Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Any advantages over Google Voice service wise?, rates seem to be higher at least to australia
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Will my credit balance ever expire? Or will there be a maintenance fee?
    There are no additional fees. And no credit expiration. After 1 year of inactivity (no calls made, no messages sent) we may close unused accounts.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    Any advantages over Google Voice service wise?, rates seem to be higher at least to australia
    Each service has its advantages and disadvantages. The best way to decide is to try both

As far as the rates to Australia are concerned:
    Calls to Australia-landline:
    Voxofon: 2.5 c/min link
    GV: 3 c/min link

We have even lower prices to certain cities in Australia:
    Sydney: 1.39 c/min link

The call to the nearest access number may be free for you or may use your plan minutes.

Please note that prices are subject to change.
    I used Minowireless on my Treo and the app was just OK. Now, I'm running it on Classic and it isn't any better. So I tried to use google voice and the rates to Lima Peru are just too high compared to Mino. So now with Voxofone I get a nice interface with mino's rates. Awesome! I have auto refill on now. Thank you for the nice app!
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I used Minowireless on my Treo and the app was just OK. Now, I'm running it on Classic and it isn't any better. So I tried to use google voice and the rates to Lima Peru are just too high compared to Mino. So now with Voxofone I get a nice interface with mino's rates. Awesome! I have auto refill on now. Thank you for the nice app!
    You are very welcome!

Please, do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions.

And do not forget to rate Voxofon app on PreCentral.net
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voxofon View Post
    Yes, it is possible if you make PC-to-Phone call from Voxofon.com (the site contains a softphone applet that can place a call over your broadband connection). But this is only for calls form a PC (Windows or Linux).
    Would it be possible to make an applet for Pre that could call using VOIP if you were using a WiFi connection while overseas?
    Small bug - clicking on the online help link through the app links to a mistyped url. It begins with a duplicate http:/http:/

Nevertheless this app is fabulous!
    Thanks
    OK. I am in Tokyo in a hotel with WIFI. Can I use the voxofon Pre app to call the USA despite the fact that the PRE is Sprint which does not work abroad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beasley1951 View Post
    OK. I am in Tokyo in a hotel with WIFI. Can I use the voxofon Pre app to call the USA despite the fact that the PRE is Sprint which does not work abroad?
    Not exactly...
    The main way that Voxofon is used on the Pre is...
    1) first go to www . voxofon .com , create an account, and load some money into your account
    2) launch the app on your Pre and enter the phone number you want to dial
    3) You can then have the app either a) Give you a local number to use to route your call or b) Call you back and automatically route your call
    (in option A, Sprint will deduct minutes for your locally routed call)
    (in option B, you will merely incur an incoming call which I believe Sprint deems to be free)
    However in either option A or B, you ARE being charged by Voxofon.

Now in your specific situation being in Tokyo... You can't use your Pre (the browser is not compatible with this next feature), but you can use a PC and go to www . voxofon .com and make your call through their website.
    1) log into your account on their website
    2) use the dial pad on their website to place your call
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbloflin View Post
    Would it be possible to make an applet for Pre that could call using VOIP if you were using a WiFi connection while overseas?
    Unfortunately this is not possible in the current versions of webOS platform - there are no APIs to access audio devices and handle VoIP codecs.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Any plans to offer virtual numbers in Germany? Or is this not possible due to German regulations? That would be the one thing that would instantly win me over from Google Voice.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by RealMayo View Post
    Small bug - clicking on the online help link through the app links to a mistyped url. It begins with a duplicate http:/http:/

Nevertheless this app is fabulous!
    Thanks
    Thank you for the kind words

About the bug - do you mean a link to the website on the main Help screen? The fix will be in the next version.
  13.    #33  
    Not exactly...
    1) first go to www . voxofon .com , create an account, and load some money into your account
    2) launch the app on your Pre and enter the phone number you want to dial
    3) You can then have the app either a) Give you a local number to use to route your call or b) Call you back and automatically route your call
    (in option A, Sprint will deduct minutes for your locally routed call)
    (in option B, you will merely incur an incoming call which I believe Sprint deems to be free)
    However in either option A or B, you ARE being charged by Voxofon.

Now in your specific situation being in Tokyo... You can't use your Pre (the browser is not compatible with this next feature), but you can use a PC and go to www . voxofon .com and make your call through their website.
    1) log into your account on their website
    2) use the dial pad on their website to place your call
    Let me add to this... Although it is not possible to have your call go completely over WiFi, you can use WiFi connection for call setup. But in this case you will need to have a local phone in Tokyo where you can receive a phone call.

If you have such a phone, you can use Voxofon app on Pre to setup a "Callback" call. You enter the destination number as usual (in Voxofon dialer or select from Contacts), click on "more" and then "Callback Other". Enter the Tokyo phone number (including the country code) in "Receive callback at" field. Click "Callback".

Voxofon system will call your Tokyo number. You answer the call. Then the system will call the destination number.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by allenkt View Post
    Any plans to offer virtual numbers in Germany? Or is this not possible due to German regulations? That would be the one thing that would instantly win me over from Google Voice.
    You are right about the regulations. We have access to the virtual numbers in Germany, but each number requires documentation from the end-user confirming that the user lives in the same area where the number is located.

Also forwarding such a number to a German mobile is quite expensive.
  15.    #35  
    Not exactly...
    You can also create a Voxofon account directly from the app. Your account is automatically credited with $0.50 to test the service.

We are working on adding the ability to refill the account directly on the phone.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    You are right about the regulations. We have access to the virtual numbers in Germany, but each number requires documentation from the end-user confirming that the user lives in the same area where the number is located.

Also forwarding such a number to a German mobile is quite expensive.
    Well the way I understand the virtual numbers (and please correct me if I'm wrong), is that I would be assigned a virtual number in say, Berlin, Germany. Then my daughter in Berlin could call that number and it would automatically be forwarded to my landline (or mobile) in the U.S. Then she pays nothing for the call and I pay the monthly charge plus I assume some per-minute charge.

But you are saying that due to the German documentation process this is not feasible?
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by allenkt View Post
    Well the way I understand the virtual numbers (and please correct me if I'm wrong), is that I would be assigned a virtual number is say, Berlin, Germany. Then my daughter in Berlin could call that number and it would automatically be forwarded to my landline (or mobile) in the U.S. Then she pays nothing for the call and I pay the monthly charge plus I assume some per-minute charge.

But you are saying that due to the German documentation process this is not feasible?
    Your understanding is completely correct.

In most countries you can buy such a number with a click of a button. But for Germany we need to submit evidence (for example, a recent electricity bill) confirming the name of the person buying the number and that the address is in Berlin.

If you are interested in obtaining such a number and have the necessary documentation, please email us at support AT voxofon DOT com and we can setup the number manually.
    Thank you for the kind words

About the bug - do you mean a link to the website on the main Help screen? The fix will be in the next version.
    Yes that is what I mean. Thanks
    i'd like to try your software out but i have a few questions. first, if i use it on my prepaid blackberry , do i lose my prepaid minutes too ? second, will i be able to call someone from Vietnam and whats the rate

thanks
    As I mentioned earlier you can either initiate the call and then lose minutes OR you can have the app do a call back to you with your party already on the line. The latter option is an incoming call so you'll have to find out if your carrier deducts minutes for incoming calls. Whether you choose an outgoing or incoming call, in either case it is routed through a local access number so it is like you called somebody locally in your own town.

Nevertheless Voxofone gives you a free trial worth 50 cents on a call, so it doesn't hurt to just try it out!
    Last edited by RealMayo; 09/24/2009 at 08:27 PM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast