Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Looks like it could be a great app but I have two issues with it so far (aside from not supporting Homebrew in the launcher).

1. Weather doesn't update on the home screen unless I tap the weather and then go back to the main screen.

2. Seems to be a memory leak. I had this and Messaging (official) apps open and tried to open my email only to be told I had too many cards open. Had to reboot my phone to be able to open anything else. I have not have this issue since early July and the only new thing I have installed since yesterday was this. Is anyone else seeing the same thing or just me?

Otherwise it's looking like a nice app.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Current shell: launchbar at the bottom, desktop background, slider with all your apps when hitting the black button on the right.

AHS would need to completely replace this in order to be useful to me. Now it's running on a card like every other app.
    But I don't understand. How is this different?

You said "Current shell: launchbar at the bottom." Well, AHS has a launchbar NEAR the bottom. Is the fact that it's an inch above the absolute bottom on the screen the problem?

You said "desktop background." Well, AHS has a background. So, this can't be the difference.

You said "slider with all your apps when hitting the black button on the right." OK, this part is an issue: you cannot access non-native apps (app catalog or homebrew) from AHS. Is that the problem? Or is it that you want a black button at the bottom of the screen and nothing else will do?

So, other than the lack of access to non-native apps, I simply do not see how it's different.

What aspect of the way it works not has reduced it to be not-useful?
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    mapara, I am NOT trolling. Thank you. The fact that someone questions the usefulness of something in a paid-app context doesn't automatically mean he's a troll. I've made 370 posts on this forum so far so I'm pretty sure most people know this.

Also, you can't have a paid version in the app store and also have it for free on here. It would need to be some crippled demo version.

I'm sorry my opinion pisses you off but it doesn't give you the right to call me a troll.
    Why "some crippled demo version"? No, that's wrong. You can have many similar products - Ubuntu / Kubuntu, openSUSE / paid SUSE, AHS / GHS etc.

I am NOT working on ONE thing. I have stuff ready for Palm and I have stuff ready for Precentral.

One more time: I will always keep (at least) one free "BETA" version of *HS (or w/e) here on Precentral. I like homebrew and I'm going to stay here.

Why is this preview "crippled"? It's not. It's damn beta. Everything here is beta.

We're still working on 0.3.5 and it'll be publicly available in 2-3 weeks. Is Vista a "crippled demo" just because MS works on 7?

Someone said something like "people are assuming it'll be full paid app" -well, people are wrong.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icthusman1 View Post
    Looks like it could be a great app but I have two issues with it so far (aside from not supporting Homebrew in the launcher).

1. Weather doesn't update on the home screen unless I tap the weather and then go back to the main screen.

2. Seems to be a memory leak. I had this and Messaging (official) apps open and tried to open my email only to be told I had too many cards open. Had to reboot my phone to be able to open anything else. I have not have this issue since early July and the only new thing I have installed since yesterday was this. Is anyone else seeing the same thing or just me?

Otherwise it's looking like a nice app.
    Weather updates every 10 minutes, but Yahoo updates their RSS feed every 20 mins - 57 hours.

Don't have any problems with memory, AHS is running 24/7 and still can open everything I want (4 of my apps + where, LikeMe, Tweed are running ATM - no memory error). My last reboot was maybe 2 months ago.

Screenshot added.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mapara; 09/02/2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mapara View Post
    Weather updates every 10 minutes, but Yahoo updates their RSS feed every 20 mins - 57 hours.
    But here's the thing that may not be clear to us end-users: why does it update when we tap on the weather graphic?

For example, before heading to lunch today, I looked at AHS to see the temperature. It said "65 degrees" (well, the symbol, not the word). I tapped the sun and "Weather Info" came up and it showed 72 degrees. A backswipe on the gesture bar and I see "00" on AHS for a second, and then 72 degrees.

No way it changed from 65 to 72 in a matter of minutes (10, by my understanding). As an ignorant end user, it looks to me like it didn't update since a few hours earlier.

And it doesn't seem like it's Yahoo's fault, since I'm able to get an update by tapping the sun.

In other words, does tapping the weather icon do anything different from what you do every 10 minutes?
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    But here's the thing that may not be clear to us end-users: why does it update when we tap on the weather graphic?

For example, before heading to lunch today, I looked at AHS to see the temperature. It said "65 degrees" (well, the symbol, not the word). I tapped the sun and "Weather Info" came up and it showed 72 degrees. A backswipe on the gesture bar and I see "00" on AHS for a second, and then 72 degrees.

No way it changed from 65 to 72 in a matter of minutes (10, by my understanding). As an ignorant end user, it looks to me like it didn't update since a few hours earlier.

And it doesn't seem like it's Yahoo's fault, since I'm able to get an update by tapping the sun.

In other words, does tapping the weather icon do anything different from what you do every 10 minutes?
    Not sure why.
    I will have to switch to WeatherBug.

Probably two different Yahoo weather feeds.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Well, Yahoo says "mostly cloudy" for my location -- but there's not one single cloud in the sky right now.
    Fair enough. So what is the difference between the palm and the precentral version?
    I like the Eaagle, Globe and Anchor background. Semper Fi.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mapara View Post
    Not sure why.
    I will have to switch to WeatherBug.

Probably two different Yahoo weather feeds.
    Do you have different calls for the auto (10 minute) update vs. the manual (tapping the graphic)? If not, I'd assume they were the same feed, no?

Plus, as I said, when I return from the weather setup page, it does refresh.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Fair enough. So what is the difference between the palm and the precentral version?
    There's no AHS for App catalog. Palm asked for something else.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Do you have different calls for the auto (10 minute) update vs. the manual (tapping the graphic)? If not, I'd assume they were the same feed, no?

Plus, as I said, when I return from the weather setup page, it does refresh.
    Bug maybe? Can't tell right now. Will be fixed in next version. Thanks for letting me know.
    Outside of the issues that have been stated (home brew app in launcher, battery life) I have no problems with this app. So far this is the only card that I've deemed worthy to keep up all the time.

One suggestion tho. Can you make the quick call icon a little bigger? If the phone worked with a stylus it would be a non-issue
    I'm just going to have to say I'd rather see this NOT in a card - I'm sure its been said already but wanted to cast my vote / opinion on this. This app needs to always be visible in the background w/ the ability to bring in front or minimize the cards to view this app at anytime. When i have several applications open, i dont want to have to keep flipping to get back to this app.. and I also don't EVER want this app to be able to be closed by flicking it off like a card.

Essentially I want this for the palm pre -
    SPB Pocket Plus Pocket PC Software SPB Software

It's the only thing I'm missing right now from any of my past phones - A customized summary screen that shows me the status of messages, and upcoming tasks / calendar events.

Just some thoughts!

-D2G
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d2globalinc View Post
    I'm just going to have to say I'd rather see this NOT in a card - I'm sure its been said already but wanted to cast my vote / opinion on this. This app needs to always be visible in the background w/ the ability to bring in front or minimize the cards to view this app at anytime. When i have several applications open, i dont want to have to keep flipping to get back to this app.. and I also don't EVER want this app to be able to be closed by flicking it off like a card.
    Here's a tip: Add AHS as an icon on your launcher bar (the built-in one). Then, wherever you are, you can simply slide up from the launcher area to display the "wave." Pick the AHS icon. And, presto, it comes to the front. Or opens if you accidentally closed it.

This, I'm guessing, is exactly the behavior you want! The only thing that's perhaps different is that you can't make it the icon that's the furthest to the right. Other than that one thing (which I'll bet someone will eventually figure out how to work around), is there anything different from what you want and I'm suggesting?

Works like a charm for me.
    Here's a tip: Add AHS as an icon on your launcher bar (the built-in one). Then, wherever you are, you can simply slide up from the launcher area to display the "wave." Pick the AHS icon. And, presto, it comes to the front. Or opens if you accidentally closed it.

This, I'm guessing, is exactly the behavior you want! The only thing that's perhaps different is that you can't make it the icon that's the furthest to the right. Other than that one thing (which I'll bet someone will eventually figure out how to work around), is there anything different from what you want and I'm suggesting?

I was just signing to say the exact same thing. The pre simply doesn't lend itself to the home screen methedology. Unless you are a single card user, youu have to press something to bring up the "home screen". Rigt now using the wave bar works pretty well. It'd be even better if thee pre allowed reassigning of the button or added a double button tap shortcut.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d2globalinc View Post

It's the only thing I'm missing right now from any of my past phones - A customized summary screen that shows me the status of messages, and upcoming tasks / calendar events.
    Agree with first comment. Agree ten-fold on the second comment!!!!
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Nice.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Did this "preview" break filecoaster and preware for anyone else? When I uninstalled this, they both started working again. I like the concept, but really want this to replace my home scree, not be a card. I know it is probably too much to ask without Palm's help. Hopefully Palm takes some queues from this.
    i dont really get the big difference of having this be the home screen rather then a card... i mean if its the last card on the screen and you unlock the phone it goes straight there... if your in another card and want it up just make it a shortcut on the wave and bam its to the front when u click it... or if you close something out and its the last card left then simple re-enlarge it... if it was the home screen replacement it would still get covered with cards so whats the difference. personally i like having the option of using this or keeping my regular home screen... requires no hacking this way.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast