Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Very simple app. All it does is toggle your GPS setting. This way you don't have to open the location settings preferences to toggle between having GPS on or off. When you press the app icon, you will feel either a short vibration and see a banner telling you whether GPS is on or off.

Made by request from fr4nk1yn.

You're welcome to suggest additions/changes to this app, but for the moment my other app, Brightness Unlinked, is the priority.

Link to app: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/gps-toggle

Last edited by zinge; 09/23/2009 at 07:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    This is so nice. I don't think it needs todo anything else. Thanks!
    Simple, yet useful! Thanks!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    This app is so Zen!

No interface
    No lag to load
    Vibrate and notify - DONE!

Love it!

Thanks to (in no particular order) zinge and fr4nk1yn!

Donation to come...

Cheers,

-JerryG
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    thanks
    I'm guessing not having gps on saves battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by klubhead View Post
    I'm guessing not having gps on saves battery?
    same question here...
    Thank!

This will get a spot before GM and SprintNav.
    It's not enough for me to just hit "Thanks", no, I have to say it. Thank you.
    Perfect--now i don't have to have location services right next to Sprint Nav and Google Maps since this is EXACTLY what i need to do. The "instant toggle" concept is great!
    Just what I was looking for! Thanks!
    Very cool app, thanks. It did give me a thought. What are your thoughts on expanding it to be "toggle power savings." it could turn off gps, bluetooth and wifi. It'd need to be configurable (wifi is good in some situations). There may be other such things too.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klubhead View Post
    i'm guessing not having gps on saves battery?
    correct.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    @Zinge: since you seem to be the "power utilities guru", why not take all of these ideas a BIG step further? Here's my idea... tell me if it's doable.

POWER PROFILER!

I'm sick and tired of constantly switching on/off various power-hungry features like GPS/location services, push e-mail, bluetooth, wifi, screen brightness, and data roaming to suit my needs throughout the day.

Why not design an app that allows us to select certain preset "profiles," and then allow us to create our own CUSTOM PROFILES???

The two ends of the spectrum would look something like this:

"MAX PERFORMANCE"
    - GPS ON
    - Auto Locate ON
    - Background Data Collection ON
    - Bluetooth ON
    - Wifi ON
    - Email fetch set to PUSH
    - Data roam ON
    - Screen brightness FULL

"BATTERY SAVER"
    - GPS OFF
    - Auto Locate OFF
    - Background Data Collection OFF
    - Bluetooth OFF
    - Wifi OFF
    - Email fetch set to MANUAL
    - Data roam OFF
    - Screen brightness MINIMUM

Any number of customizable profiles users could create in between. For example, I'd probably make a "DRIVING" profile that looks like this:

- GPS ON
    - Auto Locate ON
    - Background Data Collection OFF
    - Bluetooth ON
    - Wifi OFF
    - Email fetch set to MANUAL
    - Data roam ON
    - Screen brightness FULL
    (A similar "Night driving" mode would have this at minimum)

Bonus idea:
    - Have the option to save certain "profiles" to the launcher, so we don't even have to open the app!

... What do you think? The Palm Pre is SCREAMING for an app like this! Just about EVERYONE would use it!
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vara411 View Post
    ... What do you think? The Palm Pre is SCREAMING for an app like this! Just about EVERYONE would use it!
    Woah... apparently I was the one screaming this... sorry didn't know that font size would be so huge! ... but hopefully it gets my point across!
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Love this app! So simple, does exactly what I need! Funny, I was just thinking this morning that I wished there was some shortcut to do exactly this. Perfect timing!
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    This app has SOOOOO much potential. Combined with vara411's profile idea, this could be the next MUST HAVE application.
    This is something I was wishing for. Thanks for this!!!

Suggestion: Is it possible to add a quick link to, or somehow incorporate the GPS interactive test found under Device Info? After a suggestion from another member (who I have yet to thank) I found that this little test can wake up the receiver when it misbehaves and doesn't want to work. It'll sure make life even easier for many people. Thanks!!!
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Piggy's in the bank...

Power Profile app sounds like a good idea!

Cheers,

-JerryG
    Great, simple app. Vara411's idea is not bad either, to be able to set profiles. On a side note, how difficult would it be to be able to make a soft reset "toggle" that a person would be able to just hit the app button, get a confirmation and presto the pre is resetting? Then a person does not have to go into device info and reset options to reset. Just thought this might be a good idea also. Thanks
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast