Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I will see if I can get the show map button working. I wanted to get the route to show up in google maps but I have not seen a way to use the maps API from the Pre.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I haven't tried this app yet since it updated from PREtrack, but I've had a problem with PREtrack twice, both times in areas where I had no phone signals. The app takes a very long time to load (minutes), and it doesn't seem able to find any GPS satellites once it does load. Which doesn't make it very useful when I'm climbing mountains. Is this expected behaviour?
    Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 850 pro (Microsoft finally beats me?)...No! Saved by Palm, yay Prē!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Despayre View Post
    I haven't tried this app yet since it updated from PREtrack, but I've had a problem with PREtrack twice, both times in areas where I had no phone signals. The app takes a very long time to load (minutes), and it doesn't seem able to find any GPS satellites once it does load. Which doesn't make it very useful when I'm climbing mountains. Is this expected behaviour?
    Sadly at this point there is only assisted GPS. So if you do not have a data connection the GPS does not work. Lame I know but there may be some hope that Palm will expose the GPS directly so we can use it away from a data connection.

That explains why it takes so long for you to load the app. If you open google maps and look at your location you will probably see a large area estimating your location. This means the GPS is not accurate. The app does not start until there is an accurate location. PRETracker just sampled the GPS on on the third return it let you start. FitTrack Not only samples the GPS but also only allows accurate samples. This is why distance is right on and speed and pace is much better.
    I used this program on the golf course yesterday. I am trying to capture 2 pieces of info. 1) Elapsed time of round and 2) how far I walked. The timer worked great. The distance walked calc was wrong. Does the Pre need to have a sky view at all times for this to work? Or, does the going back and forth on adjacent holes not register? Thanks
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmulligan View Post
    I used this program on the golf course yesterday. I am trying to capture 2 pieces of info. 1) Elapsed time of round and 2) how far I walked. The timer worked great. The distance walked calc was wrong. Does the Pre need to have a sky view at all times for this to work? Or, does the going back and forth on adjacent holes not register? Thanks
    One thing we are working on is to keep the GPS active. If the screen is not touched every 15 minutes it stops polling your location. That is why the distance is off for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by troymiller View Post
    One thing we are working on is to keep the GPS active. If the screen is not touched every 15 minutes it stops polling your location. That is why the distance is off for you.
    First of all, excellent work so far. I'll be keeping a close eye on this project.

As far as keeping it active, have you tried looking at the "timepiece" app? It's a simple clock app that keeps the screen and all the data connections open. It would probably keep the GPS active as well.

Obviously, you don't want to have to use Timepiece, but it demonstrates that it is possible.
    Well, this is a positive development with the app. I walked at lunch yesterday and the time, distance, and mph were spot on. I kept Pandora running so that WebOS stayed awake. I walked last night and received a phone call while running the app. Everything stopped, and the distance and time set back to zero. What should happen when a phonecall is received while running the app?
  8. st
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    not all of us are distance runners, any chance for a yards option or meters? thanks
    I just downloaded the application and tried it. I really like it. I had a stopwatch running in the background to keep it live. When will we be allowed to save the data?
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by packpackpack View Post
    Well, this is a positive development with the app. I walked at lunch yesterday and the time, distance, and mph were spot on. I kept Pandora running so that WebOS stayed awake. I walked last night and received a phone call while running the app. Everything stopped, and the distance and time set back to zero. What should happen when a phonecall is received while running the app?
    That is interesting. It should not just stop. The phone may turn off the GPS but it shouldn't stop the timer. Looks like we need to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by st View Post
    not all of us are distance runners, any chance for a yards option or meters? thanks
    I am not sure how accurate this app will be with shorter distance sprints but yes we are working on different units.

Quote Originally Posted by lwilliams022 View Post
    I just downloaded the application and tried it. I really like it. I had a stopwatch running in the background to keep it live. When will we be allowed to save the data?
    If WebOS allowed files access we would have data saving already. We probably could get some kind of database storage working but there is no way to analyzed it. It is on the list but the first priority is getting the basic functionality working.

I will be posting an update to the app that will have the 15 minute timeout issue taken care of. There are also some minor improvements to the app.
    I did a run yesterday with FitTrack (playing DrPodder in the background to keep it alive)and wearing a Garmin Forerunner 305. The Garmin showed a distance ot 3.10 and FitTrack showed 3.19. I'll compare it with my Magellon in the car tomorrow.
  12. st
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    THanks for your quick reply. Yards and meters would be awesome and close is good enough for me.
    i wonder is it possible to add "top speed" in the statistics? Thanks guys. I love the software its the only reason i get my fat *** to runn lolz
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Lot of great suggestions, but I think the best suggestion would be to have a calorie and carb burned counter. Per minute and per session.

Why do I think this suggestion is the best? Cuz it's my suggestion!!! ;0)

I am sure there is some calculation/formula that can be used with velocity and distance [maybe even incline] to calculate calories/carbs burned.
    And weight, male or female. Don't forget that for the calorie calc.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    FitTrack & PreTrack didn't work today.

Pandora was running and was accessing the interweb. I also received an incoming call, but both FitTrack & PreTrack gave me an Error code 4 or something....had trouble fixating my location. On the stats sheet it said there was an error in latitude of about 4700 feet. Almost a mile.

It was overcast and rainy here today. Not torrential, but a light drizzle all day.
    Hello troymiller and others,
    I've been looking for an open source GPS tracker sort of program that I'd like to work with so that I can eventually contribute to Open Street Maps. I searched but did not find your project before starting this thread earlier tonight:

Anyone want to help develop WebOS apps to use in the Open Street Mapping project
    EDIT: For some reason I can't get the above link to work. Please search for the above thread if the link does not work for you. -- thx

I believe that Open Street Maps may be more valuable to runners than Google Maps. I have a friend who is working on topographical maps for OSM. He has done Massachusetts and Colorado so far. Perhaps if you have a significant group or runners in a state with interesting topography, I could persuade him to work in those states next. I'd like to learn more about FitTrack and possibly work together with you to either add features or to fork your work for map making purposes. I'm not even sure I want to start a new project for this yet. I'm hoping you can visit the thread I started and contribute any ideas.

thanks,
    --
    Bob Clancy
    Last edited by sudoer; 09/19/2009 at 08:19 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  18.    #38  
    Just posed the new version.

-Fixed GPS timeout issue.
    -Five minute notifications showing distance.
    -Back end code change (More modular).
    -Smoother speed and pace calculations.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been the only one posting code for a while and I don't have tons of spare time. We need a few people to work on several sections of the code. One major section would be the profile portion to allow calorie calcs as well as different units. The structure is in place to allow metric units but no way to turn it on while the app is running.

Slowly but surely this this will develop and have a full feature set.

Thanks,
    I am in the middle of working on my own software development but I want to add my 2, 4 and 6 cents (since Iíll post this in three parts):

1. Thanks for making this. Itís a good start.
    2. The early users initially will be a) tech centric. b) fitness-goal oriented. i.e., Homebrew SW users & cutting edge fitness tracking SW users BUT donít forget that the majority of users WILL BE casual fitness pepes.
    3. Calorie counters are a red-herring to complete a good and stable app. It is needed but should be de-prioritized (as should things like OSM).

FEATURES & PRIORITIES
    4. Priorities: Your 09/17/2009, 11:20 AM Post correctly prioritizes a couple of key features. Most of your early users will want to keep the app alive without having to worry about running other apps (essentially trickery) Ė MOST IMPORTANT. Solve this.
    5. Data Analysis: They will also want to analyze the data, that is, save the data using the platformís HTML 5 db objects & callbacks. You could start with simple pacing, distance, time, et. al. it may get as complex as GPX. Mitchís book addresses data in DBs starting on pg. 170. If you do this then you could also save error codes so we can send them to you. Let us help you.
    6. Active Screen: Thinking about it from a runnerís or a bikerís perspective then the user would not be looking at the screen every 3 to 5 seconds. I think, more realistically, she would look at the stats every 60-120 seconds (if that often). This suggests that the card / visible stage does not need full screen activity the entire time. Consider a custom notification stage size (e.g., 160px high) with the key elements (for example, distance & pace & time). This change is less important for now.

=====================================
    =:-D
    Continuing on that train of thought of features and priorities...

TIMERS & ALARMS
    7. Auditory Alerts: Re-reading user feedback here it appears that most people (as do I) want to use this app while listening to music. Consider adding text-to-voice alerts at distance or time markers (ď1 mileĒ or ď9 minutesĒ). It reduces the need to look at the app until the end of a workout.
    8. Timers: consider adding /changing the timers and counters so that they countdown. In other words, a 35-minute program counts down with an alarm. Or a 10-mile program counts down with an alarm. These could be selected through drop-downs.
    9. Pace calculations: the display of Speed & Pace is important in training. You currently provide only MPH. you should add another large field or toggle the display every few seconds back and forth to show both standard ways of displaying pace. A more standard way of giving this info is:
    x.xx min/mile & x.xx MPH
    10. Measures and conversions: One poster here in this forum asked for meters/feet because he/she does not run long distances. This is actually something to consider from a different perspective. With the European users about to come online in about 1-2 months they will want meter & KM displays. It makes sense to offer this preference option.
    11. Compare Pace Features: I currently use a Suunto HRM and it has a something simple to let me know if Iím pacing too slow or too fast, if my HR is too low or too high. This means storing pre-set pace variables. These devices that exist already can give you a pretty good prioritized roadmap to follow. While this particular feature is taken from my current Suunto T3i and my old Polar HRM feature set it still seems a lower priority for now but a way to consider future / forward-looking dev.

=====================================
    =:-D
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast