Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Got it.

THanks for asking. For clarification, page numbers need to go at the TOP of the page in question so that they can be JUMPED TO.

Thanks

Rick
    Last edited by rboatright; 09/11/2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: fix
    Hey Rick,

I'm not sure what you mean by page breaks. I was looking at a couple chapters and I don't see any "page breaks" in them. (I looked at towives, toemployers, intoaction). I tried to find the largest file sizes and work on them. I'm not exactly sure where to put the page number divs. I'm sorry if there's something really obvious I'm missing...
    I checked out the <br> placement in each of those chapters and they seem fine to me.

What exactly do you need?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    What I would like to know is how are you determinining where the page numbers should go???

If you are going to use the real Big Book as a guide for page numbers then how do you handle page breaks that occur in the middle of a sentence?

I think adhereing closely as possible to the big book is critical as some....a lot of folk...myself included....remember passages and their page numbers and would like to use this to locate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    What I would like to know is how are you determinining where the page numbers should go???
    Here's what I did. I’m checking text against a First Edition (Thirteenth Printing, February 1950) got it as a gift a few years back. And I placed "<div class=page> 1 </div>" (without quotes) at the start of the page.
    Followed along with the text and then placed "<BR><BR>
    <div class=page> 2 </div>"
    following the sentence "I personally know scores of cases who were of the type with whom other methods had failed completely." - This follows the structure in the book.
    Also the break between page two and three comes in the middle of a sentence. So it looks like this in the code:
    "we favor hospitalization for
    <BR><BR>
    <div class=page> 3 </div>
    the alcoholic who is very jittery or befogged."
    (again without the quote marks.)

Hope that helps. Also, the spiritual page is done.
    Last edited by JustVin; 09/11/2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: spacing and spelling
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    How much difference between the first 164 of the 4th edition and that of the 1st edition?

I don't think there is a difference, do you?

That book must be worth a few grand!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    That book must be worth a few grand!
    It's PRICELESS to me! :-)

But, now - I've got a problem and I think the softwear guys might want to weigh in. I've numbered the pages as in the 1st edition!

For example The Drs Opinion in the 1st eddition starts on Pg. 1... Each edition after that treats it as XXIII. So in my 1st Edition - A Vision for You ends on Page 179!
    Also some of the page breaks are a bit different which makes the total number of pages longer.
    So maybe I shouldn't use that book for reference?
    The 2nd and 3rd Editions I have (I'm easy to buy gifts for ) follow the 164 pages structure.

If that's the case - I'll have to go back and redo the chapters I've done.
    Oh well - gives me a chance to spend some time with the book!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I just finished 'Working with others' based on the pdf file that I posted above.

I think that pdf page numbering scheme reflects the page numbering scheme in the 4th edition.

idea:: use the first edition text for a section called "Original Manuscript"

I have a Study Edition Big book that has done this and the number scheme is completely diiferent....the font is so small that 2 pgs fit on one. But each paragraph has pagearagraph [ie 92:3] number beside it. I don't think you need to go to this length. Simply putting it in it's own section would suffice. You could even leave out the numbers and just make it searchable.

Finally, this pdf file that I posted above. I opened it in Adobe Acrobat Pro and did a file Save As... and saved it in html format. It has all of the bookmarks, chapter tags, etc. .... but no page numbers.

Is there anyone out there with the knowledge of Adobe Acrobat and how to get it to include page numbers in its' formatting for html file-save operations?????
    I redid The Drs Opinion, Spiritual Experience, Forward to the 1st Edition and Bill's Story
    based on the PDF Drew posted. Anyone working on anything else? Trying not to duplicate efforts.

It's funny, I've had the 1st edition for 3 years and never noticed the difference in page count. ( try not to open that one much) Another thing in that version, Dr Silkworths name DOESN'T appear. It just says "----- M.D."
  9.    #29  
    the 164 page page numbers are invarient from 2nd through 4th editions, so we HAVE to use them.

Page numbers that happend in the middle of sentences or in the middle of WORDS -- well, that's where they happen. On the chapters I've done, I insert the hyphen on the word on the previous page, insert the page number, and let the word continue on the next page

Really, I don't think we have a choice. Everyone KNOWS that the promises start at the bottom of page 83.

That's why the page numbers have been invarient for almost 60 years.

We have a technique to do search worked out and will be doing that
    but we NEED the page numbers inserted. So please if anyone can help, we would appriciate it a lot. Just go grab a chapter, insert the page numbers, and send it to me. and post a note here about which ones you have done so that I can update the scoreboard at the top message.

Rick
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey Rick,

I'm not sure what you mean by page breaks. I was looking at a couple chapters and I don't see any "page breaks" in them. (I looked at towives, toemployers, intoaction). I tried to find the largest file sizes and work on them. I'm not exactly sure where to put the page number divs. I'm sorry if there's something really obvious I'm missing...
    I checked out the <br> placement in each of those chapters and they seem fine to me.

What exactly do you need?
    we need you to take the download, and a copy of the big book and INSERT the div's for page numbers.

If you don't own one, a link to a PDF copy is in a message above.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    the 164 page page numbers are invarient from 2nd through 4th editions, so we HAVE to use them.
    Will send the redone chapters to you in a bit.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    So that I am on the same page [pun intended]....we're using the pdf version's numbering scheme right???

...and so far we have these chapters done?

• Drs Opinion
      Spiritual Experience
      Forward to the 1st Ed.
      Bills Story
      Working with others
      To Wives [edit: DONE]
      To Employers [edit: DONE]
      The Family Afterward [edit: DONE]
      There is a Solution [edit: DONE]
      We Agnostics [edit: DONE]

If that is a Yes, and a Yes!!!

Then I am going to start working on .... [edit] Done for tonight....

Still left to do....

• A Vision for You
      Drs Nightmare
      How It Works
      Into Action
      More About Alcoholism
    Last edited by drewp; 09/12/2009 at 01:36 AM.
    we're using the pdf version's numbering scheme right???
    ...and so far we have these chapters done?

• billsstory.html DONE by JustVin
      drsnightmare.html DONE by RickB
      drsopinion.html DONE by JustVin
      foreword.html DONE by JustVin
      spiritual.html DONE by JustVin
      thereis.html DONE by RickB
      workingwithothers.html DONE by DrewP
      towives.html IN Progress By DrewP
    Yes to the numbering scheme.
    Updated the list. Rick, I'll send files now.
    Guys, I'm done for the night. Be back in the AM to pick another.
  14.    #34  
    DrewP Yes and Yes

and drewP don't forget to EMAIL ME THE CHAPTERS YOU HAVE DONE

Rick
  15.    #35  
    ok first message updated.

THANK YOU GUYS

New version of the app going up in a bit.

Rick
  16.    #36  
    0.0.3 uploaded with pagenumbers search for those pages we HAVE pagenumbers for.

Your help appriciated...
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Just upgraded.

Kooks nice.

Two things...

1.) when you open the app do you wqnt it to open to the last page viewed by the user, or to the front of the book? My preference would be the front of the book and it's not that way now. Your decision, tho.

2.) When you perform a search it only searches the current chapter. I would think you would want it to search the whole book.
    Anyone thinking about taking on the paginating of the chapters, DON'T! We've got them done and we'll have a fully paginated version (with page search) up by late tonight or tomorrow (Sunday).

We should also have full text search done soon as well.

We're almost ready to release a non-beta version!

-- John Kiernan, VocShop
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    double check the page numbering in the Drs Opinion. There are 3 roman numeral 21s & 4 roman numeral 2fs.

Also, There is a Solution starts on pg 17 but the pull down menu to select a page in the chapter starts at pg 18.
    Thanks Drew! I caught the problem (none of the first pages of the chapters were getting listed!) and also the Dr. Opinion numbering problem as well! I've fixed both of them and sent them to Rick. He's going to work on the search tonight and then we're essentially there.

Feel free to post any fussy bit things you find.

-- John Kiernan
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast