Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
  1.    #161  
    Thank you very much.

Yes this feature is in the hopper.

Quote Originally Posted by scottr1 View Post
    FitTrack is a great app. Easy to use and the feature to export GPX is efficient.

So, is there a way to add a feature like "statistics" to plot a dynamic chart Distance/Altitude or Distance/Speed or ... ?

I treck and ride in mountain and this feature would be very appreciated.
  2.    #162  
    I may not use a library to do the charting so it will probably be a custom canvas implementation.

Pretracker is the old version that started FitTrack which was a while ago. It is no longer developed or supported.
    Thanks

I dev my own soft using GPS features to store waypoints when i treck or ride.
    It's very similar to FitTrack in term of UI.
    Actually, i try to implement a dynamic chart via ProtoChart and have some trouble to plot points dynamically.
    So, i'm very interested to know which approach you plan to do in FitTrack

What is the difference between FitTrack and PreTrack ?
    Quote Originally Posted by wjclint View Post
    Here is what I have done.

1. Take the GPX portion of the email and copy and paste it into notepad.
    2. Save it with file extension GPX.
    3. Go to GPS Visualizer and upload the file.
    4. Choose GPX as the output format.
    5. Download the converted GPX file.

I realize this is converting from GPX to GPX but I had trouble using the file without "converting" it. It seems to be much more universally accepted once it is converted by gpsvisualizer. There is also a program called gpsbabel that you can use.

I have successfully uploaded the "converted" GPX file to Garmin Connect, RidewithGPS.com, mapmyride.com and imported it into Sporttracks.

I went ahead and bought a Garmin Edge 305 for the Heart Rate and cadence since the Pre will never be able to do those and consolidated everything to Sporttracks which has more bells and whistles than you need (but still mess around with ridewithgps.com since it seems to be in its developmental stage).

This is true and if you look at the file you can see why.

FitTrack does not follow the GPX file specification with regard to date/time. Gpsvisualizer is parsing the date/time strings manually and thus gets around this problem. Here is what I mean:

The date/time string in your GPS file is something like:

Wed Mar 24 2010 19:56:47 GMT-0400 (EDT)

It must be:

2010-03-24T19:56:47Z

GPXvisualizer converts the two.

I convert them to a proper gpx format and then upload them to runningahead.com ... which is great website for runners, cyclists, etc.
    Just wanted to add that I didn't mean that as a dis on fit track - I love fit track and use it all the time. Its just a work around that I found for a particular problem. Still well worth purchasing!
  5.    #165  
    After tests i noticed that time is not correctly diplayed.
    Just after 59:59 the time displayed is 60:00 and not 1:00:00
    I ride this morning during 3:15:12 and the time displayed is 0:195:12 !!

Have you encounter this big bug ?
    This was a bug in the earlier version on FitTrack. The App catalog version has a completely different timing system and correctly tracks hours.
  6.    #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    This is true and if you look at the file you can see why.

FitTrack does not follow the GPX file specification with regard to date/time. Gpsvisualizer is parsing the date/time strings manually and thus gets around this problem. Here is what I mean:

The date/time string in your GPS file is something like:

Wed Mar 24 2010 19:56:47 GMT-0400 (EDT)

It must be:

2010-03-24T19:56:47Z

GPXvisualizer converts the two.

I convert them to a proper gpx format and then upload them to runningahead.com ... which is great website for runners, cyclists, etc.
    Thanks for brining this up. I will change my GPX system to follow the right format.
    Quote Originally Posted by troymiller View Post
    Thanks for brining this up. I will change my GPX system to follow the right format.

No problem, Troy. I found the format here:

GPX 1.0 Developer's Manual
    can I switch back and forth between the main stats screen and the map(with track being actively plotted) while jogging? Are there any plans to save workouts? Thanks
  9.    #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    can I switch back and forth between the main stats screen and the map(with track being actively plotted) while jogging? Are there any plans to save workouts? Thanks
    Yes you can switch back and forth between the stats screen and the map.
    Yes I have plans to save workouts. Its a time issue with me. I will be fixing a few bugs pretty soon and adding a few minor features then the next step is the add the save workouts feature.

I encounter problems to get satelites when i launch Fittrack even in good conditions (clear sky, no buildings, ...)
    It takes about 3 min and sometimes i'm oblige to reset my Pre.

have you encountered it and how you do to have a good fix in a short time ?
    Sadly I and anyone using the GPS service it subject to the whims of the service. If it works then cool, its supposed to. If it doesn't work, I get the "YOUR APP DOESN'T WORK. GPS DOESN'T RESPOND." reviews with no stars.

It is only supposed to take 30 seconds but can take minutes. Garmin GPS watches take a bit of time as well. 3 minutes isn't that bad when you think about it. Shouldn't you be warming up and stretching anyways?
    Just a general question....
    Does your app support both metric and imperial measurements?

Thanks
    Vas
  11.    #171  
    Yes, both unit types are supported.

Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    Just a general question....
    Does your app support both metric and imperial measurements?

Thanks
    Vas
    Does anyone know of a good GPX editor?

I want to be able to move the trackpoints. There is one called GeePeeEx but it states it is for the Garmin's specifically. The feature that it has that I really like is being able to move a waypoint.

-Just tried their trial version, the software will not load the full track. It only reads the waypoint and not the trackpoints.

The reason I want to be able to move them is the GPS is not completely accurate. I was walking around a park yesterday after purchasing the app. I uploaded the gpx file to gpxvisualizer and for the most part it was really accurate, but there were a few places where it showed me way off of the sidewalk I know I was walking on. I would like to be able to just drag\move\bump (whatever) those few waypoints back to the sidewalk I was on.

Any ideas?

EDIT - GoogleEarth will do it.
    Last edited by fizban_tx; 04/15/2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Answered my own question.
  13.    #173  
    I was going to suggest Google Earth but you beat me to it.

It is not the easiest to use but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by fizban_tx View Post
    Does anyone know of a good GPX editor?

I want to be able to move the trackpoints. There is one called GeePeeEx but it states it is for the Garmin's specifically. The feature that it has that I really like is being able to move a waypoint.

-Just tried their trial version, the software will not load the full track. It only reads the waypoint and not the trackpoints.

The reason I want to be able to move them is the GPS is not completely accurate. I was walking around a park yesterday after purchasing the app. I uploaded the gpx file to gpxvisualizer and for the most part it was really accurate, but there were a few places where it showed me way off of the sidewalk I know I was walking on. I would like to be able to just drag\move\bump (whatever) those few waypoints back to the sidewalk I was on.

Any ideas?

EDIT - GoogleEarth will do it.
    Is anyone else having issues with the GPS being off by about 100ft? I took a bike ride this morning, and used FitTrack. I don't think it is a problem with FitTrack, the app seems to be working perfect. But when looking at the exported gpx data in Google Earth it shows me biking right through some houses when in fact I was on the sidewalk on the other side of their back yards. I have a pretty early model Pre bought it after the Pre had been out for about a month. Is this an accuracy issue with the GPS radio in the Pre?
    Ok... so using fittrack around my neighborhood just biking around the streets and the GPS has been way off. It shows me doing things like making small circles, or riding over house's, etc. I tried Ebag333's hack to enable Autonomous GPS:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html

It made a huge difference. I can now let GPS acquire a signal and then put the phone in Airplane mode (otherwise it takes way too long to lock in...) and the GPS stays dead on.

Only one BIG problem. Looks like the timeout issue is back. I have ridden the same loop multiple times. Without going into Airplane mode (using assisted GPS) I am all over the place, but I get the whole loop. Twice I have tried airplane mode with autonomous GPS. The GPS is dead on, even showing me hugging the curbs going down the street. But both times the timer stops at 14:58 or 14:59. I will try again tomorrow playing music in the background (just music player.)
  16.    #176  
    I have always wanted to try that autonomous GPS trick. Thanks for trying out FitTrack with it turned on.

I will see what I can do about the 15 minute timeout thing. Look for it in my next update.

Quote Originally Posted by fizban_tx View Post
    Ok... so using fittrack around my neighborhood just biking around the streets and the GPS has been way off. It shows me doing things like making small circles, or riding over house's, etc. I tried Ebag333's hack to enable Autonomous GPS:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html

It made a huge difference. I can now let GPS acquire a signal and then put the phone in Airplane mode (otherwise it takes way too long to lock in...) and the GPS stays dead on.

Only one BIG problem. Looks like the timeout issue is back. I have ridden the same loop multiple times. Without going into Airplane mode (using assisted GPS) I am all over the place, but I get the whole loop. Twice I have tried airplane mode with autonomous GPS. The GPS is dead on, even showing me hugging the curbs going down the street. But both times the timer stops at 14:58 or 14:59. I will try again tomorrow playing music in the background (just music player.)
    Ok... confirmed again that with the Autonomous hack the 15minute timeout is back. Left music player open and it keeps it going.

I wanted to test the difference between Autonomous mode and normal so I took a few laps around a local park. Here are the results. (Just a note, I walked the same path both times even though the Green path looks like I took a different route. And, I stayed on the concrete sidewalk the whole time.)

The Red track was with the GPS in autonomous mode; done by doing the following:
    1.) Turning on Airplane Mode.
    2.) Rebooting the phone.
    3.) Confirmed still in Airplane mode, no calling, no texting, no wifi, no EV, notta.
    4.) Dialing ##GPS#
    5.) Hit "Get a Fix" button.
    6.) The first time it gave an error that it could not get a fix. gave it a few moments and tried again. All in all it took roughly 3 to 5 minutes (I was not paying much attention to the clock.)
    7.) Opened Fittrack
    8.) Clicked the Locate Me button.
    9.) Clicked Start.
    10.) Walked the loop.

When I made it back to the start point I:
    1.) Clicked Pause.
    2.) Disabled Airplane Mode
    3.) Waited for EV signal and phone signal to come back.
    4.) Emailed myself the GPX
    5.) Clicked reset
    6.) Clicked Start
    7.) Walked the loop again.
    8.) When done, clicked Pause.
    9.) Emailed myself the GPX file.

You can see how bad the normal GPS mode is. I am guessing that the navigation apps completely rely on some kind of SNAP to Street algorithm or something. I was hoping to use this phone\app as a biking computer and trail mapping when I go mountain biking. The problem is that even in Autonomous mode, although it is much more accurate it still is just not quite there. I wonder if this is Palm's drivers for the GPS, or just an inaccurate or maybe just under powered GPS chip in the Pre.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  18.    #178  
    I may try what you did and test out autonomous mode.

Here is my most recent GPX from today. I would say it is not too bad.

FitTrack Export - Running - Everytrail
    I did a quick bike ride this evening comparing Autonomous mode of the Pre with my old Palm Treo 800w with a Bluetooth iBlue 737 GPS.

There really was no comparison, the iBlue is just so much more accurate.

BTW, what is the sample rate in Fittrack? (The app on my old Treo was limited to storing a trackpoint once every 10 seconds.) Looking at the last map of my ride, it looks like Fittrack was sampling about every 4 seconds or so (just guessing from the look of my map.)

I would have liked to use my Pre for mapping mountain bike trails, but I don't think it is accurate enough for it. - That and I don't know how well it will hold up under a canopy.

From all of the Apps that I could find for my old Treo to use, and all of the ones I have played with on the Palm, I have to say I really like Fittrack. I wish WebOS supported the Bluetooth SPP profile so I could use my iBlue with Fittrack.

-For now I will continue to use Fittrack + Autonomous Mode.

-For a feature request, have you looked at storing the trackpoints as rows in a Database so you can store them without writing to the filesystem? This way we could store mulitple tracks? I believe one of the other GPS apps on the pre does this...

-Or maybe a special Preware vs that uses Filemgr to store locally?
    Last edited by fizban_tx; 04/22/2010 at 09:54 PM.
    Here's a quick look at one of the corners I took today.

Keep in mind I was hugging the left side of the street the whole time. The iBlue is right on, but due to the sampling rate of the application I was using it cut the corner square. The Pre has me way off to the right, riding through people's yards.

For normal use this is OK, and for basic navigation it is OK. But, for what I was hoping to use it for, it is just not there yet. Man I wish WebOS would support SPP (bluetooth GPS.)

Fittrack is awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast