webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Voxofon Call Abroad
Voxofon Call Abroad
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11/06/2009, 10:40 AM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
voxofon's Avatar
 
Posts: 42
Happy to hear that everything works fine.

Regarding the pricing... Please send an email to support AT voxofon DOT com.

Thank you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyneth View Post
Update: have just remanaged my var space with mvapp and was able to update from the app catalog, link works just fine now, thank you. Still looking forward to the update on precentral in a couple of weeks.

Also still hoping for a virtual number in Indonesia and interested in the pricing for Singapore. Thanks again voxofon!
voxofon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 12:24 AM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
BobKy's Avatar
 
Posts: 396
Voxofon is a GREAT app!! Thank you for developing it.
BobKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 10:44 AM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
voxofon's Avatar
 
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
Voxofon is a GREAT app!! Thank you for developing it.
Thank you for the kind words!

Please, do not hesitate to contact our customer service if you have any questions or encounter any issues.

BTW we are really close to releasing a new version with many new features
voxofon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2009, 06:04 PM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
voxofon's Avatar
 
Posts: 42
Hello everybody!

We are happy to announce Voxofon version 1.2.1 for Palm webOS.

The new features:
  • Calls to Skype, Google Talk, Gizmo5 and SIP destinations
  • Full call history
  • Use/manage your contacts stored at Voxofon.com
  • Improved Pixi support

Your feedback is very welcome!
voxofon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2009, 02:49 PM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
TreoRock's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,092
How do you use skype? I typed an skype ID and after dialing the number shown I asks me for an id number?

Update: OK, so I had to go the the voxofon site and enter my skypeID, but still the people that get my calls don't see my name, they see voxofon as the ID.
__________________

Last edited by TreoRock; 12/03/2009 at 03:35 PM.
TreoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2009, 04:21 PM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
voxofon's Avatar
 
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
How do you use skype? I typed an skype ID and after dialing the number shown I asks me for an id number?

Update: OK, so I had to go the the voxofon site and enter my skypeID, but still the people that get my calls don't see my name, they see voxofon as the ID.
Due the closed nature of Skype network we are not able to pass arbitrary CallerID in Skype calls. So your contact will see a call coming from Voxofon.

However we will add a feature to our system that will send a message to the recipient telling who is calling. So they will get IM from Voxofon telling them that for example John is calling and then they get a call from Voxofon.

As far as being asked to enter a PIN code after calling the access number - please, make sure that:

1. you have specified your own mobile number including the country code in Voxofon app (app menu -> Preferences).

2. your CallerID is not hidden

Please, do not hesitate to contact our customer service if you have any questions.
voxofon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 09:28 AM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1
After installation the application does not automatically recognize / call the local access number. What do I have to do? (Switzerland / SIM card from Orange / WebOS 1.3.1).
lbielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 10:00 AM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
voxofon's Avatar
 
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbielke View Post
After installation the application does not automatically recognize / call the local access number. What do I have to do? (Switzerland / SIM card from Orange / WebOS 1.3.1).
Do you get any error messages?

Go to Voxofon app, tap on app menu, select Preferences. Make sure your number is listed under This Mobile including the country code.

If the problem persists, please, send an email to support AT voxofon DOT com with your profile email and/or mobile number.

Sincerely,
Voxofon Support
voxofon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2010, 11:08 AM   #69 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 20
just find this app and love it. I have a question:

I will travel to china. I know I can use this app to make a call when I want to. The problem is how my wife call me if she wants? She has no smart phone. If she uses dial pad on web the call rate could be double of the direct call rate. Is there a locall access number list so that we can use it as phone card when necessary? Btw, I only found some local number at different countries. Not the US number.
thanks.
peterdhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2010, 10:26 PM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
voxofon's Avatar
 
Posts: 42
Thank you for the positive comment

When you are in China, please, make sure you use a local phone to make calls or to receive callbacks to - if you use a US cell plan, your US operator will charge the roaming fees for the calls made or received through your US cell.

Please, note that your wife must call a local Chinese number where she can reach you. Calling your US cell number will trigger roaming charges.

Your wife can use our new service - Voxofon Express. It is in open beta now - the final roll-out will be later in January.

For each international contact, you get a unique direct US number (Express Number). To call your friend, you just dial this number from your phone (cell or landline, registered at Voxofon.com). That's it. You can store the Express Numbers in the address book on your phone.

At the moment this service is in a beta stage and we have only a few numbers in Houston available. We will be adding other areas in early 2010. If you can call Houston area code (713) cheaply you can try this service. To do this:

1. Login into Voxofon.com

2. Enter your phone numbers (including the country code) in My Account page.

3. Add your friends' numbers (with country codes) in Contacts and mark them as Favorites. Or add their numbers directly on Favorites page. You will then see the corresponding Express Numbers.

4. To reach your friend, call the corresponding Express Number from your registered phone. No PIN codes to enter, no Internet connection necessary.

5. Express numbers are permanent - you can store them in the address book on your cell phone, add them to speed dials etc.

Please, let us know about your experience with this service. All feedback is very welcome.



Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdhx View Post
just find this app and love it. I have a question:

I will travel to china. I know I can use this app to make a call when I want to. The problem is how my wife call me if she wants? She has no smart phone. If she uses dial pad on web the call rate could be double of the direct call rate. Is there a locall access number list so that we can use it as phone card when necessary? Btw, I only found some local number at different countries. Not the US number.
thanks.
voxofon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2010, 10:58 PM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 20
I tried, yes it works. The only inconvenient thing is to set up every time before make the calls.

Now the calls are like this:
If call from US smart phone, direct use the pre app to initial the call. straight forward.
If call from US regular phone, dial the express number, which assigned before each call. clear but not convenient.
If call from China, will have to use smart phone app and wifi to initial a call-back-to-local-number call. this is the most interesting part. It is low cost and convenient when there is no computer but there is wifi.
However, it is not convenient to initial a call from china when only computer/no wifi is available. You will have to set up a call back with web rate.


I do find an interesting thing:
When I make a US to China call from my smart phone, it connects a US local number first. I tried to use my registered smart phone to dial that US local number and it asks for a destination number. It looks like it can work as a phone card style. Why not post all your local access number so that we can benefit from low cost and convenience without using the WebOS app?

Anyway, it is an option for international calls. Only if the voice quality is clear, it will get more and more attention.

Good job, guys.

Last edited by peterdhx; 01/04/2010 at 11:03 PM.
peterdhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2010, 11:29 PM   #72 (permalink)
Member
 
voxofon's Avatar
 
Posts: 42
Thank you for trying Voxofon services.

Just to clarify... When calling from a US landline you seem to have dialed one of our access numbers which is used by the mobile apps.

Voxofon Express is a different service. You get a permanent unique local number for each of your contacts. When you dial that unique number from your registered phone, it automatically connects you to the destination. You do not hear any prompts and do not have to enter the destination via DTMF. You just dial the Express Number.

If you called an Express Number and got the prompt, please contact support AT voxofon DOT com with your email or cell number (and the access number you called) and we will look into this.

The information about this service is not yet published on our web site (although the service itself is available as an open beta). So we will be more than happy to post more detailed explanation here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdhx View Post
I tried, yes it works. The only inconvenient thing is to set up every time before make the calls.

Now the calls are like this:
If call from US smart phone, direct use the pre app to initial the call. straight forward.
If call from US regular phone, dial the express number, which assigned before each call. clear but not convenient.
If call from China, will have to use smart phone app and wifi to initial a call-back-to-local-number call. this is the most interesting part. It is low cost and convenient when there is no computer but there is wifi.
However, it is not convenient to initial a call from china when only computer/no wifi is available. You will have to set up a call back with web rate.


I do find an interesting thing:
When I make a US to China call from my smart phone, it connects a US local number first. I tried to use my registered smart phone to dial that US local number and it asks for a destination number. It looks like it can work as a phone card style. Why not post all your local access number so that we can benefit from low cost and convenience without using the WebOS app?

Anyway, it is an option for international calls. Only if the voice quality is clear, it will get more and more attention.

Good job, guys.
voxofon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2010, 12:05 PM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 20
Frankly speaking, the idea of Express number is quite good. I like it.

Another question, how many registered numbers I can have for a single account? Now I registered my cell phone, home phone and my wife's cell phone. Can I registered more?

Many thanks.
peterdhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2010, 05:14 PM   #74 (permalink)
Member
 
voxofon's Avatar
 
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdhx View Post
Frankly speaking, the idea of Express number is quite good. I like it.

Another question, how many registered numbers I can have for a single account? Now I registered my cell phone, home phone and my wife's cell phone. Can I registered more?

Many thanks.
At the moment you can register 3 phone numbers from the web interface. We may add the ability to add more numbers later. For now, you can just send them to us by email to support AT voxofon DOT com and we will add them to your account.

During this initial beta test you can have only up to 5 destinations that get the express numbers. This will be expanded to 20 in the coming weeks and we will add more areas with the express numbers.
voxofon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2010, 10:37 PM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 20
just found the call rate changed from 1.3 to 1.8c/min and 2.5c to 3.1c/min
the rate can not compete with calling card. I think it might hurt voxofon

and the calling quality is not as good as a decent phone card.

for me, from new york to china. the quality are: phone card is better than google voice, and google voice is better, or not worse, than voxofon

just my 2 cents.
peterdhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2010, 09:35 AM   #76 (permalink)
Member
 
zagor's Avatar
 
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxofon View Post
If you use your cell phone overseas and make or receive phone calls on it you will be charged for roaming by your mobile operator. No app can help with that.

You have two alternatives to avoid roaming fees:
  • You need access to a local number where you can receive a phone call (office, hotel etc). Then you can use Voxofon app on your Pre to setup a callback from that local number to the destination.
  • For unlocked GSM phones, you can use a local SIM.
Well ok, there is 3rd option
  • use wifi connection and use REAL VoIP application supporting e.g. SIP so you connect to proxy using your user@proxy.name.com user/password and call other VoIP users or abroad numbers using you call-out credit. And you can receive phone calls if you have number bound to your account. Of course you need to have wifi and application running.

Simple but takes so long on Palm....
zagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2010, 02:58 PM   #77 (permalink)
Member
 
voxofon's Avatar
 
Posts: 42
Our rates to China are 1.8 cents per minute. This is cheaper than other mobile apps for international calling. We had a promotion around Christmas time with lower rates to some destinations.

When comparing the call rates to calling cards, please, make sure to consider additional and/or hidden charges that exist on most cards - connection, disconnection, maintenance and service fees, credit expiration. They may be not as convenient to use.

As far as the call quality is concerned, we want to make sure we offer the best possible quality. If you encounter any issues, please, contact our customer service by email at support AT voxofon DOT com with the details such as the phone number(s) called, approximate date and time of the calls as well as the exact problem encountered. We will then be able to file a complaint with our providers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdhx View Post
just found the call rate changed from 1.3 to 1.8c/min and 2.5c to 3.1c/min
the rate can not compete with calling card. I think it might hurt voxofon

and the calling quality is not as good as a decent phone card.

for me, from new york to china. the quality are: phone card is better than google voice, and google voice is better, or not worse, than voxofon

just my 2 cents.
voxofon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2010, 12:35 PM   #78 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 20
well, I'm not picking, just try to feedback.

phone cards are changing too.
please check firstphonecard.com 90% phone cards are pinless, rechargable, local access, toll free call back, no hidden fee, no connection fee, no extra service charge. And their rate is 1.5-2 c/min

as for the quality, the difference is between landline and cell phone. It is clear but different.

as for us non commercial users, we won't switch unless the difference is really big. For me, I'm still with my 3-year old phone card and I haven't feel urge to change.

I understand it is quite competitive for VOIP services. (for example this one: zenofon.com)

anyway, good luck.

Last edited by peterdhx; 01/10/2010 at 01:28 PM.
peterdhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2010, 06:13 PM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
BobKy's Avatar
 
Posts: 396
Help with a problem please. When I start a call I get the message: "No local number available." Voxofon had previously worked properly in my area. Had to re-initialize my Pre and since then it hasn't worked properly.Also, installed the latest Pre update yesterday. Thanks.
BobKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2010, 10:50 PM   #80 (permalink)
Member
 
voxofon's Avatar
 
Posts: 42
Thank you for the feedback!

The main goal of our applications is to make it easier (and cheaper for people to use alternative communication channels. It is more convenient to use phone's contacts to call a friend then to enter destination phone number via DTMF.

We would appreciate if you could send us more detailed information about the calls that had low quality.


Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdhx View Post
well, I'm not picking, just try to feedback.

phone cards are changing too.
please check firstphonecard.com 90% phone cards are pinless, rechargable, local access, toll free call back, no hidden fee, no connection fee, no extra service charge. And their rate is 1.5-2 c/min

as for the quality, the difference is between landline and cell phone. It is clear but different.

as for us non commercial users, we won't switch unless the difference is really big. For me, I'm still with my 3-year old phone card and I haven't feel urge to change.

I understand it is quite competitive for VOIP services. (for example this one: zenofon.com)

anyway, good luck.
voxofon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Tags
communication, voip

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0