Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    krid,
    Does your import functionality actually work? I'm trying to import my PalmOS Keyring database with no avail.
    My database has been previously converted in csv format.
    Thank you in advance for your reply ... and for your work.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phil71 View Post
    Does your import functionality actually work? I'm trying to import my PalmOS Keyring database with no avail.
    Import certainly works, but it only imports the format that Keyring for webOS exports. It's going to look at the PalmOS format and throw up its hands in defeat.

I'm working on a java utility to convert the PalmOS format to the webOS format, but I'm blocked until I get some clarification from the folks at Palm about how their crypto library works (see this thread). It's unlikely that I'll be supporting direct CSV import soon, since CSV is a very ill-defined format.

Thank you in advance for your reply ... and for your work.
    You're welcome. Sorry I don't have the importer done yet. At the moment I'm working on category support.
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
    krid,

Regarding import, maybe this would be helpful...

There is a mature GPL package called KeePass that will do all kinds of import (including csv) at:
    keepass.info

There is this on a converter from Palm OS to KeePass (I think) at
    Plugins - KeePass

This looks like a similar project that maybe is on haitus:
    Rob Vonk - KeePass to Keyring converter

Maybe a route for import to KeyRing would be would be:
    1) import to KeePass (from PalmOS app or csv or spreadsheet or whatever)
    2) export from KeePass in format 'X'
    3) import to KeyRing

Just trying to be helpful, what you've done already is really great, thanks.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    krid:

Finally took the plunge and bought my Pre over the weekend, since Best Buy was selling them at an insane discount (walked out of the store with the Pre and a Touchstone+back for ~$120).

I've been keeping up with this thread as it progresses, and since it sounds like you're working on categories, I guess you've got your test suite finished up. I wanted to ask where on the request list encrypted notes sits. If I'm really lucky, it might be next after categories?

Cheers!
    hi krid,

I've been entering my info w cut and paste from a memo on my phone & it is going pretty well bcse of the 'note' section at bottom of each entry. Paste all the info there and then type it in manually.

just a heads up on a possible bug: if an entry starts w a capital letter, the auto filter won't find it because there is no way to make the first letter in the autofilter a capital. Maybe the filter could be case insensitive?
    it works fine.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notcalvin View Post
    I've been entering my info w cut and paste from a memo on my phone & it is going pretty well bcse of the 'note' section at bottom of each entry. Paste all the info there and then type it in manually.
    That's a good idea.

just a heads up on a possible bug: if an entry starts w a capital letter, the auto filter won't find it because there is no way to make the first letter in the autofilter a capital.
    Yeah, I noticed that a while ago -- the fix will be in the next version (which will hopefully come out in a week or two). In the mean time, you can make the first letter capital: hold down the shift key and then press the letter key.

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

"hold down the shift key and then press the letter key."

Well, lookie there!!

Thanks again for your app!
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    wanted to ask where on the request list encrypted notes sits
    The next version will include the option to hide empty fields. Thus, if you don't fill in the username, password, url and category fields, you'll have almost the whole screen free for the notes area.

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    krid:

Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    The next version will include the option to hide empty fields. Thus, if you don't fill in the username, password, url and category fields, you'll have almost the whole screen free for the notes area.
    Excellent, I don't know why I hadn't thought of using it that way before now. I can start working on putting things in now. Thanks!

Now if I could only figure out how to get these notes into the Pre in a way I could copy/paste...Evernote to the rescue, I guess.

One other feature request now that I'm actually using this - would it be possible to add a "custom" or "manual" sort by option?
    Last edited by kuoirad; 12/03/2009 at 12:40 PM.
    Um, maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot find out how to paste from the clipboard to import data into my second phone! No clipboard shortcuts work and when you go to file, edit, paste, the bottom retracts and you cannot enter into the import field! Help!
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kgeswein View Post
    Um, maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot find out how to paste from the clipboard to import data into my second phone!
    Hold your finger in the gesture area, and hit the "V" key. Same thing works with "C" for copy and "X" for cut. This is a standard webOS thing, but you won't learn it unless you're an obsessive manual reader.

I was wondering if any progress has been made with Keyring, especially with categories.

Also, would you be interested in any help coding?
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faberfedor View Post
    I was wondering if any progress has been made with Keyring, especially with categories.
    The coding for categories is about 90% done; I'm hoping to finish that and get through testing and such this weekend.

Also, would you be interested in any help coding?
    I'm moderately interested, but I warn you, I'm very picky about code quality and architecture. If you're willing to deal with a certain amount of "cranky unix developer", PM me and we'll talk.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    You know, the thing I've always wanted from a password storage application is the ability to take the encrypted data file and be able to use it on my PC, be it windows, linux, or something else. To that end, I'd almost rather have something that used its own database file. I've looked at the format of the Depot and I understand it enough to probably write a small java or perl app to decode the records (using the key).

I might look into this. I just hesitate because this Depot format is a little screwy.

By the way, everybody should know: the username, password, and comment appear to be in the data file encrypted, but the title of the record is in clear text.

If anybody has thoughts on storage let's discuss... I'm open to ideas.
    Last edited by wz2b; 12/14/2009 at 12:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    For fun, I extracted out the encrypted_data elements. They look like they are base64 encoded, so I ran them through base64 -d. The result, though, is too short (not a multiple of the blowfish block size) so I couldn't even attempt to decrypt. Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wz2b View Post
    You know, the thing I've always wanted from a password storage application is the ability to take the encrypted data file and be able to use it on my PC, be it windows, linux, or something else. To that end, I'd almost rather have something that used its own database file. I've looked at the format of the Depot and I understand it enough to probably write a small java or perl app to decode the records (using the key).
    You really don't want to dig into the depot format, it's a frightening hack. In any case, you don't have to, because Keyring has a (relatively) sane import/export format. It's also capable of posting said data to any URL (and will eventually have an automated backup/export feature). On my site I've posted a small python CGI that can receive and serve up the data.

The thing you're missing is the ability to decrypt the data. Unfortunately, I'm missing that too. Turns out that the underlying Mojo.model.encrypt & decrypt library calls aren't sufficiently documented, so you can't decrypt the data anywhere but on the phone. I'm waiting on more details from my contact at Palm. You can follow the drama on their forum here: Forums webOS - View topic - Mojo.Model.encrypt and Mojo.Model.decrypt

Once I get an answer to that question, I'm going to release a small Java app that converts from Keyring for PalmOS to Keyring for webOS. The code is already written, all that's left is the blowfish call. Once that's out, it will be easy to adapt it for other uses.

By the way, everybody should know: the username, password, and comment appear to be in the data file encrypted, but the title of the record is in clear text.
    That's documented in the application's help scene.

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    I just uploaded version 0.1.0, which includes categories and several display improvements. There's also a Java utility to convert from PalmOS Keyring to the new format. Check the first post or the developer page for details on all the changes.

This is the last "feature" version before I submit Keyring to the App Catalog. I'll do one or two more bugfix releases via homebrew, and then it's on to The Show. Assuming the app is accepted, I'll do beta releases here for new features, but it will otherwise live in the Catalog. It will always be free and open source, but I want to hit the wider audience that's possible outside of homebrew.

Important: This is the last release that will support upgrading from the initial 0.0.1/0.0.2 database format. I doubt anyone is still running those, but if you are, now's the time to make the leap.

So, pull down a copy, give it a good workout, and let me know about any bugs, large or small. I want to have a good first Catalog release. You can post here, PM me, or send email to keyring@otisbean.com.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback and your patience.

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    krid: kudos, and thanks!

I do plan on looking into custom sorting/ordering as we discussed, now that I'm on vacation for a couple weeks. It's nice having a job that shuts down for the week(s) around Christmas and New Year's.
    Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    I just uploaded version 0.1.0, which includes categories and several display improvements. There's also a Java utility to convert from PalmOS Keyring to the new format.
    This is great news! I just tried the converter but get this error:

Code:
     $ java -jar keyring-converter.jar Keys-Gtkr.pdb output-file.json
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/otisbean/GnuKeyringConverter
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.otisbean.GnuKeyringConverter
    	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
    	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
    	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:320)
    Could not find the main class: com.otisbean.GnuKeyringConverter. Program will exit.

$ ls -l /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/security
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   92 2009-07-03 01:09 blacklist
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   32 2009-12-21 08:08 cacerts -> /etc/java-6-sun/security/cacerts
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   36 2009-12-21 08:08 java.policy -> /etc/java-6-sun/security/java.policy
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   38 2009-12-21 08:08 java.security -> /etc/java-6-sun/security/java.security
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  132 2009-07-03 01:32 javaws.policy
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2481 2009-12-21 09:51 local_policy.jar
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2940 2009-07-03 01:07 local_policy.jar.org
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2465 2009-12-21 09:51 US_export_policy.jar
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2469 2009-07-03 01:07 US_export_policy.jar.org
    Running
    Code:
    java version "1.6.0_15"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03)
    on Ubuntu 9.10.

Any ideas?
    Thanks Krid -- Just to be clear, the database format in this version will be the one you use going forward (that is... we can spend our time entering lots of data without needing to start over at some future time?)

...on that note, [EDIT-Nevermind -- Just read on your homepage that the utility does not yet support CSV import -- but that functionality is still noted as a future potential development path] Original question: Does the Java utility have the capability to bring in any other formats (such as Excel?) I'm imaginging, it would be easier to put data into an Excel table rather than starting on the Pre... If so, what would the table headers need to be? For all of the security-concious out there (all of us, I suppose), I wouldn't imagine using Excel except for a quick data entry and transfer.... and then securely deleting that file.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 12/21/2009 at 10:10 AM.
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast