Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Really love the new auto-scrolling and "C64 load screen" colors, Indecom. Nice work.
  2.    #42  
    Thanks VCI, I figured a more old school look would much better suit the project. How does the up/down scrolling feel? Is it intuitive, simple, smooth enough? If I need to, I don't mind reformatting it to work within a container, would be challenging and may not work as I want, but its doable, though may take away from the retro style it currently has. But I could have mutiple style choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indecom View Post
    so far you are the 2nd or 3rd person to mention that. I'm not sure why it isnt working for some, but its working for the rest. what version of the os are you on? i'd recommend upgrading to 1.1 if possible, if thats not what you have now.

@paladin: yea i'm thinking about posting a thread there, just been rather busy today, but i'll have one up here in a little bit.
    I do have webos 1.1. Perhaps it is my onscreen keyboard hack?
  4.    #44  
    oooh okay, are you using the keyboard to actually play the game?
    The major difference between Zork and Adventure was the parser. Infocom touted that you could use real sentences with Zork vs. Adventure's two-to-four word commands. Also, Zork was supposed to be able to deal with synonyms where Adventure was very exacting.

Anyone else remember all the goodies you used to get with Infocom games? Hitchhiker's was great with it's anti-peril glasses and "Don't Panic" button. The brilliance of the extras were that they encouraged actually buying the game because certain clues would be required from things like the included mini-newspaper.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
  6.    #46  
    I have unfortunately never played Hitchhiker's guide, i know i'm ashamed lol.

I've got a couple of people interested in helping with the project as much as their lack of time will allow, and have already had a decent reorganizing of my code, but i'm still with a couple of crippling errors that need to be taken care of. Keep checking back for updates, they'll come soon i'm sure.
    Wow....first off, excellent app. It looks great and I love the blue screen of death . Only one thing missing: accelerometer support for us on screen keyboarders! that would be so awesome!
    Not necessarily accelerometer...just landscape would do the trick too
  9.    #49  
    I'm not to sure of that yet, on screen keyboard doesnt seem to be fully compatible with this project just yet, as there is no actual textbox in the program, i'm not certain how it works as i dont have the onscreen keyboard on my pre at the moment.
    New version still does nothing for me when I type a command and hit enter. Scrolling doesn't work, and I can't manually scroll. I'm using the regular keyboard, not onscreen, and I have 1.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indecom View Post
    Thanks VCI, I figured a more old school look would much better suit the project. How does the up/down scrolling feel? Is it intuitive, simple, smooth enough? If I need to, I don't mind reformatting it to work within a container, would be challenging and may not work as I want, but its doable, though may take away from the retro style it currently has. But I could have mutiple style choices.
    I think, graphically, it's perfect. The wonderful thing about these IF games is that they absolutely embodied SIMPLICITY. I mean, how much simpler can you get than plain text on a solid color background? Your current display choice lets the player focus on the text, which is what it's all about. You may want to offer a choice of color for those whose eyes might be sensitive, or just to let us re-live the Apple IIe days of white text on a black field ...

Honestly, though, if you focused all of your effort on making the "Save" feature work, I think you'd be real close to a finished app. I got about an hour into the game the other night (further than I'd ever got before, in fact), then accidentally threw away the card. D'oh!
  12.    #52  
    saving will come, but only after i fix the two major problems i'm having right now with keyboard input and my libraries not functioning properly. I'm sure my keyboard input problem is also the same problem select people are having with their enter keys. There is a hack fix in place that's causing some errors that need to be fixed like asap.
    Im not using the onscreen keyboard, I just thought its installation may have hindered this game?
  14.    #54  
    No I don't think that's the problem. It has to do with my asdistant that is handling the keyboard input, its not set up right but I don't have the webos experience to fix this one on my own.
    I was having the same issue with it not working and I just uninstalled the onscreen keyboard (for other reasons) and miraculously it works again. I noticed that when the onscreen keyboard was installed i would get a prompt that looked like this ">>" instead of just the single ">" and all the letters I typed were capitalized. Now all is well... good work btw!
  16.    #56  
    Thanks. I'm glad that you got that working. I'm at work right now but I have some ideas on how to fix my problems, but we'll see how that goes, hopefully it will take care of the keyboard issues.

Allright after like 4 minutes i managed to fix one of the errors, the page not loading my data like it should when pushing the scene from the menu, and after that all i have to fix is the keyboard input.
    Last edited by Indecom; 09/12/2009 at 01:02 AM.
  17.    #57  
    Hey guys, work on the interpreter is back in full swing! I tracked down my final problem and I squashed it like the bug that it was. Keyboard input should be fixed, I have two small glitches to take care of but nothing game hindering. My next steps will involve game saving and loading, so this part may take a while lol
    This is great app. Easily and immediately became my favorite Pre game! Thanks so much for working on this port! It came out the year I was born- My dad had the DOS version, but I was too impatient for it as a kid to actually play it.

A couple issues I'm having on my Pre with the game are:
    -screen scrolling is VERY slow and sluggish. Even tring to read things that have just moved offscreen is a little frustrating. It seems to be ignoring flicks and the speed of my finger, moving at a steady 2-4 lines per second(approx).
    -It seems to be breaking other Pre functionality while it's open. While the app is open, no matter what other app I switch to, it still says "Zork" in the upper left. Some apps seem to be broken completely, like address book. Last night I left Zork open because I wanted to continue where I left off, and my phone wasn't receiving calls or SMS..

Thanks again for developing this! Even with the current issues, it's excellent, and I'll continue playing!
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcSsarc View Post
    This is great app. Easily and immediately became my favorite Pre game! Thanks so much for working on this port! It came out the year I was born- My dad had the DOS version, but I was too impatient for it as a kid to actually play it.

A couple issues I'm having on my Pre with the game are:
    -screen scrolling is VERY slow and sluggish. Even tring to read things that have just moved offscreen is a little frustrating. It seems to be ignoring flicks and the speed of my finger, moving at a steady 2-4 lines per second(approx).
    -It seems to be breaking other Pre functionality while it's open. While the app is open, no matter what other app I switch to, it still says "Zork" in the upper left. Some apps seem to be broken completely, like address book. Last night I left Zork open because I wanted to continue where I left off, and my phone wasn't receiving calls or SMS..

Thanks again for developing this! Even with the current issues, it's excellent, and I'll continue playing!
    I had a suspicion that it might just be a bad install, so I removed it and reinstalled. The system breaks seem to not be happening now!
    Weird glitches though, huh?
    Last edited by BarcSsarc; 09/20/2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Mistake fix
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I made saving work. Indecom, did you get the information I sent you? I can send you a patch if that would be easier for you.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast