Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have the same problem. The toggle always says GPS ON. Nothing special about the phone but I don't think my wife configured it to enable location services. Unfortunately we are with the Bell network and there doesn't seem to be any way of checking the GPS settings. Any ideas?
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by muggax View Post
    No patches, no rooted pre or anything....just apps downloaded from Homebrew thru Filecoaster....that's it. I had Pandora running while I was trying it out, that's about it.
    Hmm... are you on Sprint? Or another provider?
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjstone57 View Post
    I have the same problem. The toggle always says GPS ON. Nothing special about the phone but I don't think my wife configured it to enable location services. Unfortunately we are with the Bell network and there doesn't seem to be any way of checking the GPS settings. Any ideas?
    It may have something to do with that... I don't have any experience with the Pre on any provider other than Sprint. Do you have a "Location Services" preference icon in the launcher?
    Does not seem to play well with the 1.2.0 update. Everytime I run it, it always says "GPS is on", yet it really isn't. Even worse, go to location services and you can not re-enable GPS to be your locator. The only solution is to Orange-Sym-R, then just turn GPS on and off through location services.

The must have changed the API.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Does not seem to play well with the 1.2.0 update. Everytime I run it, it always says "GPS is on", yet it really isn't. Even worse, go to location services and you can not re-enable GPS to be your locator. The only solution is to Orange-Sym-R, then just turn GPS on and off through location services.

The must have changed the API.
    Mine is working fine. it pops up and says on/off and when i go to location services and go to the menu option, gps is either checked or un-checked as applicable.

Oh and the icon always says on btw, it is a notification in the dashboard that pops up to say on or off.
    No, there is no icon for location services. Any other method for enabling GPS?

UPDATE: I found a Tips & Tricks document on this site and was able to locate the hidden Location Services icon. Why Bell Mobility hid this and others, I have no idea. The Pre indeed had GPS turned off. Application is running find now it's been turned on.
    Last edited by kjstone57; 09/29/2009 at 07:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsondm2 View Post
    Mine is working fine. it pops up and says on/off and when i go to location services and go to the menu option, gps is either checked or un-checked as applicable.

Oh and the icon always says on btw, it is a notification in the dashboard that pops up to say on or off.
    wilsondm2, this is strange. I tried this three times last evening after doing the update. All three times it behaved exactly as I mentioned above.

I am going golfing today and NEEDED it for GolfPinFinder

Tried this morning, and it is working just fine, turns on, off, on and off. I don't know what could have been messed up, but it must have been something else I was doing....
    This is really great now that they moved the GPS switch in 1.2.

Can you make a similar Data Toggle?....now that they put it in the phone dialer instead of up in the menu with the wifi and airplane toggles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    wilsondm2, this is strange. I tried this three times last evening after doing the update. All three times it behaved exactly as I mentioned above.

I am going golfing today and NEEDED it for GolfPinFinder

Tried this morning, and it is working just fine, turns on, off, on and off. I don't know what could have been messed up, but it must have been something else I was doing....
    I don't know either, but glad its working now for you.
  10.    #50  
    Wait... so this IS working for people with 1.2, and was NOT working for people on Bell? I just want to make sure... Since I don't actually have my own app installed :-)
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Hi, zinge. I've found that with 1.2.0, or 1.2.1, on Sprint, that the check-mark for GPS, on the "Locate Me Using..." menu doesn't change state when I run GPS toggle.

Cheers,
    -JerryG

PS - I'll be sending you some elucidation on that pm, I think I may not have been totally clear.
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Hi, zinge. I've found that with 1.2.0, or 1.2.1, on Sprint, that the check-mark for GPS, on the "Locate Me Using..." menu doesn't change state when I run GPS toggle.

Cheers,
    -JerryG

PS - I'll be sending you some elucidation on that pm, I think I may not have been totally clear.
    I just downloaded GPS Toggle straight from PreWare and tried it on my phone. It works fine and does change the Locate Me Using GPS checkmark. Weird. I'm on 1.2.1
    I just tried it: the GPS checkmark only appears when you reload the prefs app. I think it's simply a matter of that app not refreshing automatically.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I just tried it: the GPS checkmark only appears when you reload the prefs app. I think it's simply a matter of that app not refreshing automatically.
    Ah, yes. The good doctor is correct. The app doesn't update the menu dynamically. My testing methodology was faulty... Thanks much!

-JerryG
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Ah, yes. The good doctor is correct. The app doesn't update the menu dynamically. My testing methodology was faulty... Thanks much!

-JerryG
    Oops, wasn't even thinking about it. That is correct. The location app only checks the preference setting on load. After its loaded, it won't update the checkmark until you reload the app..
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Used this app 6 times today!

Thanks for making it.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I wonder if this app will get updated for 1.4 because currently it opens a card for it and just sits and blinks. (if still works you just have to throw the card away... otherwise it sits there for ever blinking)

you just need to keep it from opening a card.
  18.    #58  
    Yeah, all of my toggles are doing that since Palm added the "loading" card feature. I'll take a look at it and see what I can do. There may not be a way to keep the loading card from opening, but I can try making it close immediately after it pops up.
    hi,
    I want this today, but I started reading from the begining and it was back a year or so ago.
    Back then there was mention of hopefully making this app work for wifi as well.

Now I'm gonna go get this either way, but does it do the wifi toggle that were people were hoping to incorporate into this app?
    Hi.
    I downloaded this but I'm not really getting it.
    Can someone who uses please give me simple instructions?

I get that it's very simple, so anyone that wants to post in this thread explaining to me how simple it is and they're surprised thatI don't get it can refrain from doing so, thanks.

I'm just trying to figure out the basics of it.
    Do I turn off GPS and then it starts working?

I'm lost.

I get the concept, but I'm not getting how this working?

Does this app need to stay open in order to work?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast