Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    I sound like a broken record, but is there any way I can get the paid app in Canada. Palm still won't let us buy paid apps, and has not even indicated when we might.

Happy, to pay, just want to be allowed to.

Andrew
    Hi,

I have the paid version of FitTrack. I have used it just a couple of times to test it out before cycling season really starts here.

My questions are mainly on using the GPX email option and where is a good place to upload the data. I had a Garmin Edge205 device that I could upload the data from to Garmin Connect. Can I upload the GPX file to this type of site?

Is there a tutorial on how to make the correct format for using the GPX data so I can start using the information on an uploaded site? I would like to start tracking my rides as soon as all this crazy snow is gone.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Rob
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crewcabrob View Post
    Hi,

I have the paid version of FitTrack. I have used it just a couple of times to test it out before cycling season really starts here.

My questions are mainly on using the GPX email option and where is a good place to upload the data. I had a Garmin Edge205 device that I could upload the data from to Garmin Connect. Can I upload the GPX file to this type of site?

Is there a tutorial on how to make the correct format for using the GPX data so I can start using the information on an uploaded site? I would like to start tracking my rides as soon as all this crazy snow is gone.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Rob
    Here is what I have done.

1. Take the GPX portion of the email and copy and paste it into notepad.
    2. Save it with file extension GPX.
    3. Go to GPS Visualizer and upload the file.
    4. Choose GPX as the output format.
    5. Download the converted GPX file.

I realize this is converting from GPX to GPX but I had trouble using the file without "converting" it. It seems to be much more universally accepted once it is converted by gpsvisualizer. There is also a program called gpsbabel that you can use.

I have successfully uploaded the "converted" GPX file to Garmin Connect, RidewithGPS.com, mapmyride.com and imported it into Sporttracks.

I went ahead and bought a Garmin Edge 305 for the Heart Rate and cadence since the Pre will never be able to do those and consolidated everything to Sporttracks which has more bells and whistles than you need (but still mess around with ridewithgps.com since it seems to be in its developmental stage).
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
  4.    #144  
    Hello,

The GPX is a standard format for this kind of data so most websites will allow you to upload. You just need to copy and paste from your email into a new file and name it with the .gpx extension.
    If Palm allowed developers to save files it would make it much easier but until I can get a dedicated server I wont be able to make it easier quite yet.

My favorite site for uploading GPX data are the MapMyFitness.com sites. If you run it is MapMyRun.com and if you ride its MapMyRide.com.

Quote Originally Posted by crewcabrob View Post
    Hi,

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Rob
  5.    #145  
    I wish there was a way but I don't think I can sell it outside the App catalog according to the contract with Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by aharmsworth View Post
    I sound like a broken record, but is there any way I can get the paid app in Canada. Palm still won't let us buy paid apps, and has not even indicated when we might.

Happy, to pay, just want to be allowed to.

Andrew
    Something I noticed in an earlier version, and I'm curious if it is still an issue.

When the GPS doesn't have a good fix, the app stops recording distance (this is ok). But, I also noticed that the timer stops. Does it still do this, or does the timer continue running?

Justin
    @ troy - I have a friend (fellow Canuck like myself) who was able to pay the developer of a US app, even though the app was not available in the Cdn App Store. He made a $5 donation via PayPal, and the developer asked him for his Pre Device ID. Once he had that, he was able to do something on his end so that the full, paid app appeared on my friend's phone.

Any idea how you could do something similar so we could get your full version?
    Last edited by jfstevens; 02/11/2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: deleted text
  8.    #148  
    I fixed quite a few bugs from the preware version to the app catalog version. I don't believe this is an issue. I have not experienced it in the new version and have not heard of bug reports either.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHoMi View Post
    Something I noticed in an earlier version, and I'm curious if it is still an issue.

When the GPS doesn't have a good fix, the app stops recording distance (this is ok). But, I also noticed that the timer stops. Does it still do this, or does the timer continue running?

Justin
  9.    #149  
    I will look into this. There must be some other threads that have discussed this.

Quote Originally Posted by jfstevens View Post
    @ troy - I have a friend (fellow Canuck like myself) who was able to pay the developer of a US app, even though the app was not available in the Cdn App Store. He made a $5 donation via PayPal, and the developer asked him for his Pre Device ID. Once he had that, he was able to do something on his end so that the full, paid app appeared on my friend's phone.

Any idea how you could do something similar so we could get your full version?
    Hi- This looks great! Is there a plan to add heart rate monitor reading to the app?
  11.    #151  
    That would be a nice addition but I think we would need more hardware options to tie into a heart rate sensor. I dont know if there are bluetooth heart rate monitors but I think that would be the closest to happening.

Quote Originally Posted by cjmoore205 View Post
    Hi- This looks great! Is there a plan to add heart rate monitor reading to the app?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    This question is for anyone who knows, but when I use gpsvizualiser and add my event to mytrails (which logs the event in google maps) the distance is off a little bit, say a quarter mile short over a three mile event. Which is more accurate, fittrack or the mytrails google map? Thanks.
  13.    #153  
    I ran an analysis on one of my FitTrack sessions on some enterprise GIS software and compared it to a few other sites. I found the the FitTrack distance matched what the GIS software said it was. I wouldn't call it and say FitTrack is correct without using a wheel and getting a real world distance though.

How long was your event? Did the FitTrack distance match the event better or did google maps?

Quote Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
    This question is for anyone who knows, but when I use gpsvizualiser and add my event to mytrails (which logs the event in google maps) the distance is off a little bit, say a quarter mile short over a three mile event. Which is more accurate, fittrack or the mytrails google map? Thanks.
    like the app. I used an app called gpx mapper to view my emailed file. Would love it if there was a way to just save the gpx data to the downloads folder and I could then just pull it up from there. Great app use it alot. Thanks.
  15.    #155  
    Thank you.

I have been really busy but I am working on a small update with some bigger update plans in the works. The saving of GPX data is one of those items but I have to devise a server based solution because I cannot write files directly to the phone as of yet.

Saving of routes, and being able to recall that info is defiantly on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Clancejr View Post
    like the app. I used an app called gpx mapper to view my emailed file. Would love it if there was a way to just save the gpx data to the downloads folder and I could then just pull it up from there. Great app use it alot. Thanks.
  16.    #156  
    I tested FitTrack quite a bit this weekend. I ran with my pre loaded with my latest version that is in review and a garmin GPS watch. FitTrack was spot on with distance. I cannot say the same for another GPS app in the catalog as I was running it as well. After 6 miles FitTrack and the garmin were right on 6 miles but the other app showed 5.91 miles.

Pace on FitTrack was pretty close to the Garmin but would tend to bounce a little above then below what the watch would say. I'll see if I can clean up the data a bit more. Part of it may be the GPS watch is more accurate of a device and can track it better. They also have a little bit bigger R&D budget then me.

I added a KCalorie calculator in the latest build. Enter your weight in preferences and it will estimate how much energy you are using. It is variable so if you happen to speed up or slow down it will adjust to the new intensity. One thing I need to work out is it assumes you are not using a machine like a bike so only run/walk/jog will be accurate.

I still have plans to roll out new features so stay tuned. Part of my motivation is I am training for a half marathon in May. Wish me luck.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by troymiller View Post
    I ran an analysis on one of my FitTrack sessions on some enterprise GIS software and compared it to a few other sites. I found the the FitTrack distance matched what the GIS software said it was. I wouldn't call it and say FitTrack is correct without using a wheel and getting a real world distance though.

How long was your event? Did the FitTrack distance match the event better or did google maps?
    Good luck. May is soon.

The only thing I have to test distance with other than Fittrack is my car odometer, so I'll give it a try.

Would you mind loading your tests into a service like gpsvizualizer or load it up somehow into google maps to see how they compare? Invariably Fittrack shows a longer distance than google maps even when I use the same data. But if you have success cross checking it against the Garmin, that's probably accurate.

I love this app. It has been very useful and the work you have done since taking it on has been terrific. Thanks.
  18.    #158  
    I will be running 7 miles tomorrow as I continue my training. This should give me enough data to perform some good data analysis.

I have access to enterprise GIS software so I will be running my gpx data through them and post the results. I will use AutoCAD Map 2010 which will give me very accurate results.

Also if anyone is having issues getting a GPS fix with FitTrack please contact me. (PM, or in the support section of the app) I would love to do some troubleshooting. Some app catalog reviews are giving me no stars because they cant get a fix but I have never come across a situation where the GPS service is working (real GPS, not cell fix) and FitTrack is not. If this is the case with anyone I would love the help to solve it.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
    Good luck. May is soon.

The only thing I have to test distance with other than Fittrack is my car odometer, so I'll give it a try.

Would you mind loading your tests into a service like gpsvizualizer or load it up somehow into google maps to see how they compare? Invariably Fittrack shows a longer distance than google maps even when I use the same data. But if you have success cross checking it against the Garmin, that's probably accurate.

I love this app. It has been very useful and the work you have done since taking it on has been terrific. Thanks.
    Has anyone tried wether the emailed GPX files work "out of the box" with SportTracks from Zone Five Software? It is a free software for Sports Analysis, has built-in Map Support and such - basically all I was looking for. I use it to track all of my activities, and there are plugins to export the data to your favourite website if you still need that. I'd love to try FitTrack, but I don't want to mess around with the GPX files. Hopefully they work out of the box.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    Has anyone tried wether the emailed GPX files work "out of the box" with SportTracks from Zone Five Software? It is a free software for Sports Analysis, has built-in Map Support and such - basically all I was looking for. I use it to track all of my activities, and there are plugins to export the data to your favourite website if you still need that. I'd love to try FitTrack, but I don't want to mess around with the GPX files. Hopefully they work out of the box.
    It won't work "out of the box" but if you convert the GPX file to GPX using gpsvisualizer.com the converted file will work with Sporttracks (although the time is wrong - probably a time zone thing). It only takes a few seconds to upload and download the GPX file with gpsvisualizer.com. You can fix the time during the import process manually.
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast