Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by getmoneyeveryday View Post
    Turning off UAC won't do a damn thing and not recommened. The problem starts with opening ports on the server's end to allow acess to your pre using dyndns.com I will need basic instructions how to get this working on my pre I'm while away from my home office network. DEEPTHOUGHT, perhaps you can help us.. I don't know first thing about hosting with ip but I already created a free account with dyndns.com for starters. So tell me how to use it?

Once you have signed up for a dyndns.com account, they will send you a confirmation email. Click the link in the email and it will take you to your account page. Look for the option to "Add New Hostname" (or try https://www.dyndns.com/account/services/hosts/add.html) which will allow you to create your personal URL.

Next, simply download the DynDns Updater from the support page of the dyndns.com site (direct link: http://cdn.dyndns.com/windows/DynUpSetup-4.1.2.exe)

Once you download the updater and install it on the same computer as the "PreVNC server" , it will ask you for your DynDns login / password. After that, it will verify your account and pull down your dyndns information as well as update your ip address with dyndns and you are all set to use your MYNAME.DYNDNS.COM or whatever URL you signed up for.

Hope that helps!

Mugg
    what exactly do i need to do in port forwarding to make this work. port forwarding is checked. do i need to add a custom service?
    Im getting the blank white screen too. Is there something I'm doing wrong with my router setup. Is this really that complicated?
    I'm getting the white screen too. Am I doing something wrong with router setup?
    sorry dont know how to use this site yet. trying to post this where i was reading all the comments on the subject i was needing help with, and it keeps changing
    I think that it needs to hava a place to put the port # in other than in the address bar. Also if you can have it save the last info that you used. I am going to be long into the same computer every time. And last i am trying to use the shift button on the phone to capslock something on the remote computer but it will not let me. i was wanting to see if that has being worked on or if there is something i need to do differently. thank you foe making this software. It is saving may *** and i am donating some money to help. Thank you again.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I've been able to get this to work over wifi, but not over evdo via my dyndns address. Finally I tried it via the direct IP address and that did the trick! I know the dyndns info is up-to-date, so I'm a bit perplexed. Anyway, it's great to get it to work over evdo finally!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugg View Post
    Once you have signed up for a dyndns.com account, they will send you a confirmation email. Click the link in the email and it will take you to your account page. Look for the option to "Add New Hostname" (or try https://www.dyndns.com/account/services/hosts/add.html) which will allow you to create your personal URL.

Next, simply download the DynDns Updater from the support page of the dyndns.com site (direct link: http://cdn.dyndns.com/windows/DynUpSetup-4.1.2.exe)

Once you download the updater and install it on the same computer as the "PreVNC server" , it will ask you for your DynDns login / password. After that, it will verify your account and pull down your dyndns information as well as update your ip address with dyndns and you are all set to use your MYNAME.DYNDNS.COM or whatever URL you signed up for.

Hope that helps!

Mugg
    The 2nd link.. is what I needed and been looking for that for a while. Thanks for showing me the ropes. I finally got it set up and now its updating my external ip address with my free domain name. Can't seem to connect over evdo.. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. from the pre's end I put http://myname.dyndnas.com and a password, that's about it. I'm seeing the white or grey blank screen that everybody's talking about.

I also have Deepthroat's RemoteWin running server on the desktop I don't know if that's necessary while having dyndns updater running next to it.

But when I connect at home via wifi I put http://192.xxx.xxx.xxx:5900 and password.. no issues there.

Need help here. I'm trying to figure what to do here while making it successfully work. What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    I've been able to get this to work over wifi, but not over evdo via my dyndns address. Finally I tried it via the direct IP address and that did the trick! I know the dyndns info is up-to-date, so I'm a bit perplexed. Anyway, it's great to get it to work over evdo finally!
    HOw?? What direct IP address? Are you sure u were connected via evdo?
    HOPEFULLY A HELPFUL WALKTHROUGH

First things first: download the exe and install it on the machine you want to remote into. (BTW, this will be a windows only walkthrough, I don't know about mac/linux.) Second, install the ipkg through WebOS quick install. There are lots of helpful threads on Precentral to help you figure out Quick Install if you haven't used it yet.

Then, your run the server exe on the machine you're going to remote into, and set up a password first. You'll need this when logging in from your Pre. Second, you MIGHT want to change the default port number from 5000 to whatever you may want. In this walkthrough, I'm going to use the default, 5000. If you change this default port, just use it in place of 5000 whenever I reference it.

Now, click start, then find the run command. Alternatively, press Windowskey+R.
    - When you're at the run command, type 'cmd' and press enter.
    - A black and white window will come up. Type 'ipconfig' and press enter. A whole bunch of text will come up.
    - Under IPv4 Address, you'll see a number PROBABLY like 192.168.1.X. This is your INTERNAL IP address. You'll need it for port forwarding.
    - Now, set up port forwarding for your router, with your internal IP address and port number 5000. I'm afraid that routers vary too much to explain how to port forward here, check here: PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall

After you're done port forwarding, go back to the server app, and click the "Start RemoteWin Server" button.

You're almost set. Next, find out your EXTERNAL IP at What Is My IP Address? You'll need this IP when logging into your machine from your pre.

Now, go to the RemoteWin app on your pre. The host address will be your EXTERNAL IP plus the port you're using (default 5000.) Something like this: XX.XXX.XX.XXX:5000 where X's are your IP.

Enter your password in the app.

Press Login, and you should be golden! It's best to try this over IP on your own wifi network first, since this app is *COUGH*BUGGY*COUGH*.

Hope this helps, if you have any problems feel free to ask. (Although I have a hard time keeping up with this forum...)

If this post is helpful, I'd appreciate it being edited into the original thread post, or stickied.
    Wake up, Mr. Freeman, wake up and... smell the ashes.

My theme: Minimalist+

$5 app icons for webOS developers!
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I also have Deepthroat's RemoteWin running server on the desktop I don't know if that's necessary while having dyndns updater running next to it.
    Yes, the server must run - it's what lets you see your desktop. DynDNS just lets you give an easy-to-remember name for where your desktop is located.

HOw?? What direct IP address? Are you sure u were connected via evdo?
    Use this to find out your direct IP address.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to use a DDNS address on EVDO yet (instead of their IP address)?

That is something like: http://mypc.homedns.org:5000

instead of: http://123.12.15.190:5000
    Check Page 9's comments by jwdv22. This worked for me on wifi on and off.
    Quote Originally Posted by RottingOrange View Post
    HOPEFULLY A HELPFUL WALKTHROUGH

First things first: download the exe and install it on the machine you want to remote into. (BTW, this will be a windows only walkthrough, I don't know about mac/linux.) Second, install the ipkg through WebOS quick install. There are lots of helpful threads on Precentral to help you figure out Quick Install if you haven't used it yet.

Then, your run the server exe on the machine you're going to remote into, and set up a password first. You'll need this when logging in from your Pre. Second, you MIGHT want to change the default port number from 5000 to whatever you may want. In this walkthrough, I'm going to use the default, 5000. If you change this default port, just use it in place of 5000 whenever I reference it.

Now, click start, then find the run command. Alternatively, press Windowskey+R.
    - When you're at the run command, type 'cmd' and press enter.
    - A black and white window will come up. Type 'ipconfig' and press enter. A whole bunch of text will come up.
    - Under IPv4 Address, you'll see a number PROBABLY like 192.168.1.X. This is your INTERNAL IP address. You'll need it for port forwarding.
    - Now, set up port forwarding for your router, with your internal IP address and port number 5000. I'm afraid that routers vary too much to explain how to port forward here, check here: PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall

After you're done port forwarding, go back to the server app, and click the "Start RemoteWin Server" button.

You're almost set. Next, find out your EXTERNAL IP at What Is My IP Address? You'll need this IP when logging into your machine from your pre.

Now, go to the RemoteWin app on your pre. The host address will be your EXTERNAL IP plus the port you're using (default 5000.) Something like this: XX.XXX.XX.XXX:5000 where X's are your IP.

Enter your password in the app.

Press Login, and you should be golden! It's best to try this over IP on your own wifi network first, since this app is *COUGH*BUGGY*COUGH*.

Hope this helps, if you have any problems feel free to ask. (Although I have a hard time keeping up with this forum...)

If this post is helpful, I'd appreciate it being edited into the original thread post, or stickied.
    HO HO!!!!
    Your guide was beautiful. I finally got it to work. For the first time connected outside my home office over Evdo I saw my desktop on the Pre's end.. Then somehow the Pre then froze. I was waiting about 10-15 minutes for something else to happen as I kept pressing and holding the power/off and home buttons with no response! You're right there is a bug! So I end up taking the battery out and reboot the pre. This has happened to me before when I was within my home office network and connected via wifi. I would definitely donate for this outstanding app!

Perhaps we should help him list and identify a few bugs that are in the works..to improve this program?
    For example.. All the keys are not syncing correctly.
    I hold the orange key and 5.. I get "??" or sometimes "?F" or "??5"
    I press .(period) ... I get "?"
    I haven't tested all keyboard inputs but just one of the bugs that renders the keyboard useless. Deepthroat I hope you fix this in the next update.

I agree with rottingorange its better to connect from outside via wifi than evdo but not because its *cough*buggy*cough* but because it's very slooow (depending on your wireless data coverage). So wifi is the best choice to connect remotely.
    Ah, glad it worked getmoneyeveryday, hope I can grab a "Thanks!"

I agree with you about EVDO, it's just too slow to be very useful unless you have 1. A really good 3G connection, 2. A need greate enough to take the few minutes it might take just to email yourself something.

Still, the potential is there, and it's pretty sweet.

Yeah, I'm all for starting a bug list:

#1 Keyboard doesn't operate well at all.
    #2 Single click, double click, and right click seems to be sometimes mixed up: single click will double click, right click will left click, etc.
    #3 Sometimes the app doesn't seem to connect properly at all and needs to be restarted before it will connect right.

Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to use a DDNS address on EVDO yet (instead of their IP address)?

That is something like: http://mypc.homedns.org:5000

instead of: http://123.12.15.190:5000
    YES. I was able to connect at http: // mydomainname.dns. com:5900
    This means I have mine set at 5900. You can set it at whatever number you like. Just make sure WinRemote is listening on 5900 and your Router's portforwarding is set at 5900.
    Quote Originally Posted by RottingOrange View Post
    Ah, glad it worked getmoneyeveryday, hope I can grab a "Thanks!"

I agree with you about EVDO, it's just too slow to be very useful unless you have 1. A really good 3G connection, 2. A need greate enough to take the few minutes it might take just to email yourself something.

Still, the potential is there, and it's pretty sweet.

Yeah, I'm all for starting a bug list:

#1 Keyboard doesn't operate well at all.
    #2 Single click, double click, and right click seems to be sometimes mixed up: single click will double click, right click will left click, etc.
    #3 Sometimes the app doesn't seem to connect properly at all and needs to be restarted before it will connect right.
    There ya go. ;-)
    anyway to listen to itunes over pre?
    rottingorange graciously helped me get it all working, now if i could listen to itunes it would be perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by swany17 View Post
    rottingorange graciously helped me get it all working, now if i could listen to itunes it would be perfect
    I don't think that's possible with this app.

You have to look elsewhere. there is a homebrew app called "media remote" that let's you control your itunes remotely. But I've never tried that one before. go check it out. Here:

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...nes-winamp-ect
    Last edited by getmoneyeveryday; 09/04/2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: forgot to add link
    Quote Originally Posted by swany17 View Post
    Afraid that's not possible. The bandwidth requirements alone required of listening to audio from your computer through your Pre make it practically impossible on the Pre. Streaming services like Pandora use advanced VBR's and compression to enable it on the Pre, and even that will use up most of a standard EVDO bandwidth.

The iTunes media remote is only a REMOTE: it controls iTunes on your computer, but it will not play music itself.

Would be absolutely awesome if it would though, lol, too bad.