Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    UPDATE:
    This has been added to the app catalog, and here's the link for ya guys!
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...d=com.btg.zopp

A few days ago i saw a request to get Zork on the palm pre using something called parchment, which is a javascript based z-machine interpreter. I figured what the hay, I'll do it, and here are the fruits of my labors in delicious beta format!

Features:

The complete massive ZORK adventure;
    Smart and complex player input handled just as well;
    full version, you can gain the 350 points available in the original.

What's missing:

Game saving needs to be changed from its parchment original to a new pre friendly format (right now saving the game wont do anything);
    Autoscroll the game window after receiving new input, right now you have to manually push the screen up in order to see anything that goes beyond the bottom of the screen.

The project is closed source for now, once the engine is fully finished I will open it up.

here is a link to the project, its too big to attach but here ya go!
    CLICK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Indecom; 04/28/2010 at 03:32 AM.
    So this is a game?
    Yes.
  4.    #4  
    Yes, this is an Interactive Fiction game, or a text adventure if you will. This is like if video games are like movies, then IF games are like books that you can interact with.

This game originally came out in 1980, 5 years before i was born and earned them 20 MILLION dollars by 1984. It's the grand daddy of text adventure games.
    Ah, the good ole days on my Commodore playing Zork....
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Dude. Thanks so much for this. I fell in love with IF games on my Commodore 64 in the 80s, and love having them on my smartphones.

Any chance we could soon see a version of "Planetfall" (Infocom, 1983) for the Pre?
  7.    #7  
    if you have the zcode binary, you'll be able to play it in time, as this is just a test of the z-machine interpreter i'm making for the pre, though it will require you to convert them from z5 to javascript using a python module that i have, but you'll be able to play any game in zcode format on the pre.
    Ha, I wonder what Marc Blank (creator of the game Zork) thinks of this considering he no longer works at Palm and now is working on Android programs.

Not that he has any control over that property anymore, but still.
    It's pitch black, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

I've put GOD knows how many hours into this game when I was a kid, and now it's going to eat up my time again!
  10.    #10  
    Haha that's what i like to hear!

Now this is still in very early beta, i've got to implement game saving and make a better stat bar.

But it's fully playable as long as you dont shut off the pre mid-game or close your zork card out lol
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Classic. I dare not re-enter this realm until game-saving is put into place. Far too much danger of playing all the way through in one (long) sitting!

Also . . . how about "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" FTW! ?
    I doubt it would surprise to infocom fans that I am happy with this coming out.

Last edited by LurkingGrue; 09/03/2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Fixed wording.
    On the PreCentral download page for this program, it says "ZORK I is the grand daddy of all text adventure games."

Un huh! NWJ!

The original text adventure game was simply called Adventure, and it was programmed in Fortran on Digital PDP-10 computers. For those of you under the age of 30 or 40, Fortran was a popular high-level language available on most computers, and Digital was one of the three or four largest computer companies in the 70s and 80s (until it was swallowed up by Compaq and disappeared.)

Adventure came out in the late 70s, and it was a SENSATION. It was distributed freely among Digital user groups, and it had been ported to dozens of platforms, including the PC. You can probably find a copy if you google it.

Zork I is a great game and lots of fun to play, but it is a shameless ripoff of Adventure. It uses a virtually identical parser, and many of the buzzwords are straight out of Adventure. Nevertheless, I am thrilled that someone has brought Zork to the Pre.

Now how about the remaining Zorks, some of which include graphics. Or maybe someone can port Adventure to the Pre. Talk about retro!
    It it would take is to stick the game datafiles into the ipk as the games themselves were generic.

They had interpreters for each platform and only had to write the game once and in those days that was a big deal given how many platforms there were.
    Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You

THIS is the kind of stuff I want to see and play on my Pre.

I hope you can get the other great Zork games up and running.

If I didnt say it enough

THANK YOU
    Quote Originally Posted by hmjd View Post
    Classic. I dare not re-enter this realm until game-saving is put into place. Far too much danger of playing all the way through in one (long) sitting!

Also . . . how about "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" FTW! ?
    +1!

I wonder where I put that pocket lint?
  17.    #17  
    Yeas adventure came first but only allowed for 2 word input where zork can handle much mor complex full sentences. But with this you will be able to play adventure, and colossal cave, and thousands of others, when its finished and they are converted lol.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I can't seem to figure out how to play. Never played any text-based games like this before. I try to type a command followed by enter and that only creates a space. Comma inserts a (1/4) and the back gesture enters a symbol.

Directions in the first post? Maybe even a list of commands it recognizes? Don't leave me hangin'.
  19.    #19  
    After hitting enter you have to manually push the page up to see the results. One thing I will get fixed.

Try and keep the commands as plain english as you can, and use compas diections to travel.
    I had a nice cushy government job. Nice pay, two whole days off a week.... Life was Good.

Then I just found out you're bringing a Z-code interpreter to my Pre.

I might as well just quit now....they're gonna fire my **** for sure!

Seriously, thanks for doing this. Should be all set in time for the IFComp this year, too!

Regards -

RT Perry
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast