Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    It feels like I've tried everything. I've read this thread 4X. Downloaded and installed in with WEBOS QuickInstall. Set up Port Forwarding. Used 5000. Tried 5 different IP variations. http://XXX.XXX.X.X:5000; http:XXX.XXX.X.XXX:5000. etc. Got the External IP which im still not sure when i use that or not. Im on wireless, linksey router.. Went to windows firewall and added it. IPv4 is in use. Clicked start RemoteWinServer. Got a password. Am putting 5000 for the port everywhere u can put a port. Tried some other stuff on my router like remote mangement. Tried connecting laptop with ethernet. have norton antivirus and disabled it while i tried to get it to work. On my phone im doing what it says to do. sometimes it takes a while to load sometimes it doesn't. But the end result is always a white screen.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Everything works great after a little tinkering.

I was wondering if someone could explain to me what a free dynamic url is and how to set it up. Do I use it in the app instead of my IP adress?

Edit: Ok well I figured out how to access my DNS, whats the benefit to it?
    Sheesh. Poor guys.

I'll help a couple people, time permitting today, install the app if you contact me via AIM.

Rules:
    1. You cannot be totally computer illiterate

2. I may have to stop at any point if something comes up.

AIM SN: Jensenb9
    Quote Originally Posted by getmoneyeveryday View Post

Also do you think you could add a "scrolling feature" on the pre so that I can scroll easier from notepad to web browser or any other app instead of clicking on the scroll bars?
    Definitely agree, some sort of scrolling solution would be nice.

Great work. I got this working yesterday at work, then showed the rest of the monkeys(programmers) here at work. My boss loved it she began wondering if we should buy Pre's for everyone.

Errors in my program, let me just connect onto my home server, launch the VPN connect into work and fix the error. In a pinch this is awesome.

Haven't made my way thru this thread yet, but let me STRESS to everyone, (especially those who are having white screen because your router isnt setup correctly) DON'T USE THE DEFAULT PORT OF 5900!!! Use a another port on your router like 5999, MS Server software, and
    http://myserveraddress.com:5999
    This won't enable you to setup any easier, but from a security standpoint it is better.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    ok so here's a random question....I'm still having issues setting this up so I can't test it myself...

will this allow someone to view and use flash through a home browser. for example could I play a flash based game off of my home computer's browser? Just curious.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Alvin- I used the dyn site to create an outside ip to connect while on evdo. The author mentions it in the instructions. Good luck
    Everyone here does know that when someone posts http://xxx the X's mean your IP Address like 192.168.1.100 or whatever IP address is listed on the PC or Laptop that you are trying to connect to...

Here is my guide
    install RemoteWin on the Pre
    download RemoteWin.exe onto your PC that you want to connect to.
    Double click the exe file on the PC - if it errors try it as Admin, if that doesn't fix it, disable Anti-Virus software and try again, if that doesnt fix it, probably a .NET issue and OP might want to chime in, sorry your SOL but I can ty to help if you post
    Once RemoteWin's window pops up go to the Connections Tab and change the Accept Connections on port to 5999, check the Authentication Require Check box, put in a GOOD password (at least 8 long, and a mixture of letters and numbers like WorldSeriesChamps08), check the Start RemoteWin with windows, check start minimized.
    Go to the Server info tab and click the Start Server button.
    Open a browser and go to What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more and write down your IP address.
    THIS IS YOUR EXTERNAL NETWORK IP ADDRESS - write this down. It should look like 173.4.55.207
    Next go Start-> Run->type CMD hit enter-> in the black box type ipconfig-> hit enter
    THIS IS YOUR INTERNAL NETWORK IP ADDRESS - write this down. It should look like 192.168.1.100
    at this point, IF YOUR PRE IS ON YOUR HOME WIFI and your PC IS ON THE SAME NETWORK, you should be able to open RemoteWin on the Pre and put in the address of
    http://INTERNALNETWORKIPADDRESS:5999 and the password we specified above WorldSeriesChamps08 and login - Please make sure you actually put in the correct IP. If you type http:// and the actual letters 'INTERNALNETWORKIPADDRESS' hit your self in the head with a tack hammer.
    When I hit login, Windows XP prompted me to Unblock which I chose to do. If you are still ahving problems, make sure you add RemoteWin to the Windows Firewall exceptions.
    If this works at home when you are at the PC you are trying to connect to, congrats.
    If not reply to my message with your exact steps or error messages and I will try to answer your questions
    Last edited by jwdv22; 09/02/2009 at 08:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjdalton View Post
    ok so here's a random question....I'm still having issues setting this up so I can't test it myself...

will this allow someone to view and use flash through a home browser. for example could I play a flash based game off of my home computer's browser? Just curious.
    No the bitrate is going to be too low for that to work
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    If anyone needs the .ipk OTA, I've updated my post (Page 2, Post #29 of this thread) with the new version of RemoteWin.
    Guide Part 2, setup access while you are away from home...

Before you can access a PC or laptop while you are not at home, you have to tell your Router to point the incoming data to that PC. So before you leave home, go to the PC running RemoteWin software and login to the router via a Web Browser. To do this Go Start->Run->type CMD hit enter-> type ipconfig hit enter -> the Gateway IP is your router should be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or something like that. Write it down.
    Open a Browser and put the IP in the address bar like http://192.168.0.1 hit enter.
    This should bring up a login page, depending on the router your username and password are going to be different. Hopefully, you have been here before and know what your username and password are. If not Google the Router Name like Linksys and default password.
    Once you are in go to your firewall settings and add a Port Forward Rule for Name "RemoteWin", TCP is the Protocol, Source Port is Any, Destination Port is Single and the Destination Port Number is 5999. Set the rule for your to your home PC's internal IP address or PCname/hostname. This may be difficult to follow, but routers are different. You can google port forwarding and your routername for help.
    Once you have this setup on the router. On the home PC, go to What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more and write down this number, it is your external IP address. On the Pre, turn OFF Wifi. On the Pre, you should be able to enter your external IP address:5999 and the WorldSeriesChamps08 password and click login. This SHOULD work, especially if you have been able to get it to work with Wifi on in my first guide. If not, then it is a problem with how your router port forwarding is setup.
    I recommend setting up something like dyndns.com for your home PC because most ISP change your EXTERNALIPADDRESS so your RemoteWin from your Pre might only work for a little bit and then will stop working. I personally DL'ed no-ip.com's app on my home server.
    Post back with detailed steps and questions.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I use dynamic dns. I thought that it would carry over for this app. Seems it doesn't. is there a way to configure it to do that. If i type in my dns address and put :8080 on the end to get to my router it doesn't work but i can get there using the ip address?

Any ideas on what i can do?
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    I use dynamic dns. I thought that it would carry over for this app. Seems it doesn't. is there a way to configure it to do that. If i type in my dns address and put :8080 on the end to get to my router it doesn't work but i can get there using the ip address?

Any ideas on what i can do?

I use dynDNS and it works fine with RemoteWin. I'd previously set it up for RDC use. I just use username.gotdns.com:port
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    I use dynDNS and it works fine with RemoteWin. I'd previously set it up for RDC use. I just use username.gotdns.com:port
    dyndns works for me too. Nice app, thanks.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    Ok that is what i will try when i get a good signal!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    Ok that is what i will try when i get a good signal!!

Thanks
    If not you can always try No-ip.com

That is what I use. It has a little app that runs on the home server and updates their servers with your PC's external IP address so that I can enter
    philly.no-ip.biz and get to my router, or :5999 and VNC etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    Finally got it to work, Yeah!!!
    what did you do? Im having the same issue you described works great over wifi but not over evdo
    Vis
    Quote Originally Posted by Visualfx View Post
    what did you do? Im having the same issue you described works great over wifi but not over evdo
    If you are at home, aka near PC, and you try to connect using my guide does it work? If not than it is most likely a router port forwrad issue.

Do you have it setup with DynDNS or No-ip.com?
    Here's my situation. I am using WIFI that comes with my appartment. I am using the ip I get from IPCONFIG in Command Prompt. However; when I go to whereismyip.org or somewhere similar, it gives me a differant IP ADDRESS; is this because I am using a WIFI signal, which in essence is the same as a router? If so, is there anyway anybody can think of to make this work, because this is def. something I want to establish and get working! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Using Windows 7

UPDATE: Is there anyway to tell a service such as DYNDNS or no-ip.org to go strait through my external appartment IP address, to my computers IPv4 IP that I can get frm IPCONFIG?
    Keep Brewing All Ye Homebrew Underground!
    I already have Ultra VNC and/or REAL VNC installed on over a dozen different computers I access. Can I not connect to any other VNC client besides the one included in this package? If it doesn't work from all brands of VNC Servers, then it must not really be VNC? As I understand, VNC is a standard for network computing. See the wiki for more info.

Virtual Network Computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are there any plans to make this compatible with VNC?
    what is the preferred refresh rate? I've tried, 0, 1, and 2, and it still won't refresh I can see the changes, on my desktop but the pre doesn't refresh. It's an awesome app, just wish my pre would refresh it appropriately...mostly I would love to use this app to access my entire photo collection on the go, or to download movies and what not while out of the house.
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast