Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 451
Like Tree7Likes
  1. hape's Avatar
    Posts
    556 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Thanks for the offer. I am going to leave the decision to krid of how to make it available, since he is the developer of the app. I could certainly package it up and host it somewhere, but the converter is hosted on his site, and I don't want to step on his toes. I will send it to him and let him review it and hopefully it will be available for testing shortly.

    Now to spit-polish it and get some instructions written up...
    Hi,

    can you give us a status of the converter. The only thing that is holding me from using keyring is that I do not want to reinput all my data.

    Thanks in Advance.
    Hanspeter
  2. krid's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
       #182  
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    can you give us a status of the converter. The only thing that is holding me from using keyring is that I do not want to reinput all my data.
    Assuming nobody finds a big bug in 0.2.0, I'll be working on the converter this coming weekend. I should be able to get something out next Sunday.

    My sincere apologies to Grabber and Jurgen for not getting their great work released sooner, but the day job has been taking a big toll on me lately. This would be so much easier if I was independently wealthy...
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

    Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

    Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
  3. #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    How's about using the favicon of the URL of an item? That's a bit of a stretch with the current webOS APIs, but it ought to be possible someday. I'll add that to the ideas pile.
    That won’t cut it for many cases: Some web sites have ugly facicons, and not every password I store (in fact, the minority) is associated with a URL to begin with. (On the other hand, I do not find icons too helpful for Keyring anyway. My 2 cents.)
  4. #184  
    Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    Assuming nobody finds a big bug in 0.2.0, I'll be working on the converter this coming weekend. I should be able to get something out next Sunday.

    My sincere apologies to Grabber and Jurgen for not getting their great work released sooner, but the day job has been taking a big toll on me lately. This would be so much easier if I was independently wealthy...
    Thanks for the update. I am currently testing the eWallet export format converter, so I will have some more code to throw at you soon.

    All this testing reminded me of a feature request I had forgotten about: How hard would it be to mask the password field until the user clicks on it? I don't know if that is standard practice or not, but I was used to that behavior in CodeWallet. It is nice if you want to show someone CodeWallet that might be interested in using it, but you don't want to show them your password for something.
  5. krid's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
       #185  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Thanks for the update. I am currently testing the eWallet export format converter, so I will have some more code to throw at you soon.
    Excellent. If you can get it to me this week, I should be able to include it in the next release.

    All this testing reminded me of a feature request I had forgotten about: How hard would it be to mask the password field until the user clicks on it?
    That wouldn't be too hard to add. I'm a bit leery of feature creep; each feature is an opportunity for more bugs, and each one adds complexity for the user and to the prefs page. All the same, this fits into the "paranoia" class of features, so I'm favorably inclined. I'll add it to the issues list on github, and remind everyone that you can add your own bugs and feature requests there. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

    Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

    Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
  6. #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    Excellent. If you can get it to me this week, I should be able to include it in the next release.
    Should be able to do that no problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    That wouldn't be too hard to add. I'm a bit leery of feature creep; each feature is an opportunity for more bugs, and each one adds complexity for the user and to the prefs page. All the same, this fits into the "paranoia" class of features, so I'm favorably inclined. I'll add it to the issues list on github, and remind everyone that you can add your own bugs and feature requests there. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I know you need to draw a line in the sand so all of the bugs can be worked out when you submit it. Just wanted to mention it before I forgot again.
  7. #187  
    Wow! That took awhile to parse through all of the replies to see if my issue never came up. I don't like just blindly posting when the issue could have already been mentioned.

    Anyway:
    Today I was registering on a website online. The site isn't really that important to me, so I didn't want to use any of my normal passwords - I figured I could just generate the password with Keyring and use that, saving the login credentials within Keyring for reference.

    So, I generated the password. I entered it in the web form, filled everything in, submitted the form, and then went back to the phone. Keyring had timed out, so I logged in again. Here is the issue I have: I didn't get to saving the new entry in Keyring yet, and upon unlocking it again I discovered that it was lost! Guess what, I didn't write down the password anywhere - it is gone now.

    I think that this could be an issue for the unsuspecting - timing out and locking the app is a good idea, but it completely lost state which wasn't a good thing. Could you make this new entry state be saved, so that a longer-than-usual entry could be continued?

    Perhaps I'm missing something crucial security wise, and if so, please let me know.

    p.s. GREAT APP! I loved the original Keyring for Palm OS on my Treo!
  8. krid's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
       #188  
    Quote Originally Posted by reyawn View Post
    I don't like just blindly posting when the issue could have already been mentioned.
    Thanks for doing that.

    I generated the password. I entered it in the web form, filled everything in, submitted the form, and then went back to the phone. Keyring had timed out [...] I didn't get to saving the new entry in Keyring yet, and upon unlocking it again I discovered that it was lost!
    This has happened to me too, but I didn't pay enough attention to how annoying it was because hey, I wrote the app, I should have known better. Sometimes developers make lousy beta testers...

    I set things up so that item creation requires an explicit save, because that seemed like the right thing to do and because it's hard to handle data validation in the middle of a back-swipe or a lockout. Looking at it now, it's clear that decision needs some more thinking.

    While I was writing this, I checked out a data validation issue, and found that there's a bug in duplicate title handling, so it's clear that some work needs to be done on the data save code.

    I've file a couple bugs on the subject. They should get fixed in the next release.

    Issues - krid/keyring - GitHub

    Thanks for brining this up.
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

    Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

    Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
  9. #189  
    Great! I really do appreciate your quick response.

    As a web developer / web application developer myself, I know how can be a challenge seeing the impact of all the different use cases. Glad to be of help.

    As a side note - what are you looking for in a desktop application for this? I see within "contribution" on the website you are looking for someone with Java Swing skills - are you looking for a fully-operational desktop counterpart?
  10. #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by reyawn View Post
    As a side note - what are you looking for in a desktop application for this? I see within "contribution" on the website you are looking for someone with Java Swing skills - are you looking for a fully-operational desktop counterpart?
    That would be cool!
  11. krid's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
       #191  
    Quote Originally Posted by reyawn View Post
    As a side note - what are you looking for in a desktop application for this? [...] are you looking for a fully-operational desktop counterpart?
    Yup. And what's more, I'll have one next weekend. I found a Java client built in 2005 for Keyring for PalmOS, and I've been adapting it to my codebase. It won't be particularly pretty, and the initial release will be dangerously unstable, but the important parts are there. It will also be a front-end for the converter, and will support CSV export, so it should make all sorts of people happy.

    In my wilder dreams, I imagine that the code could be turned into an Android app, which would make Keyring a cross-platform open source password manager.
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

    Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

    Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
  12. krid's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
       #192  
    I've posted a new version of keyring-converter.jar on my site. It now supports import from CodeWallet, eWallet and CSV, as well as the original GnuKeyring pdb format. The additional converters were written by Matt Williams, aka Grabber5.0. A big thanks to him for that!

    Give them a try, and let us know how they work for you.

    I posted some very rudimentary instructions on getting the export data from CodeWallet & eWallet. I'd appreciate it if someone who actually has those packages could write up some better instructions.
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

    Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

    Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
  13. #193  
    The sample files I was sent were from eWallet 5.02.21698 (desktop version on XP). Note that earlier versions at some point had a slightly different export format -- I would like a sample file from an earlier version, so I can make the converter compatible with it.

    For CodeWallet 2006 on WinMO (only version I have access to):
    To export your wallet from CodeWallet Pro, select Export from the main menu. Select what you want to export (whole file, selected node and children, etc), and be sure to check the 'passwords' box to include your passwords.

    With all csv or export files, make sure you keep the files secure, and make sure to delete them when you are finished importing the converted data into KeyRing (and verified it looks ok), as they are clear text files and completely insecure on their own.

    Big thanks go to krid for writing a password program with an import feature. I will be the first to admit I wrote the CodeWallet converter for myself, but was glad to share the program with others. The eWallet converter just required fairly simple modifications to that one. And who hasn't written a bunch of CSV file processors?
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/26/2010 at 02:23 PM.
  14. #194  
    Great work guys.

    I'm not a super techie user but pulled off importing a 3 entry test csv file using this tool. First try failed out due to needing the additional Java Crypto download, but once I downloaded the zip file and put those jar files into the appropriate folder -- it worked smoothly on try #2.

    Import of my three test cases into Keyring also went smoothly. Now I can finally export the real stuff this weekend (after some cleanup of unnecessary old data) and dump my (strong) password protected Excel workbook from 2003!!
  15. #195  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Great work guys.

    I'm not a super techie user but pulled off importing a 3 entry test csv file using this tool. First try failed out due to needing the additional Java Crypto download, but once I downloaded the zip file and put those jar files into the appropriate folder -- it worked smoothly on try #2.

    Import of my three test cases into Keyring also went smoothly. Now I can finally export the real stuff this weekend (after some cleanup of unnecessary old data) and dump my (strong) password protected Excel workbook from 2003!!
    Why did I use Word all those years when Excel could do password protection too? Would have been a lot easier to create the text file I imported into CodeWallet when I bought it! Perhaps Docs2Go couldn't read protected Excel files... been too long, I can't remember. That password-protected Word doc was the reason I upgraded to Docs2Go Pro from the free version that came with my Sony CLIE. Imagine my disappointment when I bought a WinMO phone (because I was tired of Hotsync problems... if only I had known Activesync was no better...) and discovered that Pocket Word could not read it (which is why I bought CodeWallet).
  16. #196  
    Krid, thanks for cranking out the converter.

    I can't wait to use it, but I was wondering if you planned to add a url field to the CSV converter soon. My YAPS data has a field for that, and so does keyring, and I'm trying to avoid typing in all my associated URLs.
  17. #197  
    Quote Originally Posted by KerwoodDerby View Post
    Krid, thanks for cranking out the converter.

    I can't wait to use it, but I was wondering if you planned to add a url field to the CSV converter soon. My YAPS data has a field for that, and so does keyring, and I'm trying to avoid typing in all my associated URLs.
    The CSV converter does support the URL field. I am not sure if I just inadvertently left that off of the list I sent to him, or I wrote it up before I realized that the URL field was in the java class. Sorry for the confusion.
  18. #198  
    Ok, super! And sorry about the mis-attribution!
  19. krid's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
       #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The CSV converter does support the URL field. I am not sure if I just inadvertently left that off of the list I sent to him, or I wrote it up before I realized that the URL field was in the java class.
    I copied the instructions out of the error text in the Java class without really paying attention. I just updated the web page, and I've added "url" to the error text.

    Also, the error text said "notes", but the code looks for "note", so you'll want to adjust your CSV accordingly.
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

    Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

    Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
  20. #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    I copied the instructions out of the error text in the Java class without really paying attention. I just updated the web page, and I've added "url" to the error text.

    Also, the error text said "notes", but the code looks for "note", so you'll want to adjust your CSV accordingly.
    Ah.. that is probably what I did when I sent them to you anyway. I can't remember why, but for some reason I felt compelled at the time to be flexible on the name of the notes field, so I handle that one differently. As long as it starts with the word 'note' it will pick it up; so it can be 'note', 'notes', or even 'notes about this password entry' Looking at the code just now, I do think I need to tweak it slightly, in case for someone accidently has whitespace after the other column headers.

Posting Permissions