Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    This app is very kewl.
    It has kicked out one of my other apps (only can have 60 after all).

I had an app(.prc) for my Treo (worked on all palmOS devices) called BattGraph that kicked **** at this kind of thing...It kept full forever history of battery usage and charging history. Neville's little proggy could be even neato-e-er with some pilfered ideas (and credit of course) from over here:
    link to the page by the dude who wrote it ==> BatteryGraph Overview
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amrcc View Post
    This app is very kewl.
    It has kicked out one of my other apps (only can have 60 after all).

I had an app(.prc) for my Treo (worked on all palmOS devices) called BattGraph that kicked **** at this kind of thing...It kept full forever history of battery usage and charging history. Neville's little proggy could be even neato-e-er with some pilfered ideas (and credit of course) from over here:
    link to the page by the dude who wrote it ==> BatteryGraph Overview
    I have over 100 apps and still going. What gives with your phone? No limit to homebrew, only Palm apps
    Saw this yesterfay and figures I'd give it a try.
    I used similar programs on my Windows phones and found some interseting trends.

A couple suggestions:

I found it to easy to backswipe and lose the data.

If the front page was removed and the start/stop move to the "Preference" tab then we'd have to actually close the program to lose the data.

OK, I only had one.
    Neville, you are the man! I love this app.

Aside from running in the background, I don't mind having a card open if its a light-weight app. I do have some suggestions for improving, if you would be so kind to oblige/consider them:

- allow the data to be saved so it can be looked at later. perhaps even enabling the data to be emailed to yourself upon request, or even automatically at specific intervals for those power users out there (i.e. all of us at PreCentral

- in regards to data collection and storage, allow the program to differentiate between charge and discharge states. As in, data would be saved separately for charge and discharge periods of time. For example, if I started at 100% and discharged until I reached 50%, at which point I charge the phone, all data between 100 and 50 percent would be saved as a separate piece of data. Then if I charge the phone to go from 50 to 80 percent, that would again be a separate piece. I hope that makes sense

- Calculate predictive trends, so the app gets 'smarter' over time based on how you use the phone during types of use (apps, phone calls, music, etc), or even during times of the day. It can give you a notification that when you open pandora, your DPH will go from 10% to 13%, or something along those lines (medium)

- Of course allowing it to run in the background, as others have already mentioned (high priority).

- Allow the graph to be 'zoom-able' with multitouch support (low priority)

If you can incorporate even half of what everyone is suggesting (including those above), you will have a ton of power users donating, and chomping at the bit to buy this from the app store when its released. I will be one of those.

I helped a friend of mine test an iPhone app that is going to soon be released in the App Store. He seemed to love all of my suggestions, from UI tweaks to usability issues, so I thought I would lend you a helping hand with what's looking to be a great app. Your UI is pretty slick, btw; clean, and gets you the info you want. Exactly what I would expect from a useful system utility app.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
    Saw this yesterfay and figures I'd give it a try.
    I used similar programs on my Windows phones and found some interseting trends.

A couple suggestions:

I found it to easy to backswipe and lose the data.

If the front page was removed and the start/stop move to the "Preference" tab then we'd have to actually close the program to lose the data.

OK, I only had one.
    Agreed. 2 times now, I have accidentally swiped backwards, losing all my data. Kinda makes the program unusable. Besides that, excellent!.
  6.    #66  
    yup I like the idea of removing the first screen...

I want to make the options you select configurable through the menu.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I'm taking it all seriously and read every comment.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Ok, here is what I got, I ran all my tests for about 45 min checking every 1 min. I use the stock battery

GPS off
    Bluetooth Off
    Hotmail 5 min interval
    No apps
    Data Mode: Hybrid Rev A

1.8% usage

Everything the same but with GPS on:

3.26 %

Everything the same but using the web browser for an hour:

22.18%
    Tried to click on download now and there is no program to open the file????
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Neville,
    I love the app, have a uncovered suggestion:
    1. 10 second updates that after a half hour go back to the default 10 min. I was trying to track usage of streaming Pandora via sprint vs local wi-fi, and a quicker check would SEEM to be helpful.

Thanks for making a great app!
    Neville,

Thanks for a very cool (and useful) app. I was really hoping to see someone take on an app like this; you are doing an excellent job getting this thing going. Thanks! That said, something that I would like to suggest added (though I suspect it's much easier said than done) is an option for a log that keeps track of phone activity (processes running in the background) over time. I think this would really help us understand what apps or activities might be draining the battery and help us better manage our phones (and battery usage).

Again, thanks for working on this app and trying to make it better for the rest of us. Really nice app. Thanks!
    Last edited by rriver3; 09/12/2009 at 10:18 PM.
    Here's the other thing, as mentioned.

I started the program last night with when the battery warning came on at 20%.
    The graph is working well showing a few hours of usage but...

I'm know at 41% after draining down to about 25% according to the graph but the data is "skewed" because the charging data is dominating the drain data.
    Remaining life is 0 and drain per hour although I've already drained and charged is -1.48.

If the drain and charge could be seperated great but even if the charge data could be ignored, one WinMo app I used did that, the battery life and drain could be estimated(?).
    If not the data will have to be reset after every charging cycle.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Great app! The only suggestion I have that I don't think has been mention is a battery sucker alarm. If your app could monitor the consumption and then alert you if it spikes, that would be great. The other day my Pre went from fully charged to 50% in less than an hour. It was in my pocket and when I touched it, it HOT. That's what got my attention. One of my apps must have been hung up. An alert for a situation like that would be fantastic.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Wow web browsing with one card is 25% per hour
  14.    #74  
    anyone notice the rate of charging on touchstone versus usb?

Getting +35% on touchstone, +25% on usb!
    Great app! Anything that gives me stats is good for me.

One suggestion, can you also include the current EVDO or 1x signal strength every time you poll? This info is located in the ##DEBUG# menu. This would make it a bit easier to see if low signal is adding to the drain.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    This application is well done. Thanks for your contribution. However, I have noted one disconnect. I had the monitor running in the background with only Classic open. My battery charge went from 86% to 35% in about 2 1/2 hours. The monitor stated that the drain per hour was only 3.5%. I would expect the drain to reflect the average reduction in charge over the 2 1/2 hours or about 20.4% per hour not 3.5%.

Am I missing something?
    Webos 1.2 (leaked), smartreflex ON, 550 Mhz Cpu, All radios (wifi, evdo, bluetooth) on all the time. 2 Exchange email account always on, gmail on auto, live.com (hotmail) on 5 minute interval. Idle loss rate of only 3%!

Now that number is lower than for stockers I think... I have the Amzer 1400 mAh battery (which is reporting as 1280 actually). But that is still amazing (1.2 I love you, and battery monitor finally allows us to compare real numbers).

FYI on the same settings (minus the 550 mhz) with webos 1.1, I was losing about 7-9% hour. 1.2 rocks.
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by jingles View Post
    This application is well done. Thanks for your contribution. However, I have noted one disconnect. I had the monitor running in the background with only Classic open. My battery charge went from 86% to 35% in about 2 1/2 hours. The monitor stated that the drain per hour was only 3.5%. I would expect the drain to reflect the average reduction in charge over the 2 1/2 hours or about 20.4% per hour not 3.5%.

Am I missing something?
    How long was the monitor up for before you opened classic? The program records the drain from the application startup until the current timestamp. So if your phone was idle for several hours before hand and then had severe drain it would record results a little funny. This is part of the skewed data I was talking about before.
    Neville, awesome job, I love this information! good on ya man!

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    Webos 1.2 (leaked), smartreflex ON, 550 Mhz Cpu, All radios (wifi, evdo, bluetooth) on all the time. 2 Exchange email account always on, gmail on auto, live.com (hotmail) on 5 minute interval. Idle loss rate of only 3%!

Now that number is lower than for stockers I think... I have the Amzer 1400 mAh battery (which is reporting as 1280 actually). But that is still amazing (1.2 I love you, and battery monitor finally allows us to compare real numbers).

FYI on the same settings (minus the 550 mhz) with webos 1.1, I was losing about 7-9% hour. 1.2 rocks.
    Thanks for the info. I assume you mean you are loosing 3% an hour ... correct?

You might want to post this info in the "WebOS 1.2 and battery life?" thread as well ... folks there would (I believe) welcome this info. Again thanks.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast