Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    First of all, great work on this. I've never been confident enough to keep my long list of secure passwords and data (credit card #s) in anything but an Encrypted (not just password protected) Excel sheet. I know, this appraoch was probably less secure than many good Palm OS password managment apps, but that's where I started, so I never moved to something more modern. So this is my first take at going mobile with this type of software....

I'm curious about the URL export functionality. I've read the info on the Keyring homepage, and while I'm somewhat technically savvy (enough to manage my own simple hosted web domain), I'm not savvy enough to have my own server or use something along the lines of Python as a tool to accept the URL export file (as you suggest and link to at the home page).

However, I'm still paranoid about data loss (especially without a full offboard backup approach for WebOS and the Pre), so, ideally, I'd love to ftp the export text file to my hosted and password protected ftp file space. I'm presuming, as currently implemented, ftp (login and password protected) isn't possible? Any plans to implement this?

One additional question before I begin to populate the keyring database. How confident are you that future versions of the app will be compatible with legacy Keyring db backup exports by text file (database design changes seeming to be the primary concern -- especially as you consider features such as Categories and additional fields such as credit card #, CID, Expiration dates, nemeric PINs, etc...)? As a test for now, I'm content just putting a few passwords and waiting to fully populate the data until a near-final version. If you're pretty comforable that I'd always be able to restore old exports, then I'll be more aggressive in my use of the app.

Thanks.
    I am on the new version 0.0.6 and I am having an issue with my master password not being recognized. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app but still no luck. I also noticed that when opening Keyring I can see all my entries, as soon as it locks and prompts me for my password the entries are not displayed. I asume this is the new feature that was added but shouldn't it not show them to begin with and not after it locks? Anyone else having this issue? Help Please. By the way, this app is really great. I feel lost without it though.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    There were some ugly bugs in versions 3 & 4 that bit a small (I hope) number of users. The end result is that Keyring claims your password is invalid, and no amount of restarting, reinstalling or upgrading changes that. If this problem started for you in version 3 or 4, I'm afraid that there's nothing I can do for you -- I have a pretty good idea of what was going on under the hood.

If you have a backup, from before the problem started, try clearing your entire db (reset to factory) and importing the backup. Let me know how that works.

If you didn't have this problem before, and it started with the upgrade to version 5/6, please give me a bug report with as much information as you can. I don't think the latest code has this problem, and I need to know ASAP if I'm wrong about that. I need to know what version you were running, what version you upgraded to, and what you and the application did when you encountered the problem.

I'm really sorry about this; I've learned that I need to do more testing, and more thorough testing. Instead of new features, I'm going to spend this coming weekend working on a test suite. Any pointers on automated testing in webOS would be helpful.

Thanks to all of you for sticking with me through this. I really want to make Keyring a solid and reliable app, and having users willing to do beta testing is and important part of that.
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Back up your data frequently!

Make sure you store the backups off the phone. Mail them to yourself, run the cheap CGI I wrote, do whatever you have to do. I can't guarantee that future versions won't have bugs (though I hope they'll have only minor ones), but I'm committed to supporting import of all historical backup formats going forward.

It's not just bugs in Keyring you're protecting yourself against. There are all sorts of bad things that can happen to your phone (you'd hate to lose all your passwords because you dropped your Pre in the toilet).

I've got some great ideas about building a backup service on Google App Engine, and having an automated backup system in the app. But it's going to be at least a few months before that gets off the ground, so in the mean time, y'all are going to have to do it manually.

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

I think I was on verion 4 then went to version 5 and had a similar issue but it resolved itself somehow after a few log-in tries on a span of a week or so. I don't have a backup so I guess I'm out of luck. Anyway, should I use QuickInstaller to restore to factory settings at this point?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    If you have a backup, from before the problem started, try clearing your entire db (reset to factory) and importing the backup. Let me know how that works.
    What's the best way to remove the program to start afresh? I used Preware to remove then reinstall Keyring, and my old db showed up (and I had the same invalid password error).

I promise I'll backup from now on!
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edhkim View Post
    What's the best way to remove the program to start afresh? I used Preware to remove then reinstall Keyring, and my old db showed up (and I had the same invalid password error).
    Hmmm. You need to delete the depot database. I've never used Preware, so I'm not sure what that does. I used `palm-install --delete` (part of the SDK) once, and it deleted the db. What happens if you delete by orange-tapping on the app in the launcher, and then reinstall? I'm sure there's some Palm-blessed way to delete an app *and* all its data, and I thought that was the way. If not, some research is in order.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I did two things, so I'm not sure which one worked, but this time, 1) instead of using the Remove command in Preware, I used the orange button-delete method through the normal Launcher and 2) reset the phone before reinstalling.

Now works great. Thanks for your hard work, and as promised, I've backed up the database. Look forward to new features, even though it does all that I need it (or want it) to do.
    I also deleted Keyring using the orange button delete method through the normal Launcher and worked for me as well. I didn't reset my phone before reinstalling. One quick question, is there an option to seperate personal and business passwords? Excellent work Krid.
    awesome app. It is very much needed.

Small issue. I recently had to wipe my pre clean and webosdoctor it. Before I did that, I exported the database to clipboard and then emailed it to myself. When I reloaded the app, I put in the same master password, and pasted the email content into the field. I left the password field blank since it said "Password (if different from current)". It wouldn't work, it gave me the error:
    Code:
    Error
    Unable to parse decrypted data;
    SyntaxError: Unexpected token }
    I thought I was pwned, but I tried it again by actually putting in the password and to my relief it worked.

Again, small small issue. This app is excellent and is very useful to me. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it is laid out and the security measures it implemented. If I had any other gripes, it would be to make the icon nicer!
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    awesome app. It is very much needed.
    Thanks!

I left the password field blank since it said "Password (if different from current)". It wouldn't work, it gave me the error
    I thought I was pwned, but I tried it again by actually putting in the password and to my relief it worked.
    This isn't quite a bug, it's just really bad UI. The import system is perfectly clear to me, but only because I'm the developer; I never looked at it from the user's perspective. Thanks very much for pointing it out, I'll clean it up on the next release.

If I had any other gripes, it would be to make the icon nicer!
    That's high on my list too. That icon is at the limit of my graphical abilities. I've got a lead on someone who should be able to help me make things look nicer.

I was doing some graphics for my game and was testing it when I saw your app's icon again. I threw this together. It definitely isn't anything fancy. Feel free to use it if you want but if you don't, trust me I won't be hurt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I just played around with the latest Keyring version and the import/export function in the hope to find a way to import my KeePass data. I tried to decrypt the db part of the exported data with "openssl bf -d" but had no luck.

Would it be possible to add a function that imports plain-text and CSV formated data into Keyring? That way we could export our KeePass data and import it to Keyring.

Or maybe the other way round: make a converter from CSV -> Keyring. Is there a description of the Keyring format anywhere (besides the source?)
    [QUOTE=Olodin;2004943]I just played around with the latest Keyring version and the import/export function in the hope to find a way to import my [url= data. I tried to decrypt the db part of the exported data with "openssl bf -d" but had no luck.

Would it be possible to add a function that imports plain-text and CSV formated data into Keyring? That way we could export our KeePass data and import it to Keyring.

Or maybe the other way round: make a converter from CSV -> Keyring. Is there a description of the Keyring format anywhere (besides the source?)[/QUOTE]

That's exactly the way i would like to use it
    Back up your data frequently!

Make sure you store the backups off the phone. Mail them to yourself, run the cheap CGI I wrote, do whatever you have to do.
    Although I haven't used this app yet, I was looking for something like this. Since the data is encrypted, would it be possible to add an FTP function where we could back up our data OTA to an FTP site?

Maybe we could have options to do an auto backup (configurable) or manually.

Just a thought.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Sorry I've been incommunicado lately; the day-job and my social calendar conspired to take over my life. I'm hoping to get some time to work on Keyring in the next few days.

CSV Import:
    My current plan is to build a small java app that will convert plain CSV and Keyring for PalmOS data into the current json import/export format. I was going to implement direct reading of CSV, but that's complicated by the fact that there is no actual standard for CSV -- everything that emits it does so differently, and writing a parser that can handle all the different quoting mechanisms and embedded newlines is a nightmare. Furthermore, if I teach Keyring to read CSV, it would require that you get your password data from your computer to your phone in cleartext, which is pretty unsafe.

The Keyring for PalmOS folks already have a java app that converts from pdb to CSV, so I'm going to extend that to fit my needs. It'll be a self-contained command-line utility that only requires a JVM.

FTP for backup:
    It's unlikely that I'd be able to implement this -- I don't think there's any simple way to PUT a file to an FTP server short of talking FTP protocol over a socket, which would be a lot of coding. If someone can point me to a javascript library that does this, or show me how to use xmlhttprequest to do it, I'll give it a try. I did some googling, and nothing came up.

Stay tuned...

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    I was doing some graphics for my game and was testing it when I saw your app's icon again. I threw this together. It definitely isn't anything fancy. Feel free to use it if you want but if you don't, trust me I won't be hurt
    I really appreciate the effort, but I'm going to decline. I want to go with a more subdued, monochrome look. Something that looks stodgy, safe, and secure. Password storage is, after all, a pretty boring subject

Sorry I've been incommunicado lately; the day-job and my social calendar conspired to take over my life. I'm hoping to get some time to work on Keyring in the next few days.

CSV Import:
    My current plan is to build a small java app that will convert plain CSV and Keyring for PalmOS data into the current json import/export format. I was going to implement direct reading of CSV, but that's complicated by the fact that there is no actual standard for CSV -- everything that emits it does so differently, and writing a parser that can handle all the different quoting mechanisms and embedded newlines is a nightmare. Furthermore, if I teach Keyring to read CSV, it would require that you get your password data from your computer to your phone in cleartext, which is pretty unsafe.

The Keyring for PalmOS folks already have a java app that converts from pdb to CSV, so I'm going to extend that to fit my needs. It'll be a self-contained command-line utility that only requires a JVM.

Stay tuned...
    This sounds very good! If you have come up with a java app and need testing: here's a volunteer.

Another question:
    will it be possible to have multiple and separate keyring databases on a device? If currently have one file for private passwords and one file for my office and those must be kept separated of course.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olodin View Post
    This sounds very good! If you have come up with a java app and need testing: here's a volunteer.
    Sigh, the code is almost ready for testing, but I ran into a big old snag. The Mojo API I'm using for encryption is a black box, and I need someone from Palm to tell me what it's doing. I've been talking with someone there, and we're making some progress, but until there's resolution on that front, I won't be able to get the importer working. See all the drama here:

Forums webOS - View topic - Mojo.Model.encrypt and Mojo.Model.decrypt

will it be possible to have multiple and separate keyring databases on a device
    Maybe someday, but not this year... I'm going to be doing categories Real Soon Now, so if that will be enough for you, great. Otherwise, well, you could use Keyring for personal stuff, and SplashID for work. Sorry.

Sigh, the code is almost ready for testing, but I ran into a big old snag. The Mojo API I'm using for encryption is a black box, and I need someone from Palm to tell me what it's doing. I've been talking with someone there, and we're making some progress, but until there's resolution on that front, I won't be able to get the importer working. See all the drama here:

Forums webOS - View topic - Mojo.Model.encrypt and Mojo.Model.decrypt
    Thats bad. And I don't really like the idea of relying on a undocumented API to protect my passwords. Hopefully the devs at Palm did their job well, better they provide some details soon.

Other question:
    Since an import from CSV data already has everything in cleartext, can't you create the required format unencrypted (the db part) and encrypt it on the device? Use the java app only to convert it to the required format?

Maybe someday, but not this year... I'm going to be doing categories Real Soon Now, so if that will be enough for you, great. Otherwise, well, you could use Keyring for personal stuff, and SplashID for work. Sorry.
    Well, if import of KeePass data works, having one database on the Pre would be 100% better than now . Take your time!
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast