Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I also am still working on the best way to handle charging vs not charging while battery monitor is running so that there is no need to close battery monitor and open it again to track data while charging and then close and open again to track data again when not charging.
    Now that you mention it, I thought a restart button (or menu option) would be nice for a start. Of course, maybe you'd want it to act automatically on charging vs not charging but a restart button would be useful when you'd want to start measuring something else so you don't have to go throught the same closing-then-starting the app every time.
    Want to get the best Android Apps on your webOS device? Tell HP we need OpenMobile ACL!
    Sign the petition today at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/a...apps-on-webos/
    I have completed the help scene. I am going to load it onto my device to test it and make sure I didn't overlook anything in the changes I made to the app. I fixed a couple things and added a couple poll intervals that were requested. I don't think I'm going to be able to upload the update until I'm
    back in town. The network connection here is not reliable enough for me to feel confident the upload doesn't get corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Suava View Post
    Hah! That's exactly why I wanted to track this data now, to see if 2.0 would help with battery life! Anyway, sounds good, I'll just jot down the info for now.
    I feel ya, I have been manually copying down data for the past year and some months since release. The good news is that every update they said there was improvements to battery consumption I noticed in the numbers an improvement. Since the early versions they have reduced the idle consumption rate by about 15-20mA per hour. This may vary from device to device and depends on what background stuff each user is running and many other variables. But my guess is a majority of users experience similar ot the improvements I have observed. In general I figure the average user sees about 2%(23mA) per hour in idle state depending on how much background activity there is.

Quote Originally Posted by domicius View Post
    Now that you mention it, I thought a restart button (or menu option) would be nice for a start. Of course, maybe you'd want it to act automatically on charging vs not charging but a restart button would be useful when you'd want to start measuring something else so you don't have to go throught the same closing-then-starting the app every time.
    I was wanting to have it be automatic since some users will top off regularly through a days routine. I'm just thinking through how to do it before I start coding away at it since it may require significant alternation to the existing design. Everything graphing will have to distinguish between a charging state and not charging state. I'm assuming at this point that detecting if it is charging or not is 100% reliable. If not adding a reset button will probably be the way to go.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    1.0.8 changelog

Added help scene with details for all the different things. Please let me know if I need to add or change any of the info.

Added 2, 3, and 4 minute intervals

Fixed drain per hour over time graph to ignore when drain per hour is zero

If graphing is not enabled orientation change pushing graph scene is disabled

Corrected code for runtimes longer than 24 hours to add day count ex. 1d 23h 59m 59s and added spaces for easier reading

Turned off listening for rotate to landscape while in settings and help scenes so that the graph scene isn't pushed while users are in these scenes

Removed current background from CSS in preparation for changes to backgrounds. The background is still in the apps images directory.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I had a major problem with my pre on top of it being from verizon and running on sprint still with the verizon os version.

Battery started to drain supper fast. 100% charged at 6 am 0% and shut off by 2pm.

I downloaded this just to monitor the system. I set it to 15seconds intervals. It was 100% at 6am it is 12:10am and the phone is at 62% with talk time and internet. I turned battery monitor off for about 1 hours and the battery started to drain again. As long as the software is running the battery will not drain.

Thank you so much. Hope this helps other. I cant get the CPU temp going. Its just -- running the last version on 1.4.5
    Quote Originally Posted by virgiltu View Post
    I had a major problem with my pre on top of it being from verizon and running on sprint still with the verizon os version.

Battery started to drain supper fast. 100% charged at 6 am 0% and shut off by 2pm.

I downloaded this just to monitor the system. I set it to 15seconds intervals. It was 100% at 6am it is 12:10am and the phone is at 62% with talk time and internet. I turned battery monitor off for about 1 hours and the battery started to drain again. As long as the software is running the battery will not drain.

Thank you so much. Hope this helps other. I cant get the CPU temp going. Its just -- running the last version on 1.4.5
    you have to have a custom kernel installed that has the module for cpu temp insteral in order to access the information
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by virgiltu View Post

Very strange. Does this continue to happen after a reboot? Have you done anything recently with your device even if irrelevant as a possible cause for the odd drain rate when battery monitor isn't running? If it is still happening would you be willing to document a days routine to see if that bears any light on the situation? And document settings and other device details that may help narrow down things? Of course if it is no longer occurring after a reboot gathering extensive details from you will not be necessary.
    All the screenprints for 1.0.8 in precentral.net/homebrew-apps/battery-monitor-deluxe show the battery icon in the top right having been replaced by the percentage. I just downloaded 1.0.8. and have not seen the change in the battery icon. Is this a setting I'm missing or another app that's making the change?
    Quote Originally Posted by jonanddi2@yahoo.com View Post
    All the screenprints for 1.0.8 in precentral.net/homebrew-apps/battery-monitor-deluxe show the battery icon in the top right having been replaced by the percentage. I just downloaded 1.0.8. and have not seen the change in the battery icon. Is this a setting I'm missing or another app that's making the change?
    that's the 'battery icon as percent' patch.
    everette13 - thanks for pointing me to that patch; exactly what I was looking for; it works perfectly!
    i have been trying to find out why my phone seems to have split personalities and i'm hoping someone can help me out. i use mode switcher, and the two graphs below are same TOD and location, mode, settings, etc. also, preset reset restarts the phone every am.
    on some occasions, the power baseline is zero, as expected, but others it sits around 100mA (that pic is shorter duration, but it will stay like that for hours). obviously there seems to be something running, but i have no way of figuring out what it is. Jstop does not go into enough detail and lumberjack gives logs but i can't see how to tell what is running.
    further weird behavior, i thought it was my data radio being on, since some of the time if i turn data off, the power drain drops closer to the zero baseline....however, other times turning off data makes no difference, supporting the theory that something is running. BUT WHAT? i have spent many hours reading threads and experimenting, but until i can find out what is running in background, i don't think i'll get any further.
    -is there any way to tell what is running in the background at a given moment???
    -does anyone have any ideas on what is doing this or how i can troubleshoot it??
    -has anyone seen this been before??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In the second screenshot something is definitely actively running. The first screenshot appears to be normal activity with periodic activity waking the device such as email, synergy syncs, twitter, etc stpe stuff you may be have occur periodically. We can try a process of elimination to possibly figure out what could be running when you get the oddity seen in the 2nd screenshot. Perhaps a list of the apps and patches you have installed may be a good place to start. But before you take the time to list those out is it possible something is causing the screen to stay on? I know the screen on without anything other activity uses, depending on brightness, 100mA (at 10%) and 200mA (at 100%).
    Hey!

I know this app doesn't really get worked on any more, but I still use it. My one little request, should there ever be another update is to have the initial stat poll delayed like 5 seconds or so. As it stands now, it polls instantly at app open. If it was delayed 5 or so seconds, all that extra work for open app, displayin it, etc., wouldn't be factored into the average.

As it is now, I tap the icon and quick hit my power button to turn off the screen to attempt to not have that extra drain "count" towards the average.

I know this drain is minor, but that >250mA drain does throw off an average.

Just a wish list item, nothing major!

Thank you!

M.
    Do you need a data connection to show a graph? The latest version of the app does not show a requirement for a data connection
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I know this app doesn't really get worked on any more, but I still use it.
    Depending of the new Battery interface I'm considering to integrate a monitor function in dr.battery.
    I haven't been around much. Life has kept me from the forums and from having time to do any development for webOS. I don't know why it is taking so long for webOS 2.0 and I can't really continue development until I can work with 2.0. Plus with enyo that might bring new things to the table. Who knows really I haven't had time to spare to look into it. I know some of you want the more advanced features but I don't foresee me working more on it in the near future. Perhaps when life stuff settles down and they have 2.0 out etc I can continue adding new features.
    I'm experiencing a serious issue with BatteryMonitor on my Pre+ with 2.1... I'm running F104a, not sure if that is related or not, i hadn't tried BattMonitor before this kernel.

Anyway, the issue is this: after a clean reboot, i launch govnah to monitor resources, then launch batterymonitor. I turn off the screen and let it sit for a little while. When i turn it backon Govnah reports really high load averages, i'm talking 50's if i leave the phone off long enough!

Closing BatteryMonitor doesn't fix the issue, only a reboot. This is very repeatable.

Anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    I'm experiencing a serious issue with BatteryMonitor on my Pre+ with 2.1... I'm running F104a, not sure if that is related or not, i hadn't tried BattMonitor before this kernel.

Anyway, the issue is this: after a clean reboot, i launch govnah to monitor resources, then launch batterymonitor. I turn off the screen and let it sit for a little while. When i turn it backon Govnah reports really high load averages, i'm talking 50's if i leave the phone off long enough!

Closing BatteryMonitor doesn't fix the issue, only a reboot. This is very repeatable.

Anyone else?

I have exactly zero issues with Battery Monitor/Govnah/etc. This is also the wrong thread for this question since the closest thing would be a kernel thread, but it's not even related to that.

There will be high loads sometimes, especially for a few days after doctoring. When your phone is not plugged in and the screen is off, it suspends the OS (as much as possible). Work builds up in that time. If you have a large GMail (or whatever) mailbox - the WHOLE thing, not just your Inbox, the Pre will take DAYS to index (or whatever it's doing) all of it. This has happened to me EVERY time I've Doctored my Pre. It'll takes days of super poor battery life because of all the work it's doing.

This is quite normal, and to be expected, and of course just my experience and observations. Bottom line: It has nothing to do with the things you're running or have installed. It's Palm being Palm.

M.
    I'm checking in to say I've downloaded the 2.0 SDK and will be catching up on learning about anything new to it etc. I don't have webOS 2.0 on a device. I still have my launch day pre which may not survive much longer due to a crack on the screen which lead me to replacing it with a samsung epic as my primary device. I'm not sure if I'm up to date on news about if I can safely put webOS 2.x on my pre. At least as long as it still functions. I expect sooner than later that crack will cause the touch screen to no longer work.

But anyways is battery monitor functioning 100% on 2.x? Is there anything (except adding new features) other than the dropping of the mA value that gets loaded into the data upon app load that needs to be addressed? I plan to update the app some more but I'm not sure exactly how I will proceed with that. I'm also not sure going forward if a new from the ground up battery monitor app will need to be made for 3.0 and future devices. And if a new from the ground up is needed I'm assuming I can consider that one as my own app. Since, unless I'm forgetting something, this current version is still technically neville's I only donated my time to improving it beyond his final version.
    Hi StoneRyno,
    I'm working on an app idea which wil include battery monitoring.
    Mabe we can work together on it?
    I havn't code anything just a couple of ideas for the next Dr.Battery (or what ever the name will be)
    I will pm you some details.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I'm checking in to say I've downloaded the 2.0 SDK and will be catching up on learning about anything new to it etc. I don't have webOS 2.0 on a device. I still have my launch day pre which may not survive much longer due to a crack on the screen which lead me to replacing it with a samsung epic as my primary device. I'm not sure if I'm up to date on news about if I can safely put webOS 2.x on my pre. At least as long as it still functions. I expect sooner than later that crack will cause the touch screen to no longer work.

But anyways is battery monitor functioning 100% on 2.x? Is there anything (except adding new features) other than the dropping of the mA value that gets loaded into the data upon app load that needs to be addressed? I plan to update the app some more but I'm not sure exactly how I will proceed with that. I'm also not sure going forward if a new from the ground up battery monitor app will need to be made for 3.0 and future devices. And if a new from the ground up is needed I'm assuming I can consider that one as my own app. Since, unless I'm forgetting something, this current version is still technically neville's I only donated my time to improving it beyond his final version.

Welcome back from the Dark Side. Or is this the Dark Side these days? I'm losing track.

Yes, Battery Monitor works just fine with webOS 2.*. As far as a path forward, and as somline has already indicated, he's talked about doing something similar to what Battery Monitor does while still integrating his Dr. Battery stuff. I haven't a clue what he has in mind, but if you are truly interested in moving forward with Battery Monitor, you two might just make a good team.

M.