webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Mind Master
Mind Master

Old 09/07/2009, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

PLEASE REGISTER AT http://www.gomlsoftware.com TO USE THE MIND MASTER SUPPORT FORUM (http://www.gomlsoftware.com/forums/support/mind-master)

Version 1.1.0 will be available soon, please bring issues and concerns to the new official forum for Mind Master.

How to play:

There are 6 different balls and the game will create a 4-ball sequence that you are to guess in 9 attempts. Play begins on the bottom row. Select a ball, then an empty hole to place it. Tap the Guess button to submit your guess. Once your guess is submitted, an indicator will let you know how many balls were the correct color AND in the correct position (black number), and how many balls were the correct color ONLY (white number).

Last edited by sugardave; 11/03/2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: New version imminent
sugardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by cshrader, Eckoman518
Old 09/07/2009, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sooooo....it is like master mind?
Complex Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2009, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
Sooooo....it is like master mind?
Yes, exactly!
Old 09/07/2009, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey SugarDave,
This is a great start and already very playable.

I love logic games, so I can see myself playing this one a lot, so wanted to give my 2 cents. (Hope this doesn't sound nitpicky)

With my big fingers, it's kind of a pain to click on the holes to cycle through the colors. So, if everything was up to me I'd like to see:
  • More efficient use of horizontal screen space - The Guess and New buttons can be moved to the bottom which would allow the holes to spread out a bit. And/or a landscape option would be great too.
  • A way to copy the previous guess to the next line would be cool. Then you can just edit one or two colors and submit.
  • Cycling through the colors is ok, but I'd prefer to have all the colors on the side or bottom and tap to select a color, tap the hole to place it.
  • The app currently doesn't compress vertically with notifications, but that's not a big deal for me.
  • Scrolling even in portrait mode would be cool, especially if more of the buttons are moved to the bottom.

Thanks for listening.
eKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sugardave
Old 09/07/2009, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great feedback, thanks eKennedy! I will be working on moving things around, for sure. I had to cheat and use a static background for the board right now, because webOS isn't supporting curved borders with a background color (for me, anyway )

I already knew the horribleness of the button layout, but was pleased enough with my static image test that I decided to see what others thought of the game itself.

I do like the copy last line idea and the pre-select menu idea (had been mulling that one already), but the other "fancy" scrolling/compression things will have to wait until my skill catches up
Old 09/07/2009, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

it is not working for me. all i get are ? symbols in the top row. neither of the buttons work... any help?
licotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2009, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by licotto View Post
it is not working for me. all i get are ? symbols in the top row. neither of the buttons work... any help?
Hi! I guess the interface is not perfectly intuitive. You have to start on the bottom row by tapping the empty holes to change the color of the ball for that position. Once you have all the holes filled, you can tap the Guess button to check your solution.

I hope that helps!
Old 09/07/2009, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Great app! I've always liked this game. Great suggestions, eKennedy!
cshrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2009, 03:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Could you make a version or a pref screen for those of us that are color blind? Yeah, it sucks trying to play color based games when I don't have normal color vision.
artitumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2009, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artitumis View Post
Could you make a version or a pref screen for those of us that are color blind? Yeah, it sucks trying to play color based games when I don't have normal color vision.
A preferences system is something I've been thinking about....not sure how to handle the color thing. I guess I could make a set of balls that are numbered instead and then you could choose between the sets....hmmm.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09/08/2009, 10:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

I've been looking for the 'real' game in stores for the last year, so when I saw your app I downloaded it immediately. Played this game 30+ years ago all the time. Looking forward to your updates!
kgilbertsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2009, 10:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Nice job.

My only advice is to correctly handle the notification screen size, currently it seems to get a little blocked off at the bottom when a notification exists.
KallDrexx#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2009, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Great job on a classic game. However, there appears to be an error in the code. Periodically, it will indicate the guess has 3 correct, and 2 wrong place. Rearranging the same 5 will sometimes yield a different number of total correct colors, such as 4-0. I've noticed this more when the code only consists of 2 colors. I promise a screenshot next time. There is also a chance that I just don't understand the rules. If so, then I aplogize for my dumb post.
PrestonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2009, 11:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

All, I am aware of the notification issue...just not sure if I will be able to fix it "properly." It will probably be something to do with removing that ugly green banner at the top so everything can shift up a little.

@PrestonJames: I would not be surprised if it were a bug in my code, but if you can get a picture, it would REALLY help me. Further, if you think it's happening while playing, take your first picture, then also a picture with the code revealed.

Thanks for the responses everyone!
Old 09/08/2009, 03:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think I understand what PrestonJames is saying. I think the error is that if the answer has, for example, four purples and one blue in it and you guess one purple and four greens, the game will tell you that you have four correct guesses (whether or not the colors are in the correct spots is irrelevant). In that example, the game should only tell you you have one correct guess and whether or not it's in the right spot.

I hope that makes sense.
Mac454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2009, 04:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac454 View Post
I think I understand what PrestonJames is saying. I think the error is that if the answer has, for example, four purples and one blue in it and you guess one purple and four greens, the game will tell you that you have four correct guesses (whether or not the colors are in the correct spots is irrelevant). In that example, the game should only tell you you have one correct guess and whether or not it's in the right spot.

I hope that makes sense.
Crap, I hope that's not the case....what you should get in your example is either:

1 (black) 0 (white) - if the purple one is in the right spot
0 (black) 1 (white) - if the purple one is not in the right spot

I will do some more testing while I'm updating other stuff and see if I can find a failing combination.

Thanks!
Old 09/09/2009, 07:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

This game is awesome, I just wish there was a better input method as opposed to repeatedly tapping the spaces.
atomichumbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2009, 08:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomichumbucker View Post
This game is awesome, I just wish there was a better input method as opposed to repeatedly tapping the spaces.
Thanks! I'm currently working on a preferences system (very simple) and then plan on doing something with the input system.
Old 09/10/2009, 02:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Here is a screen shot of the error PrestonJames is talking about. If you notice in row 4 (from bottom) there is 2 correct colors and 2 correct and in the right place for a total of 4 correct colors all togather, then in row 5 there are the same colors just reordered and there is 3 in the correct spots with 0 correct colors only for a total of 3. If you notice also from row 1 it shows 1 correct spot and 2 correct colors but only 2 of them are correct acording to the answer...it counted the black twice since there is 2 black dots in the answer, but when the black dot was in the right spot (row 5) it only counted it once.

ps. for those of you who don't know, I just found out today, to get a screen shot you press "orange key" + "Sym" + "P" and then you goto your photos and there will be a new folder of "Screen captures".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mindmaster_2009-10-09_123440.jpg (71.7 KB, 133 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by maspenc; 09/10/2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added ps
maspenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2009, 03:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maspenc View Post
Here is a screen shot of the error PrestonJames is talking about. If you notice in row 4 (from bottom) there is 2 correct colors and 2 correct and in the right place for a total of 4 correct colors all togather, then in row 5 there are the same colors just reordered and there is 3 in the correct spots with 0 correct colors only for a total of 3. If you notice also from row 1 it shows 1 correct spot and 2 correct colors but only 2 of them are correct acording to the answer...it counted the black twice since there is 2 black dots in the answer, but when the black dot was in the right spot (row 5) it only counted it once.
Thanks for the screen grab, I think I know what's going on and will try to fix it in the next release (coming soon).

Tags
game, games, logic

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0