Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  

About:
    EVE Skill Tracker (EST) is an application for a niche audience: webOS users who play the MMO EVE Online. For more information on EVE Online, go to the official website at EVE Online - a massive multiplayer online roleplaying space game - MMORPG.

This app will display your current skill in training, along with the time left for training and the description of the skill. In addition, if you have any other skills in your queue after the current skill, they will be displayed in a collapsible drawer at the bottom of the screen.

EST will optionally run in the background and monitor your skill queue, and will notify you via a banner message when a skill is completed, nearing completion (about 30 minutes left) or if you have no skill in training (once every 10 minutes). (All three of these notifications are individually configurable.)

License:
    Closed Source. This app is free but destined for the App Store. However, my goal is that everything that is accessible via the Limited API Key will remain free, and the paid application will feature all of the Full API information including corporation details, wallet, kill board messages, the works. This decision is pending learning more about Palm's sales model: if they offer a Free/Paid try-briefly-before-you-buy model, we're golden. If they only offer Limited Trial or Paid models, I'll look at my options for splitting the app into two (not my ideal choice).

Notes:
    • To use this application, you will need your User ID and Limited API Key from the EVE API website. The key is a 64 character mixed case alphanumeric string which can be cumbersome to enter, so I have included an option where the app will log into the page for you automatically and parse your ID and API Key. (Your username and password are not saved, and are immediately cleared upon a successful parsing.)
    • There may be a little slowness on the first run or after some updates. This is because the app is downloading bulk data which includes the skills library and the certificates library then stores them locally. This is only done once for now, a future version will have either a version check against the data, an option to force an update, or both. I figure I have some time before any new skills or certificates show up but for the time being, unknown skills are simply described as such so the app shouldn't die in that situation.

To Do:
    • Trained skills viewer: Shows your trained skills for the current character.
    • Skill database: View information and prerequisites for all the skills in the game.
    • Move character selector off of the main screen and somewhere else. (Preferences?)
    • Show Character Portrait on main screen alongside name and wallet balance.
    • Character Details screen.

Download Link: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...-skill-tracker

Like the app? Cash is dandy, but nobody has any nowadays. However, I'd gladly accept donations of ISK in-game. Character name is "Hawke Dartanus", as per the screen shots.

Release History:

v1.2.1
    • Fixed a timeout issue on the character sheet screen. Note that if you have a ton of certificates, this will still take a few seconds to render, but it should no longer simply time out.
    • Fixed the package so it doesn't include unnecessary files, making the ipk a fraction of its old size. (palm-package was gobbling up the screenshots and old ipks too. Oops!)

v1.2.0
    • New: Character sheet viewer. Shows the current statistics of the character. Certificates are listed on this screen (and can be tapped to read the description and requirements.) Due to their length, skills trained are on a separate screen, accessible by a button from the character sheet. (These can also be tapped to read the description.)
    • Resolved several bugs involving not getting the current character to be remembered in the tracker.
    • The issue involving having only one skill in queue should be fixed now. Please let me know if this continues happening.

v1.1.4
    • Corrected a bug that would prevent manual entry of the user ID and API key in the preferences screen.
    • Updates to the API backend were made for both cleanliness and efficiency. Probably not a big deal for the user, but it sure makes the developer's life easier!
    • The default character selection wasn't being set if it was null before. It's supposed to pick the first person in the character list. Now, it does.

v1.1.3
    Initial release.
    Last edited by DeusInnomen; 09/06/2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: v1.2.1 released.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Oh man, don't do this. I'm going to get re-addicted! Awesome app idea.
  3.    #3  
    Oh, good, my audience isn't nearly as niche as I thought it was gonna be.

I'm finishing up the last of my desk testing now. (There's an interesting bug where a Date object written to the Depot gets stored in the "yyyy-mm-ddThh:MM:ssZ" format, and that format doesn't like being subtracted from another Date object, so I manually convert the time back to a recognized GMT format.) The rest of the bugs are obscure or has to do with insufficient error handling on my part that's gonna get polished up over the next few days.
  4.    #4  
    Okay, I have the initial release out the door, pending moderator approval! Test away, let me know what works and what's quirky. I'll be working on new features over the next week or three in my spare time.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    thank you so much for this app, I had a feeling one was in the works. The only thing I can request is support for multiple accounts.

Who should I send the ISK to for donations
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    thank you so much for this app, I had a feeling one was in the works. The only thing I can request is support for multiple accounts.

Who should I send the ISK to for donations
  7.    #7  
    I will keep Multiple Accounts in mind, that'll require a bit of restructuring to cleanly support multiple accounts but it's by no means hard. If you would like to donate ISK, my main character is the one listed in the screen shots, "Hawke Dartanus". *grin*

Thanks for the feedback. In particular, the things I need tested are:
    • Is the app being a power hog when the card isn't focused? Are my background processes poorly running?
    • Occasionally when loading the card, the character list gets a weird display value in the emulator (often either the character ID or -1). I think I know how to get around that, but I need to debug a bit more.
    • Do the notifications show up correctly when turned on? (This is something I was heavily testing for the last two days, but I'm running out of quick-to-train skills to test against!) Do the notifications not show up when turned off?

I'll probably work on an account manager shortly, which will enable your requested feature, and I'll probably have it scan the characters on an account until it finds the one in training (or if none are), so you don't have to choose the character for that account in the future.
    Is there some trick to get it to remember the User ID and API? I copied and pasted them in manually rather than use the auto-lookup, but every time I exit the Preferences screen, it forgets what I entered.
  9.    #9  
    It should save all settings as soon as each box loses focus. I'll look into it tomorrow to see if I can reproduce that.

Edited to Add: Yep, found the bug. I'll have a fix posted in the morning, I'm going to wrap up a few other minor bug fixes along with the cleanup of the backend I did tonight.
    Last edited by DeusInnomen; 09/03/2009 at 10:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Awesome app. I'll give you some ISK when I have some to spare.
  11.    #11  
    Updated to v1.1.4. This fixes Admiral Awesome's bug, plus a related bug where it wouldn't pick the first character in the dropdown automatically after entering a new account. There was also a lot of work done on the backend in preparation for future features, mostly cleaning up my logic. (Also known as, hey, I've learned a lot about Prototype and JavaScript over the past week, let's go back and apply what I learned now!)
    I just started playing EVE again a few days ago, and this app comes out! Great timing, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusInnomen View Post
    Updated to v1.1.4. This fixes Admiral Awesome's bug, plus a related bug where it wouldn't pick the first character in the dropdown automatically after entering a new account. There was also a lot of work done on the backend in preparation for future features, mostly cleaning up my logic. (Also known as, hey, I've learned a lot about Prototype and JavaScript over the past week, let's go back and apply what I learned now!)
    Coolio. Thanks!
    Heh, this was going to be my maiden project on the pre. But it's a good thing someone else did it or they'd be waiting forever on me!

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Been waiting for an app like this! Thanks.

Won't retrieve my character's data though. Correctly retrieves account into and shows all 3 characters on my account on the pulldown menu, but just gives the spinning circle forever where the skill info should be. Anyone else have this issue?
  16.    #16  
    I think I have an idea why you're seeing that. I'm working on a character sheet viewer at the moment, but if you can't wait for me to finish that, drop me a PM and I'll get you a fresh-out-of-the-oven IPK. Otherwise, I should have it posted later today or tonight.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Sounds good, I'm not desperate so I'm happy to wait for an update through filecoaster.

I've got 6 more days on Medium Hybrid Turret V anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrot View Post
    Been waiting for an app like this! Thanks.

Won't retrieve my character's data though. Correctly retrieves account into and shows all 3 characters on my account on the pulldown menu, but just gives the spinning circle forever where the skill info should be. Anyone else have this issue?
    +1, although it remembers my API now.
    I am also haveing the same problem
  20.    #20  
    I'm finishing up the Character Sheet viewer, but I'm also wrestling with a sinus infection. I appreciate everyone's patience.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast