Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jdraket View Post
    RanGT - how did you get that green '88%' next to your battery to show up? That's pretty cool!
    WebOSQuickInstall.jar when run on your computer (and your pre is in developer mode, and just charge USB choice) has a tweaks section under Tools on the menu.

Those tweaks rock! Add / delete launcher pages is my tops! The battery % is great. etc. Bunches 'o tweaks, 0% documentation but most are pretty clear.

See:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...all-contd.html
    http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps

...for how to run.

Good luck!

As an aside, I think I have a javascript problem with my thanks button, I push, weird message pops up, no little thumby thing.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    I'm sorry I missed your question earlier.

The temperature is included with the service call I make to get the battery information. It's kind of an easter egg on top of the information I actually wanted.
    Any idea how one might go about getting battery information when ssh'ed into a Pre? I'm thinking of trying to use snmp to track and graph of all sorts of junk. For now I just want to be able to 'cat /proc/battery' or something??
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goky View Post
    WebOSQuickInstall.jar when run on your computer (and your pre is in developer mode, and just charge USB choice) has a tweaks section under Tools on the menu.

Those tweaks rock! Add / delete launcher pages is my tops! The battery % is great. etc. Bunches 'o tweaks, 0% documentation but most are pretty clear.

See:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...all-contd.html
    http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps

...for how to run.

Good luck!

As an aside, I think I have a javascript problem with my thanks button, I push, weird message pops up, no little thumby thing.
    Are these the types of 'tweaks' that have to be removed/undone before a WebOS update is performed (like removing patches etc.)?

Thanks for sharing, though!
  4. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Can this be made to run in background? I don't like to leave cards open when I am not using them and when I close this it shuts off.
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolio View Post
    Any idea how one might go about getting battery information when ssh'ed into a Pre? I'm thinking of trying to use snmp to track and graph of all sorts of junk. For now I just want to be able to 'cat /proc/battery' or something??
    try powerd

more info about this can be found on webos-internals
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  6.    #106  
    And yes, I am working on making this run in the background in addition to a few other tweaks... progress has been slow.

You can thank NHL10 and Aion for that.
  7. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Great, THANK YOU. I used to use PowerHero and loved it. Id love for this to gain that kind of power.
    Runtime rolls over/starts over after 24hrs pass it should continue to count adding day to it for dy / hr / min / sec or continue to count the hours past 24 so that those with extended batteries can track the uptime since they can last for days. I've just rolled over a 24 hour period and the uptime says 5hrs and should read 29hrs or 1dy5hrs.
    It'd be cool if it could track how long your screen is on, to give you an idea of how much you're actively "using" the device. There's a API for checking if the display is on here.

Additionally, the Ev icon in the corner changes color when it's transmitting data. You might be able to use something similar to track how much of the time is spent using data.
    Hello Neville,

I change my battery for a "2600" mAh, and when fully charged all I see is the "600".
    Is this a display problem? You might want to change that??

MartinB777
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Hi, Neville!

Excellent little app here, especially for a first effort.

Running 1.2.1 these days, and have things tweaked quite well for my uses, and battery life is actually pretty decent, thanks to being able to figure out what uses a lot of power, and what doesn't.

Now that I have a long run time, I'm noticing that the "Runtime" counter wraps back to zero instead of continuing to count after 20 some hours. The chart continues to show the correct info, though.

I wasn't going to even mention it until I saw a few posts back that you were possibly going to do a little work on the app to allow it to run headless, so as long as you will be under the hood again, this is something that you might want to poke at while you are there.

Thanks for a good solid tool!

Tomas
    Man I wish I had a 2% drain per hour. With all my e-mail coming in I am lucky to get 4%.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Man I wish I had a 2% drain per hour. With all my e-mail coming in I am lucky to get 4%.
    My brother gets about 2.5% per hour drain. It is the account connections that add a little extra per connection. The more connections and the more frequent the communication over each one the higher the drain. With my stock battery I got 5% per hour drain if I didn't use it at all except for the background usage of the email, calendar, and contacts account connections. So 3-5% range seems to be average for most. Those seeing less than that are hardly using their device or have almost no account connections. Those seeing more are moderate to heavy use and may even have a lot of connections and communication on those connections. Add in using the features recommended to change settings on to reduce drain and the drain can get quite high. I bought the 2600 simply because I don't want to mess with changing settings when needed and then back when not and also because I simply use it to much on top of that. With all of my use, GPS left on and ignoring most drain reducing tips, I get about 3% per hour drain on my 2600. If I let it sit idle the rate varies depending on background connection activity but that is at most 1.5% per hour. I suppose if I turned off data it would be less than 1% per hour perhaps 0.5%.
    Great app but I have one question.

Over the last couple of days I've noticed that when I take my Pre off the touchstone in the morning that the phone reports 100% charge but Battery Monitor said 98% and now this morning it says 96%. Surely the battery capacity can't have dropped that much in 6 days
    Quote Originally Posted by leowyatt View Post
    Great app but I have one question.

Over the last couple of days I've noticed that when I take my Pre off the touchstone in the morning that the phone reports 100% charge but Battery Monitor said 98% and now this morning it says 96%. Surely the battery capacity can't have dropped that much in 6 days
    What you are observing is the actual percent (used by battery monitor) vs the reported percent (used by webOS and common with all devices). By design a reported percent method is use so that people don't think something is wrong with their battery when they observe what you are observing. Now to explain what you are observing. When LI ION batteries (maybe other types as well) are fully charged the power flow is cut off to prevent overcharging. The battery begins to drain like it normally would when removed from the charger even though it is still plugged in. Once it drops below 94% it is designed to recognize it is still connected to the charger and then tops it off and shuts off to avoid over charging and repeats. during this top off and stop cycle the device will report 100%. As you can see if it didn't people would go $#@%. So any given time you take it off the charge it could be during the top off or drain down part of the cycle. Thus why you see less than 100% but more than 94% in battery monitor right after taking it off of the charge.
    Ah gotcha I actually took the phone off the touchstone sent some emails then dropped it back on for 30 minutes before I left the house. I fired up battery monitor as I left and that reported 100% charge
    is there some sort of conflict with this app and 1.3?

i updated to 1.3 last night and started running the battery monitor for the heck of it to see if there was any difference.

the second thing i noticed, after my battery life tanking, is that the listed capacities of both my batteries is waaaaay off. the stock one is currently showing 488 mAh and the Amzer 1400 was showing somewhere around 900.

what the heck?
  18.    #118  
    there should be no conflict

for some reason MOJO reports the wrong capacity for every battery except for the factory palm (1150mAH) one.
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    there should be no conflict

for some reason MOJO reports the wrong capacity for every battery except for the factory palm (1150mAH) one.
    Or it reports correctly and some of the non OEM batteries are just lying about their claimed capacity.

Edit: It seems the 1.3.1 update has changed something. My OEM Pre battery always reported 1148 to 1150 mAh and now it's only reporting 1043 mAh.
    Last edited by Trekker; 11/15/2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Update
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Noticed this as well... My OEM battery always reported 1182 mAh, now it registers as 955 mAh.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast