Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    only about 2 blocks off, looks good!
    Nice app. Here are some free suggestions. If you don't like them I offer full refunds

1. Enable toggling the system on & off via SMS message
    2. Enable a optional password to both turn the service on and turn it off
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Is there a restriction on the symbols contained in the key?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbuttry View Post
    Great work so far. Any way of putting date/time of last update on the web page?
    Just added it.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbri View Post
    Is there a restriction on the symbols contained in the key?
    As of right now yes. Only letters and numbers. No spaces or other characters.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    only about 2 blocks off, looks good!
    Yes, I've noticed the same thing sometimes. From the same exact spot on my desk it sometimes tells me almost exactly. Other times it is a block or 2 off. It's the GPS chip, not the software. I wonder how the Pixi's GPS will compare.
    I am where I am now. Woo hoo. Quick question, how hard would it be to create an option to update more frequently? That is something that I would like to have.
    So your server keeps track of all of these queries but I was curious for how long? Or do you only save the last x many? I am just curious.

Also let us know when the HTTPS page is turned on.

After playing with it, can you add an option that would send us to Google maps on the browser end? I cannot really tell where I am at and cannot zoom from your page.

Can you also display the coordinates on the screen as well for us?

Your last update time is off on the server. it does not match my Pre's Last updated time. Your server says it is about 18 min in the future. ii
    Last edited by Paladin; 09/17/2009 at 02:04 PM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I am where I am now. Woo hoo. Quick question, how hard would it be to create an option to update more frequently? That is something that I would like to have.
    It is actually very simple. However, I am waiting to see what kind of server/database load this gets. It's only been around for a few hours and has logged over 440 unique keys (I have no idea who's who and never will).

400 * 1440 updates in a day = 576,000 locations in 24 hours. If it's every 1 minute then thats over 5,000,000 a day.

BOTTOM LINE: YOU'RE TOTALLY RIGHT

I am going to have to have a cleanup job running every hour or so. Maybe we will only keep track of the last 10 or so updates.

I would love to keep this a free app or nearly free app. However servers aren't free. I'm all for getting creative with monetization though.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    So your server keeps track of all of these queries but I was curious for how long? Or do you only save the last x many? I am just curious.

Also let us know when the HTTPS page is turned on.
    Right now it's not deleting anything. That won't last at this rate (see my previous post)
    Very cool, man.

Really need to be able to zoom in to see where exactly I am or zoom out to see which town. A picture is not enough.

Name could be changed to tracker or something to that effect. Stalker just seems creepy

Anyway, Good job.
    It's so good it's scary! Promise me you're not activating my camera to watch what I'm doing. ;-)

SUGGESTIONS: The Google map on cellstalker.com does not have pan/zoom enabled, and there is no geographic information displayed. If the map does not have any recognizible landmarks, you won't know where you are. Can you add pan/zoom or info?

Also, the reported update time seems to be fast. It said 3:15 when it was actually 3:08

Finally, how about a mobile version of your web page so you can see the map on a different Pre?

Anyone want to know where I am? CellStalker key = GoBears.
    Last edited by GoBears; 09/17/2009 at 02:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    hey this is great, I have been waiting for latitude to come out and have tried the other hack listed in the forums which resulted in my pre running like molases. this works great, and I am happy to contribute $. post your paypal account, we need to keep people developing if we dont all want to be apple clones!
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geiger View Post
    I just paid the $30 for an SSL certificate.
    Now I need to turn it on.

It's not completely enabled yet but you should be able to access it after it's turned on by the following...
    https://www.cellstalker.com/map.aspx?key=YOUR-KEY-HERE
    Very cool. How about on the Pre's end? Sending updates via https?
    I feel for you, your bandwidth usage will go nuts...

I think you may want to just have an option for this to go directly to Google Maps somehow.

Maybe Email/SMS a link with the URL w/current coordinates or the like on a regular (user defined) basis or if called upon*. If it is Email, I can filter it to my Gmail and not even see them unless I want to. ii

*I think the way others were going to do it may be best. Just have it send you an SMS/Email to Google Maps when it receives an SMS with the key.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Oh, btw. Those of you who are showing as 'a couple blocks away' or whatever:

Keep in mind that this is how the pre decides where it is at.

If it doesn't already have a good gps fix:

1) If you're on wifi, it will look up the SSID of the wireless network you are on and if it's in whatever database it looks at online (go wardrivers!) it will use the coordinates found there

2) It will give the gps position of the tower you are on.

So, it's only as accurate as whichever of those it's using.
    This is so great!

I can now leave my phone at home and go off with my girlfriend while my wife is at work.

I love this country.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by lionsgraphics View Post
    Very cool, man.

Really need to be able to zoom in to see where exactly I am or zoom out to see which town. A picture is not enough.

Name could be changed to tracker or something to that effect. Stalker just seems creepy

Anyway, Good job.
    I agree and I agree!

I will be re-examining the more advance Google Maps API. It feels better when you can zoom and drag the map.

I too was hesitant about the name, but my immature sense of amusement got the better of me. We can change this down the road if need be.
    Great app idea! A couple of things...

- When pressing "Generate New Key", the key often has the word "undefined" embedded in it.

- The Google map on the Cellstalker web page isn't very manipulable. I wanted to zoom in to the few blocks immediately around my location, but clicking to zoom hardly made any difference. Are there a few more controls you could enable on the Google map?
    I just noticed if I turn it off and close the card and then reopen the app it is back on.
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast