Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    <gushing>First of all, I think James has done a fine job bringing this to our community and it was one of the first apps that I bought. He has been fast to respond and I'm grateful for his work. </gushing>

Is there anyone else out there doing much by way of Mandarin? Has anyone combined audio for any foreign language into their cards? (If so, please submit a link.)
    I created a card with a bit of embedded HTML:
    l’ordinateur <it>m</it>
    Now this text is presented in tiny text on the card. Text without HTML is shown as big as usual. Is this expected behaviour?
    It supports html codes for modifying the text. What I was hoping for is a way to directly access the audio/image files on my Pre as opposed to pulling them down.

Another post is dealing with the inability to access local files using the file:// protocol.

So far the only workaround seems to involve turning your Pre into its own standalone webserver (light).
  4.    #224  
    Quote Originally Posted by Highbrow View Post
    I created a card with a bit of embedded HTML:

Now this text is presented in tiny text on the card. Text without HTML is shown as big as usual. Is this expected behaviour?
    Actually, yes, it is an expected behavior. The issue relates to the way the auto grow functions. By default, it looks for HTML code and if present, disables the auto grow feature.

The reasoning behind this is that HTML can have it's own color, size, etc embedded. I plan on trying to make it much smarter to look for these (and if not present grow it just the same), but issues arise when using bulleted or numbered lists.

A lot of users also do not like the text auto grow feature. So I am struggling with the best way to handle all of this so that it is clear, works to suit everyone's taste, and is easy to change the way you want it to work. I.E. More preferences soon...

As a temp measure, you can use Text Size attributes in your HTML to make this work. I need up update the new HTML Editor to alert you to this downside (or positive depending on how you look at it) when you activate the HTML methods.
    Thanks to text file import, I can perform large-scale changes on cards. This makes it quite bearable to add this style="font-size:30px;" to all cards. A warning would have nice, of course.
  6.    #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by Highbrow View Post
    Thanks to text file import, I can perform large-scale changes on cards. This makes it quite bearable to add this style="font-size:30px;" to all cards. A warning would have nice, of course.
    I have tried to make it known (FlashCards: How To), but will be sure to do more for this.

You can still quickly do this for all records. I have a little 'trick' I use, that I will detail here.

1.) Add a new row before and after the row you want to add the style to.
    2.) In the before row, enter the info you want to put before the data (i.e.<span style='font-size:30px'>.
    3.) I do this to the first cell, then select all cells below it. Hit CTRL + D to copy down the data from the first cell to all the ones below it.
    4.) Use the same technique in the 'after' row using </span>

Now, the data is in 3 columns that we need in one. So I copy all 3 rows into Notepad. Do a find and replace: replace <tab> with <nothing> (you can cannot type in a tab, so I copy/paste it from the data). When you paste into Notepad, it becomes tab delimited data.

Once the tabs are replaced, it's singular column data. Just copy/paste back into Excel.

I realize this may seem complicated, and there may be an easier way to do this in Excel itself. But I have used this method quite a good bit since I started using Excel and needing to wrap data in something. Only takes 3 minutes once you get used to doing it and works for anything.
    Last edited by spdsktr; 02/18/2010 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    I realize this may seem complicated, and there may be an easier way to do this in Excel itself.
    It doesn’t sound complicated to me. I was thinking of exactly the same thing. With a proper editor (Vim) instead of Notepad. But I realize that regular expressions are not for the faint of heart.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hello,
    First off amazing product. It is now even better with all the upgrades for a very low price for the app. Just wanted to ask if there was a way around a bug when using BOLD html. When I have something in BOLD & then save the card, it usually will duplicate whatever is after the bold twice on the same card. EG: "what is TWO PLUS TWO minus one?" (TWO PLUS TWO in bold) minus one? will now be repeated after the question on the same card. The only way to get rid of this is to erase the whole question and retype it without using BOLD. Any suggestions? Thank you.
  9.    #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by midcoast View Post
    Hello,
    First off amazing product. It is now even better with all the upgrades for a very low price for the app. Just wanted to ask if there was a way around a bug when using BOLD html. When I have something in BOLD & then save the card, it usually will duplicate whatever is after the bold twice on the same card. EG: "what is TWO PLUS TWO minus one?" (TWO PLUS TWO in bold) minus one? will now be repeated after the question on the same card. The only way to get rid of this is to erase the whole question and retype it without using BOLD. Any suggestions? Thank you.
    Thank you )

I have not heard of such a bug, nor have I ran across it myself. Are you using the new HTML Editor? Also, what browser (and version) are you using? As soon as I can duplicate the issue, I will get it resolved.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Yes I am using the new HTML editor. I have Palm OS 1.3.5.1 & Flash Cards v2.0.07 I am actually getting it most of the time I use BOLD or [I]Italic[I]....when I dont use those features there is never a problem. Also, when there is a duplication, every time I save the card, it again duplicates what it originally duplicated. eg: minus two? minus two? minus two? (happened if I tried saiving the card 3 times. Thanks again for looking into this.
  11.    #231  
    I was actually able to duplicate and confirm this. It's a bug in the HTML Editor itself. It basically happens when there is not a <p> tag wrapping the data. Will see if I can find a work-around.

Are you really using the Online Tools with the Pre? It was designed for desktop management. What browser on your computer are you using?
  12.    #232  
    midcoast,

I think I have a temporary solution in place. Can you please check and confirm? It is not going to fix existing issues, but will not happen on anything new.

I know it still happens if you Toggle the View and then back again, but will not happen on straight submission. Bug filed and hopefully a fix will come along soon enough. Will start diving into the code myself.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I am using the desktop, windows XP, to make & edit the flash cards. I then sync them to my Pre. I do not write or edit the cards on the Pre itself.
  14.    #234  
    midcoast,

I think we posted in unisom. Can you try it now and confirm you do not see this any more?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Just got a chance to make some cards and check and it looks like the problem is fixed. Thank you for working out the small bug & congratulations on such a great product.
  16.    #236  
    My apologies for letting that one slip through the cracks. This editor is new to me, but I chose it for the simplicity. Wanted something people could use for the basics that did not get all technical on them.

Thank you for the comments about FlashCards. If you get a chance, please be sure to leave a review.
    I'm starting to create cards and wondering if it's possible to set different card colors for different sets? This app & the online stuff is awesome, I can't wait for the timed launching option, 5 stars then for sure!
    Thanks
  18.    #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I'm starting to create cards and wondering if it's possible to set different card colors for different sets? This app & the online stuff is awesome, I can't wait for the timed launching option, 5 stars then for sure!
    Thanks
    Currently, no, you cannot do different colors for each set. That is a definite 3.0 feature, along with all other card preferences (and some new ones).

But is the "Flash Me" feature really required for 5 stars? Why is it not deserving of the full 5 already?
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Currently, no, you cannot do different colors for each set. That is a definite 3.0 feature, along with all other card preferences (and some new ones).

But is the "Flash Me" feature really required for 5 stars? Why is it not deserving of the full 5 already?
    I posted a review in the App Catalog, and I did give it 5 stars, "Flash Me" would make it 6 stars.
  20.    #240  
    thank you

FlashMe and sooo much more. Actually starting on the programming now.

Have you see the 3.0 feature list? If not, take a gander at this: Future FlashCards Features

It might be changing soon. I found an alternate way to cache images/audio, so the File I/O controls are not as critical now. I also found a good way to let you guys start recording audio from your desktop, so no waiting for the Mic API. Guess I got tired of waiting on Palm... and these are actually higher priority to me than auto synching (but that is still important).
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook