Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast
  1. ZFF
    as some other users, I too have lost the graphing. Maybe patch a conflict?

OS 1.4.1.1
    I'm using Uberkernel/Govnah
    4x4 icons v5
    Adv Config for App Launcher v1.4.1-20
    Adv Reset Options 1.4.1-1
    All Day Events in Month View 1.4.1-1
    Battery Icon as Percent 1.d.ese
    Default to month view
    SMS Tone per contact v2
    i'm not sure if this would help/affect the scaling requests in the previous posts, or even if only mine is graphing this way (the graph below does not seem to), but is it possible to have the graph not start at "0" (i.e. the first data point when BM is started) as this skews the graph and compresses the rest of the data in an artificially small scale? maybe it could be made to throw out the first data point and only graph from 1 minute onward?
    love this app as it has really helped track down what was draining my battery so fast previously (lousy sprint coverage)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZFF View Post
    as some other users, I too have lost the graphing. Maybe patch a conflict?

OS 1.4.1.1
    I'm using Uberkernel/Govnah
    4x4 icons v5
    Adv Config for App Launcher v1.4.1-20
    Adv Reset Options 1.4.1-1
    All Day Events in Month View 1.4.1-1
    Battery Icon as Percent 1.d.ese
    Default to month view
    SMS Tone per contact v2
    At the times when the graph doesn't appear it is a connection issue such as a connection time out or poor data connection (weak signal or very slow 1x roam). Simply go out and back in landscape mode or use the forward and backward buttons to move between graph segments. Allowing 5 or 10 seconds for the image to load from the google API. I haven't had time to work on battery monitor recently but I am thinking of changing the graphing. I'm going to look at what webos-internals uses in govnah.

Quote Originally Posted by everette13 View Post
    i'm not sure if this would help/affect the scaling requests in the previous posts, or even if only mine is graphing this way (the graph below does not seem to), but is it possible to have the graph not start at "0" (i.e. the first data point when BM is started) as this skews the graph and compresses the rest of the data in an artificially small scale? maybe it could be made to throw out the first data point and only graph from 1 minute onward?
    love this app as it has really helped track down what was draining my battery so fast previously (lousy sprint coverage)
    Basically this is how that graph works. The top of the y axis scale is the highest drain rate polled. The bottom of the axis is zero because with extended batteries it is possible to less than 1% per hour drain. I had not considered that there would be an extended period of time that it would remain at zero. I have changed it to ignore until drain per hour is not zero as I write this reply. I will have it out in the next version as soon as I figure out how I'm going to proceed with the various things that have been discussed for changes and additions.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    From the compcache thread...

Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    If you have one or more apps in mind I can test them and let you know.
    Yes:
    • Facebook
    • Some twitter client. Whichever
    • Contacts synced to google
    • Contacts synced to Palm profile

That said, probably the easiest way to do the job would be to wget a small file every X seconds for varying degrees of X. Pretty easy script to write, I'd think.

In fact, I should probably do that test myself. Then share my methodology for critique and/or repetition.
    Keep in mind battery monitor versions that have the graph in landscape mode only use data at the time of orientation change and no longer at each poll.
    1. Is there a way to disable this? I have already disabled graphing. But I still get the blank graph when going into landscape mode.
    2. If graphing is disabled, I presume that it doesn't use data at all.

Thanks for the reminder I forgot to add this to the to do list.
    Cool.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    From the compcache thread...

Yes:
    • Facebook
    • Some twitter client. Whichever
    • Contacts synced to google
    • Contacts synced to Palm profile

That said, probably the easiest way to do the job would be to wget a small file every X seconds for varying degrees of X. Pretty easy script to write, I'd think.

In fact, I should probably do that test myself. Then share my methodology for critique and/or repetition.
    Let me know what methodology you come up with. I haven't come up with a way to test syncing like this. I know with using tweed that switching to every 15 minutes vs every 1 hour there was no significant increase in consumption. I get new tweets enough for it to notify me every 15 minutes. I can turn it completely off and see if there is any significant difference. My device idle consumes 23mA per hour. Idle includes tweed notifications every 15 minutes; two email as items arrive (at most 10 total emails in a day); palms default synergy syncing for facebook, google, and palm profile for contacts and calendar. I plan on turning all of that off to see if there is any significant consumption.

Most polls over a 24 hour period measure between 2 and 9 mA per hour with occasional spikes. I assume the spikes are due to moments where radios are woken up for data transmission etc. I assume if nothing gets woken up at all the device would only consume an average of about 5 mA per hour though this is entirely theoretical since in airplane mode (all radios are off) my devices idle rate is nearly insignificantly less than on daily setup idle. A difference of 3 mA per hour based on the average seen with battery monitor. So even in airplane mode there is some sort of activity that keeps the cpu active at certain points. The graphing is very similar with 2to 9 mA for most polls with occasional spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    1. Is there a way to disable this? I have already disabled graphing. But I still get the blank graph when going into landscape mode.
    2. If graphing is disabled, I presume that it doesn't use data at all.

Cool.
    Good call, I overlooked disabling going into landscape mode if graphing is turned off. There is no reason to let it attempt to show an image on orientation to landscape if there is none to show. But your second statement is correct no data is used if graphing is turned off as an empty string is passed to the URL argument for the image source so nothing is attempted to be loaded. But for quality of battery monitor I should make it so that nothing happens when turned to landscape and graphing is turned off. I think simply putting a stop listening if graphing is off if block in the scene activate block or an if graphing is off don't show the graphing scene when landscape is entered. The difference for the latter is that you could view the item list in landscape which normally is not seen when graphing is on since it pushes the graph scene in the orientation change event.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jatta12 View Post
    used it, like alittle but its ok not all that
    only if your going to overclock you will need it
    how do u disable graphing and landscape mode.
    Is there anything it lacks that would make it useful to you or just not interested in monitoring you battery usage? Overclocking is one benefit of it but one can also use it to monitor battery consumption for certain apps or activity usage. I have been doing detailed analysis of apps and activity types to formulate consumption to help people maximize how long their charge lasts based on their specific usage patterns. Without battery monitor I wouldn't be able to measure the mA consumed for the many different things people use their devices for. Graphing can be disabled by turning it off in options. With the next update it will not go into landscape mode if graphing is turned off. I'm writing up a help section for it and will release that and the few fixes made per feedback from users as well for the next version. Hopefully it won't be much longer. A lot of life stuff has been going on so I've not had much time to work on writing the help stuff.
    Is there anything it lacks that would make it useful to you or just not interested in monitoring you battery usage? Overclocking is one benefit of it but one can also use it to monitor battery consumption for certain apps or activity usage. I have been doing detailed analysis of apps and activity types to formulate consumption to help people maximize how long their charge lasts based on their specific usage patterns. Without battery monitor I wouldn't be able to measure the mA consumed for the many different things people use their devices for. Graphing can be disabled by turning it off in options. With the next update it will not go into landscape mode if graphing is turned off. I'm writing up a help section for it and will release that and the few fixes made per feedback from users as well for the next version. Hopefully it won't be much longer. A lot of life stuff has been going on so I've not had much time to work on writing the help stuff.
    this is one of my most used apps -- i was kind of looking forward to another updated version but truthfully i would be hard pressed to figure out what feature you need to add

also i did not understand the purpose of the 3 or 4 posts before yours
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Here is a draft of the help text. The bold headings could be made as tap to view sections or could be split up with titled lists with titled list items.

Main Scene

Initial battery %

The actual battery percent reported by the battery at the time Battery Monitor is opened. This may vary from the percent reported to the device user interface found in the top bar and system menu. The reason for the difference is mainly due to the charging process of li-ion. More details about why actual battery percent and reported percent are different can be found in a variety of places including the precentral forums.

Current battery %

The actual battery percent reported by the battery at the time of the last poll. Just like with the initial battery it too may vary from the percent reported to the device user interface.

Runtime

The total running time of Battery Monitor. It is useful to determine how long a battery lasts from fully charged to zero or whatever point is chosen for charging. Over the long term this is useful for determining how long a normal routine lasts.

Drain per hour %

The average of the difference between initial and current battery percents and the runtime. It is somewhat flexible based on heavy usage and idle periods of time. And may be observed to increase or decrease accordingly especially during long periods of either.

Remaining life

An estimated time in hours based on the current battery percent and the drain per hour percent. Like the drain per hour percent heavy usage and idle periods may impact the amount reported. The longer period of either the more likely it goes up or down. Be cautious as the battery goes under 10% or even 5% because depending on usage and battery capacity while the battery is that low the remaining time may be overestimated. Especially if on a phone call or other high consumption activity for very long.

Batt. temperature

The temperature in degrees Celsius reported by the battery temperature sensor. Most if not all battery manufactures advise that the battery temperature should not exceed 60C. Details can be found in a variety of places on the impact temperature has on the battery including the precentral forums.

CPU temperature

The temperature in degrees Celsius reported by the CPU temperature sensor. A custom kernel with the service is required for it to be reported unless palm includes the service in the webOS kernel. Most CPUs are rated at a maximum temperature of 90C. However it is recommended that it should not even come close to that. Anything over 60C may be of concern. Unless the CPU is overclocked it's temperature will not likely exceed 50C unless under long heavy loads such as playing a 3D game. Battery charging and device radios (heavy carrier data and talk time) usage may impact CPU temperature.

Current

The mA amount at the time of the poll and in brackets the average mA of all polls for the duration Battery Monitor is running. The mA at the time of the poll is more or less a snap shot of activity or lack there of at the poll. It may be observed to be between 1 and 9mA from a poll where the device is completely idle. And spike at times where a background service such as a twitter client checks for new tweets or an email comes in or the screen is awakened to show a notification etc.

The mA average is a more precise measure of the over all use the device gets for the duration Battery Monitor runs and is not as flexible as the drain per hour percent. It can be used as a secondary method of calculating remaining life using the battery's capacity divided by the mA average equals the number of hours remaining. Keep in mind at 10% and 5% remaining that amount may be higher than actual remaining time especially during a call or other high consumption activity.

mA as %

Represents current (mA and mA average) in percent of the mAh capacity of the battery (set in the settings). The percent in brackets is mA average as percent. It is an alternative representation of drain per hour percent but is best used in conjunction with it.

voltage

The mV reported at the time of the last poll. This is only useful if monitoring to be sure the battery is within the proper mV operating range. Nearly everyone will have no reason to need to to that but it is included for those who may need to monitor it. Check the specifications for the proper mV operating range.

Settings

Graphing

If graphing is turned on Battery Monitor will temporarily store data for the graphing type chosen to be shown in a graph. The graph can be viewed by rotating the device into landscape mode. Rotating back to portrait mode will show the main scene list.

Graph Type

Percent over Time

The amount of battery remaining over the time frame Battery Monitor is running. This probably isn't the best option to choose unless you only want to get an over all picture of the how fast or slow the percentage declines from 100% to 0%. The other graphing types will probably be preferred.

Drain per Hour over time

The drain per hour % item in the main list at the time of each poll. It is a looser representation of the average drain rate compared to mA average. During periods of heavy use it will curve up and then curve back down with extended periods of idle time. Depending on usage patterns the curve up and down may not be very much or may be quite noticeable.

mA over time

Shows both the mA at the time of each poll and the mA average (blue line) for all polls over the time frame Battery Monitor is running. This is probably the most useful graph as it can show time frames where the device is used a lot or get a good picture of what is happening during idle periods of time. During periods of heavy use the mA average will curve up and then curve back down with extended periods of idle time. Depending on usage patterns the curve up and down may not be very much or may be quite noticeable.

Notifications

If notifications is on a notification will appear in the dashboard at the time of each poll with a brief overview of battery info. Current battery percent, drain per hour percent, and remaining life hours. It is recommended that notifications be turned off it the poll interval is set to one minute or less.

Poll interval

The interval at which Battery Monitor will check the services and update the main scene list. The faster the interval the more accurately detailed the over all picture of a days usage will be. If only the drain per hour percent at the end of a day is desired longer intervals will be fine. The more polls performed the more accurate all of the information in the main scene list will be. The shorter the time Battery Monitor will run the shorter the poll should be set to. Examples: if only one or two hours 15 or 30 second interval should be used, 24 hours or more 10 or 30 minute interval is fine.

Capacity

Change this to the capacity of the battery being used. If a battery capacity is missing please report the missing capacity in the official Battery Monitor thread on the precentral forums so that it may be added.
    I have been doing detailed analysis of apps and activity types to formulate consumption to help people maximize how long their charge lasts based on their specific usage patterns. Without battery monitor I wouldn't be able to measure the mA consumed for the many different things people use their devices for.
    Does the app upload data somewhere, or are you just analyzing dumps that people have sent you manually?

I was thinking it would be really cool to have an app that would sample the battery life as well as the different features currently used on the phone (screen on/off, GPS, WiFi off/connected/searching, data off/2G/3G, brightness, audio level, # apps running, phone model, OS version, etc.) and upload the data (anonymized of course!) somewhere like a Google Spreadsheet for analysis.

This could be used to build a model of how much battery life is really used by these features so people can make informed decisions about how to manage battery life. For example, I wonder if I'd be better off using WiFi when it's available in preference to 3G. Another example: an app that takes GPS samples (like GeoTasks) could advertise "less than X% loss of battery life".
    Quote Originally Posted by emmu View Post
    Does the app upload data somewhere, or are you just analyzing dumps that people have sent you manually?
    If graphing is on the data needed to plot the graph is transmitted to google chart API, otherwise no data is transmitted off the device. At this time there is no permanent storage of data, so any data from the app session is stored in variables that are cleared from RAM when the app is closed.

I was thinking it would be really cool to have an app that would sample the battery life as well as the different features currently used on the phone (screen on/off, GPS, WiFi off/connected/searching, data off/2G/3G, brightness, audio level, # apps running, phone model, OS version, etc.) and upload the data (anonymized of course!) somewhere like a Google Spreadsheet for analysis.
    Although the idea of automating such a process is great the implementation of such would be a massive under taking if at all possible to do. There is a process to do this which I detailed in a thread sometime back that resulted in zero volunteers to help gather the detailed data so I have been slowly recording the data for reference when helping people optimize their battery. I so far have data for screen brightness and a number of core types of activity, 3D gaming, audio streaming, talk time, idle device state in and out of airplane mode. And I'm working on how I'm going to measure radios and other lesser things like data transmission. The radios in idle states don't consume much power but do consume more power than if they were off.

This could be used to build a model of how much battery life is really used by these features so people can make informed decisions about how to manage battery life. For example, I wonder if I'd be better off using WiFi when it's available in preference to 3G. Another example: an app that takes GPS samples (like GeoTasks) could advertise "less than X% loss of battery life".
    Using wifi or the carrier data depends mainly on how much data is used and how frequently. It also depends on the quality of the connection bandwidth as well. In either case the longer data is being transmitted the more power consumed. It is a matter to figure out which consumes less on an individual basis. I will have more details in the near future for all sorts of stuff but doing it alone takes a long time as I have to repeat each thing many times to make up for lack of many users devices to provide more than a single sample.
    .... I have been doing detailed analysis of apps and activity types to formulate consumption to help people maximize how long their charge lasts based on their specific usage patterns. ......
    does anyone clear ideas about what apps or functions consume large amounts of power? i had at one point my phone down to 5-10ma/h at 'rest', but for some reason it has increased drastically in the last month. i removed some apps that i thought might be running in the background, and it seemed to help for a few days but the usage increased for no apparent reason. i put a graph below that shows these massive spikes every 10 minutes or so, but i don't know what they are (the white background is using the phone).
    i have email set for every 6 hours, a steady wifi connection at home and was not using the phone, just letting it sit to test power drain.
    stoneryno, you noted earlier you had your baseline consumption down to 4-6ma/h. do you know what might consume these huge spikes? my patches should not draw anything, and i disabeled all apps (wallpaper changer, etc) that might use power in the background. this seems really weird that after having low useage, it has gone up again.
    can anyone offer suggestions as to what to change?
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno
    There is a process to do this which I detailed in a thread sometime back that resulted in zero volunteers to help gather the detailed data so I have been slowly recording the data for reference when helping people optimize their battery.
    just saw this; tell me what info (or where this thread is) and i would be more than happy to collect/send whatever you need.
    Last edited by everette13; 07/09/2010 at 01:39 PM.
    Is there anything it lacks that would make it useful to you or just not interested in monitoring you battery usage?
    Ignore him, he's just spamming the forums with small one sentence posts in order to get his post count up to ten.
    I just installed this app for the 1st time thru Preware. I am running v1.0.7. Is that the latest version?

thanks for a nice app and keeping it up to date.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    does anyone clear ideas about what apps or functions consume large amounts of power? i had at one point my phone down to 5-10ma/h at 'rest', but for some reason it has increased drastically in the last month.
    This is basically the purpose of me quantifying as much as possible so that hogs can be identified through process of elimination. Anything that keeps the CPU or data active frequently or constantly are things to look at.

i removed some apps that i thought might be running in the background, and it seemed to help for a few days but the usage increased for no apparent reason. i put a graph below that shows these massive spikes every 10 minutes or so, but i don't know what they are (the white background is using the phone). i have email set for every 6 hours, a steady wifi connection at home and was not using the phone, just letting it sit to test power drain.
    From looking at the graph there is definately something running in the background and waking the device up about every 10 minutes. Perhaps a twitter, facebook, or other social networking app?

stoneryno, you noted earlier you had your baseline consumption down to 4-6ma/h. do you know what might consume these huge spikes? my patches should not draw anything, and i disabeled all apps (wallpaper changer, etc) that might use power in the background. this seems really weird that after having low useage, it has gone up again.
    can anyone offer suggestions as to what to change?
    thanks.
    The small amount of less than 10mA/hr is when the device is sleeping so to speak. But because of background activities built-in or otherwise periodically it will be woken up but I would not expect huge spikes ever 10 minutes. Most of the time the mA graph line should appear low compared to the jagged spikes seen in your pic. Depending on the frequency of polling it may vary how the graph looks. All of my testing involves using 15 second interval. This is how I observed that most of the time less than 10mA/hr is being consumed but occasional spikes occur as built-in or other apps and functions wake the device. I can run a check for a few hours on mine while I can let it sit idle and see the frequency of spikes on mine for comparison.

just saw this; tell me what info (or where this thread is) and i would be more than happy to collect/send whatever you need.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rticipate.html

This should be a good start for what I'm working on currently.

Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I just installed this app for the 1st time thru Preware. I am running v1.0.7. Is that the latest version?

thanks for a nice app and keeping it up to date.
    Yes this is the latest version. As soon as I code in the previously posted draft for the help scene I'll release 1.0.8 which also includes a couple fixes.
    Thanks, StoneRyno, for continuing development of this ap. It certainly beats watching the messages file.

Here's yet another feature request: display of signed data in the current/time graph.

The current/time graph apears to display the absolute value of the current. That loses the sign distinction between battery discharge current and charging current. Also the data and average graph lines don't make sense together after some time charging. I understand that you have focused on power usage during battery discharge and have some ideas for suspending data logging while charging to keep the data clean for monitoring discharge.

Really, I'd like to continue to collect current data while charging (as now) and use it to view current in & out of the battery over periods of charge & discharge. A graph of _signed_ current/time, showing the "zero current" line somewhere in the middle between positive and negative current values would work very well for that. Also, then, the data and average graph lines would continue to make sense together even when the data include some charging.

Thanks again for sharing your improvements to this ap.
    OK, so I have been having a recurring, almost constant problem recently. One minute, the Pre is showing that the battery is 80% or 90% full, and just minutes later, I get the 0% battery warning. Sometimes the phone will stay on for another 5-10 minutes before shutting off due to the dead battery, but it is still dead in an extraordinarily short period of time.

On a full charge, I'm getting less than 30 minutes of continuous use. I do have pretty much everything turned on - GPS, chat, BT, Wi-Fi, etc. - but 100% to 0% in just 30 minutes? That can't be right. So I ran the Battery Monitor app for a few hours today.

Check out my graph - it shows the battery dropping from around 80% straight down to 0% all at once. I have replicated this a handful of times today already. Do you think my battery has just gone bad? This phone has the original battery, and it is just over a year old. See attached screen shot.

Has anyone else experienced this with the Pre? Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeDale View Post
    Check out my graph - it shows the battery dropping from around 80% straight down to 0% all at once. I have replicated this a handful of times today already. Do you think my battery has just gone bad?
    It sure sounds like a bad battery, that's the first thing I would check.
    I tried searching for this info, but is there a way to export the data this app gathers? I'd like an easy way to do some testing and save the info to look at in Excel or something. Thanks
    I have a problem with a widgit not working right for the help scene. I've been working with someone to figure out why it isn't working and as soon as I got it working I'll release an update. Between now and webOS 2.0 I'm going to work on graphing. I am going to add one with CPU and battery temperatures. I also am still working on the best way to handle charging vs not charging while battery monitor is running so that there is no need to close battery monitor and open it again to track data while charging and then close and open again to track data again when not charging.

AwesomeDale,

Check out somline's Dr Battery app it has readouts for battery health and can do some other stuff related to battery health it is a good utility that may be of interest. Though I'd be inclined to say the battery is bad.

Suava,

I plan to add database and export features but this will likely happen after webOS 2.0 as there is going to be improvements etc made in that regard for webOS. And with that in mind I'm also going to rework things a bit heading towards that end. Currently it only tracks graph data for the type that is selected in the settings. I'm thinking of changing it so that it tracks data for all graphs and that setting will be the default shown when rotating for graph view. Then users can switch between the different graphs.
    I plan to add database and export features but this will likely happen after webOS 2.0 as there is going to be improvements etc made in that regard for webOS.
    Hah! That's exactly why I wanted to track this data now, to see if 2.0 would help with battery life! Anyway, sounds good, I'll just jot down the info for now.