Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Neville,

Would it be possible to add an option to graph the drain per hour as a function of time, as opposed to % capacity. I would find that information presented in graphical form more useful than percentage remaining.

Thanks for a great app.
    I can't find that app can someone tell me were it is thanx
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    So you are saying that when it's at 100 it's really not 100?
    Daemon beat me to the answer so I quoted him figuring eventually a newer reply may have the same thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    grumble oh well as long as it works.. WebOS isn't perfect but it suits my needs and wants
    No phone or smartphone really is. I have never seen one and I have had dozens of them over 10+ years. We are always wanting more out of them so they will always lack something even when they appear to have everything we want at purchase. But you got to admit webOS is pushing the edge of smartphone platforms. Now it is the time where the big three for smartphone platforms roll with the flow or die in the process and the remaining take over. The future is smartphones and the future of smartphones is mobile computing device that does everything imaginable. It will weed out those stuck in a rut like RIM with blackberry who is just now trying to dig themselves out and move with the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    The reason for the disconnect between 95-100%, is because of the way
    Lipo batteries charge. If you charge em up and keep em topped off right at
    100% they can be damaged, so they let you charge it up to 100%,
    and then it disconnects the charger, and lets it run down to about 95%
    before it starts charging again. It'll cycle up and down like that
    indefinitely all the while the UI% shows 100% to indicate that it's
    as high as it's going to let it get with the charger plugged in.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpreboss View Post
    I can't find that app can someone tell me were it is thanx
    I still see it in the feeds in preware so I assume it is available from the site, webos quick install or other sources that link to the feeds or the site here.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  4.    #164  
    As has been stated a couple times in the previous pages, I've retired this app.

If anyone wishes to continue working on it, they are more than welcome to modify the source themselves.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Neville I think with the overclocking of the Pre Processor this has caused a renewed interest in the app. I have used it since day one. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    As has been stated a couple times in the previous pages, I've retired this app.

If anyone wishes to continue working on it, they are more than welcome to modify the source themselves.
    Good to hear, and with that said what does everyone want to see in the app. I'm looking to work on some freeware/opensource webOS Projects so this sounds like a good one to take on.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I went back through the thread to see what feature suggestions etc were made. I think most of them are stuff I had also considered so I'm going to look at trying my hands at them. I can't give a time frame since I have class work and other stuff I have to do on a daily basis.
    bummed this app is retired. I got to find out why just sitting no GPS, wifi, or bluetooth, that I am getting a 14.82% drain on my battery!
    I use it on daily basis since I 1st installed it.
    I have installed it from homebrew
    Unfortunately the Graph does not work.
    The version listed in WOQI is 1.03

StoneRyno nice to see u show interest in the App. Hoping to see great additions to this nice App.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    You either have a big leak or a defective battery. Are you using Preware? What patches? Any themes? Any homebrew apps? Did you download anything recently that spiked the battery drain? Start by crossing things off the list be uninstalling things and see if it gets any better. I had a homebrew app installed and my battery drain jumped and my phone was always hot, since I removed it, it is back to normal. Update us on your troubleshooting progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by sircamels View Post
    bummed this app is retired. I got to find out why just sitting no GPS, wifi, or bluetooth, that I am getting a 14.82% drain on my battery!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    You either have a big leak or a defective battery. Are you using Preware? What patches? Any themes? Any homebrew apps? Did you download anything recently that spiked the battery drain? Start by crossing things off the list be uninstalling things and see if it gets any better. I had a homebrew app installed and my battery drain jumped and my phone was always hot, since I removed it, it is back to normal. Update us on your troubleshooting progress.
    will do.

I use a lot of them. This is the extra battery that adds juice but not size. I do preware, patches and homebrew apps, but I don't do the cpu scaling.

It's down now to 9.24 just siting with the battery monitor app running. and 3-5 bars.

Thanks, will let you know!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Be sure to
    1. Not set the polling interval too short. At a minute or less, battery monitor
    app itself will increase drain a bit because it contacts a google service to
    update the graph.
    2. Don't sit on the graph screen if you can help it, for the same reason as #1.
    I hacked the last version to put the Detailed battery stats button back
    on the main screen and I sit on that screen during normal monitoring.
    3. Turn the screen off while monitoring. Any time the screen is on, it's going
    to be drawing at least 110mA or about 10%/hr or more.

If I'm trying to debug what specific apps are causing increased drain, I set
    the interval to 60 seconds, jump to the detailed battery info screen, and
    put the phone to sleep for more than 60 seconds. I wake it up, close
    and re-open detailed battery info and look at the current draw that
    it recorded at the end of the last polling interval..
    During normal standby with no network activity, my phone idles at
    3-7mA. Streaming will burn about 120-170mA. Anything over about 20mA indicates that *something* is active in the background.
    I'll use JSTop to kill off everything other than the core apps (phone/email/messaging) and then put the phone back to sleep for a minute or two
    and then recheck the detailed battery info and see what the current
    draw is. Disable/enable GPS, Wifi, Data.. each in turn and repeat tests.

I rely on the detailed battery info screen so much, I hacked the app
    to put the button back on the main screen (as it was in previous versions).

ian
    Here is the quick summary of what I seen requested in the thread since day one:

run in background (so card doesn't have to be left open)
    save settings for interval etc
    track how long screen is on
    track consumption over time option vs percent left over time (chart it)
    save data for later reference (add aditional info to log signal strength etc)
    bigger graph??

This is in no particular priority order but I plan on implementing from easiest to hardest.

will do.

I use a lot of them. This is the extra battery that adds juice but not size. I do preware, patches and homebrew apps, but I don't do the cpu scaling.

It's down now to 9.24 just siting with the battery monitor app running. and 3-5 bars.

Thanks, will let you know!
    There are a number of test senarios that can be peformed prior to selective elimination. Fresh boot of the device and run in airplane mode testing the drain rate and compare to the same test from several people with know good batteries. This is an easy way to see if there is a significant difference. Also testing the rate without any use no apps running, no email account connections, not uninstalling anything, and not running any clocking stuff so the cpu is managed by default design. This can be used to determine how much of a drain the email puts on the battery without making any other changes. If signal is not relatively constant it would be the next thing to gauge for drain rate before eliminating any other factors by testing drain rates from a fresh boot in both high and low signal area you spend significant time in. Then subtracting these determined rates we can see how much drain rate is left and then move from there to find what else may be draining the battery so we can discover what is draining it more than it should. There is a process to selective elimination to try and minimize the burden of the process. I always try to eliminate certain things over others first to avoid eliminating too much in essence low impact to the every day life use but still eliminating causes.

Quote Originally Posted by zeushunt View Post
    I use it on daily basis since I 1st installed it.
    I have installed it from homebrew
    Unfortunately the Graph does not work.
    The version listed in WOQI is 1.03

StoneRyno nice to see u show interest in the App. Hoping to see great additions to this nice App.
    Feel free to offer any input on what you would like to see added or changed etc. Top of the post has a summary of what I read in the thread.
    I have finished saved settings. They are now in a settings scene for users to set them to their choice and are remembered via a cookie. I'd have gotten it done sooner except I had a typo in one of my variable names that I didn't notice before which caused a really strange behavior and I thought the bug was something else because I didn't notice the spelling error. I'm used to IDEs that recognize speller errors automatically based on preceding lines of code.

Neville how should I proceed with releasing updates? Do I send the code to you to package or shall I package and release them to be updated in precentral feed?
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 04/04/2010 at 03:40 AM.
    Would anyone like to see additional poll intervals? Like I was thinking of adding 1 second and 15 seconds to the fast end. Adding a warning: long term polling shorter than 1 minute will cause unnecessary extra battery drain and are best used briefly. Next thing I would like to work on is logging the data. There are 9 pieces of info that are currently listed: interval, initial battery, current battery, runtime, drain per hour, remaining life, temperature, current mA, and voltage, mV. Anyone have any thoughts on logging?
    The only thing I'd really want is a graph of the drain per hour (moving average). IOW, the slope of the battery level curve that is graphed in the present version.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I've been running Batt Monitor almost continuously since its first release.
    I don't need any additional polling intervals. Anything under 30 seconds
    would increase drain enough to render the app worthless.
    I would like to be able to switch polling intervals on the fly without
    having to wait for the current timer to go off. In other words, if
    I set the polling interval to 10 minutes, and then for some reason I want
    to speed it up to 1 minute, I'll have to wait up to 10 minutes for the change
    to take effect (or restart the app, losing my history). I understand
    there's some limitations to the API but this one is really annoying.

I also would like to see a %/hr graph. Or mAh graph.

BTW, I found an interesting trick. While continously monitoring the drain
    of various stuff with the 800Mhz kernel and scaling options, I was
    watching /var/log/messages and noticed that the same battery info
    is logged there every time the batt monitor asks for it, so I found
    I could run this command from an ssh or terminal shell
    tail -f /var/log/messages | grep BATTERY_APC
    and get a running log of battery state without having to keep
    bringing battery monitor app to the foreground.

ian
    @caj I did as well but I wonder how many never used it until you had them start tracking the data that for the purpose of testing
    I've been running Batt Monitor almost continuously since its first release.
    I don't need any additional polling intervals. Anything under 30 seconds
    would increase drain enough to render the app worthless.
    I'm testing 1s, 5s, 15s, 30s, and 1m intervals over a large sample of polls to see the amounts of mA averages for each. In addition to that I'm experimenting tracking this data with screen on to compare with screen off to see the increase in mA as a result of screen on at a few different levels of brightness as a method of testing the updates I have made so far.

I would like to be able to switch polling intervals on the fly without
    having to wait for the current timer to go off. In other words, if
    I set the polling interval to 10 minutes, and then for some reason I want
    to speed it up to 1 minute, I'll have to wait up to 10 minutes for the change
    to take effect (or restart the app, losing my history). I understand
    there's some limitations to the API but this one is really annoying.
    I remember this coming up before and it was a matter of if the pending request can be canceled and send a new one with the new interval. This is something I would have to do down the road after I learn about what goes on between the app and the service the info comes from and what I can and can't do with it. It may be easier for me to save the data of current run and load it again with the app restart for this particular situation of a long interval to a much shorter one. This may be something goes near the end of the list of changes I have in mind. Unless someone wants to take on the specific task on figuring out how to cancel the current request and send a fresh request with the new interval. The changes to move settings to the settings scene doesn't change how things currently work, when you change the settings in the settings scene they are applied on the next poll.

I also would like to see a %/hr graph. Or mAh graph.
    This is something I personally feel would be beneficial as well. Currently I had moved the mA and mV stats found in the detailed info scene to the main scene and added a mA average. Which I alluded to at the beginning of this post. I find it handy to determine how much mA a specific thing draws, ex. my screen on tests compared to screen off tests.

BTW, I found an interesting trick. While continously monitoring the drain
    of various stuff with the 800Mhz kernel and scaling options, I was
    watching /var/log/messages and noticed that the same battery info
    is logged there every time the batt monitor asks for it, so I found
    I could run this command from an ssh or terminal shell
    tail -f /var/log/messages | grep BATTERY_APC
    and get a running log of battery state without having to keep
    bringing battery monitor app to the foreground.

ian
    I'll have to take a look out of curiosity to see what it logs. My thoughts so far, which should work with the app running in the background, is to log the 9 points of polled info in a database. This data can be used to generate charts (not live generated like currently during polling) with the google interactive charts (aka visualization API). The generated during polling chart is fine and will remain in but due to limitations appears to be best for more of a snapshot view of data. I would like to and I assume others would as well have a larger view of the data chart (perhaps even viewable from a pc as an option in addition to on device). I'm thinking the chart(s) could be viewed in it's own scene and landscaped so the width can be virtually unlimited for scrolling large amounts of data points. I'm sure it would be possible to rotate the image 90% or landscape mode the scene or app whichever works best so that the chart width can exceed the bounds of the screen and scroll left and right while having a larger range of data on screen than in portrait mode with a smaller height. If you follow my imagination from my description.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 04/10/2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: missed a / in the end quote of one block
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Would anyone like to see additional poll intervals? Like I was thinking of adding 1 second and 15 seconds to the fast end.
    I don't see the point of a 1 second interval. You're just going to use up the battery quicker and tracking battery discharge second by second doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast