Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Just checked out the demo, and the app is clean. Is there any plans to add more detail to the app? Say sodium, protein, and other content? I am looking for something to help me track overall diet and various intakes. I am guessing with the point system this additional data will not be added in, but figured I would ask.

Thanks
  2.    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Just checked out the demo, and the app is clean. Is there any plans to add more detail to the app? Say sodium, protein, and other content? I am looking for something to help me track overall diet and various intakes. I am guessing with the point system this additional data will not be added in, but figured I would ask.

Thanks
    Clean is good or clean is bad?

currently the database does not hold this data , but i'm working on a way to obtain such data.
    Clean is good, nice interface and I like the operation. If I was just looking for basic diet control I would be all over it, I am just needing to track more specific daily and weekly goals.
  4.    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Clean is good, nice interface and I like the operation. If I was just looking for basic diet control I would be all over it, I am just needing to track more specific daily and weekly goals.
    I'll be happy to foolfill your need , but it will be in the future.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I bought DC, but am a little disappointed. I lost all my calendar entries for DC when I had to do a full erase of my Pre. I guess the calendar info doesn't get backed up anywhere.

I have used the old app WWCalc on Palm devices for many years. Unfortunately, the author is unavailable and due to a cease & desist from WW Corp, it will never be updated or ported to the Pre. I'm currently still using WWCalc on an older Palm.
    However, I REALLY miss it's features. It could search any databases created with the PalmOS app "List" and I have more than 50 of those databases which include many commercial restaurants and the USDA database. You really should take a look at WWCalc and try to incorporate it's features into DC.
  6.    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by philesk View Post
    I bought DC, but am a little disappointed. I lost all my calendar entries for DC when I had to do a full erase of my Pre. I guess the calendar info doesn't get backed up anywhere.

I have used the old app WWCalc on Palm devices for many years. Unfortunately, the author is unavailable and due to a cease & desist from WW Corp, it will never be updated or ported to the Pre. I'm currently still using WWCalc on an older Palm.
    However, I REALLY miss it's features. It could search any databases created with the PalmOS app "List" and I have more than 50 of those databases which include many commercial restaurants and the USDA database. You really should take a look at WWCalc and try to incorporate it's features into DC.
    USDA data is being processed as we speak , it will be available for next release.
    You can update your calendar data via the community service. You can also restore it at any time. This feature is available from the last release
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philesk View Post
    It could search any databases created with the PalmOS app "List" and I have more than 50 of those databases which include many commercial restaurants and the USDA database. You really should take a look at WWCalc and try to incorporate it's features into DC.
    Perhaps you can add a import for the basic format that was used to create the PalmOS list database. I expect that a lot of your users are former WWcalc users and could have lists in that base format at home.

It is a simple CSV format. Here is the info about it from the WWcalc manual:
    The List Lookup feature allows external databases created for the List program to be referenced from within WWCalc. Databases created by the List utilities consist of three fields, two data fields and a notes field. While List can be used for storing various types of data, many people on the Internet have created List databases containing Weight Watchers food item point values. The two data fields are assigned the item description and point value while the notes field is either left blank or filled in with miscellaneous information such as serving size or nutrition data. WWCalc expects the databases you reference from it to be in this format. For more information about List, or to download the software, visit the authorís web site. If this site is not available you may obtain the List software at PalmGear.com.
    As the list web site is not existing anymore. Here the base data definition:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    listdb.exe & listdb.lnx instructions:

Example input file:
    ===cut===
    databasename,customfield1,customfield2,category1,category2
    category1,field1data,field2data,notedata
    ===cut===

Cut the text above and put the two lines into a normal text file. For
    example use notepad to create the file test.txt with these two lines.
    Then run the listdb program from a MsDOS command prompt:

listdb -c test.pdb test.txt

Then install the resulting test.pdb file.

More detailed examples and instructions on the web site
    http://www.magma.ca/~roo/list/list.html
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    and here is the manual of WWcalc for reference => WWCalc

HaPe
    If you are truly serious about tracking your food using points then this is the best thing out there.
    I dropped 14 lbs in 30 days jusr by erally tracking what I ate versus guessing or putting on paper only to leave my paper someplace. Since I always have my phone I always have my food log.

I won't change to the new HTC EVO until I find a comparable app!

It is the most used app on my phone so far.

Thinner & Slimmer,
    Tom
    I have been using Diet Control now for a few months (not sure exactly how long to be honest). Since using the software I have lost weight every single week. Sometimes as little as a pound, and sometimes more than five pounds. In all, I have lost more than 25 pounds. The biggest difference is that I carry my phone almost everywhere I go and can log my food multiple times per day with a few simple clicks. I can review my point total and can see if I can "afford" to grab a quick snack or if I have to save my points for later in the day.

For those of you who asked about Weight Watchers, I can tell you that this is different, but only slightly. If you are on Weight Watchers and want to use this app to track your points, you can do it, but it is not a perfect match. For example, you won't be able to track those extra "flex" points (I think they are called). But you can go to the progress graphs for food and select the table mode and see how many points you have used each day and figure it out from there. Still quite helpful. You can also manually set your daily points total in the app and the food calculator works out nicely too. Just don't expect it to be exactly the same as the Weight Watchers program (because it isn't) and you will be quite happy with the app.
  10.    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by yodisco View Post
    If you are truly serious about tracking your food using points then this is the best thing out there.
    I dropped 14 lbs in 30 days jusr by erally tracking what I ate versus guessing or putting on paper only to leave my paper someplace. Since I always have my phone I always have my food log.

I won't change to the new HTC EVO until I find a comparable app!

It is the most used app on my phone so far.

Thinner & Slimmer,
    Tom
    Great!! I'm so happy to hear that
  11.    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4u13 View Post
    I have been using Diet Control now for a few months (not sure exactly how long to be honest). Since using the software I have lost weight every single week. Sometimes as little as a pound, and sometimes more than five pounds. In all, I have lost more than 25 pounds. The biggest difference is that I carry my phone almost everywhere I go and can log my food multiple times per day with a few simple clicks. I can review my point total and can see if I can "afford" to grab a quick snack or if I have to save my points for later in the day.

For those of you who asked about Weight Watchers, I can tell you that this is different, but only slightly. If you are on Weight Watchers and want to use this app to track your points, you can do it, but it is not a perfect match. For example, you won't be able to track those extra "flex" points (I think they are called). But you can go to the progress graphs for food and select the table mode and see how many points you have used each day and figure it out from there. Still quite helpful. You can also manually set your daily points total in the app and the food calculator works out nicely too. Just don't expect it to be exactly the same as the Weight Watchers program (because it isn't) and you will be quite happy with the app.
    Next version will be even better
    I downloaded Diet Control Lite from Preware and am trying it out. This is probably a newbie question, but, when I go to Add a custom food, is there some way to calculate the DC point value? I have no idea what the number would be. Is this just a limitation of Lite?
    Palm Pre Plus | WebOS 1.4.5 | Verizon
    Previous: Treo650, Palm III
  13.    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarEclipse View Post
    I downloaded Diet Control Lite from Preware and am trying it out. This is probably a newbie question, but, when I go to Add a custom food, is there some way to calculate the DC point value? I have no idea what the number would be. Is this just a limitation of Lite?
    Hi,

There are 2 ways to enter custom food

1. Via the calculator - in this screen you enter the relevant Nutritional info and the system calculate the DC point value.
    2. Via the Food Diary screen, selecting the custom food option , here you just enter the DC point itself , if you know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Hi,

There are 2 ways to enter custom food

1. Via the calculator - in this screen you enter the relevant Nutritional info and the system calculate the DC point value.
    2. Via the Food Diary screen, selecting the custom food option , here you just enter the DC point itself , if you know it.
    Ah... the calculator. That makes sense! Thanks.
  15.    #135  
    The new Diet Control application is here!!
    With new Look & Feel and much more features this application give you , the user what it always meant to do : give you control over you food consumption.

Thanks to the entire Diet Control community at Diet Control for helping me improving this product

The new Diet control application allows you to :

1. Select food from a USDA database , or use the old good one.
    2. Log your sport activity , via predefined list , or calculate your DC point "burnout" according to your weight and level of activity
    3. Calculate different types of food , with new and easy to use calculator screen , and great tool to enter numbers , no more scrolling
    4. Watch your BMI
    5. Backup and restore in minutes
    6. Enter a community of users
    7. Load different database file either with XML or CSV like(@ as a separator)
    8. Additional Nutrition info in the calculator screen and Nutrition pie in the Graph scene.
    9. Cleaner application , less bugs , fast database loading , smooth operation.

The Demo version is available for 14 days , try it and enjoy

E

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/diet-control
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Equilibrium; 08/02/2010 at 04:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Will owners of diet control get the upgrade? I have not seen it show up yet.
    MKTREK - Handspring Visor Blue, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 750, Palm Pre
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    I've only been using the app for a few days, but I've already dropped 6 lbs! It forces you to pay attention to what you're eating.

I didn't see an updated version in Preware?

My only suggestions from using it so far would be to have it automatically save any food you manually enter using the calculator. I found that the first few times I used it, I forgot to hit Add to Favorites before adding it to my diary, and the next time I had to enter it again. It seems to me if you took the time to enter something it's likely you'll want it again in the future.

It would also be nice if you could edit items after adding them to the diary without having to delete and readd them.
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by MKTrek View Post
    Will owners of diet control get the upgrade? I have not seen it show up yet.
    The Demo application is queued for review at the app store , once it will be publish , I'll notify.
    The Non Deom application will be submitted in 2 weeks or so
  19.    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarEclipse View Post
    I've only been using the app for a few days, but I've already dropped 6 lbs! It forces you to pay attention to what you're eating.

I didn't see an updated version in Preware?

My only suggestions from using it so far would be to have it automatically save any food you manually enter using the calculator. I found that the first few times I used it, I forgot to hit Add to Favorites before adding it to my diary, and the next time I had to enter it again. It seems to me if you took the time to enter something it's likely you'll want it again in the future.

It would also be nice if you could edit items after adding them to the diary without having to delete and readd them.
    I''l see if i can embed this great suggestion , thanks
    I'd like to see an app for people that do not need to lose weight, but have to watch the nutritional content of their food for other reasons.

You can see my avatar pic, weight is obviously not a problem, except for the fact that I have to try to maintain and not lose all the time. But, for other health reasons, I do have to be careful what I eat and how much of certain types of foods.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast