Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Alcoholics Anonymous for webOS prepared by John K and Rick B

This app includes the first 181 pages of Alcoholics Anonymous formatted for webOS including the foreword, the Doctor's Opinion, the front sections, and Dr Bob's story from the public domain first edition. The page numbers in this version correspond to those in the third and fourth editions.

Features:

• Individual chapters with a page menu to allow you to quickly jump to a chapter and page.
    • Full text search of every word in the Big Book with "and", "or" and "exact phrase" searching.
    • Search lists all matches, and jumps to the one you select on a tap.
    • Search terms are highlighted for easy reference.

The stories in the back of the third and fourth editions of Alcoholics Anonymous are copyright by the AA World Services Inc and by The AA Grapevine, Inc. AA has not given permission for the distribution of those stories in this form at this time. You can view then as a pdf at the AA web site: The Big Book Online: Personal Stories.

Simple Big Book is based on Simple Bible developed by the Simple Bible team at PreCentral.net.

Release 1.0.0 is considered feature complete by John K and Rick B. Future development is available to anyone who wishes to work on it, the app is release GPL3.

We hope you find this effort to be of service.

Link to repository: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/simple-big-book

Rick B and John K
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rboatright; 09/26/2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: final release
    As a Chemical Dependency Professional... and in recovery, I appreciate you putting this app here. As for "free hurricane's comment"....It's probably something you need to read.
    Thanks for this - this to me is a milestone in the Homebrew Apps -
    Seeing the work you have done on this and the Bible Would it be possible to adapt a version of the California penal code and vehicle code? This would be a huge APP for those involved in law enforcement. Keep up the good work!
    Actually, the Simple Bible and this app are from separate developers. This is an app derived from the Simple Bible (thanks for the acknowledgment Rick and John). The code for Simple Bible is open source pretty much. Google GNU GPLv3 for details.

That said, Simple Bible is up to version 0.9.8. By the time we reach 1.0.0 it will be practically plug and play for any book you want to put in there. It would just have to be formatted to our format.

So, to answer your question. Yes it can be adopted by some who has interest. If that person were to wait a little longer the work will be quite "Simple!"
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    thanks for this app. as a recovering addict/alcoholic of 2.5 years, im glad to know that the big book can be found right inside my pocket! it would be nice though, to get the whole thing, as there are plenty of great passages later in the book.

And as far as free hurricaine is concerned, you can laugh all you want, but this is a really good idea.
  7.    #7  
    The problem we have is that the later portions of the book in the third and forth editions _are_ copyright.

We are looking into getting the stories from the first and second edition, but for now, this is the critical material.

Rick
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    The problem we have is that the later portions of the book in the third and forth editions _are_ copyright.

We are looking into getting the stories from the first and second edition, but for now, this is the critical material.

Rick
    i didn't think of that. have you tried contacting world services to find out about maybe getting permission?
    Quote Originally Posted by MRDIMENTED View Post
    Seeing the work you have done on this and the Bible Would it be possible to adapt a version of the California penal code and vehicle code? This would be a huge APP for those involved in law enforcement. Keep up the good work!
    You'll probably want to wait on trying that until we've got a good search function added. After that, it will simply be a matter of dropping in the text (but probably marking the various sections with some kind of division info).
    -- John Kiernan
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Thanks for this....Looks very promising. As of right now I have the AA Big Book in pdf format and view it using the PDF View app.

PDF View already has the pg numbers inclucded. Doing so also allows for me to search for particular text [can't always remember the pg number.].

This app would at least need to have that [pg numbers and search capabilities] for someone to switch.

....and maybe also a sobriety/clean time calculator that will tell you how long you been sober/clean for, based on your sobriety date.

Nevertheless, very good work!!!
  11.    #11  
    anyone who would like to help with page numbers, we could use the help.

Search is coming. We're working on it actively. (and will hand the code back to the simple bible people.)

Rick B
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by LTracte View Post
    i didn't think of that. have you tried contacting world services to find out about maybe getting permission?
    World services is -very- protective of the copyright of the big book. Since the 1930's sales of the big book has been the single largest income source for world-services.

The answer is pretty much assured to be "no" as it has been to every other software developer to date.

I see no point. But be my guest. Go right ahead, and if you get a yes, we'll do the work.

Rick
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I have the code for a simple sobriety calculator located here... 8111clubhouse.org
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    I have the code for a simple sobriety calculator located here... 8111clubhouse.org
    Thanks. Working on it now.

Altho, since one of us is AA and one of us is OA we'll probebly use the term "abstinent" rather than "sober" since the former applies to all 12-step programs, and addictions
    How about one that when you put in the date of your last drink/use, comes up with the answer: one day? ;-)

-- John Kiernan, 10/17/81
    Quote Originally Posted by free hurricane View Post
    I am sorry, but this app is hilarious.
    I suspect the Book that helps me stay sober now for 12 years now is not hilarious to my kids and to those who love me.

People who are ignorant of a subject should not speak.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by kiernan7 View Post
    How about one that when you put in the date of your last drink/use, comes up with the answer: one day? ;-)

-- John Kiernan, 10/17/81
    OH I LIKE THAT

Let's do that!!!

Rick
    Rick,
    Which Chapters still need formatting? Anything else need formatting? <I> or <B>, etc. (the squigily stuff like my Sponsor calls it:-)
  19.    #19  
    The squiggly stuff is already done.

No one has taken a chapter yet

If you do _any_ of them, it will save me my entire weekend.

PLEASE GO FOR IT and post here when you finish one.

THANK YOU

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post

PLEASE GO FOR IT and post here when you finish one.

Rick
    I just sent you the Forward. (via email) Please make sure it's what you want.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast