Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Now we have paid apps, too, and first thing I did, I bought the full version (I was using the fully functional lite version before). One thing that immediately hit me and that Im really not amused about: Wheres my data? Wheres my progress?

I study a set of over a thousand cards, they are distributed across a number of Leitner boxes, and now I have to start over with that?

On a related note: When I edit a set with the online tools and download them to my phone again, is there any chance that my stats will survive this, at least partially?
  2.    #242  
    Yeah, I never did build in a app-to-app transfer system because I have the Online Tools.

Simply upload them from the Lite to the Online Tools, then download to the Paid version. All the stats (learned, active, lessons, leitner boxes, etc) will get stored online, then transferred over when you download them.

When you download, the settings for each card is lost and replaced with the stats from the Online Version. I am working on cleaning this up, but not ready yet. It gets complicated with storing two sets of data and no easy way to relate the two specifically. As long as you upload to the Online Tools, then download, you are golden.

Thank you for your support, I very much appreciate it )

Now, if you get a moment, please be sure to leave a review.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  3.    #243  
    Actually... I have a much easier method for you if you are comfortable digging into the files on your device.

You can actually transfer the database from the Lite version to the Paid version directly and ALL data will literally be transferred.

Let me know if you want instructions on this.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

No, uploading and downloading did the job – I didn’t know stats survive the upload. It’s easy enough, even for people like me who are comfortable with changing files on the device. Thank you, once more, for this program.
    I tested the light version and now, as we have access to paid apps here in Germany, the first app I bought is yours! I've started to transfer my cards from Supermemo in Palm OS into this much mor capable app now. However, I came across a problem to which I couldn't find a solution in this thread: I can create cards with ,, and they display correctly in the web interface. But when I download them to my device, there is a character set problem.

Is there already a solution in place for this ?
  6.    #246  
    Quote Originally Posted by s.krokowski View Post
    I tested the light version and now, as we have access to paid apps here in Germany, the first app I bought is yours! I've started to transfer my cards from Supermemo in Palm OS into this much mor capable app now. However, I came across a problem to which I couldn't find a solution in this thread: I can create cards with ,, and they display correctly in the web interface. But when I download them to my device, there is a character set problem.

Is there already a solution in place for this ?
    Thank you

This is a known issue, but strange the way you report it. Normally, this only happens in the Excel copy/paste method. But look at the Misc tab for this set in the Online Tools. Change the encoding value, then re-download the set. Excel likes to do it's own method of things, so I have to deliver the data a bit differently.

Give that a go and let me know if it gives you any more issues.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Aehm, first: You blew my mind - a response after 4 minutes on a Sunday is so much more than I expected! And second ... yes that's the solution! I've imported the first sets from OOO 3.2 and switched to the online version then because I observed the character set problem. Maybe my card set inherited the character set specifics ? Again, thank you very much! I'll recommend your app to all my friends who own a Pre. Let me know if you need help with the German translation!
  8.    #248  
    Yeah, sounds like the encoding just got all mixed up. But you got it running. I hope to get this resolved in the near future and make this setting a thing of the past entirely.

Thank you for the offer of translation services. I am weighing what I want to do at the moment. Part of me wants to wait to do translation until v3.0 is final (which allows me to streamline it some), or to spend the time now doing it (and then redo with v3.0). Most German users seem to actually enjoy the English version.

Any Germans out there just craving a localized version? If so, then I will just go ahead and do it now. If not, then I will wait but do it for v3.0. Thanks for the recommendations!
    - James Harris

Author of:

Well I am personally absolutely fine with the English version. And I would assume that the same is true for many other of your current users. The interesting question may be if there are not-yet-users who can't get along with the English version ... those would most likely jump on the first translated flash-card-app out there (if they are in need for one), right?
    And I assume that the Pre sells quite well here in Germany - I personally know 6 other users. But none of them had any probs with the English version, to be honest.
  10.    #250  
    Good point. I would not be hearing from those who needed the German version. Thank you for bringing it up.

Your English is VERY good. I will definitely let you know when the time is right for the translation. My wife can do the Spanish translation, so now I just need a French translator. Even a Chinese one fairly soon if the Pre is truly launching there like we have heard...
    - James Harris

Author of:

Ok, just let me know when it's time to start - I'll be there! And thx for the flowers ;-)
    I have a set here which I created using Excel and saved in UTF-8 and it displays fine on the device.

However, it does not display fine in the web interface. The pages that the web server delivers have content="text/html; charset=utf-8" set all right, but it seems that the page itself is in ISO-8859-1 instead. I do not dare editing there at all now.
    What's new in the 2.3 update?

Just curious since I saw the update icon in the App Catalog.

Love this app by the way.
  14.    #254  
    v2.3.00 has really a lot of little tweaks. I had reports of some users not seeing the opening screen animation on the first load (after the first run instructions) and had to restart the app to see the buttons. I added some code to ensure this runs in the odd error or two. Some other minor things like this as well.

It also full standardizes the Audio Controls into the new HTML 5 spec. This is in anticipation of well, the new audio recording functions to be launched soon. Just waiting on a bug in webOS to be fixed before I can roll this out.

I launched it now so that everyone will be updated to the new Audio Controls before the bug is fixed. It runs audio a LOT faster, smoother, and has pause capabilities now. It's all been in Beta for a couple weeks, and this standardizes it.

Then again, maybe I just wanted it at the top of the list for the AT&T Launch *grin* Nah, that had nothing to do with it.
    - James Harris

Author of:

This morning I launched FlashCards for the first time in a while and noticed that the hint tab does not pop up any more. I went back into the prefs and made sure that they were set properly, but to no avail. The keyboard shortcut "h" still works, however.
  16.    #256  
    The hint tab will not show if there is no hint. But you are correct, the keyboard shortcut still works and should say there is no hint.

What is the name of the set you are working on? I can look it up to make sure it does have hints. You can also double check by editing the card and ensuring there is hint data in that field.

Let me know so I can investigate.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Oh, it definitely has hints. The name of the set is "NPCR vocab combined". I made it a while ago with hints because at that point we couldn't set up 3-sided cards.
  18.    #258  
    Hmm, everything looks fine, but something is not working properly. Never seen this before. Gimme a little bit of time to work it out? I can duplicate it on my end, but I need to dig deep on this one.
    - James Harris

Author of:

OK, thanks!
    First off, I love this app, it is a life saver. If I pass the bar, you will get a lot of the credit :-) so you already have 5 stars from me, but...

(I didn't read through this entire thread, so apologies if you've already heard similar things) it would be AMAZING if (1) you could combine sets for the purposes of study (like, I want to study everything in box 1 from more than one set at the same time, but I don't want the cards I've already learned so just making a huge csv file is no good), (2) you could search through all the cards from a set under one of the views just by beginning to type, (3) the online tools didn't automatically put paragraph tags around the text when you go to edit a card (I like the auto size feature a lot and the html tags disable it), (4) the online tools had a place to edit the notes, boxes, bookmarked, etc., for each card, basically everything that you can do on the device.

Thanks again for a great app.