Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    This "PreVNC" has really has nothing to do with VNC. It is not a VNC client, if it only connects to the included MS-Windows-Only program. Very misleading!!! A VNC client should work with any VNC server running on any OS (Linux, MacOS, MS-Windows, etc).. that is the whole point of VNC!

I suggest someone at least change the description in the app catalog...
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    This "PreVNC" has really has nothing to do with VNC. It is not a VNC client, if it only connects to the included MS-Windows-Only program. Very misleading!!! A VNC client should work with any VNC server running on any OS (Linux, MacOS, MS-Windows, etc).. that is the whole point of VNC!

I suggest someone at least change the description in the app catalog...
    i would suggest that you either thank the dev for his work or just move on. if you do not like it, don't use it. if you want something different, code it yourself.
    Is there any other reason besides the server not connecting as to why i have a blank screen? Im not sure what you mean by "setup port forwarding" if someone could tell me exactly how to do this? I thought i knew, but ....no. Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    i would suggest that you either thank the dev for his work or just move on. if you do not like it, don't use it. if you want something different, code it yourself.
    Nah crxssi is right. Don't get me wrong, this app is great even in its current limited form. But using the term VNC in the name is highly misleading, since any VNC server is expected to work with any VNC client and vice versa. From the Wikipedia entry on VNC: "In computing, Virtual Network Computing (VNC) is a graphical desktop sharing system that uses the RFB protocol to remotely control another computer." An app that does not use RFP is not VNC, as commonly understood.
    Right, which is why I brought that up 2 pages ago >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    I agree with the other two, by definition VNC uses a specific protocol open to all clients and servers which truly support VNC, It may be the app is in development and just has an interesting way of rendering things, rather an alpha stage application rather than a release.

However, if it is not a VNC app it should, by no great leap of expectation, not contain 'VNC' in its name. It is very misleading and could cause many people to be very disappointeed as would be apparent if the creater reveals this.

Right now it's no big deal, but if I paid money or donated only to learn that this is not a VNC application and only a cheep knock off, I would not be happy,

I don't think anyone would be very happy if they bought an app called "Math Blaster" (Thinking back to that old game for the PC) only to find it's a calculator.
    Am I doing something wrong here? I installed ipk via quick install, which opens just fine. But the .exe on my desktop will not open. Getting error message that says "the application failed to initialize properly". Tried to delete, reinstall get the same message.
    Quote Originally Posted by deepthoughtsoftware View Post
    The file that is posted is a zip package, it contains the Server App, and the ipk, you will have to download and install the app using WebOS QuickInstall
    Downloading directly with file coaster will not work sorry, Due to the server app needing to be packaged with the download.

The server app is specificaly wrote to work with the pre app, so other vnc applications such as tightvnc will not work at the moment, possibly in the future this will change.

If you get a blank white screen its possible that it wasnt able to connect to the server, will look into it and see about better reporting.
    I also get the white screen, even though I get a message saying that I successfully connected to the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by b4n4n4 View Post
    I also get the white screen, even though I get a message saying that I successfully connected to the server.
    Try typing in http://yourAddressHere:Port#
    (filling in values)

If that doesn't work try adding a password when you open up the server app (will glitch if you start the server and then try to add a password)
    Or changing the Port Number

And it will always say connected even if it is lying
    I've managed to get it to work (if you need a walkthrough I can provide a brief one if you PM me.) but it seems to be very buggy, it will work fine for a while, then if I disconnect and try to reconnect it won't work, a few minutes later I try to reconnect, then it works. Seems quite sporadic.

Also, as others have said, the server doesn't seem to shut down properly.

These honestly aren't complaints, just constructive comments, I LOVE this app, it's incredible, keep up the good work! :-)
    Wake up, Mr. Freeman, wake up and... smell the ashes.

My theme: Minimalist+

$5 app icons for webOS developers!
    White or Gray screen?
    MUST ADD PORT #. example: 192.168.1.2:5900
    Thanks for this. So cool. However I can not enable input in PreVNC Options. I do have two mice (mouses lol) on my host desktop?
    So I guess this got taken down? None of the links are working and can not find it in the homebrew section?
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

Yeah, it's because he called it VNC, which got everyone excited but it wasn't really VNC and he agreed to change the name so he's probably taken it down for some rewriting so he doesn't throw any more people off.

When I say it wasn't really VNC, I mean it's just a screenshot grabber, similar to how VNC operates but it usually uses much smaller clusters and updates only what changes instead of everything, but uses a completely different protocol, one that hasn't been developed for years and is compatible with other servers.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    it does appear to have been pulled off the homebrew section
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I have added the port and still nothing??? i have added a port before for remote desktop and no issues there!!
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I just downloaded the zip file and was not able to install the exe on my PC. Running XP SP3. I keep getting the following error "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)

Any ideas why?
  18.    #78  
    I took down the app to change the name, It is now called RemoteWin.
    A new version has been uploaded and should appear soon.
    Sorry about the VNC confusion
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    So I guess this got taken down? None of the links are working and can not find it in the homebrew section?
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/274448453/Desktop.rar

http://hotfile.com/dl/11291309/9145967/Desktop.rar.html

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=90PZ8OW0

http://uploading.com/files/HFRJ7E98/Desktop.rar.html

http://www.mediafire.com/?o5tyjjdmyym
    feel free to put on main post
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Try typing in http://yourAddressHere:Port#
    (filling in values)

If that doesn't work try adding a password when you open up the server app (will glitch if you start the server and then try to add a password)
    Or changing the Port Number

And it will always say connected even if it is lying
    GREAT WORK! Deepthought. For some of you having issues connecting to the servers end. On windows go to start menu >type cmd> then you type ipconfig in the black box. the prompt tells you exactly what your ipv4 address is (take note/copy this info) Then you go to PreVNC right click the application and select "run as administrator" >the PreVNC will bypass any security measures letting you able to use it anyway. Make sure on advance tab you selected ipv4. (I think it's already selected as ipv4 by default) Then on connection's tab, select a listening port (by default its 5900) then can put your password in if u want to. (highly recommended) >then go back to server info tab
    and click on start PreVNC server. If you have firewall turned on it should prompt you for access.

Now go onto your pre and tap PreVNC.. type your ipv4 address your input should look like this http://xxx.xxx.xxx:5900. Then put in your password that you created on PreVNC server's end. Connect and happy beta testing!

if your screen is half white and half showing your desktop it's normal not mention it's still in beta stages but that's not a problem for me because I can actually zoom in myself and picture perfect.

****1 bug actually found so far when I open my google chrome browser from my pre's end and I type "www.bankofamerica.com" I end up typing "www?bankofamerica?com" which actually means the period "." is actually mistaken for a "?" other than that no complaints so far. ****

Let u know that's I've donated. This app is of great use for me. goodluck everyone.
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast