Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Can I add my own games to this? If not please add that ability! I have a bunch of Z code game files I would love to run on my Pre like I used to om my Palm OS devices.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  2.    #22  
    There will be in the future, this is a beta of the interpreter, in the future you'll be able to select a game file to launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indecom View Post
    There will be in the future, this is a beta of the interpreter, in the future you'll be able to select a game file to launch.
    That is fantastic news! I have many z-machine games that would be perfect for my Pre!
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    What a blast from the past. It's crazy how much I remembered.... I rolled through it flawlessly till I got to the maze : ( THANKS!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    great work!!!

please insert a help command, that will show all available commands.
    if you find a way to make the text output look nicer would be great too and start the menu text with an offset - now some is hidden by the round corner pic.
    I can't tell you how excited I am to play this. It brings me back...WAY back. Are you planning on bringing the rest to the pre too? Zork II, III, and so on? Can't wait to see the "Pre-friendly" version with SAVE. A must have. Thanks again.
    Maybe it's just me, but manually pushing the screen doesn't do anything for me either. I type "open mailbox," hit enter, and nothing (which was expected), but nothing happens when I scroll either.

Still, this is a cool start. Maybe I'm missing something?

also, another +1 for H2G2
    Wow man, this is so freakin awesome.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Really looking forward to it scrolling on it's own - but otherwise genius!

It does leave me with two problems though....

The first is that zork is pretty hard to complete without making a map - so I'd need a tiny Pre and a huge map to play

The second is that I brought a lot of infocom games (zork, deadline, planetfall, hitchikers and lots more) - but they're all on 8" CPM-format disks (except a few late ones on 5 1/5" IBM format) - how the f*** am I going to get the data off those!

Still I'd rather have those problems than not having zork!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Any chance we could soon see a version of "Planetfall" (Infocom, 1983) for the Pre?
    >> save
    floyd says "Oh boy are we going to do something dangerous now?"

Or something like that. Almost fell out of my chair laughing when I first saw it (I guess you had to be there...)
    Last edited by dbh123; 09/04/2009 at 01:11 PM.
  11.    #31  
    You can download their data files on the net if you legally own a copy or if they are freeware.
    I'm trying to like it but this game was before time so I'll need a help function down the road sometime
    but thanks for the effort, looks like it'll be good
    I'm so psyched to play ZORK!!! this is too cool after all those years ago! THANKS!
  14.    #34  
    Tell you what, i'll go ahead and give you a link to proper z5 gaming, then I'll add a link to it in the help menu.

Part 1:
    Brass Lantern How to Play a Text Adventure Part 1
    Part 2:
    Brass Lantern How to Play a Text Adventure Part 2

Hopefully this helps IF newcommers
    Last edited by Indecom; 09/04/2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Spelling fix
    Wow... I spent so many nights on my C64 playing the ZORK Trilogy, Planetfall, and Hitchhiker's Guide (anyone else bummed they never made the sequel to that?)... I truly appreciate the effort behind porting this game to the Pre. Infocom (or whoever owns it these days... Activision?) could probably make a little $ on these "retro" games. I'd pay a few bucks for HGTTG (and even more if someone wrote the sequel finally). I don't know any new games to have the great sense of humor that these Infocom games had.

Off topic, but anyone working on a C64 emulator for WebOS?

DrFlathead
  16.    #36  
    Hey guys just want to update you on the progress of the interpreter, i've got a LOT of work done. I had to change how scrolling through the text works because window.scroll doesnt work right in webOS, so now to scroll up or down you press on either the top or bottom half of the screen, and it will always keep the text in view as much as possible, no blank emptiness unless the total text doesnt exceed the bottom of the screen. The screen now updates when you hit enter, and takes you to the bottom to show you the results without manual scrolling. I'm working on implementing customizable background colors and eventually images and possibly screen effects.

I'm building the main menu for the application currently, it LOOKS good, I even came up with an official name for the interpreter, ZOPP which stands for Z-code On Palm Pre, have a cool looking background and logo design.
    Last edited by Indecom; 09/09/2009 at 03:26 AM.
  17.    #37  
    The game has officially been updated, check out the homebrew section or your filecoaster homebrew sections!

Also some important bits of news/info, I'm going to be making the jump from just a ZORK game on the pre, to a full out Z-interpreter capable of playing the thousands of z-games out there, but i dont feel i could do this on my own. There is still much i need to learn about webOS programming, but general programming i can do, javascript i can knock out of the park. I'm very dedicated to this, this interpreter is my freetime, if i'm not sleeping, eating or working, i'm working on this. I've put tons of work into this project here, and i know we all want to see it completed, to be able to play the plethora of available z5's on our pre's. So here is a request i'm putting out here, since i can't do this on my own, i would like to form a small dedicated team, maybe just 1 or two more people who can help out with the webOS related issues that are coming up for me in this project. I've been programming webOS for only 2 weeks now, and feel, with some added support and guidance, I/we can create something phenomenal.
    Why don't you put it on the Wiki??
    Main Page - WebOS Internals

EDIT: Maybe not... I thought they had a page for software development that people could contribute to. I may be wrong...

How about asking over at:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    How the **** do you play? The enter button does nothing!
  20.    #40  
    so far you are the 2nd or 3rd person to mention that. I'm not sure why it isnt working for some, but its working for the rest. what version of the os are you on? i'd recommend upgrading to 1.1 if possible, if thats not what you have now.

@paladin: yea i'm thinking about posting a thread there, just been rather busy today, but i'll have one up here in a little bit.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast