Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Im also new to this remote access scene but would I be able to access files on my computer like playing mp3's, editing word documents etc???
    Vis
    How do I set up port forwarding?
    THANK YOU!

I was looking for this the other day
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Thank you for this. I'm trying to get this working with realvnc but its not working. It would be great for this to work with any vnc server and not have to install another server on your machine.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acipollo View Post
    How do I set up port forwarding?
    You need to gain Administrator access to your router. From there, you can forward any data that comes into a particular port (or range of ports) to an individual machine on your home network.

You need to have access to your router...and you need to know the IP address of the computer you want to have remote access to (even if you only have one machine on your "network").

Each router is different (although most folks seem to have a Linksys router that they bought from Best Buy). If you can get access to your router's configuration screen, look for something related to either "Port Forwarding" or "Applications" or "Gaming". This is usually where it's at.

Basically, you're telling the router "I want you to forward anything that comes into THIS port over to THAT computer".
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    On my Linksys router, I used the following settings...

Application - VNC (this is just a label)
    Start - 5900
    End - 5900
    Protocol - Both
    IP Address - 200
    Enable - Checked (make sure, after you add the info, you check the box to "enable" that particular port to forward)

* The "192.168.0." is preset..."200" is the internal IP address of my particular desktop machine. If you're not sure what your computer's IP address is, go to "Start", then "Run", type in "CMD" and press enter. At the command prompt, type in "ipconfig"....it will tell you your IP address.
    That's pretty much what I did. I re-entered the settings again and am still getting the white screen. Gonna try turning off windows firewall to see if that has any affect.
    Vis
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    holy crap, I need to try this out tonight! If it works out the way I want, i will donate!
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    So if this is not compatible with all the other VNC servers.. then is it really a VNC client?
    While this is THE one app I've been waiting for.. I have to say I'm bummed to see it requires a special server app... the standards are there, why not make a universal client?
    Don't take this complaining... but I hope your statement about possibly in the future (VNC compatibility) comes true.
    You guys don't have to use port fowarding or mess with your router at all if you are on the same network as the computer you are trying to connect to.

I.e. if your Pre is on your WiFi network at home you can try out the app without messing with your router. You only need to port foward to connect to your machine while you are out and about.
    Any chance we can get this to work over an SSH tunnel?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    You guys don't have to use port fowarding or mess with your router at all if you are on the same network as the computer you are trying to connect to.

I.e. if your Pre is on your WiFi network at home you can try out the app without messing with your router. You only need to port foward to connect to your machine while you are out and about.
    Yeah, for me, that's the whole point of this...to be able to access my computer when I'm not at home.

I full-on geek'd this one! I RDC'd into my home computer from work, installed the app, forwarded the port, and connected...all from my desk at work!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Great work - just accessed my computer at work!

Seems quite slow, however. Any thoughts as to why that could be?
    FYI Shutting off windows firewall has no affect
    Vis
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    If this helps anyone...here's the OTA link that I used (via filecoaster) to install the .ipk onto my Pre.

http://members.cox.net/kathyiwalani/..._1.0.0_all.ipk
    tried that link and now that i see it without it being underlined i see the underscores i missed
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post

Works for me at home on wifi, but not sure why I can't use it when I turn wifi off?
    Do I need to put the addy of my port forward setting or the pc addy that worked on wifi???
    I have to ask,
    As named a VNC app, I would expect it to follow the RFB protocol common to other VNC applications meaning it is inherently compatible with other VNC servers...

So, is this actually a VNC application that is just in the very initial stages and more of a proof-of-concept and will quickly get workable to the scale of other comparable mobile VNC solutions, or is it simply a screen-capture/display app?
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genEric122 View Post
    Works for me at home on wifi, but not sure why I can't use it when I turn wifi off?
    Do I need to put the addy of my port forward setting or the pc addy that worked on wifi???
    You need to put your EXTERNAL IP address, a colon, and the port you forwarded...

ex. 135.47.121.7:4900
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Getting the white screen here too?? I have port forwarding set up to match my remote desktop! RD works no prob. Different ports so should be fine. Any ideas out there? Running a dlink router. Says connected on the bottom of the screen but that's it??

any help would be much appreciated.
    As stated before, get it working with standard VNC servers and you got my donation.
    Quote Originally Posted by genEric122 View Post
    In addition to adding the port forward to your home router, you'll need to find out your home router's external IP address. You can easily do this using IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup or one of a dozen other "What is My IP" websites. Then, when you're not on your home network (using EVDO or someone else's Wi-Fi) use that external address.

The next step to make things even easier is to get dynamic DNS running. I use DynDNS.org, which is free and my Linksys router automatically notifies DynDNS if my cable-modem-given IP address changes.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast