Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    the first line that says 'Keyring database:'. When exporting on the Pre, the clipboard includes that line
    Doh! I completely forgot that I put that in there. Sigh.

This whole clipboard thing is a terrible hack, and the only reason I wrote it was that I couldn't (and still can't) find a way to write local data to /media/internal. I use the URL method, so of course I don't pay as much attention to the clipboard solution.

OK, I'm going to go add the code to strip leading and trailing junk off the data before trying to parse it. That should make it more robust, though I'm sure someone will have a signature that includes a closing curly brace, just to confuse things. Look for yet another release today or tomorrow.
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I see the problem people are having with the import function. I was able to recreate it this morning by trying to import a backup I made on my Pre recently. Got the same error. Then I took a look at the files I had been successfully importing while working on the conversion utility and noticed that the file on my PC does not include the first line that says 'Keyring database:'.
    That did it. I stripped off the "Keyring database:" line, saved it as a text file and was able to successfully import it into my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    This whole clipboard thing is a terrible hack, and the only reason I wrote it was that I couldn't (and still can't) find a way to write local data to /media/internal.
    I prefer that method over saving it to the Pre as a text file and then importing. I don't like hooking up my Pre via USB because of the cheap and flimsy USB cover, I don't want the cover to eventually break off, mainly for aesthetic reasons.

I suppose I could try copying the encrypted data from the email, saving it as a memo on the Pre, edit the memo (delete everything outside the brackets), then copy everything back to the clipboard and try importing that way, but since you have a fix forthcoming, I won't have to try that at this time.

I use the URL method, so of course I don't pay as much attention to the clipboard solution.
    I'm a novice at website building so even though I have my own domain and I have the python cgi you wrote, I'm a bit clueless how to incorporate it at this time. I always used FTP in the past so I'll have to educate myself a bit before I can use your URL method.

OK, I'm going to go add the code to strip leading and trailing junk off the data before trying to parse it.
    Looking forward to it!
    Hi Krid,

Either you got the right files, but didn't copy them to the right place, or you got the wrong files.
    Thanks a lot for your help. The place was right, but - whyever - the files were wrong. The java-export works! :-)

The import in keyring works, too! :-))

I tumbled over "File path, relative to media partition", because I entered

"internal/grb.json"

but you obviously thought of "/media/internal" as the media partition. When I entered "grb.json" as file path, the import worked!

You a a heroe! keyring is a must have! I can put my Tungsten away!

So long
    Peter
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    OK, 0.1.2 is out, and I think I've fixed the importer. Not only was my original understanding of the bug wrong, but the fix in 0.1.1 was incomplete, and wouldn't have worked even if I was right.

You can now hand the importer anything that unambiguously contains import data, and it will do The Right Thing. If you have extra curly braces outside the Keyring data, you'll probably confuse Keyring, but that's fairly unlikely, and a lot easier to explain than the previous finicky system. Why I didn't do this in the first place is another matter -- this sort of thing is why programmers shouldn't write programs for non-programmers...

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

OK, 0.1.2 is out, and I think I've fixed the importer.
    Works like a champ....great job!!

Question...as we add more information to keyring and then export the backup via email, will the size of the email cause issues later?

If so, would it be possible to somehow zip the encrypted contents, email them and then if restore is needed, import the zipped file, unzip and restore?

Just a thought for future development, I don't know if WebOS currently has zip/unzip capabilities although I would think that it would/should at some point.
    One other suggestion....

Have you considered adding a donate link to your sig, or at least accept donations somehow? I'm sure some folks would have no problem donating something for this great app!
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Works like a champ....great job!!
    Thanks.

Question...as we add more information to keyring and then export the backup via email, will the size of the email cause issues later?
    If so, would it be possible to somehow zip the encrypted contents, email them and then if restore is needed, import the zipped file, unzip and restore?
    I don't think the size of the email will be a problem, since people regularly mail multi-megabyte pictures. Currently my personal export file is 47K, for 133 items, so we've got a ways to go there. However, I think it's likely that we may run into a problem with the size of the clipboard. Palm probably thinks (and codes) in terms of text manipulation, and text that sane people might generate on a phone. Maybe there's a hard limit on clipboard size? Dunno, but we might find out...

There's currently no support for zip files in webOS, but there are a lot of folks who want it, so I expect it will show up someday soon. However, that won't help a lot, because encrypted data doesn't compress very much (it's basically random). Furthermore, you couldn't copy-n-paste zipped data, so it would have to be saved to the media partition, etc., which is more stuff that webOS doesn't support.

Have you considered adding a donate link to your sig, or at least accept donations somehow?
    I accept donations of code, but I'm not interested in making money off of Keyring. I've got a day job that provides plenty of that, and I've noticed that people tend to act demanding and entitled once you start accepting money for something. I'm doing this for fun, and I'd like to keep it that way. That said, I plan on featuring Keyring prominently on my resume, so this is not 100% altruistic.

I don't think the size of the email will be a problem, since people regularly mail multi-megabyte pictures. Currently my personal export file is 47K, for 133 items, so we've got a ways to go there. However, I think it's likely that we may run into a problem with the size of the clipboard.
    Yes, I can see where that would be a problem. Well, I guess that bridge can be crossed when we come to it.

There's currently no support for zip files in webOS, but there are a lot of folks who want it, so I expect it will show up someday soon. However, that won't help a lot, because encrypted data doesn't compress very much (it's basically random).
    Ah yes...that makes sense, completely random data doesn't allow for much compression, I didn't think that through.

I accept donations of code, but I'm not interested in making money off of Keyring.
    That's cool, just wanted to let you know that people do appreciate your work in helping to fill a badly needed app for the Pre. The fact that it's free is just icing on the cake!
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    A Spanish speaking windows user is emailing me with questions about running the converter. After two round trips I think I've gotten him on the right track, but I suspect he's going to hit more roadblocks (using the command line, getting the full-strength crypto files installed, etc.), and I'm just not going to be able to help him, since I haven't "done windows" in about eight years.

Would one of you kind souls be able to write up some instructions on making the converter sit up and bark on Windows? Either post them in the forum, or send me an email (keyring@otisbean.com), and I'll add them to the Keyring webpage.

Thanks.

A Spanish speaking windows user is emailing me with questions about running the converter.

Would one of you kind souls be able to write up some instructions on making the converter sit up and bark on Windows?
    I'm not sure I understand the request, are we talking about getting the keyring app to install on the Pre?
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    I'm not sure I understand the request, are we talking about getting the keyring app to install on the Pre?
    I'm talking about a version of these instructions (including the bit on the JCE files) that written up for a windows user. Bonus points for screenshots.

I'm talking about a version of these instructions (including the bit on the JCE files) that written up for a windows user. Bonus points for screenshots.
    That's probably out of my league at the moment, I currently don't have a PalmOS device. Hopefully someone in these forums will be able to lend a hand.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    that's going to be a paid app
    Two weeks ago I sent an e-mail to SplashData support asking whether it was developing a Splash ID for the Pre. No response as of yet.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    We already had communiaction by mail and you pointed out to check the forum. You let me know that I have to run java -jar keyring-converter.jar /path/to/Keys-Gtkr.pdb /path/to/output-file.json - but that was the "little" thing that I did not understood from your instructions. Than I typed CMD in Run and get a black screen. Sorry but I am not familiar with this. Can somebody explain me how can I download the converter to move all my passwords from a pdb file to Keyring.
    Thanks in advance
    Minor bug:

Categories don't appear to be saved in the database. When I was testing the restore via clipboard function, I got my data back but all the categories fields were missing, everything goes back to "Unfiled." This may have been due to the fact that I had deleted Keyring and re-installed at one point.
    Got all my data within an comma seperated text file and I'm currently at a loss with the way to get these data into Keyring.

Which format should the import file have?

regards
    Frank :-)
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Categories don't appear to be saved in the database. When I was testing the restore via clipboard function, I got my data back but all the categories fields were missing, everything goes back to "Unfiled.
    Sigh. You'd think that at some point we'd run out of bugs, but no, they just keep coming. I'm starting to question my abilities. I'll see if I can figure out where I dropped the ball on this, and get yet another release out tonight.

I really appreciate your collective patience and forbearance. I know you didn't sign up to be my "automated test suite", but until I find the time and motivation to actually code up such a beast, that's what we're stuck with. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by wovvbagger View Post
    Got all my data within an comma seperated text file and I'm currently at a loss with the way to get these data into Keyring.

Which format should the import file have?

regards
    Frank :-)
    I am working on the importer for CSV format files. I have a basic version working, but it cannot currently handle certain aspects Microsoft's non-standard CSV format yet. I hope to have a more robust version ready in a day or so as I have time to work on it. It will take a CSV file with column labels in the first line to identify the fields (more detailed instructions will be provided with the working program).
    Sigh. You'd think that at some point we'd run out of bugs, but no, they just keep coming. I'm starting to question my abilities. I'll see if I can figure out where I dropped the ball on this, and get yet another release out tonight.
    Dude...don't beat yourself up. You've done great work. It's not a critical bug in my opinion, I just ran across it and thought I'd mention it.

I really appreciate your collective patience and forbearance. I know you didn't sign up to be my "automated test suite", but until I find the time and motivation to actually code up such a beast, that's what we're stuck with. Sorry.
    No hurry...we know you have a "real life" and a great looking wife too! (Saw the wedding pics! ) Work and family takes priority over stuff here, so don't sweat it. Keyring is still a great app just the way it is.
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast