Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by skipwilliams View Post
    Yes, the World Capitals is listed as Public, so anyone should be able to see it. I'll add the HTML tonight if I get a chance.

Thanks for the hint. I'm not completely fluent in HTML, but before I tried all the normal font tags, I thought it'd be best to ask.

Keep up the good work, I'd love to pay for this one.

Skip
    Skip,

Thank you. That brings up a good question -- what do you think the app is worth? I would love to go cheaper, but the Online Tools and continually monitored pre-made sets will eat a lot of time as well as server space. So I may have to up the price a bit more to cover my server costs.
    The Box idea is one that I have really liked about Learn?! (old PasmOS Flashcard app). It has 5 boxes and promotes/demotes based on a correct/incorrect answer. You can set it to only show certain boxes. I leave mine set to not show Box 5, so if I get a card correct 5 times in a row it no longer shows up. It is leaned (hopefully!).
    THANKYOU for getting this app up. I came down with the flu for a week and so haven't worked on the decks I'd posted you about before you put the app up, but have at least one A&P chapter and one Spanish chapter that I know is ready to go when I get to my computer after class tonight. Cannot WAIT to get home tonight and get this on my phone!

My 2c for pricing: The app I use on my desktop/notebook (from openwindow.com) to create my flashcards is a full teacher package with some pretty swift features and ran me $40. They have an add-on to port their flashcards to earlier Palm OS's or Pocket PC's for an additional $5 or standalone (I think) for about $10. I wouldn't think twice about paying $5 for an app on my Pre, and depending on the final feature set, wouldn't consider $10 to be outrageous.
    I'm sure whatever you charge will be reasonable.

Are you working on fixing it so it saves the order of "My Flash Card Sets" when it is change on the personal phone?

Thanks
  5.    #105  
    speedy,

I actually had not intended it as a feature, tho I did turn on ordering of lists in the code. I need to update the database to handle ordering first. Let me get all planned database changes finalized and then I will canabalize some code I wrote for another app to handle this. Have to port it to javascript and the sql lite, but can be done. Which do you want first, uploading of sets, or ordering saving?
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    speedy,

I actually had not intended it as a feature, tho I did turn on ordering of lists in the code. I need to update the database to handle ordering first. Let me get all planned database changes finalized and then I will canabalize some code I wrote for another app to handle this. Have to port it to javascript and the sql lite, but can be done. Which do you want first, uploading of sets, or ordering saving?
    Uploading cards from your phone to the data base may be more beneficial for the group.

Thanks for the feedback.
  7.    #107  
    No, thank you. I didn't feel it was that important but you showed me.
    Hey spdsktr,
    I noticed a bug that will need your attention. I finally got to start making flashcards on my phone yesterday. While reviewing, editing, my cards the cards double than tripled whenever I edit, practice or made new cards. Thinking I had copies I deleted the extras only to find out when I came back to the set to find that all cards were deleted. Let me know if you need further details.

Thanks
    Speedygodzilla
    Last edited by speedygodzilla; 09/29/2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Typo
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygodzilla View Post
    Hey spdsktr,
    I noticed a bug that will need your attention. I finally got to start making flashcards on my phone yesterday. While reviewing, editing, my cards the cards double than tripled whenever I edit, practice or made new cards. Thinking I had copies I deleted the extras only to find out when I came back to the set to find that all cards were deleted. Let me know if you need further details.

Thanks
    Speedygodzilla
    So, you are editing card after card, see multiple card in there for a few of them, delete a few, and they all get deleted? Is this correct? Not good, I'll look into it right away.
  10.    #110  
    Speedy,

Just posted v0.3.1 which fixes this. Took a moment to add in the ability to reset all learned cards from the top app menu. Thank you for letting me know.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Joe,

I do not follow.
    first off want to thank you for putting your time into offering a great service.

hmm...let me explain a different way. i like to memorize things in lists, kind of how u write out a grocery list where each word has its seperate line. so when i use online tools, and i want to write an answer as a list. after i submit and download to flashcards on pre, the answer doesnt appear as a list on the phone even though thats how i typed it on the online tools. so rather than showing up as many answers, one on each line. it appears as if i typed all answers in one line.

e.g.

I type it using online tools this way and I want it to appear on the card like this:

q: name last 4 u.s. presidents.

a: obama
    bush
    clinton
    bush

but it appears on the pre like this.

a: obama bush clinton bush
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by joejoe1 View Post
    first off want to thank you for putting your time into offering a great service.

hmm...let me explain a different way. i like to memorize things in lists, kind of how u write out a grocery list where each word has its seperate line. so when i use online tools, and i want to write an answer as a list. after i submit and download to flashcards on pre, the answer doesnt appear as a list on the phone even though thats how i typed it on the online tools. so rather than showing up as many answers, one on each line. it appears as if i typed all answers in one line.

e.g.

I type it using online tools this way and I want it to appear on the card like this:

a: obama
    bush
    clinton
    bush

but it appears on the pre like this.

a: obama bush clinton bush
    Ahhhhh, thank you for clarifying. That is high on my to-do list. I want to not only do that, but add some code to auto-size the text and make it take up more room. I'll get right on it.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    This to me right now is by far my top used app. I have never been a index/flash card studier until I really go into the muscular, skeletal and nervous systems last week. This app came right in time. Will definitely buy paid version. I hesitate when saying this but... if you are going to respond to requests and fixes in the manner you are right now, then I would buy regardless of the pricetag you put on it. For me to have my entire A & P book on my hip. Priceless
    Wow, great app! Have created and uploaded a card set that is a bit specific to my aviation study requirements and came across a few preferences that might benefit others as well.

1. Random mode is great but I'm not sure if all my cards are getting a hit, how about a Shuffle mode during the practice session as well? Just reorganizes the order of the cards so I don't get used to what card is next but at the same time goes through each card.

2. Would like to see a card number option on the display, such as 1 of xx. Obviously this would only be when not operating in Random mode.

3. When you talk to your graphics guy, could you get him to make the horizontal lines that appear on the question cards a little dimmer? It's difficult to read some of the questions (especially when using a smaller font) when the line runs through the words.

4. A second vote for making the answer card show the answers that were inputted in a vertical format to remain in that same format. When an answer involves several steps it helps considerably when they remain separated by a line break vice running together.

None of these are show stoppers, just would be nice to have features. Again, great work!
  15.    #115  
    mel & fa,

Thank you for your kind words.

Just a quick update. Currently, I am recovering from the flu. Strange, but I developed most of FlashCards while coughing, sneezing, and just feeling horrible. I need a few days to recover (and catch up on other work). By the end of this weekend, I will have several features implemented:

1.) Uploading
    2.) Third Card
    3.) Colors tweaked
    4.) Card text helper (fix line breaks, and auto-resize text)
    5.) A few other minor ideas I have
    6.) Fixing the random to be a LOT better in delivering new cards versus just a random. I am unsure how to handle this in SQL Lite, but could hammer it out in SQL Server in 30 seconds.

Having that done, I will probably disappear into oblivion while revamping the entire study system. I must thank Jacques Morel, Wilhem Brasch, speedygodzilla, george.hall, among others for their amazing ideas (offline emails and forum posts). They imparted their wisdom to me, each one brilliant on it's own. After struggling with all ideas, I think I have it. Essentially, the system will have the following:

1.) Tag cards with keywords/categories
    2.) Setup a Lesson Plan with multiple lessons (specific cards in each lesson)
    3.) Leitner Boxes (5)
    4.) Active and Inactive Cards

Then, the system will be setup for you to study 'active' cards only. You will be able to activate cards by doing a lesson in the Lesson Plan (if it exists), manually activate cards one by one, activate X number at a time, or activate cards with a specific tag.

You can then study ALL cards, all active cards, study a specific Leitner box, study a lesson in the Lesson Plan, or study cards with a specific tag.

It's a lot to put in at once. But with so many uses of FlashCards, each will be required. Lesson Plans for languages, childrens cards, and large structured sets. Leitner Boxes and Tags for you medical guys with 2,000+ cards, not to mention some crossover. I need to really think about how I am going to cram all of this into 1 tiny screen while still being kid, and young adult friendly, so it may need several revisions to be clean and clear cut. It will definately be up to all of you to let me know when I get this just right.

Again, thank you to everyone for your suggestions, ideas, and wisdom. Feel free to email me if you need something.
    Last edited by spdsktr; 10/02/2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Is this available now?
    If so, how can I download it? I can't find it in the App Catalog
    OK, I've modified my original World Capitals file, which is now called WOrld Capitals v2 and uses your "xx-large" <span> HTML tags to get the font size as large as possible. It's much more readable now thanks. The card set is marked as public and the first, now obsolete one was deleted.

$9.99 or so would seem reasonable, as long as you could get by with that cost. I'd probably pay up to $20, but that may be out of line with other applications and really dampen sales.

Skip

Skip,

Thank you. That brings up a good question -- what do you think the app is worth? I would love to go cheaper, but the Online Tools and continually monitored pre-made sets will eat a lot of time as well as server space. So I may have to up the price a bit more to cover my server costs.
  18.    #118  
    princeton,

Currently, FlashCards is ony available through PreCentral. If you have Filecoaster or PreWare, you can download it.

http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps

Skip,

Thank you for your time and effort into this. I'll review it and probably publish to the editor's picks in a little while. Mind if I rename 2 to be 1 and 1 to be 2?
  19.    #119  
    v0.5.0 has now been posted. Should be available in Filecoaster and Preware shortly.

New in this version:

* Revamped UI and Icons (looks like index cards)
    * Upload Flash Card Sets to your online tools account
    * If in plain text, puts in line breaks and resizes text properly in the practice area
    * Tweaked the card colors (should be better)
    * Finished Third Card implementation
    * Random Card now pulls better to get non-viewed cards
    * LITE version implementation (although not activated here)
    * Lots of behind the scenes cleanup/improvements
    * Updated the Online Downloads for better UI and updated the search
    * Fixed 'loading' spinner in the My Online Sets
    * Changed the default Sets to include an "Spanish: In La Casa" set

Give her a whirl and let me know what you think of the new UI. I debated the pink, but my goal was to make it look more like an index card. You be the judge...
    This is better than any iphone/touch app i have used. My ipod will never be used again,
    THANKS SO MUCH!!!!
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast