Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I am not an artist, by any stretch, but I need a new logo for LaunchPoint (the program formerly know as LaunchPad). I'm willing to pay $50 for the best suggestion. You don't have to be an artist either, just describe in detail what it would look like, or sketch something, and post it to this forum. Please post suggestions directly in this forum. Do not pm your suggestions to me.

If you are an artist, I am willing to negotiate a fair price for a professionally rendered version of the winning suggestion. You can pm me with samples of previous work and a suggested price.
    LaunchPoint Speed Dial - There's no faster way to dial, email, or text, period.
    First thing that comes to mind is a rocket coming off a launchpad, smoke billowing around the bottom of it - but the rocket itself is a bright yellow #2 pencil, with a nice sharp "point" at the top.

--John
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I'm actually more into the idea of a hand with a pointed finger that is sort of "rocketting" off with the jet towards the wrist. I think it more symbolizes the app's intention, to quickly point and launch. The Windows-styled mouse-pointer (when you hover over a link) might be clever.

Another idea I had would be to take the touch ripple you get when you touch the screen and make it an icon, makes sense too.

And I am by no means an artist.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Here is my first attempt.

Last edited by sdmeier; 09/04/2009 at 07:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdmeier View Post
    Here is my first attempt.
    I like it so far. How about red for the target rings, and could you add the "ripple" effect around it? A couple other variations I would like to see would be a finger pointing instead of the arrow, and maybe cross-hair lines through the target but you might have to flatten the rings for that to look right.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I'll see what I can do this weekend
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I'll see what I can do this weekend
    Sdmeier,
    Thanks, that would be great! I need to get everything finalized over the next 3-4 days. You really nailed just what I wanted. It has the "launch" and "point" elements and the look is sharp. If you don't mind, I would like to use what you did so far for my next homebrew update and then we can finalize things over the next few days.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I tried to incorporate some of the other elements you were looking for. I'm afraid if I add other things such as cross-hairs it may be a bit to much. Unless I am misunderstanding you.

Anyways.. Here it is.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    And just so we can keep it all together and have a comparison.

Last edited by sdmeier; 09/05/2009 at 11:03 AM.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    This is MY Favorite so far.
    This is MY Favorite so far.
    I definitely like that one as well.. Maybe have the red so that it isn't so bulky? Kind of have the red/white lines more defined and noticeable.. You know what I mean?

Heh.. I'm not the one using the icon, I just thought I'd give my opinion. They look really nice though!
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Thanks a million to sdmeier, for providing the inspiration that lead to this final image. I'm very happy with it and I hope that everybody else likes it a well.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Could use a bit more color. Maybe make the grey background green?

Also, I'm not sure if it is wise to have an object at an angle like that. It looks nice on a forum, but on the launcher app when it is sitting next to all the other icons, the lighting and shadows and everything will all look out of place. This is another area where palm dropped the ball a bit compared to apple, templates for lighting/gloss/shadows should have all been part of the SDK. Look at this screenshot of some iPhone apps in iTunes. It isn't perfect, but there is quite a bit of consistency there. http://omploader.org/vMmF1Yg
    Last edited by drizek; 09/07/2009 at 12:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Drizek,
    Thanks for the input. As for color, the program icon is just one of a series of icons that will be used by the LaunchPoint program. There will be a dialer icon, a text icon and a messaging icon. Each will have their own color image (green phone, white envelope with red/blue border, aqua/yellow balloons) overlayed on the background, so the background really needs to be neutral. I too would like to see a bit more color, I just don't know where to add it. I did like the fact that the icons with the arrow were more colorful, but I really think that the "hand" captures the essence of LaunchPoint, that a single tap gets you to where you want to be.

As for the 3D style of the icons, I personally prefer the icons that take advantage of having transparency and don't look like a flat button. A couple of my favorites are "mine search", "pack 'n' track", "tea timer" etc. Even the google maps icon, which is an official app, uses 3d and does not match the palm icons.

I do think that Palm should have consistency between their icons. I also think allowing a developer to have a unique style between his own apps' icons is a good thing. Again, though, I thank you for your thoughts.
    I definitely dig that new icon. Looks VERY good! Thumbs up to the developer of it.. What happened to the ripple effect though? Definitely could've added a tiny little extra touch - but all in all, that icon looks great.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadCircus View Post
    I definitely dig that new icon. Looks VERY good! Thumbs up to the developer of it.. What happened to the ripple effect though? Definitely could've added a tiny little extra touch - but all in all, that icon looks great.
    sdmeier did most of the work. I made a few minor changes, but it was mostly his doing. I was planning to re-add the ripples, just hadn't gotten around to it yet. I'm working on the rest of the program icons. I will post them here for feedback.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Here is the final icon set:
    congrats...
    I was looking for help using the app, I found this thread.
    How do I edit or delete launchpoints...

IMO, I guess the hand grew on my over the arrow, but a bullseye over a "launch" button still doesnt sit well. Is it too late to make the bullseye a actual launch button !?
    Which way to the java script for dummies thread ?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tweaka View Post
    congrats...

IMO, I guess the hand grew on my over the arrow, but a bullseye over a "launch" button still doesnt sit well. Is it too late to make the bullseye a actual launch button !?
    Just push the orange button on the keyboard while at the same time tapping whatever lauchpoint you want to delete! Poofff! It's gone.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tweaka View Post
    congrats...

When you say to use a launch button instead of the bullseye, which button do you mean? When you start LaunchPoint you see 4 buttons, the dial, email,sms and popup buttons. Do you mean one of them? The only problem with any of those is they are used for contacts that have no photo so if you have a launcher page with a screen full of launchpoints and the LaunchPoint icon, it won't stand out. I don't know. I can try it and see how it looks.

Unless you mean something different, in which case please try to explain what you mean.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast