Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    I just got my Verizon Palm Pre+ a week ago...on launch day! Boy...have I been missing out! I've been holding on to my old LG VX8300 since June, on the hopes that Verizon would come through. My business carrier is VZW and that won't change, so since my work mobile has to be VZW...well, I HAD to wait for the Pre! I REALLY need a password manager, and I hope Keyring can be it...but, I need some help. Forgive me if these have been pointed out before, I'll try searching around some more when I have a few minutes (I just used them up!).

I've had three issues with Keyring, and I wonder if someone can help me.

First and most needed...how do you delete a record? This is essential I think. And the reason it is essential to me is because of the second issue. Somehow, I created about 5 copies of the same entry...with various titles. Here's what I think happened.

I entered a title for a new item. It was an acronym. After entering some of the data, I hit save, because I didn't want to risk timing out before losing my new item (see third issue below). Then I decided, I want to spell out the acronym. So I select the record, I edit the title, and I tap within the acronym to start entering extra letters to spell it out. After each word and space, I tap in another portion of the title to enter the extra letters, then a space, then tap at the new spot in the title where I want to enter text, and so on. I never hit save in the midst of all this title editing. After doing all that, I save the record and come out and find about 5 different entries, each with a 'interim' version of the title. It looks like each time I tapped again, the record was saved and a new one was started. What do you think?

The third issue is that if you are in the middle of an entry, and you get distracted (oh, look at that pretty butterfly...it's the color of a rainbow...I saw a rainbow yesterday and wondered if there was a pot of gold at the other end...which is an Irish legend I think...Irish breakfast tea, sounds good this morning, but what is the difference between Irish and English breakfast tea...coach says I've been putting too much english on my overhand serve) and next thing you know, the Pre has timed out in Keyring and you have to re-enter your main password again...and the record you were working on is gone.

So, I see promise with Keyring, but I really am having troubles as you can see...with Keyring...I hope you can't see all the troubles I am having in general!

Thanks for any help out there!
    Swipe to delete an entry, it's the standard way of deleting something in WebOS. Except in the videos app, where you can't delete anything. (without a patch that is..) I suspect the introduction of video recording will change that.

The second issue is really bizarre, have not experience that, but I haven't done much editing of titles. The third one sounds like one krid is already aware of.
    Cool! You know, it is a favorite ploy of mine...act dumb, so someone will take pity on you and kindly answer your question...OK, so I'm not acting!

I used to learn something every day, now with the Palm Pre, I get to learn many things every day...I guess that's what having a true multi-tasking phone is all about!

Now I'm going to search this thread more carefully, because I would like to transfer records from my Tapwave Zodiac where I was using YAPS...password export feature limited by 4kb memo size...I got too many records!
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Somehow, I created about 5 copies of the same entry...with various titles. Here's what I think happened.
    I entered a title for a new item. It was an acronym. After entering some of the data, I hit save, because I didn't want to risk timing out before losing my new item (see third issue below). Then I decided, I want to spell out the acronym. So I select the record, I edit the title, and I tap within the acronym to start entering extra letters to spell it out. After each word and space, I tap in another portion of the title to enter the extra letters [...] It looks like each time I tapped again, the record was saved and a new one was started.
    Damn, now that's a good one. I confirmed it on the emulator. It happens because every time you tap in the field it generates an event, which triggers the save-record call. I need to tighten up the event listener so it only triggers on blur and the like. I filed a bug for this. Thanks for submitting a good bug report.

The third issue is that if you are in the middle of an entry, and you get distracted [...] and next thing you know, the Pre has timed out in Keyring and you have to re-enter your main password again...and the record you were working on is gone.
    That's a known bug, which will be fixed in the next release (probably in two weeks, given my schedule). You can see the list of bugs here:

Issues - krid/keyring - GitHub
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
    Just read that the keyring-converter.jar now supports .csv and gave it a try with a Keepass export: after 10min and leaving out url+notes fields I finally can read my Keepass data on my Palm Pre.

Wooohooo, this makes my digital life easier (again).

Many thanks to krid and Grabber5.0!!!

-a german Pre user
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olodin View Post
    after 10min and leaving out url+notes fields I finally can read my Keepass data on my Palm Pre.
    Why did you leave out the url/notes fields? Is there a problem when trying to convert them?

I'm glad it's working out for you. Thanks for the feedback.

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

Quote Originally Posted by Olodin View Post
    Just read that the keyring-converter.jar now supports .csv and gave it a try with a Keepass export: after 10min and leaving out url+notes fields I finally can read my Keepass data on my Palm Pre.

Wooohooo, this makes my digital life easier (again).

Many thanks to krid and Grabber5.0!!!

-a german Pre user
    Was there a problem trying to convert it with the url and notes fields, or did the wording in the instructions make you think you could not include them? I have been a little worried that the wording might confuse some people. If there was a problem, please send me a PM so I can investigate the issue.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/07/2010 at 08:50 PM.
    It wasn't the instructions. Those are good

Got some error messages with the urls+notes, but I suspect it is because of some line feeds (and/or <cr>) in the original export, so I left it out.

I'll have a look again at it when I try to convert some other keepass exports.
    This looks like just the tool I've been looking/hoping for. And I think I just saved myself some embarrassing questions by reading all the forum. (I was going to ask about desktop support and export to csv or other formats, both of which sound like they are in the works, YAY)

One question I haven't been able to figure out an answer for, is how do I include multiple line notes in the csv format? Is there a special character, or do I just put the note inside some delimiter like quotes that lets me include newlines?
    Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by bill4212 View Post
    One question I haven't been able to figure out an answer for, is how do I include multiple line notes in the csv format? Is there a special character, or do I just put the note inside some delimiter like quotes that lets me include newlines?
    Bill
    The easiest way to do multi-line notes is to create the file in Excel. Pressing ALT+Enter in a cell will add a newline. If you don't have Excel, and you are creating it in a text editor, enclose the entire note in double quotes, with the starting quote on the same line as the preceding fields, and any fields following the note on the same line as the closing quote for the note. I have a sample file I created in Excel I can send you if you want. Now that I think about it, I can't remember for sure if I tested multi-line notes in a standard CSV file (as opposed an Excel-formatted CSV file... yes they have their OWN format ). I am pretty sure it would be formatted the same way, but I will report back with my findings.

I just noticed the bit about having double quotes in fields is not on the instruction page. If you export the CSV from Excel, it will handle them for you. If you create it manually, you must preced the embedded quotes with a \ character, and enclose the entire note in double quotes. See the example file below.

Edit: Confirmed, multi-line notes work the same for both CSV formats. If it doesn't get garbled, here is a sample file in standard CSV format:

Name,account,Note,URL,Password
    Multiline note,system,"1 line
    2 line
    3 line",http://systemname/console,pwd
    Normal entry,system2,a note,http://newurl,diffpwd
    blank note,system3,,http://newurl,yadpwd
    blank url,system4,"no \"URL\" and embedded quotes",,badpwd

That looks like it came through intact.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/11/2010 at 01:30 PM.
    And let me answer my own question. Putting multiple line notes inside of quotes seems to work great. Now to edit all my data that I exported from PalmOS SplashID and have mobile access to it again.
    Thanks -- Bill
    Grabber. Thanks for the quick and more in depth reply, I forgot to refresh the forum, and apparently need to figure out how to follow a thread to get email updates. I will use you advice and use Excel to edit my data.
    Great set of tools. Thanks again -- Bill
    Hi,
    I am trying to get the import from Palm OS.
    When I import I get the security error.
    When I download and run .jar security files I get an error (can't install).
    Questions:
    1. I have another.jar utility which can extract the info into a .csv format so why does your import .jar need the security upgrade?
    2. Can I use the modified .csv files to import into WebOS Keyring? If so what format should I use in the .csv file?
    Thanks
    xdreduardx, I just had to install the security files and it was a pain. There is a README.txt file in the zip you get from Sun that tells you what to do. Basically there are 2 jar files already installed on your system (with the same names) that you need to find, and replace them with the 2 jar files in the zip file. The import .jar needs the security upgrade because it is encrypting the information that you have in your .csv file. The webos program won't read the .csv file directly, you need to use the converter.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    This looks like just the tool I've been looking/hoping for. And I think I just saved myself some embarrassing questions by reading all the forum. (I was going to ask about desktop support and export to csv or other formats, both of which sound like they are in the works, YAY)
    Yup, all that and more. I resigned from my job on Monday, and starting next week I'll be devoting myself to Keyring full time. Well, part time, since I plan on doing a lot of bicycling and some household projects as well. But I'll be doing a lot of work on Keyring, and probably on a few other webOS projects. Expect to hear from me more often for the next couple of months.

I think I hit a small bug when I just imported my data. Had 213 items, and after the import I was only able to scroll through the end of the "D" entries (about 50 entries). I switched to another category and then back to "ALL" and now I can see everything. Had me worried for a minute there. But now I am happy.
    Bill
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    I think I hit a small bug when I just imported my data. Had 213 items, and after the import I was only able to scroll through the end of the "D" entries (about 50 entries). I switched to another category and then back to "ALL" and now I can see everything.
    Hmmm, I thought I fixed that bug. What version of Keyring are you using (check the "About Keyring..." menu)? I wonder if this is a special case of the bug that I didn't catch the first time. I filed an issue for this on github, and I'll have a look next week. Thanks for the bug report.

Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    Hmmm, I thought I fixed that bug. What version of Keyring are you using (check the "About Keyring..." menu)? I wonder if this is a special case of the bug that I didn't catch the first time. I filed an issue for this on github, and I'll have a look next week. Thanks for the bug report.
    I'm using 0.2.0 and have a similar behavior when I edit the Title of an entry. I can then only see the first 50 entries of whatever category I have selected. Again when I switch to another category and back it is all fine again. Should I be adding this info on github? I haven't looked there at all yet, I just installed the app through the Preware installer.
    Bill
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Yup, all that and more. I resigned from my job on Monday, and starting next week I'll be devoting myself to Keyring full time. Well, part time, since I plan on doing a lot of bicycling and some household projects as well. But I'll be doing a lot of work on Keyring, and probably on a few other webOS projects. Expect to hear from me more often for the next couple of months.
    Best of luck in your new endeavors!

Cheers,

-JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Wow. Are you planning on going back to work full time or focus on independent development?