Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    I don't like the idea if it was automatic, but... if a reminder popped up every now and then, and if you opt in, and the program sent the info via cleartext email, that I could look at first, I'd go for it...
    So you trust the guy to create an app to safeguard your personal and sensitive data, but you don't take him at his word if he says he wants to collect anonymous data about the usage of the app?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    So you trust the guy to create an app to safeguard your personal and sensitive data, but you don't take him at his word if he says he wants to collect anonymous data about the usage of the app?
    Sorry that a few of you have a problem with my opinion. I'm an IT guy, which means that I always have a certain amount of paranoia going. If I'm going to send data somewhere, I want to know what I'm sending.

FWIW, I'm writing this on a Linux box, which gives me some assurance that the code has been vetted by people who are probably more paranoid than I am. Can you say the same when using a a Micro$oft product?

Cheers,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Sorry that a few of you have a problem with my opinion. I'm an IT guy, which means that I always have a certain amount of paranoia going. If I'm going to send data somewhere, I want to know what I'm sending.
    Paranoia can be a good thing but if you don't trust the data that the author is going to send, how can you trust using his app? That's what I don't understand. If he had some devious plan in mind, your data is already compromised.

FWIW, I'm writing this on a Linux box, which gives me some assurance that the code has been vetted by people who are probably more paranoid than I am. Can you say the same when using a a Micro$oft product?
    No, I can't. I currently have a dual boot machine, WinXP and Ubuntu. I've been using Ubuntu since version 7.x and really like it and hope to completely dump Windows at some point. I go back and forth a lot. Sometimes I'll use Ubuntu during the week and then switch to WinXP on the weekends, just to keep up with updates, sometimes I'll use WinXP during the week and Ubuntu on the weekends. I'm also contemplating purchasing a Macbook Pro.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Paranoia can be a good thing but if you don't trust the data that the author is going to send, how can you trust using his app? That's what I don't understand. If he had some devious plan in mind, your data is already compromised.
    It's not that I don't trust krid. If I didn't, I wouldn't be running his code. But he asked how we'd feel about his app sending data anonymously. I said that I wouldn't mind it going as an email, which would not be anonymous. So I'm giving up anonymity in return for knowing what I'm transmitting to a third party, and to also to have the right to veto it.

No, I can't. I currently have a dual boot machine, WinXP and Ubuntu. I've been using Ubuntu since version 7.x and really like it and hope to completely dump Windows at some point. I go back and forth a lot. Sometimes I'll use Ubuntu during the week and then switch to WinXP on the weekends, just to keep up with updates, sometimes I'll use WinXP during the week and Ubuntu on the weekends. I'm also contemplating purchasing a Macbook Pro.
    I've been using Linux since 1996, starting with Red Hat 5.2. Started with KDE 1.12, with only a minor detour to Gnome during the first couple of 4.x KDE releases. There are a few things I need Windows for, and since I don't feel like (re)booting into Vista, I installed XP in a (Sun) Virtualbox VM. It runs great, at the same time. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions about this.

Regards,
    -JerryG

PS - if you buy an Apple product, make sure you can change the battery....
    Last edited by JerryG; 02/21/2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Add PS
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    First, I like the looks of the app, and I've been looking for a password solution that runs in WebOS and can load my eWallet passwords (I've been very disappointed in their lack of support for WebOS - and the last upgrade broke my connection to PalmOS before I noticed that they were dumping support). Problem now is the converter won't convert my exported data (eWallet v. 7.0.2.27800). It started by converting one of many records, then reported duplicates and didn't convert anything else. I figured out that was because I had copied some cards into notes for following versions, which confused it. Cleaned those up, and now it converts 0 records. I can pull some records and "clean" them if you tell me where to send it. Or if there's something I'm doing wrong, let me know!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alacrify View Post
    First, I like the looks of the app, and I've been looking for a password solution that runs in WebOS and can load my eWallet passwords (I've been very disappointed in their lack of support for WebOS - and the last upgrade broke my connection to PalmOS before I noticed that they were dumping support). Problem now is the converter won't convert my exported data (eWallet v. 7.0.2.27800). It started by converting one of many records, then reported duplicates and didn't convert anything else. I figured out that was because I had copied some cards into notes for following versions, which confused it. Cleaned those up, and now it converts 0 records. I can pull some records and "clean" them if you tell me where to send it. Or if there's something I'm doing wrong, let me know!
    Thanks
    I PM'ed you with my email address to send some scrubbed test files to. Depending on what I see I may ask for some more info. The only file I had to test with when writing the converter was from XP Desktop version 5.02.21698. Curious, is your exported data from the desktop or PalmOS version of eWallet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I PM'ed you with my email address to send some scrubbed test files to. Depending on what I see I may ask for some more info. The only file I had to test with when writing the converter was from XP Desktop version 5.02.21698. Curious, is your exported data from the desktop or PalmOS version of eWallet?
    It's the desktop version - I've been off PalmOS for years (although I was using it in Classic since I didn't have much choice until they obsoleted it). As I said in the email, I'll get you something after work tonight.

Thanks!
    krid, I'm not a big fan of "anonymous" reporting in general. It is really hard to make something secure and it is really hard to make something anonymous. And by the time you have added all the complexity to do both of these, it will be difficult (impossible) for me to have enough visibility to verify that is the case. That being said I think providing you with generic information about how your application gets used by me is a win for everyone. I would like to be able to see what you are tracking, be able to add comments (e.g. ignore this number or that, or that number doesn't look right), and have you be able to ask questions in return if something looks strange. So add me to the would prefer and would be willing to send you an email of usage. I would think twice about clicking a "send anonymous" data button.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    I've finally finished the prep work to ready Keyring for translation/localization. I'm looking for people fluent in French (France and Canada), Spanish (Mexico and Spain) and Italian; I have a volunteer for German already (though if you're interested I'd be happy to have a backup). I'd prefer to work with native speakers, since they have a much better grasp of idiom, and are less likely to introduce unintentionally humorous or rude phrases.

PM or email (keyring at otisbean.com) me if you can help. There are ~160 short strings plus a couple pages of help text that need translation. I've written instructions on the technical bits.

Thanks.
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Krid,

I just want to thank you again for all of your efforts in Keyring. I'm lucky enough to have access to a CGI-capable web server and the online backup is really neat. Any chance you could create a preference to automatically happen in the background?

-alan
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    the online backup is really neat. Any chance you could create a preference to automatically happen in the background?
    That's in my plans. However, since most people don't use the backup-to-URL method, it's not a high priority. I've got some fiendish plans to remedy this, but it'll be a month or so before they have any chance of coming to fruition.

The next release will fix the formatting bug that showed up in 1.4, and make new items auto-save on timeout (since I just got bit by that myself). It will also (hopefully) have a German translation.

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

A quick update for anyone that may have been following this. I've been working on an update to the eWallet export converter. Alan's got a huge eWallet file that is making an excellent testbed due to the sheer number and diversity of records in it. If eWallet continues to make drastic changes to their export format, there are going to end up being separate converters for the different eWallet versions.

Unfortunately, the bonehead that I am, I forgot to pull the newest source from github before I started, so I have to refactor my changes into the new codebase.
    I just realized something (again ). This is more of a problem with webOS apps in general that behave like Palm says to behave... If you accidentally overwrite a value in a field, there is no way to undo it. Since the back gesture automatically saves the record, the only recourse is to retype the original value. In some scenarios, that could be quite a pain. Perhaps a menu item to cancel the current edit?
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    If you accidentally overwrite a value in a field, there is no way to undo it. Since the back gesture automatically saves the record, the only recourse is to retype the original value. In some scenarios, that could be quite a pain. Perhaps a menu item to cancel the current edit?
    It's more complicated than that. The "correct" behavior is to save the item whenever any of the fields change. Believe me, that's the behavior that you want -- otherwise you lose your changes when the lockout timer fires (right now, creating a new item requires an explicit save, and I've been bitten by the timeout several times).

I'll file a feature request for some sort of history. That one's going to take some deep thinking, since it's not clear what should constitute "a single edit" when an item might be saved multiple times in the space of a minute. Furthermore, keeping history around will balloon the database, which will make the app slower and more error prone. An automated full database backup combined with the ability to selectively restore might be a better solution...

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Great software, use it all the time. I have quite some trouble with my phone (not related to Keyring) and want to reinstall to factory settings. By doing so will I loose my passwords or what is the option to get my passwords again after installing Keyring again?
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I created a small Lotus Notes Application for the web backup function of Keyring. To use it you need a Lotus Notes server that has the http task running and that you can access from your Palm Pre.

Put a copy of the attached database onto the server and setup the ACL. You need to keep the anonymous user with Depositor rights, as it will be used to post a new backup to the database. Make sure to restrict the Notes Client access to your user.

To post a new backup enter the following URL in keyring:
    Code:
    https://www.sever-name.xx/keyring.nsf/backup?CreateDocument
    The web restore function is not supported. To restore a backup you need to open in the the Lotus Notes client and copy the data into a new text file. This can then be imported by the file import function in keyring.

Happy hacking
    HaPe

krid: Thank you for making Keyring, this are my two cents. Feel free to redistribute it on you keyring page if you like.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pansovic View Post
    I want to reinstall to factory settings. By doing so will I loose my passwords or what is the option to get my passwords again after installing Keyring again?
    If you need to get back to "factory settings", here's what you should do:

• Export your data. You can export to the clipboard and paste it into a memo, but it's probably better to paste into an email that you send to yourself.
    • Uninstall Keyring.
    • Import your data. Either put a file in the USB partition, or use the clipboard.
    • When you import, make sure you leave the "Import Preferences" option set to "off". If you turn it on, import will use prefs from your exported data.

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    I created a small Lotus Notes Application for the web backup function of Keyring.
    Put a copy of the attached database onto the server
    krid: Thank you for making Keyring, this are my two cents. Feel free to redistribute it on you keyring page if you like.
    Thanks for building this and sharing it. I love it when people make contributions.

Now, I don't want to seem ungrateful, but what you've provided looks to me like an opaque binary (I'm totally unfamiliar with Notes, so maybe I'm wrong here). I suspect that many people would be unwilling to stick this file in their Notes server without a better idea of what it is. Is there a "source" for this, or some vaguely textual format your could post it in that would let people see what they're getting into before they load it?

As an added bonus, if you make this Notes app open source, someone else might enhance it to add a restore function.

If I'm being utterly clueless, and the .nsf file is "source" to anyone using Notes, then that's cool.

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Files with a .nsf extension are Notes databases. They can contain scripts. On a properly configured Notes system, you should be asked if you trust the author of the script, and want to run the script, choosing no/yes (once|always). Come to think of it, maybe nsf stands for Notes Source File?

HTH,
    -Jerry
    I tried the converter today, having just downloaded it, and imported to Keyring 0.2.0 and the date problem still exists. A memo I created today, 3/8, says 4/8 for a date.

Thanks for the great app and the converters! I originally had no idea they were not by the same person as the original Keyring for PalmOS which I've been using for years now.

Also, could we get the icon updated using the SVG that the guy provided earlier? That's about my only gripe with the app at all.