Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Krid, sent you a PM this morning regarding extending the import utility.
    I finally turned on email notifications of PMs, so I won't miss them any more.

I thought I had discovered an import bug, but it turns out that there are entries with duplicate card names in my CodeWallet export file.
    The title of an item is the "primary key" in Keyring (it's actually just a hash), so you can't have duplicates. The java code should throw an exception, or at least issue a stern warning, when it sees a duplicate.

Does Keyring write out an error log when importing that I could check out to confirm this?
    Nope. There's some minimal logging available if you turn it on via framework_config.json, but that's really only practical if you've got a full development setup. In some future version I might get crafty with the logging, but there's nothing now. Your best bet is to look at the source of the import method: app/models/ring.js at master from krid's keyring - GitHub
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
    Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    The title of an item is the "primary key" in Keyring (it's actually just a hash), so you can't have duplicates. The java code should throw an exception, or at least issue a stern warning, when it sees a duplicate.
    Ok, that confirms my theory. I need to re-check which ones are missing, because I can only think of 4 that would have been treated as duplicate, which leaves 2 I didn't account for yet. I had 50 entries converted, but only 44 imported.

Edit: It turns out I only had 47 entries in my CodeWallet file. An extra blank line at the end of each folder was causing my code to add the last entry twice, which created 3 extra duplicates. Now I just have to add a hashtable to detect duplicates and warn the user about them.

No problem on the PM, I don't usually notice them right away either.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/23/2009 at 01:40 PM.
    This is nice. Subscribing.
    This is a great app. I was debating which password manager app to try...went with this one first and see no need to check out any others.

The encrypted backup via email is a really nice feature. Great work!
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Hello, I can use your help, first of all great app, first one I tried of it's kind on the pre and don't see the need for any other. I just updated to web os 1.3.5, since it fixes the app limit and migrates all apps into the main partition of the phone instead of the old place which was limited in size I deleted all my homebrew apps to reinstall after the updated as recommended by the update article here on precentral, I exported the database to an email which I sent to myslf , when I reistalled keyring and tried to import the databse I used the select all command from the email then proceeded to import fom the clipboard, put in my password which was the same for the version I deleted and the new on and I got thi messasage " unable to parse data syntax error string %0 is not valid JSON, can you help?
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jacosta19 View Post
    when I reistalled keyring and tried to import the databse I used the select all command from the email then proceeded to import fom the clipboard
    It's impossible to test "import from clipboard" on the emulator, and, as it turns out, a royal pain to test it on the phone. This means that it didn't get tested and, surprise surprise, it's borked.

All is not lost for you, however. Take the exported data, put it in a file on your media partition (call it "keyring", to keep things simple), and import from there. When it asks for the filename, enter "keyring" (or whatever you called it), without any path (as opposed to "/media/internal/keyring").

I'll see what I can do to fix the clipboard import. Thanks for reporting the bug.

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

I'll see what I can do to fix the clipboard import. Thanks for reporting the bug.
    Bummer about the clipboard import feature. Hopefully you can fix it.

I have another question about exporting data. I see there is an option to export to a URL. Is it possible to add FTP to this? I tried exporting to an FTP URL but it failed because the feature automatically puts http:// in front of whatever you type in. I'm wondering if you added a choice between http and ftp if it would work?

For example, I have an account at DriveHQ.com and was trying to export my data to that site via FTP.

How exactly does the URL export work?

Thanks!
    It's impossible to test "import from clipboard" on the emulator, and, as it turns out, a royal pain to test it on the phone. This means that it didn't get tested and, surprise surprise, it's borked.

All is not lost for you, however. Take the exported data, put it in a file on your media partition (call it "keyring", to keep things simple), and import from there. When it asks for the filename, enter "keyring" (or whatever you called it), without any path (as opposed to "/media/internal/keyring").

Is this bug new with 1.3.5? I have been using clipboard import when importing my converted CodeWallet files with no issues, but I haven't done it since I updated to 1.3.5.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Bummer about the clipboard import feature. Hopefully you can fix it.
    I think I've figured it out. Looks like the email app puts linebreaks in really long lines every ~1000 chars (maybe this started in 1.3.5?). Since the paste input only takes one line, this means that whatever is after the imposed linebreak is dropped. I think I can fix this without a lot of trouble. Guess I'll have to delay the release I was planning for today...

You can get around the problem for now by pasting from the email into a memo, deleting the linebreaks, copying that, then pasting into Keyring. But unless you've got a small import, it'd be simpler to go the usb/file route. I have a feeling that the paste method is always going to be troublesome; I can imagine that Palm doesn't expect people to cut-n-paste large blocks of text on the phone, so there may be other strange limits we'll run into...

I have another question about exporting data. I see there is an option to export to a URL. Is it possible to add FTP to this?
    I suppose it's theoretically possible, but it's not really practical right now. There's no native support for FTP upload in the webOS API, so it would require writing an FTP protocol library in Javascript, which would be about as much fun as eating gravel. Sorry.

Since I own my domain, I do all my backup & restore via the URL method, which works like a champ. I have half-formed plans to build a Google App Engine service to do Keyring backup for everyone, but that won't happen for a few months at least. Until then y'all will have to limp along, or find a way to install the cgi on a host somewhere.

I'll have another look at the possibility of exporting directly to a file on the usb partition. Maybe one of the 1.3.x APIs supports that now...

Since I own my domain, I do all my backup & restore via the URL method, which works like a champ.
    I have my own domain but recently downgraded to just an email package only. I may upgrade to web hosting again and try out the URL method.

Sorry for the FTP question, I just noticed that I had already asked about it early in the thread but forget about it.
    Since I own my domain, I do all my backup & restore via the URL method, which works like a champ.
    So how do you backup to your own domain via the URL method? I used to use FTP to backup to my own domain.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    So how do you backup to your own domain via the URL method?
    Keyring supports export to URL as well as clipboard. Check the help page, and check my site (Keyring for webOS) for a python cgi you can use on the receiving end.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    thanks for the response, I may not be as advanced as some of your guys out there but how do you put a file on the media partition? I connected the phone and got it to charge as a usb and looked inside made a folder called keyring but it would not let me paste the database from the e-mail I sent myself, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jacosta19 View Post
    thanks for the response, I may not be as advanced as some of your guys out there but how do you put a file on the media partition? I connected the phone and got it to charge as a usb and looked inside made a folder called keyring but it would not let me paste the database from the e-mail I sent myself, thanks
    Although I haven't tried it myself, I think you need to paste the encrypted data into something like notepad and then save the text file as keyring.txt.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    I just rolled out release 0.1.1, which fixes all the bugs reported since 0.1.0. Much thanks to jacosta19, ASprintGuy, notcalvin and jhhutchinson for reporting bugs, and to everyone else who has downloaded and tested. Go grab the new release, and see if there's anything else wrong with it.

I made a change to the "first run" code with this release, so I'd appreciate it if a couple of you could back up your data, delete Keyring, install a fresh copy, and let me know if it works smoothly. Or you could try clearing the database with the "factory reset" option, which hits some of the same code paths.

Also, I discovered that my lack of git skills meant that a few important changes hadn't been committed. I did something (that I still don't fully understand) which un-wedged this situation, and now I'm pretty sure that github has the right code. So if you've downloaded or forked from there, you'll want to pull the latest.

I just rolled out release 0.1.1, which fixes all the bugs reported since 0.1.0.
    I made a change to the "first run" code with this release, so I'd appreciate it if a couple of you could back up your data, delete Keyring, install a fresh copy, and let me know if it works smoothly. Or you could try clearing the database with the "factory reset" option, which hits some of the same code paths.
    The import from clipboard function still isn't working. Here's what I did:

Updated Keyring via Preware to version 0.1.1
    Exported Database to Clipboard
    Copied to email and sent email to my email address
    Used "Clear Database" function
    Went to my "sent" email, selected all, copied to clipboard
    Tried to Import from Clipboard, pasted copied data in the "paste import data here" field
    Entered password for imported data
    Got the following error message:

Error
    Unable to parse data; syntaxError:
    String '%0' is not valid JSON

Edit:
    Seems like the "import from file" workaround isn't working for me either. I get the same error. Here are the steps I took:
    Copied encrypted data from email, pasted into a text editor and saved as keyring.txt
    Hooked up Pre to PC, saved keyring.txt to /media/internal
    Deleted keyring app, redownloaded and tried importing file by just typing keyring.

I got the same error as the clipboard import.

Now, I did all this using Ubuntu, one thing I noticed, when I hooked up my Pre, it bogged down my system pretty badly, things were moving very slowy, not sure why.

When I get more time later today, I'll boot into WinXP and try the file import from there.

Edit2:
    Ok...this time I tried it from WinXP. Here are the steps I took:
    Copied encrypted text from email and saved it as keyring.txt
    Hooked up Pre to PC, copied keyring.txt file to /media/internal
    Opened Keyring app, tried to import file by just typing keyring

Unable to read data from "/keyring":

Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong but so far I cannot restore any backup data to Keyring.
    Last edited by Trekker; 01/02/2010 at 09:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    The import from clipboard function still isn't working.
    Aargh. Well, I did ask for bug reports...

Went to my "sent" email, selected all, copied to clipboard
    Tried to Import from Clipboard, pasted copied data in the "paste import data here" field
    If you paste in anything except import data and whitespace it will choke. Check and see if there's a signature at the end of the email, that may be causing the problem.

If this turns out to be the problem, I'm going to add some code that tries to strip out everything except the import data, and do another release. Since there's no easy way to select part of an email on the phone, I suspect that there will be a lot of problems with signatures and the like.

Ok...this time I tried it from WinXP. Here are the steps I took:
    Copied encrypted text from email and saved it as keyring.txt
    Hooked up Pre to PC, copied keyring.txt file to /media/internal
    Opened Keyring app, tried to import file by just typing keyring
    Unable to read data from "/keyring":
    If the file on the phone is 'keyring.txt', then that's what you need to type into the filename input.

Hi Krid,

I'm looking forward to keyring for webos. Very nice work!

I have problems with importing the keyring from palmos with your actual keyring-converter.jar

Code:
     java -jar keyring-converter.jar Keys-Gtkr.pdb grb.json
    Enter password for pdb (input) file: 
    Enter password for json (output) file: 
    Horrible error: InvalidKeyException: Illegal key size
    You (probably) need to install the "Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy" files.  Go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp, download them, and follow the instructions.
    java.security.GeneralSecurityException: InvalidKeyException: Illegal key size
    You (probably) need to install the "Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy" files.  Go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp, download them, and follow the instructions.
    	at com.otisbean.keyring.Ring.<init>(Ring.java:113)
    	at com.otisbean.keyring.GnuKeyringConverter.export(GnuKeyringConverter.java:57)
    	at com.otisbean.keyring.GnuKeyringConverter.main(GnuKeyringConverter.java:105)
    Code:
    java -version
    java version "1.6.0_15"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)
    I copied the security-files to the security-directory:

Code:
     /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.15/jre/lib/security:
      insgesamt 24
      drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 2009-12-05 19:27 .
      drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4096 2009-12-05 19:27 ..
    [..]
      -rw-r--r--  1 root root  132 2009-07-03 01:32 javaws.policy
      -rw-r--r--  1 root root 2940 2009-07-03 01:07 local_policy.jar
      -rw-r--r--  1 root root 2469 2009-07-03 01:07 US_export_policy.jar
    This is under Linux Ubuntu 9.10. The same error under windows xp.

Is this because I'm not from USA? What's wrong with me?

Thanks for reading.
    Peter
    Aargh. Well, I did ask for bug reports...

If you paste in anything except import data and whitespace it will choke. Check and see if there's a signature at the end of the email, that may be causing the problem.

If this turns out to be the problem, I'm going to add some code that tries to strip out everything except the import data, and do another release. Since there's no easy way to select part of an email on the phone, I suspect that there will be a lot of problems with signatures and the like.

If the file on the phone is 'keyring.txt', then that's what you need to type into the filename input.
    I see the problem people are having with the import function. I was able to recreate it this morning by trying to import a backup I made on my Pre recently. Got the same error. Then I took a look at the files I had been successfully importing while working on the conversion utility and noticed that the file on my PC does not include the first line that says 'Keyring database:'. When exporting on the Pre, the clipboard includes that line, and that is throwing off the import. I deleted that line from my note the backup was stored in and did another select all + copy, and then it successfully imported the data. If you add the code you mentioned, it should resolve the issue. I started to say just look for that first line, but what you said is better, in case people modify the first line or add a line to their note (like I did) to include the date of the backup.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/02/2010 at 11:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpreter View Post
    I copied the security-files to the security-directory:
    Code:
     /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.15/jre/lib/security:
      -rw-r--r--  1 root root  132 2009-07-03 01:32 javaws.policy
      -rw-r--r--  1 root root 2940 2009-07-03 01:07 local_policy.jar
      -rw-r--r--  1 root root 2469 2009-07-03 01:07 US_export_policy.jar
    Is this because I'm not from USA? What's wrong with me?
    There's nothing wrong with you, but there is something wrong with your security files. Those look to be the same as the stock ones that ship with Ubuntu. You want these:

Code:
    $ md5sum jce_policy-6.zip
    b20f9d6ed14e55d73a5ed204bca01e7a  jce_policy-6.zip

$ unzip -l jce_policy-6.zip 
    Archive:  jce_policy-6.zip
      Length      Date    Time    Name
    ---------  ---------- -----   ----
            0  2006-11-16 18:10   jce/
         2663  2006-11-16 18:10   jce/COPYRIGHT.html
         8386  2006-11-16 18:10   jce/README.txt
         2465  2006-11-16 18:10   jce/US_export_policy.jar
         2481  2006-11-16 18:10   jce/local_policy.jar
    ---------                     -------
        15995                     5 files
    Either you got the right files, but didn't copy them to the right place, or you got the wrong files. Check and see if there's been a mistake somewhere.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast