Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Still curious where you pull the temperature. That's kinda cool.
    I'm sorry I missed your question earlier.

The temperature is included with the service call I make to get the battery information. It's kind of an easter egg on top of the information I actually wanted.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Landon1983 View Post
    K
    lol <3
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post

The temperature is included with the service call I make to get the battery information. It's kind of an easter egg on top of the information I actually wanted.
    Oh well that's sweet
    Quote Originally Posted by zna03 View Post
    lol <3
    *tickle* What can I say can't hold a grudge here and on a Friday.
  5. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    About the reported mAh capacity...

I'm just guessing here, but perhaps the phone doesn't get a number from the battery itself. Perhaps it calculates the total capacity based on how far you've ever let it run down.

Maybe starting with a 100% charge and then letting the battery run itself completely down and then recharging again will allow the phone to report a more accurate capacity.

Just a guess,
    xtn

No problem. Kinda suprised to see a thermometer of sorts in the Pre.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I find this app very useful and hope to get a better idea how my usage affects battery life.

One suggestion: while this app looks great the graphing screen is a bit cramped. It looks like the rows could be minimized a bit and the graph made a bit bigger. Right now the graph is bunched up. Otherwise this looks very polished. Excellent work!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    No problem. Kinda suprised to see a thermometer of sorts in the Pre.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that this is there because of several reported incidents where cellphones have caught fire (exploded?) due to battery related problems.

Maybe Palm is monitoring them and they'll call you before your phone blows up!

Ya never know...

Cheers,

-JerryG
    If anyone is interested, I have a 2600 seidio battery, gps and location serverices on, Aim off.

Listening music through the music app: 3.8 percentage per hour drain
    Streaming pandora: 5.2 percentage per hour drain

I'm still unclear. Which temperature is being reported? Is it the temperature of the battery, CPU, ambient?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    I'm still unclear. Which temperature is being reported? Is it the temperature of the battery, CPU, ambient?
    My guess is the battery. Remember how Palm said not to use the Centro batteries. Maybe the senser resides in the battery...
    I started testing this out today, here is what I have so far, and will do another test on a few other apps with different phone settings and also switch my batteries and redo just to see if there is much a difference:

PRE Settings:
    -Wifi/Auto Location - OFF
    -GPS - ON
    -gTalk - ON
    -Email - Every 2 hours
    -Screen Brightness - 1/3
    -EVDO - 3 Bars

--------------------------------
    Running Apps:
    -Palm Music Player
    -Battery App
    -Looked at email once
    -3 incoming calls - 5 min each.
    -2 SMS

Ran for 1 hour checking @ 1 min intervals

DPH%: 15.8%
    Temp: 32deg
    Capacity Battery: 1100mAh shows 1182.5 in app

---------------------------------

Running Apps:
    -Sprint TV
    -Battery App
    -Looked at email once
    -1 incoming calls - 10 min.

Ran for 1 hour checking @ 1 min intervals

DPH%: 39.8%
    Temp: 38deg
    Capacity Battery: 1100mAh shows 1182.5 in app
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 09/11/2009 at 12:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KallDrexx View Post
    Great app!

Question though, how accurate is that? I don't mean that as an insult, but I just turned the app on. The battery percentage reported by the pre itself (and as reported UI %) is 100% but teh actual % reported by the app is 95%. Is the 95% value real?

Also, I have Seidio's 2600mah battery, yet your app says my capacity is 661.599976.
    I also have the mugen 3800 mah battery pack and mine says 306.299988...how does that read 3800 mah? To me it should say 3800 mah for total mah capacity or 3.8amps for total capacity. And as I said above it did not fit in my screen all the way well I had dev mode on and it's ok now. but in the drop down menu window to set the 10min etc. the letters are white and the background is white??? Thanks for your app and your reply's.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by RINGTONE JOE View Post
    I also have the mugen 3800 mah battery pack and mine says 306.299988...how does that read 3800 mah? To me it should say 3800 mah for total mah capacity or 3.8amps for total capacity. And as I said above it did not fit in my screen all the way well I had dev mode on and it's ok now. but in the drop down menu window to set the 10min etc. the letters are white and the background is white??? Thanks for your app and your reply's.
    Do you have any homebrew hacks at all?

The text AND background should not be white.

The capacity is a bit out of my hands. All I do is request the information, the webOS internal code calculates it and sends it to me. Since it's undocumented I can't really comment on how capacity is calculated.
    I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if someone else has already said this, but this would be a great app to incorporate a battery test capability. The way I envision this working is turning on airplane mode (to eliminate the variable signal issues), closing all other apps, and then running some kind of number crunching routine, for say 10-15 minutes or some fixed interval that makes sense. It should also keep the screen on.

This wouldn't be perfect by any means, but it would at least give us some kind of baseline so that we could compare battery use with other Pre users. I think this sort of thing is necessary.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    If there was any app, I'd donate for (and I never donate), it would be this one. Great job.

I'm disappointed at the battery drain though, I've had almost 15-16% battery drain per hour with my normal settings (AIM on, Auto Locate On, GPS on, running music player, brightness on lowest setting). After turning the locate features off (including GPS), aim, and changing the EVDO setting to 1x only, it has dropped slightly to 12-13% per hour. What gives? I don't have another battery to test with, so idk if it's my battery or my Pre.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that this is there because of several reported incidents where cellphones have caught fire (exploded?) due to battery related problems.

Maybe Palm is monitoring them and they'll call you before your phone blows up!

Ya never know...

Cheers,

-JerryG
    Thats pretty friggen funny.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismode View Post
    If there was any app, I'd donate for (and I never donate), it would be this one. Great job.

I'm disappointed at the battery drain though, I've had almost 15-16% battery drain per hour with my normal settings (AIM on, Auto Locate On, GPS on, running music player, brightness on lowest setting). After turning the locate features off (including GPS), aim, and changing the EVDO setting to 1x only, it has dropped slightly to 12-13% per hour. What gives? I don't have another battery to test with, so idk if it's my battery or my Pre.

Thanks Maybe I should make a Donate button eh? (yes, I'm Canadian). Ahh well, next app I make will have a "friendly appreciation button."

How long were you running the monitor for before checking your %? Give it a good hour on a minute-by-minute basis.

And what kind of stuff were you doing on the pre? Web browsing? Idle?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    My guess on the battery capacity is that Palm never imagined that people would add monster brick size battery packs on this thing and didn't dimension the variable properly to take that in to account. If it goes over whatever they setup the variable type as (it should have just been an integer-we don't need 6 decimal places) then it just goes out of bounds and wraps around. Someone smart could figure that out by calculating what the wrap around is by doing some analysis on these numbers: 2600 = 661 and 3800 = 306 and 1148 = 1148. (it is most likely some variant of 32/64/128/256/512...) Also neville could just make the code assume 6xx=a 2600 batt and a 3xx = a 3800 batt and just report that with a *.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    neville, You hang with carly, sam and freddie?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast