Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Yeah I'd really like this to be a usable app as there's really no leader in this space.. I think the most important thing for this app to be useful is for the interface to be efficient and snappy. When you have 45 seconds between sets and your hands are trembling from the last set.. the last thing you want to do is fumble through some screens and dropdowns not really knowing you are going to get what you want.

>>> What Version Did you run?
    I'm using version 0.1.33. Not sure if Autosave implemented in that version.. but it didn't work for me (I never noticed any Save confirmation anywhere)

>>> 1 --> Is there a better Phrase I can use instead of (Track Work Out), because I can see how that my not be the best.

My very first interaction:
    The very first thing I did on the first page.. thinking I would get to Exercising.. was tap "Add an Exercise".. thinking that would get me to the first exercise of this session. I typed in what I thought was to be my first exercise.. unknowingly I was adding an exercise to the exercise list. At that point.. I was like.. oh.. this is confusing. (confidence lost in app right away)

The first time I saw "Track Workout" .. I thought it meant like a running track.. as in like running sprints on a track or something. Maybe "Start New Session", "Start New Workout".. something like that. And this should be more prominent than "Add An Exercise" as you'll be using this function much more. Really.. after a few weeks.. "Add an Exercise" button will be relatively unused as you should have recorded all/most of your exercises by then.

>>> 2. Keypad / Dropdowns

Definitely.. having the preference is huge! The majority of your time is spent inputting here.. and so this will make or break your app.

Another usability/efficiency recommendation:

Making your app "smart".. by putting the user's most used Exercises at the top of the list in the Choose "Exercise Name" will dramatically reduce the amount of fumbling through the dropdown box.

Hope this helps!
  2.    #142  
    I will remove the Add Exercise from the Main Menu as that makes Sense. Also I will Try and work on getting another screen for typing in the weights instead and based of your preferences you will only get that one.

I may not be able to do that until the next version unless Palm tells me that is okay but I can change the UI a little bit to be less confusing

Yes 0.1.33 has the Notification when you save it, Saving it is when you hit next Set and when the scene is deactivated.

I will have to figure the exercise one out, Since they are stored in tables I will have to see the best and most efficient SQL to do it but good suggestion.

Thanks for the feed back as this is the only way I can make this better and a first rate application.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Glad to help! After we get these usability changes in.. then we can work on the "History" section

Hey I'm a Database Developer if you need some SQL help

good luck
    First of all... Love the program. I've been playing with it for a while now but seems when I have time to provide feedback, you've already fixed those issues! Some of the suggestions / feedback I wanted to let you know is:

1) Is it possible to provide audible feedback when a event has occured (ie a *ding) for another mile, or per 15 min of running? It's difficult & i've found it a little dangerous to be looking at the screen to figure out how long i've ran - A audible notifcation would be awesome.

2) Is it possible to include altitude infomation on the screen and in the output file?

3) It may be possible to utilize the accelerometer as a method of dead reconing posistioning (ie measuring foot steps - like a pedometer) when the gps goes funky....just a thought.

4) I've found that using a armband signifigantly increases the gps signal strength... before I was holding it in my hand.

Good Work so far... It's shapping up to be a great program!
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by rumurphy View Post
    Glad to help! After we get these usability changes in.. then we can work on the "History" section

Hey I'm a Database Developer if you need some SQL help

good luck
    I work with Database all the time too, I am just limited to Sqlite and not sure what it's capabilities are yet so I will what I can do.

I am going to be adding a scree so that you can set up your own work out Routines and that might be better for some as it is.

I am hoping to start working on Version 2 this week or next. That version will have all this stuff in it and more.
  6.    #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by tmny79 View Post
    First of all... Love the program. I've been playing with it for a while now but seems when I have time to provide feedback, you've already fixed those issues! Some of the suggestions / feedback I wanted to let you know is:

1) Is it possible to provide audible feedback when a event has occured (ie a *ding) for another mile, or per 15 min of running? It's difficult & i've found it a little dangerous to be looking at the screen to figure out how long i've ran - A audible notifcation would be awesome.

2) Is it possible to include altitude infomation on the screen and in the output file?

3) It may be possible to utilize the accelerometer as a method of dead reconing posistioning (ie measuring foot steps - like a pedometer) when the gps goes funky....just a thought.

4) I've found that using a armband significantly increases the gps signal strength... before I was holding it in my hand.
    I will add the Alitidue to the Extract today I will only add it to the route file, I will then add it on the screen in the next version.

I really want to Add the Vibrate to the Notification process but I am not sure how to kick it off I have not seen any documentation on it yet. I will see what I can do, as I agree it is hard to see the notifications.

If anyone is willing to record a message to say you have reached a mile that would be cool too.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Good Work so far... It's shapping up to be a great program!
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmny79 View Post
    I second that one. I'm not sure if I have a preference for time or distance but one of them would be nice. I use this strictly for running and use an arm band. I can't see the screen while I'm running effectively.
  8.    #148  
    Okay You asked for I have added the vibrate to the App. It was a lot easier than I thought.

Here are the changes.
    v 0.1.97 9/21
    Added Vibrate Notification to Every Mile Indicator
    Added Vibrate Notification to Save of Exercise and Workout
    Changed Location And Names of Exercises
    -- Track Work Out is now Start Your WorkOut
    -- Add Exercise is now under "Start Your WorkOut" And Name is changed to Create Exercise
    I used v0.1.97 during a walk this morning, it worked well. I did notice the following things, though:

• Lots of lag when pushing the Start button. About 5 - 8 seconds. I had not noticed this before.
    • Average Pace still says 0:00
    • Average speed is higher than Max Speed - Avg = 3.76, Max = 3.00

The look and feel is coming in...I like what you have done with it.
  10.    #150  
    I need to get rid of max speed since I just can't seem to fix it.

Also I am going to start working on my next version this weekend based on all these comments.

So please start making the request for the new version.

Here is what I am planning on so far.

-- Allow user to enter Cardio work outs from a cardio machine like a treadmill, or Exercise Bike, etc
    -- Add a Section to Monitor Your weight.
    -- Add a way to create a workout routine
    -- Have an option to enter Weight by using the Keypad.
    -- Add Sync/Backup to the website
    -- Add ability to Save Routes and use it to check progress from last route time. (compare your different runs for the same route)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hopefuls ( If I have time, If not it will be in Version 3 )
    Add a Calorie Count Screen with links to web based food database.
    Add On Phone Graphing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Future when Palm allows for file Creation
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Create GPX File right on the phone no more conversions.

Let me know what you all think on what else would be good.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I really like the layout changes from the last update. Great progress!

I'm looking forward to seeing the cardio workout and save the route. I would love to see the calorie counter screen if you can get than in.
  12.    #152  
    I will will plan on adding a new screen every other day or so, so hang in there. I may not have many updates as I have had recently, since I am locked in to the recent changes I have made, so this is why I feel I can start on my next version.
    Last edited by ohallord; 09/22/2009 at 08:45 AM.
  13.    #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    I really like the layout changes from the last update. Great progress!

I'm looking forward to seeing the cardio workout and save the route. I would love to see the calorie counter screen if you can get than in.
    Question on the Calorie thing?

Would you want to have it just to enter it so you can keep track of it or would it be better to wait till I get the food database set up?

Basically I can put a screen together so that you can monitor your calorie intake and out take for the day but it would not be a look up. You would have to enter the Calories manually. You would be able to view your Calorie Intake out Take for the day in the (check Progress area)...

If that is good enough I can add that for now and then add a food lookup later.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohallord View Post
    Question on the Calorie thing?

Would you want to have it just to enter it so you can keep track of it or would it be better to wait till I get the food database set up?

Basically I can put a screen together so that you can monitor your calorie intake and out take for the day but it would not be a look up. You would have to enter the Calories manually. You would be able to view your Calorie Intake out Take for the day in the (check Progress area)...

If that is good enough I can add that for now and then add a food lookup later.
    I'm really only interested in keeping track of the calories I burn both per activity and then a history or log of some kind. I find calorie counting systems too cumbersome and too time consuming to enter all the foods.
  15.    #155  
    Good to know so At least I can have that version in there and then if I get requests for a food database then I will work on the food database.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    That would be great. Looking forward to seeing it.
    I would consider saving the calorie tracker for a separate application. IT alone could be fairly complicated. There are a couple of Weight Watcher point apps out there, but nothing for counting calories. Of course, having it all components of this app could be a benefit, as well...we could do calories in and calories out that way. Take a look at the iPod app, Lose It! for ideas on the layout.

One think that I would like to see is the ability to combine the times and distances when uploading to EveryTrail. It may just be that I don't know what I am doing, but I can't seem to do that.

By the way, I did not get the mile notifications tonight when I ran...at least I didn't feel them if I did. Do I need to turn something on? I also noticed when I got home from my run that the gps quit tracking at about 3.5 miles of a 5 mile run...but the time kept going and the data did not disappear. Putting it up on EveryTrail verified where it stopped tracking. I was bummed! That was my longest run to date.

Again - Great work! Keep it up!!!
    Used it tonight and like it a lot. One thing that I would like is a pace calculator, like the one found here...

Maybe it would need to be a seperate app, so mabe I'll post it elsewhere as well if you aren't interested in adding it.
    Not sure whats up...but all of a sudden with this version, the app is losing gps signal partway into my activity. The timer continues and if I choose GPS > Turn GPS On in the app, it begins tracking again. Tonight, I will look for any consistency in timing or anything and let you know. I also noticed that the app start-up is very slow and sometimes won't start at all unless I push the center button.
  20.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by marktaylor View Post
    Not sure whats up...but all of a sudden with this version, the app is losing gps signal partway into my activity. The timer continues and if I choose GPS > Turn GPS On in the app, it begins tracking again. Tonight, I will look for any consistency in timing or anything and let you know. I also noticed that the app start-up is very slow and sometimes won't start at all unless I push the center button.
    The scary thing nothing changed in the GPS portion of the code most of the changes are UI changes to conform to the Guidelines.

One thing I noticed this weekend when I working on it I lost GPS altogether and I had to re-start the phone. Some of my Text Messages were not delivered until I re-started my phone.

The start up really frustrates me, because nothing starts until you see the splash screen so I do not know what else to do. I removed all code that I had to in a few scene's to aide the speed of the start up.

I will look into it and see what else I can do.

Thanks for the info.
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast