Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Dear Wodin -
    There is/was a slight chance you were trying to download exactly when Dieter was posting the new version (1.0.0). Let us know if you try again and it doesn't work.

As to this app, I think we're done here -- barring any reported bugs ("... and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it."),

This was a great learning experience for us, and a chance to "give back that which was so freely given to us."

Barring any unforeseen events, I'll be celebrating my 28th in the middle of next month. Cripes... I'm getting old. But that's an alternative I probably wouldn't have had without the aid of this book.

-- John Kiernan, Los Angeles
    Regarding the NA basic text, it is copyright but can be used/linked to freely. The entirety of NA literature is available for viewing and download in PDF format via NA.org. I think the main reason for that for NA is to protect the integrity of what has been written and approved by the fellowship. I emailed myself a copy of the basic text in PDF format and attempted to open it on my PRE, and it was a very slow and poor experience. I was very dispointed as a few other members have iphones and can read/search/bookmark with no problem.

So, on to the point of this reply/post. Am I missing something with the use of PDF's on my PRE?? I would love to have a similar version of the Basic Text on my phone and intend to find a personal work around to be given away freely/privately.

I applaud your efforts on this and will be contacting NAWS with an open-mind and hope they may allow it. I am fairly certain you are right that they will say No. But we all know about projecting outcomes don't we...
  3.    #83  
    Well, for PERSONAL USE, consider copying the text out of the pdf, producing a straightforward set of html files for each chapter (I can send you a chapter of the Big Book to use as a sample) then, we drop your files into this app, re-name it, and you're all set.

I would be more-than-happy to help you get a working copy for personal use of the NA basic text if you can come up with the text.
    Hey!

I'm just wondering if the Title Bar problem will ever get worked on. It's been this way since I first downloaded this in late October (when I got my Sprint Pre).

Thanks!

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 10/20/2010 at 02:33 PM.
    ^^^ thx for bringing that up, but thx for this app as well.
    Well, I guess this app is never going to get fixed? It's been out like a year now...

Also, it's listed as being GPL'ed. Where's the source for it then so others can fix the thing?

M.
    I would like permission to port this to Android. Would this be OK? Is the source available?
    Quote Originally Posted by andymillermoto View Post
    I would like permission to port this to Android. Would this be OK? Is the source available?

Good luck. The author hasn't yet responded to any questions / bug reports / etc. I've even tried to PM him.

Can you fix the webOS version while you're at it?

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 10/20/2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typos
    UPDATE:

I finally got tired of the look of this app, and the lack of response from the author, and have fixed some parts of it.

As the app page for this application says, and is all over the code itself, this is licensed under the GPL which allows me to go ahead and make source code changes, provided I make those changes available to the author/public. As soon as I can figure out how to get the source code OUT of Ares and into WebOSInternalz git tree, I will do so and release this fixed version.

I am aware there's some spelling errors in the book's pages, and some other parts of the app don't work quite right (scrolling to a specific page is not terribly accurate for instance).

I *AM NOT* a programmer, but, I can read some languages and limp my way through them. I'm learning this Mojo/JSON/etc. as I'm working on this, so if there's other changes that you want to have happen to this app, POST THEM BELOW! I'll do my best to integrate it. Do keep in mind that I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER! I have to reverse engineer everything the original author has done, and try to figure out how to do it differently / better.

EXPECT DELAYS! (but I'll keep people informed of my progress).

I'll get this updated version out there somehow. I'll probably have to change the name of the app so it doesn't conflict with this "original " one. I'm not sure of the legality on that one. Maybe I should run it past Rod when he gets back to AU.

I suppose changing the app's name would be considered a "fork" of the app which happens everyday with open source projects. Maybe I'll just do it that way. I dunno! I'm learning this (making it up!) as I go along.

M.
    How do people feel about "full width" text (HTML justify)?

Personally, I think it's a lot better. I lessened the side margins a bit as well (down to 12px ). I'm sure there's a way to make it an option, but, I kinda thought about just leaving it this way out-of-the-box, though.

I've contacted the author one last time about how to proceed, and I've contacted GSO for exactly what can be put into this.

GSO guy is out until the 29th of November (got an Out of Office reply), and I haven't heard from author.

M.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I like the full width text. I use this app at least once a week.
    Why, exactly, do u need to get GSO involved?
    Quote Originally Posted by xalky View Post
    I like the full width text. I use this app at least once a week.
    Why, exactly, do u need to get GSO involved?

I don't need to, but their reprint policy is a touch on the vague side:

Quote Originally Posted by AA
    Reprint Policy
    Our reprint policy, however, is different from our licensing policy. As stated in The A.A. Service Manual: “Local A.A. publications are permitted to quote a phrase, sentence or brief paragraph excerpted from A.A. literature such as The Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous, the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, The A.A. Service Manual and Conference-approved pamphlets without a prior, written request to do so…, (accompanied by a credit line (that) should read: Reprinted from (name of publication, page number), with permission of A.A. World Services, Inc.)” Non-A.A. individuals and entities may not reprint A.A. copyrighted materials without prior approval granted pursuant to a written request. Please send your request to reprint A.A.W.S. material to ippolicy@aa.org
    (from Alcoholics Anonymous : Intellectual Property Policies )

The Licensing Policy is pretty specific too:

Quote Originally Posted by AA
    “In countries where a General Service Structure exists, the United States/Canada Conference will delegate sole right to publish our Conference-approved literature to the General Service Board of the structure.”

OK, the bit about not using the pages, in full, is quite obvious and specific, but exactly which pages does it apply to? The author here (in the "about" page you can read on the phone) says PORTIONS are OK, to copy and some aren't (mostly the stories that Grapevine owns).

My question to them is exactly what CAN be used, in whole, as local copies on the phone since I don't see a list of can and/or can't be used, as the author suggests exists in the about page.

The other option that I'm looking into is simply making a Big Book "portal" to view the full pages directly from their website. Sure, I could just do it (once I figure out how...), but I thought it was right-er to actually ask them about that since my addict eyes see that loophole they don't mention in their policy...

The nice thing about the "Portal" idea is if that ends up being OK then the Twelve and Twelve could probably be included as well!

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 11/22/2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: typos
  13.    #93  
    THANK you for your work on this program.

If it's ok with you, I will add your name to the base app and post an update to the PreCentral and Palm app catalog feeds.

Thanks again.

Rick
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Good luck. The author hasn't yet responded to any questions / bug reports / etc. I've even tried to PM him.

Can you fix the webOS version while you're at it?

M.
    The author has been largely unavailable for the last seven months, for which he is really sorry.

as to porting.

1) It's GPL 3. Simply follow the GPL 3 license code and go for it.

2) as to source, the FULL SOURCE of the program is contained in the IPK file you can download here from precentral. There is no other source.
  15.    #95  
    Hey!

I'm just wondering if the Title Bar problem will ever get worked on. It's been this way since I first downloaded this in late October (when I got my Sprint Pre).

Thanks!

M.
    The title bar problem is annoying, although I'm happy to see that the community has responded and someone fixed it.

I have not taken time this year to do this, because I just haven't had time, and the only problem was appearance.

I'm really sorry about that.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    THANK you for your work on this program.

If it's ok with you, I will add your name to the base app and post an update to the PreCentral and Palm app catalog feeds.

Thanks again.

Rick

That's totally fine. I'm just a little stumped on how to get the changes into the repo, as I would be only a "contributor" and not the author. Would I just follow the directions that dieter gives out when a person gets dev access and their magic does the rest?

M.

P.S.
    After reading your other reply, the issues were a bit deeper than appearance, but yes, I see your point. All the pixel widths, page scrolls, etc, were all static (and not 100% accurate for conditions other than device "up" - and only a Pre at that). I changed all that stuff to use this.innerHeight (or innerWidth, of course) and did math from there. Everything reorients itself nicely when you landscape the device, and when you have something in the notification area as well. Because all that's "dynamically" done now, this app should now would perfectly on the Pixi's screen too! :-)
  17.    #97  
    have you got an IPK, I'll update it right now.
    I have cut and pasted almost all the recovery lit I could want back from my palmos days. Palmdocs or text or whatever work well in preader. Secure pdfs like some of the big book stuff are annoying. I believe all this stuff should be available. Search long and hard enough you can find most stuff in some form or another. Still I would love to have any of the app ideas above and more for personal use. Please pm me if I can help or if you have stuff to share. Especially a simple basic text would be awesome.
  19.    #99  
    That's totally fine. I'm just a little stumped on how to get the changes into the repo, as I would be only a "contributor" and not the author. Would I just follow the directions that dieter gives out when a person gets dev access and their magic does the rest?

M.
    The problem is that Dieter's Precentral repository does not have a mechanism to support multiple updaters. I'll be happy to update the existing one if you give me an IPK.

I can give you the login to the webos-internals git repository to post there.

Same problem with the Palm app catalog, I can update it, I could give you my developer's login, or you could fork. I would prefer to avoid that, Palm only allows one dev login to update an app.
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    have you got an IPK, I'll update it right now.

It's all in Ares right now. I thought it may have been easier to work on it that way, but it turned out it only saves a couple steps in the "testing it on the device" part...

I'm sure there's a way to get an ipk out of ares. I can DL the .ZIP from there and make an IPK out of that.

M.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast