Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I had a lot of passwords in Keyring on my old phone. After reading all 18 pages of the thread, I did not find out how a person is to add a text file (that contains the exported encrypted data from keyring) into the usb partition? In USB mode, I do not see the /media folder.

I have a replacement phone and I need to import a boatload of passwords to it. BTW, I had used SaveRestore to save everything from my prior phone. Upon running it on my new phone nothing was restored. Hmmm... Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolioDD View Post
    I have a replacement phone and I need to import a boatload of passwords to it. BTW, I had used SaveRestore to save everything from my prior phone. Upon running it on my new phone nothing was restored. Hmmm... Any ideas?
    My guess is that you did not copy your old USB partition to your new phone?

SaveRestore backs up your application data to the USB partition, then, before you nuke your old phone, you have to go into USB mode and copy your USB drive to your computer. Then, when you copy your USB partition to your new phone, all your SaveRestore data comes along. Then, when you run SaveRestore on your new phone, it will show you that it has data backed up for your apps, and you can restore keyring data.

That is what I did to move my keyring data to a new phone, and it worked great.

To help you more I'd need to know if you backed up your data in any way besides SaveRestore. Here is a link on how to use SaveRestore: Backing up your application data/settings with Save/Restore (Homebrew) | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community Note that there is a specific instruction not to install SaveRestore with webOS Quick Install.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolioDD View Post
    I had a lot of passwords in Keyring on my old phone. After reading all 18 pages of the thread, I did not find out how a person is to add a text file (that contains the exported encrypted data from keyring) into the usb partition? In USB mode, I do not see the /media folder.

You won't see /media when you have it in USB drive mode - the root folder you see on your PC will be /media/internal (i.e. E:\ if your phone as assigned drive E: on a Windows machine). That is where you need to copy the file. If you used save/restore to back up your data from your old phone, copy the saverestore folder from the old phone to the root of your new phone, then save/restore should be able to restore the data.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notcalvin View Post
    To help you more I'd need to know if you backed up your data in any way besides SaveRestore. Here is a link on how to use SaveRestore: Backing up your application data/settings with Save/Restore (Homebrew) | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community Note that there is a specific instruction not to install SaveRestore with webOS Quick Install.
    SUCCESS!!

I used SyncToy to back up my old Pre and loaded up my new Pre by reversing the process from my PC. Still, Save/Restore would not work. [sidebar: Keyring's import function is a whole 'nother story. Sorry Krid. I do love the program though.] After reading the Save/Restore link (thank you very much), I deleted Save/Restore from my phone and this time I reinstalled it using Preware. I seem to remember having a little difficulty at first finding the program in Preware so I loaded it via QuickInstall not knowing it could potentially bomb.

The developers at Internalz are the bomb. Save/Restore is awesome.
    Wow, the WOSQI thing was just a wild guess, glad it worked out.

When I picked keyring way back when it was because it was 1) open source and 2) it could be backed up simply (copy/paste into email). If I had it to do over, I'd have also 3) tested restoring it and 4) tested converting it to ascii or csv.

BUT, because of '1' I figured I couldn't go too wrong, and because of webos-internals and saveRestore, when the time came to it was easy to switch phones.

Cheers!
    Any chance of adding a Pronounceable Password Generator as an option when generating passwords? I saw this WebOS Tutorial for a PPG and thought it would be an awesome feature to incorporate into Keyring. The linked tutorial has all the code, so I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to add. (Of course, I'm no developer, so what do I know?)
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    No updates in over a year. Is this abandonware?
    It is GPL. The original author is no longer making updates, and no one else is either.

But the user-base has not abandoned it at this point anyway.

It works fine, I'm using it, but one thing you will want to make sure you understand clearly is how to get your data out of the app for some day in the future. (There is a tool for that, but it is an offline sort of thing, and not trivial.)

Other than that, its a nice app that works quite well.
    I really like keyring. I really wish it had:
    - Full text search
    - Tags instead of categories

Don't have any experience with webos development but I guess I can help with the desktop client.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Its great used it since the beginning, not perfect but some things can be simple but very effective like this app. Previously I used the palmos version on my centro. Note also you can save the data and read it on your pc when you need to, using the java program on the keyring website.
    For anyone who's interested, I've created an idk file that will allow this to run full-screen on the Touchpad. I didn't make any other changes. There is one screen (create new categories) that doesn't have a back button and since there is no back-swipe, you have to close and re-start after you add new categories. There's an article up here on Precentral about how to fix that, but I haven't had time to do it yet and that screen doesn't get used much anyway.

http://www.zumodrive.com/files#item=502514747
    cthetford,

Have you thought about submitting your update to preware? It seems to me like a good idea, perhaps with just a comment in the install page about the backswipe issue.

Well done!
    I thought about it, but I'm not quite sure how to submit stuff for preware.. Do you have a link? I assume it's somewhere in the WebOS internals stuff, but I didn't see anything obvious on the Wiki.
    Apparently it happens through precentral (most easily). This thread seems to have some detailed info.

I think you might need to change the app-id as well as the app name for various reasons. For example, it may be that preware will overwrite the original keyring with your keyring if you leave the appid the same.

I recall hearing one about someone had an app in preware, then released a better version in to the app catalog, and people that installed both were kind of hosed up. The app ID for this app is com.otisbean.keyring. You might want to change the appID and the app name to maybe com.cthetford.keyringHDhomebrew and the app name to "keyring HD" or something? That way, if you decide to take the software farther, you could submit it to the app catalog, for example, as com.cthetford.keyringHD, etc etc...

Another option would be krid, the original author - he was a really nice guy, you might just try to send an email to his precentral account, and see if he wants to submit it for you?

Just some thoughts, trying to be helpful to pay forward the free software luv.
    Before uploading it you should try to contact the krid (original author) and give him the patches, etc..

Contact details:
    Keyring for webOS

Beside that also try a direct message here at precentral.
    Juergen
    I have tried running the command line to convert my Codewallet Pro 2006 file to .json format and it works but it is only giving me a few line of my notes. Is there some way to expand the amount of notes that are converted?
    Thanks
    Rob
    Searched through the forum and found no answers to this question:

I am switching to a new platform (inevitably), Android in this case, and want to port my data over in order to Import for a similar app. Has anyone found a solution for this?

The encrypted db cannot be read by other apps. If this is not possible, then I guess it's brute force time. With as many records and notes as I have, this will take days.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Searched through the forum and found no answers to this question:

I am switching to a new platform (inevitably), Android in this case, and want to port my data over in order to Import for a similar app. Has anyone found a solution for this?

The encrypted db cannot be read by other apps. If this is not possible, then I guess it's brute force time. With as many records and notes as I have, this will take days.
    Good news, it is possible, by coincidence I just did it yesterday.

This is a link to the download http://otisbean.com/keyring/keyring-ui-2.0a.jar

The instuctions are at this link Keyring for webOS
    Scroll down to where it says "Desktop Client" and start there. I did the GUI version. Note that the command line example he gives is incorrect - the java app is named keyring-ui.jar in the example, but the download link is to a file named keyring-ui-2.0a.jar, so you will need to make that correction.
    Last edited by notcalvin; 01/11/2012 at 09:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpracing View Post
    I have tried running the command line to convert my Codewallet Pro 2006 file to .json format and it works but it is only giving me a few line of my notes. Is there some way to expand the amount of notes that are converted?
    Thanks
    Rob
    No idea, but I would bet not - I'd imagine that there is a filed length limit on the .json / sqlite3 side of things? The only thing I can think of to make life simpler for you is to copy the entries that are long into two entries, one with the first half of the notes and one with the second half? Or get an sms addict 2 convert all 2 sms abbv txt & save spce...
    Quote Originally Posted by rpracing View Post
    Thanks
    Rob
    I forgot to reply to this. As long as the converter does not have an issue with the format of your file, anything not targeted to a specific field in Keyring will get added to the end of the notes field. If you have specific issues and would like me to look at it, hit me up via PM.

Since I only developed the converters and not the app itself, I do not know if there are field length limitations, but it would not surprise me if there is. I can poke around and see if I find anything.