Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CESantos View Post
    "Initalized the apps database AND added any entries?" I have not done both. I see nothing about initializing the database. I have put in two Categories and one entry. Btw, I'm trying this on the emulator first. Should that make a difference? I expect not because it appeared to work for Memos and Messaging.

Edit: I cleared the database and put in two entries, one in each category. I still get the same error on Save.
    Ah, the emulator. Yes, I've seen that happen before on the emulator. For some reason, it doesn't create the /var/palm/data/Databases.db file which says where the database lives for each app.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CESantos View Post
    I've downloaded those files to a directory [...] I don't see a file called "keyring-ui.jar"
    It looks like Windows has "helpfully" unzipped the .jar file into an unrunnable directory full of java class files. Thank you Microsoft.

To avoid more problems like this, I did some research, and found a handy package called launch4j, which turns a jar file into a windows executable. So now you've got something that's simple to run. If you don't have java installed, it will fire up a web browser and take you to the java download page (though the cryptography stuff is still a roaring pain).

The beta release will have an icon and a splash screen and be a bit more application-like.

And, while I'm at it, thanks for this great app!
    You're welcome. Glad it's making you happy.
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
    Hey krid --

I finally had some free time at work today to move my pw files from an encrypted Excel to Keyring. I used the Windows version of the converter and an Excel-csv file exported from excel.

A few comments for you (fully understanding the meaning of ALPHA here, but just feedback / bugs to report --- I've seen very few...):

1. No error / warning of duplicate "titles" on import (and I assume title is a database record key.) I easily noticed that my counts were off and fixed my dupes to have unique titles... no issue really. I only figured the import would catch dupes because I think keyring on the Pre does this.

2. In the desktop app, the categories were mismatched (but I'm not exactly sure of the algorithm to figure out why...). All of the appropriate entries stayed together. For example: Citibank Card, Chase Card, and Dell Financial Services card all were mapped to "Insurance Companies" category rather than "Credit Card". Similarly... all Insurance Company records were mapped to "Travel" category, etc... One grouping of records were mapped to "Unfiled" rather than the category I had them in. Clearly, this is some form of mis-mapping offset+1 bug...

This held both when I selected the category drop down on the left side as well as when I would have ALL categories shown and clicking on Citibank. The category showed "Insurance Companies." However...

3a. Exporting the desktop .json file to a CSV file reflected the correct categories.
    3b. More importantly... Saving the .json file.... putting it on my pre.... and importing it to Keyring resulted in the correct Category mapping.

So clearly the issue is in the desktop client and is only an error in display and not in the actual data import or database itself.

4. Finally, (and I'm sure it's elsewhere in the thread).... on the Pre keyring app, it would be nice if the category list was sorted alphabetically or could be manually ordered by the user. I'm not exactly sure of its current ordering.

I'll keep working at this now that I have my old data in Keyring.

Let me know if I can help debug based on my import file. It's about 85 records and 12 categories so it wouldn't be hard to edit the passwords and personal information out so you can see if you can reproduce and debug.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    A few comments for you (fully understanding the meaning of ALPHA here, but just feedback / bugs to report
    Thanks, feedback and bug reports are always welcome.

1. No error / warning of duplicate "titles" on import (and I assume title is a database record key.)
    Oy, yes, that's a definite problem. I filed a bug, but I need some input on how to resolve duplicates:

* Throw an error and refuse to import anything?

* Skip the second occurrence, and report the titles of skipped records?

* Automatically append a string to disambiguate (dot one, dot two, etc.)?

2. In the desktop app, the categories were mismatched
    Known issue, fixed in top of tree.

4. on the Pre keyring app, it would be nice if the category list was sorted alphabetically
    Fixed in top of tree (sorry it took so long).

I'm going to be submitting the next version to the app catalog over the weekend. It will have a couple small bugfixes, and German & Mexican Spanish translations. More news in a few days...

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

Thanks for the quick response. I was away for a long weekend. Is the known issues list somewhere? I had gone to the site you use to track bugs for Keyring, but I didn't notice a bug tracker for the desktop alpha (only mentioning it because I didn't want to report Alpha bugs that were know... and I didn't see any of other comments here on the desktop app)

I'm a really big fan of this app.

One more question... what does "...fixed in top of tree" mean? I'm slightly confused...
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Is the known issues list somewhere?
    It's on github as well, but I never posted a link to it. I just updated my signature with links to the various sites, downloads and bug trackers.

That said, I haven't really started filing bugs on the desktop client, since at this point it's more bug than feature (at least to me). If you want to see what I'm planning on doing, have a look at the TODO file in git.

One more question... what does "...fixed in top of tree" mean?
    That's a term from my old job that means that a fix for the bug has been committed to source control, but hasn't yet been released. It's somewhat more common to say "fixed in head", but unless you're a developer, neither term would mean much.

Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    ...That said, I haven't really started filing bugs on the desktop client, since at this point it's more bug than feature (at least to me). If you want to see what I'm planning on doing, have a look at the TODO file in git.
    Thanks krid. As far as i'm concerned it was good enough for me to covert my .xls file into .json for on-the-pre access and editing. (once I got past the fact that the 'categories' SEEMED to map over incorrectly -- when viewing from the desktop). I look forward to the continued development.

No problem on the developer lingo. Last time I 'programmed', not counting some Access or Excel VBVBVB &$amp$; $advanced$ $macros$, $was$ $in$ $1990$ $Fortran$ $as$ $a$ $U$ $of$ $Michigan$ $EE$ $freshman$!!!
    Oy, yes, that's a definite problem. I filed a bug, but I need some input on how to resolve duplicates:

* Throw an error and refuse to import anything?

* Skip the second occurrence, and report the titles of skipped records?

* Automatically append a string to disambiguate (dot one, dot two, etc.)
    I'd say Append .x to disambiguate. In my cases, all were legit entries (for other family members' passports, drivers license #s, and online accounts, etc..). Debugging to find out why 89 entries in XLS turned into 85 in Keyring would have been a (small) pain. Once in Keyring (on Pre or on PC), it'd be easy to see the .1, .2, .3 files.... and either consolidate, delete, or rename accordingly.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I hate to be lame, but I haven't yet got the desktop GUI to import any Keepass 1.x (csv) files. Always fails with warnings about invalid key size and Java JCE security. I tried installing the security stuff on my Win 7-64bit laptop, but no luck getting the GUI to run. Sorry to just complain...
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    I hate to be lame, but I haven't yet got the desktop GUI to import any Keepass 1.x (csv) files. Always fails with warnings about invalid key size and Java JCE security. I tried installing the security stuff on my Win 7-64bit laptop, but no luck getting the GUI to run.
    I'm beginning to hate Sun for the damnfool way they set up the security stuff...

How did you install the security stuff? You need to copy the files into the Java install that you're using to run the GUI. Try this: search for a file named "local_policy.jar". You should find one in a directory whose path ends in "jre\lib\security". Copy the local_policy.jar and US_export_policy.jar files you downloaded into that directory. Overwrite your existing copy of those files with the Unlimited Strength versions.

If you've got more than one Java install, do this for each one. If they're different versions, you'll need to download the policy files appropriate to each version.

In the next version of the GUI I'm going to try to simplify this process a bit.

Is the unlimited strength encryption only needed for the PalmOS KeyRing import, or is it also needed to create the encrypted JSON data? It is definitely a hindrance to average-Joe user.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Is the unlimited strength encryption only needed for the PalmOS KeyRing import, or is it also needed to create the encrypted JSON data?
    It's required for everything, unfortunately.

It is definitely a hindrance to average-Joe user.
    You're telling me! Man, I hate the stupid US export laws. You can download the Bouncy Castle crypto libraries anywhere in the world (because they're hosted outside the US), but if I include them in a compiled app and post it on my site, suddenly I'm a criminal, because I'm "providing crypto to terrorists". Ludicrous on the face of it, but it's the law.

I'm going to beef up the error message to make it easier for the user to know where to install the files, and put in better instructions, but it's never going to be a great experience as long as we're stuck with the JCE stuff.

Interestingly, it's legal to distribute sources that use strong crypto, so if the project takes off, I'm going to switch to a different crypto API that doesn't use JCE, and get someone outside the US to build and host the binaries. That should simplify things for the end user.

It's required for everything, unfortunately.

You're telling me! Man, I hate the stupid US export laws. You can download the Bouncy Castle crypto libraries anywhere in the world (because they're hosted outside the US), but if I include them in a compiled app and post it on my site, suddenly I'm a criminal, because I'm "providing crypto to terrorists". Ludicrous on the face of it, but it's the law.

I'm going to beef up the error message to make it easier for the user to know where to install the files, and put in better instructions, but it's never going to be a great experience as long as we're stuck with the JCE stuff.

Interestingly, it's legal to distribute sources that use strong crypto, so if the project takes off, I'm going to switch to a different crypto API that doesn't use JCE, and get someone outside the US to build and host the binaries. That should simplify things for the end user.
    It's funny that you should post that -- I was going to, but I could not remember the specifics, so I decided not to.
    First, thanks for a brilliant app !

I'm an old user of YAPS on Palm OS. I foolishly asumed that the data was backed up over the air, and started to move entries from YAPS over to Key Ring.

Then, my Pre started to not respond at all to gestures or taps on the screen. No matter what. Restarted the phone etc. Nothing. I could answer calls by sliding it up, but not hang up. I could type with the keyboard and the search function would come up.
    So, I could not go in to dev.mode, or anything - since nothing I tapped on the screen made any difference.

I then just put the phone in USB-mode and ran WebOS doctor. It started, and then stopped and said it couldn't update my phone.
    Funny enough, it restarted when I disconnected it and all of a sudden it responded to taps. It then downloaded my backup over the air - and all homebrew apps were gone. Not the patches and theme though......

But, now all entries in Key Ring was gone.... :-(
    I'll try out the backup feature built in. I frankly didn't even know it existed. I've now read all post in this thread.
    But I think I'll go back to YAPS for a while on Classic - since then there is a file a know I simply can copy from the phone to somewhere else also to backup everything.
    Check out the WebOS Internals Homebrew app called save/restore. Right now, this is still a MANUAL process, but for certain apps (Keyring is included) will actually backup the Keyring data file from the application memory location to your USB drive. Assuming you back up your USB partition every once in a while to your PC, you will then be able to restore that file after Dr'ing and reinstalling Keyring.

To take this one step further, Preware now has a saved package list which you can set with all of your currently installed apps and patches. (I can't remember if it's only Preware Alpha or the current regular (non-alpha) version). This would allow you to reinstall all of your homebrew apps using Preware after a Dr event as well.

I'm not an expert on either of these (nor have I actually needed to try them yet), but if you search first (and then ask around) you should be able to save yourself some trouble the next time something like this would occur.

Good luck
    Check out the WebOS Internals Homebrew app called save/restore. Right now, this is still a MANUAL process, but for certain apps (Keyring is included) will actually backup the Keyring data file from the application memory location to your USB drive. Assuming you back up your USB partition every once in a while to your PC, you will then be able to restore that file after Dr'ing and reinstalling Keyring.

To take this one step further, Preware now has a saved package list which you can set with all of your currently installed apps and patches. (I can't remember if it's only Preware Alpha or the current regular (non-alpha) version). This would allow you to reinstall all of your homebrew apps using Preware after a Dr event as well.
    Well, I would have to first install Preware again with the installer, wouldn't I ? At least if I did a complete erase.
    But, also in any event of a WebOS doctoring I would guess ?

I'm not an expert on either of these (nor have I actually needed to try them yet), but if you search first (and then ask around) you should be able to save yourself some trouble the next time something like this would occur.

Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriq Backlund View Post
    First, thanks for a brilliant app !

I'm an old user of YAPS on Palm OS. I foolishly asumed that the data was backed up over the air, and started to move entries from YAPS over to Key Ring.

Then, my Pre started to not respond at all to gestures or taps on the screen. No matter what. Restarted the phone etc. Nothing. I could answer calls by sliding it up, but not hang up. I could type with the keyboard and the search function would come up.
    So, I could not go in to dev.mode, or anything - since nothing I tapped on the screen made any difference.

I then just put the phone in USB-mode and ran WebOS doctor. It started, and then stopped and said it couldn't update my phone.
    Funny enough, it restarted when I disconnected it and all of a sudden it responded to taps. It then downloaded my backup over the air - and all homebrew apps were gone. Not the patches and theme though......

But, now all entries in Key Ring was gone.... :-(
    I'll try out the backup feature built in. I frankly didn't even know it existed. I've now read all post in this thread.
    But I think I'll go back to YAPS for a while on Classic - since then there is a file a know I simply can copy from the phone to somewhere else also to backup everything.
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, you made a bad assumption. Backup is just as easy in Keyring, it's just a different procedure. Don't give up on KeyRing.
    Thanks !

Have to get my Pre working again first.
    It still won't react to tapping on the display if I unplug it from either charging or USB.
    I've reset it to factory default with a complete delete. Still the same.

Still no respons on the touchscreen - unless.... I plug it in..... :-D. Then it all of a sudden responds.

I've sent a report to the supplier to have it returned.

Will give Key Ring a second go when I get it back.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I appreciate the JCE Security tips. Will try again. Thanks to everyone, and I'm glad it's not just me having troubles!
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Is this app good to run with the AT&T version 1.4.2?