Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast
    StoneRyno,
    Your efforts are much appreciated. Why not release what you have now so we can give you some feedback?
    sounds great can't wait to try it out

thanks for your work
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    StoneRyno,
    Your efforts are much appreciated. Why not release what you have now so we can give you some feedback?
    I have a bug to iron out with the cpu temp. Basically the info list doesn't look right if a kernel doesn't have the cpu temp service or if a null value is returned from the service. Should be simple enough to do I just have to postpone fixing it until after I have finished my exams. I have one tomorrow (tues) and one the following day. So tonight I'm going to finish studying for tomorrows exam and tomorrow finish the final exam project for my other exam. I think I will push the additions and improvements to the graphing feature to 1.0.7 and release 1.0.6 with the fix for the cpu temp feature and the orientation feature as the only changes from 1.0.5.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    where is 1.05
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    where is 1.05
    Something has gone wrong in the process for the precentral feed. I have made contact to find out what went wrong so unfortunately it is sitting in no mans land right now between been moderated and being published. I've been pretty busy with exams so I haven't payed attention to the status of the listing and how much time has passes since I added it. I'm attaching 1.0.5 for those who are interested in it. I'll most likely have 1.0.6 within a week which I think everyone will probably like better. My idea behind the larger graph in 1.0.5 was sound but in usage I wasn't as happy with it as it sounded in my head designing it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Thanks for the new ap -- i look forward to 1.6 -- i like the bigger graph but think that if you could figure out how to get it to deploy in the landscape view it would be better and i am excited about the addition of a cpu temp as well

thanks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I have partial progress on the next version 1.0.6. This version will include CPU temp for users who also have a kernel that supports it. I have to find out if i need to make special consideration in code if a kernel that supports it isn't present.
    Glad that you were able to figure out the CPU temperature code with the snippets I sent.

Let's hope that all overclocking kernels are quickly updated to include the internal CPU temperature sensor patch, since it's not possible to implement with a stand-alone patch - it must be compiled into the kernel.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I have partially completed the remainder of the landscape graphing. Basically the only part left to code is how to handle looking through the graphs (details below). I have sought some feedback on the best way to code looking through the graphs. Which means I will need more time that I originally estimated. I can release the current code as 1.0.6. The changes from 1.0.5 being landscape mode graph view (limited to one chart worth of data) and cpu temp if a kernel with support for it is installed (currently I think uber-kernel is the only one). And then release the multiple charts thing as 1.0.7. Or I can hold off and release it all as 1.0.6. Basically at that point almost all requests prior to my beginning work on the app have been worked into it. I'll save writing about those features for a later time.

Basically to avoid cramming and allowing for more data to be charted I have made it so after so many polls another chart is created. I have not coded an upper limit for that, which means if you run the app for week(s) it could use up a decent amount of ram storing the URLs for each chart. I could make the cap a setting to pick how long to retain. For example drop the first chart 24 hours after the last poll on it. Though I will have to figure out how to go about doing such a thing.
    Great work!! will this app ever be able to work in pure dashboard or notification mode
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Great work!! will this app ever be able to work in pure dashboard or notification mode
    Hopefully, problem is I have not been able to find any documentation on doing it only references that it can be done. Aside from the over complicated attempts to demonstrate the idea using the news app in the O'Reilly book I haven't been able to find example code. And they don't do a good job explaining the coding process. Basically in a nut shell I'm clueless on how to do it for battery monitor. In most other examples and explanations they say to do such and such you put this snippet here and this snippet there. But the cover multiple topics within the attempt to show running in background so I have no idea what code is relevant and what code isn't. I think I will need other coders help in making it happen if I can't get a clear example with documentation to show me how to do it. This and saving data for reference outside of the app are the only two suggestions I have not worked on. I believe they are going to be improving/changing data storage methods in the near future so I am holding off on coding data storage for later reference etc figuring I may have to redo things when the changes/improvements are made.
    I'm now testing the improvements to the landscape view of the graph. I decided to go with a view menu button group centered with back and forward buttons for flipping through the range of charts. For now there is no limit to how many polls are charted. So if you leave battery monitor running for 24 hours you can flip through the estimated 15 give or take graph segments depending on the interval set to see all of the data. RAM usage may be a concern if it runs for weeks. This will have to be determined in a grander usage scale so I will need people to report back if there is a point where it begins to bog down the device. Is there a way like with windows to see precisely how much RAM the app uses at any given time? If so this would be a good way to find out how much it is using if there is a point it begins to bog the device down. Also for those of you who are following the thread spread the word that there are updates to the app at least until whatever has gone wrong with my listing is sorted out. I'll keep attaching the updates to posts in the thread until then.
    Change log 1.0.6

Landscape mode left or right will show the graph (if graphing is on) full screen instead of the previous below the list of info. If graphing is off you may see a white border where the graph would be when in landscape mode.

Tracks virtually unlimited number of polls (upper limit can be added later if needed). Each graph holds a certain number of polls. There are back and forward buttons to move through the graph segments.

Time frame of the data for each chart segement appears on the x axis and the y axis min and max values for the data tracked. Example mA each graph segment will have a different max value on the y axis depending on the max mA consumption polled during that segments time frame.

Polls the CPU temperature if a supported kernel is installed (at this time I believe uber-kernel is the only one). "---" will be displayed initially and "***" should be displayed if a supported kernel is not present or if for any reason the service doesn't return a temperature.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Do I have to do it with my PC or can I just do it on my phone (as I was attempting)?
    it is a zip file once you unzip it will be an ipk file that you can install via webosqi.
    It's great to have this app! However, I'm unclear about how BatteryMonitor is graphing % drain over time. Is it the average drain since the start of the app? If so, I think plotting that doesn't make much sense. It would be much better to plot the % drain as a moving average over, say, the last 10 minutes. When it's plotted as the average drain over the entire time period, it doesn't really give you much information about current conditions.
    Am I the only one or is the forum saying there are more pages and posts than there really are in this thread? Example at the time of posting this it shows to me there are 12 pages and 221 posts (222 with this post) yet this is post #217.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    It's great to have this app! However, I'm unclear about how BatteryMonitor is graphing % drain over time. Is it the average drain since the start of the app? If so, I think plotting that doesn't make much sense. It would be much better to plot the % drain as a moving average over, say, the last 10 minutes. When it's plotted as the average drain over the entire time period, it doesn't really give you much information about current conditions.
    Drain per hour over time graph is simply the drain per hour from each poll graphed over time. It was one of the requests and seems to be somewhat useful to see that average over time. I'm not quite sure the best way to go about really short term tracking of any one piece of data. Especially the percent drain and mA averages since it seems at least 60 polls are needed for somewhat reasonable accuracy and ideal accuracy after about 120 polls. But that is why I added the mA over time graphing and which is more like what you are looking for. It graphs the mA consumption at the time of each poll over time rather than the average for the total run time. This is the best way to observer current usage conditions and see exactly when periods of higher consumption occur.

For example when the device is running idle the mA over time graph will show say about 10 mA give or take or less with occasional increases to about 30 to 50 mA give or take indicating a poll occurred at or near background activity other than Battery Monitor. During active usage with the screen on the mA over time graph will jump up to say 100 mA give or take depending on brightness setting and intensity of the app(s) in use. Running a 3D game or similar intensive app could indicate 100s of mA over the period of time the app(s) were in use.

Now back to the drain per hour graph it is best used for observing impact to total expected consumption. The percent drain calculations really serve very well in projecting how much longer before the battery dies. The graph gives a good observable up and down of the impact of certain usage has on how much time is left before the battery dies. The drain per hour is more or less in between the mA at the time of each poll and the mA average for the total run time. Because of the way it is calculated it is more influenced by periods of increased usage than the mA average.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 05/08/2010 at 11:24 PM.
    I am noticing that as well it shows a page 12 but you can't click on it. Hmmm!!
    There seems to be something wrong with this thread.
    Any way to integrate CPU load and EVDO/WiFi data throughput into the graph?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Am I the only one or is the forum saying there are more pages and posts than there really are in this thread? Example at the time of posting this it shows to me there are 12 pages and 221 posts (222 with this post) yet this is post #217.

When Page 12 is clicked .. it reverts back to Page 11
    When Manually changed to 12 in url.. same.

Update : Looks like mine is the 1st post on Page 12.. Finallly Page 12 comes to Life

But thanks a lot StoneRyno for your valuable work on one of my fav apps