Page 1 of 38 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Description
    --------------------------------------
    Remote Windows Client for the Palm Pre!

With RemoteWin you can remotely control your desktop from the palm of your hand!

consists of a Server application that you run on your desktop and a Palm Pre Application you run on your Palm pre.

Currently Featuring a variable refresh, and image compression rate.

Tap the gesture area to cycle between mouse modes. Single Click, Double Click, and Right click!

This is a work in progress and any feedback would be appreciated!

Installation

For a detailed installation guide please go to RemoteWin homepage

Change Log

1.0.0.0 - Initial Release

1.0.0.1 - Changed the name from PreVNC due to confusion. And made some small udpates to the server app, more to come later.

Changes to the Pre App

-Added Scroll up and Scroll Down buttons, these can be shown/hidden from the main menu. These will page up or page down the current selected document.

-Added Double Click, Right Click buttons, These buttons when pressed will make the next button press do the desired effect. So to do a double click press double click then tap the screen.

-Server Information is now saved. Before making first connection be sure to click edit server, then input the address, port and password for the server you are connecting to.

-Interface tweaks, new color scheme and logo.

-Manual refresh button added to main menu. Clicking will force the screen to refresh.

-Function key support, from the main menu there is a new scene with F keys, and alt and tab. From this scene you can send the specified keys. Each time you press one it will send the key, to go back to the main screen press back button.

-Gesture area now is the ctrl key. So tap the geture area once to send the ctrl key. This can be used to send key combos like ctrl+c, tap the gesture area then tap the c. Do not hold the gesture area and press c. Just tap the gesture before the C. This will work with any key combo. Alt key works the same, press alt from the function keys scene, then back to go back to the main screen, then press the key you want in combo.

-Various bug fixes, including the server connection again after you go back to the login and trying to connect again.

-Will not tell you its connected when its not anymore, will display unable to connect if a connection could not be made.

Split the app into lite free version

and

Donation Supported Full Version

Lite version is limited but will remain free.

Full Version supports all prior functions but now adds multiple screen support.

Changes to the server App

-Mostly bug fixes.

-Ability to turn off keyboard or mouse, to make the usage view only is enabled.

-Support for the new pre functions added.

-Connection log, shows time and ip of clients that have connected to the server.

-Prompt for connection allowed, This will prompt the windows machine that a connection has been requested. You can deny the connection by saying no.

Note the server app must be updated to work with the new pre app!

Any ideas or feeback would be greatly appreciated!

Donations

Go here for more information about the full donation supported app

You can download the latest version of the pre app from the homebrew app gallery
    You will also need the Windows Server App, which can be downloaded here

Thanks!
    Deep Thought Software

RemoteWin | Deep Thought Software
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deepthoughtsoftware; 10/02/2009 at 06:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    installed, ran server, launched prevnc. entered login info, got blank white screen.

Tried to close server and re-launch. Get message:Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

Looks like after closing server, the port remains open.
    Last edited by bakerja; 09/01/2009 at 01:26 PM.
    Excellent, Cant wait to try it.
  4. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Thanks for this. Can we use our own VNC server software, such as TightVNC server?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Nice... Almost ready to give WM Remote Desktop on my TP. Can't wait to try it out.
    omg! If this works you will currently be my VERY favorite person! For some reason it's not installing through filecoaster, but I'm gonna keep trying. This is THE app that I've been waiting for alllll this time! Logmein would be better, but I'll definitely take this over nothing!

EDIT: I'm still trying to install via fileCoaster, and it says it downloaded, and the icon doesn't show up. I removed a whole bunch of apps in case I needed more space, but that didn't work either. I'll try rebooting my Pre and report back.
    Sounds great!! However, I can't get it from filecoaster....? Why not it starts to load and then says downloaded, but that's different than normal. And its not in my launch menu.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k12 View Post
    Sounds great!! However, I can't get it from filecoaster....? Why not it starts to load and then says downloaded, but that's different than normal. And its not in my launch menu.
    yup, i've got the exact same result sucks cause I have my VNC server still up and running from back when I used PalmVNC and was excited to see if it would work.
  9.    #9  
    The file that is posted is a zip package, it contains the Server App, and the ipk, you will have to download and install the app using WebOS QuickInstall
    Downloading directly with file coaster will not work sorry, Due to the server app needing to be packaged with the download.

The server app is specificaly wrote to work with the pre app, so other vnc applications such as tightvnc will not work at the moment, possibly in the future this will change.

If you get a blank white screen its possible that it wasnt able to connect to the server, will look into it and see about better reporting.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k12 View Post
    Could it be FileCoaster is downloading the zip file?
    the file on precentral is a zip file, maybe thats why it didn't install.
    Quote Originally Posted by deepthoughtsoftware View Post
    The file that is posted is a zip package, it contains the Server App, and the ipk, you will have to download and install the app using WebOS QuickInstall
    Downloading directly with file coaster will not work sorry, Due to the server app needing to be packaged with the download.

The server app is specificaly wrote to work with the pre app, so other vnc applications such as tightvnc will not work at the moment, possibly in the future this will change.

If you get a blank white screen its possible that it wasnt able to connect to the server, will look into it and see about better reporting.
    aww bummer. I guess i'll have to wait 'til I get home from work. Thanks for your hard work though! I can't wait to see if it works.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    yup, i've got the exact same result sucks cause I have my VNC server still up and running from back when I used PalmVNC and was excited to see if it would work.
    Same here - maybe something when wrong when the IPK was created?

Note: If this is a tease then best assured we will hunt the author down and .. and hurt them - a LOT!

(Seriously great job. Really been looking forward to someone doing this! Having a real keyboard will make this very useful cf. an iPhone-based one).
    is there any chance that you can run a vnc sever on a linux desktop to connect from your pre, that would be the best app ever for me!

Thanks

JCP
    haha, using file coaster to download it like you all just did puts the prevnc.zip file in the downloads folder on your flash drive of the phone. Might as well delete that...
    Hope it will work with standard vnc servers shortly. File coaster is meant to work with ipks I think the server should be kept separate. Good start
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Awesome to see a project like this... great work! I am really interested in the possibility of PreVNC working as a client to standard RFB/VNC servers (so that I can connect to all of my various Linux and Windows PCs). Who knows... maybe even as an NX client someday!! (one can dream!)

Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Works nice!

Like so many other things on the Pre...it "just works".

The pinch-zoom works smoothly...portrait or landscape.

The only issue I had was installing it on the Pre. I'm at work so I can't do it via USB/SDK. I tried to install through filecoaster. It would download and just say "Downloaded"...not "Installed". I did this a couple of times, with the same result. When I'd look on the launcher, the app wasn't installed.

I ended up sticking the .ipk on a website I run and using the weblink function of filecoaster to point to my personal copy of it. I still just got "Downloaded", but when I minimized it, there was the "PreVNC" icon in the launcher so, I'm not sure which method actually worked.

I'm not sure if I was just impatient or what. I've installed a dozen apps, both via filecoaster and via the SDK method (before filecoaster came along).

EDIT: Found a minor glitch. Connect to the computer, turn the Pre to landscape (everything works fine), use the "back" gesture to disconnect, and you're at the connection/dialog screen...in landscape. However, turning the Pre back to portrait, the connection/dialog screen stays landscape. If I log back in, flip it back to portrait, gesture "back", it's back to the correct orientation.
    WOW. This is great. I am typing on my laptop now and I can see it on my pre.

Thanks for the great app.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Got it to work. Amazing.

Even rotates into landscape mode.

Lots of rough edges need to be worked on. The server app is really buggy but hell I am logged into my HTPC from my damn phone so whatever.
Page 1 of 38 12345611 ... LastLast