Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    ^ Still like the concept however.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mainevent3405 View Post
    No, it's NOT his imagination. I have my battery percentage showing up next to my battery (top right hand corner of my screen-via tweaks) and since I've had this app running, I literally see my battery draining like every 4-5 minutes it goes down 1-2%. When I deleted it, my battery didn't drain 1-2% for at least 30-35 min.
    Ok so 2% every 5 minutes - that's 100% in 4 hrs right?

I'm gonna try it. Will let you guys know in 4 hours.

Should I turn off my emails? I have 10 accounts constantly checking for new emails (every second or so).

--------------------------------------------------------
    OK. Started at 9:56 PST with 100%.

10:56 PST - 93% (all email accounts up and running as always, wifi turned on)
    So it's 7% in 60 minutes (vs 20% reported by mainevent3405)

No point doing this any longer.

AHS makes 2 internet connections every 10 minutes. My email app hundreds.
    Last edited by mapara; 09/02/2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: updates
    No, it's NOT his imagination. I have my battery percentage showing up next to my battery (top right hand corner of my screen-via tweaks) and since I've had this app running, I literally see my battery draining like every 4-5 minutes it goes down 1-2%. When I deleted it, my battery didn't drain 1-2% for at least 30-35 min.
    Ive noticed from DAY ONE of having my pre, that the battery dips 1-2% in under 5 min intervals when it is kept 'active'. If you dont let the phone sleep, this would be normal. In my office, where I go between roaming and on-network constantly, I (at worst) get through the 8 hr day without any additional charging. This includes taking notes in meetings, setting tasks and calendar events, sending texts/IMs constantly, as well using it as my roll-a-dex when calling up vendors (cant use the phone as even the roaming signal is weak as hell).

Its taken me 4 minutes to write this, and so far, my batt still hasnt dropped a % point and Im running AHS

Not trying to sound skeptical, but perhaps it is something else contributing to battery drain? connection? WiFi? etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by sookibong View Post
    This is a good point, though the idea of customizing the UI is still tempting.

A question: Is it possible for developers to set options for how a card is viewed? For instance it would be awesome if AHS could somehow default to full screen every time you unlocked the phone, kind of pretending to be the UI.
    At the very least, it would be nice if we could at least use a picture in our phone so that the app screen can look like our Pre desktop.

Lovin' the app, otherwise.
    erm.. Productively, can someone tell me how this app is useful? I got to say its beautiful and cool looking app. But if I tap one of the icons (ex.email app). it basically goes into card view and pulls up the original email app. Pretty much relying on every function the phone already has. What else is new? I like the interface.. VERY COOL :-)
    Okay then I close the email app and bring up the AHS on my screen. That it! If the this was fully integrated into the webos that would be a whole different story. Other than that it's a nice toy to play with.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Agree with much of the issues already stated. Can't add home brews, not in the actual UI, etc. It is a neat idea, but I can't see myself paying for it. If it were the actual home page... I would drop 10-15 bucks.
    Last edited by ospreyguy; 09/02/2009 at 06:44 AM. Reason: just 'cause.
    ouch. that tweak kills the pre's battery. just sayin'.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mapara View Post
    You have to ask Palm. :|

But think about it this way: do you really want some 3rd party app to make changes to your system files? What if something goes wrong and you won't be able to use your phone until it's completely reinstalled...

Now imagine 1000s of people calling Sprint tech support, sending their phones for repair etc.

With card, you can always close it or uninstall with no impact on your system.
    These are good point but how many of us here made changes or flashed our WinMo devices? There is a way to flash the OS back to the factory default. I think this would be a case of user beware. I too would like to see this replace my "home screen." This is what I envisioned WebOS to be when I first heard about its launch.

Great job.
    i500 --> Treo650 --> PPC6700 --> MotoQ --> Instinct --> Treo800w --> HTC Mogul/Palm Prē
    Ever since I installed this app yesterday my phone has been acting weird. For example sometimes when I'm in a launcher page and I tap to scroll up, it will scroll down or to the side. Also, every other app seems to take longer to load.
    You have to ask Palm. :|

But think about it this way: do you really want some 3rd party app to make changes to your system files? What if something goes wrong and you won't be able to use your phone until it's completely reinstalled...

Now imagine 1000s of people calling Sprint tech support, sending their phones for repair etc.

With card, you can always close it or uninstall with no impact on your system.
    Decent points. But really, this app is really *meant* to be a home screen, and it probably won't get a ton of traction unless / until that is possible. A regular app is just not as convenient.

The old PalmOS has several alternative launchers available (I use one on my Treo) and they add a lot of utility by just "being there" all the time. (It's a completely different technical problem, of course.)
    Is there a way to add homebrew apps to the launchbar?
    I agree that this app has very little value when you can't use it as an actual 'shell replacement'. Running this on a regular card kind of reduces it to 'a very cool tech demo' in my opinion.

So, as impressive as this may be, I don't see myself paying for this in its current state.
    Wohooo a free version finally. This will hopefully get rid of the people who constantly were moaning about having to donate from the paid version thread.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I don't see myself paying for this in its current state.
    Your reading skills need some improvement... ٩๏̯͡๏۶

Download here for free: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...n-029b-preview

That means: you don't have to pay.

One more time (just for you): YOU. DON'T. HAVE. TO. PAY. BECAUSE. IT'S. AVAILABLE. FOR. FREE.

Should I draw a picture?
    Your reading skills need some improvement... ٩๏̯͡๏۶

Download here for free: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...n-029b-preview

That means: you don't have to pay.

One more time (just for you): YOU. DON'T. HAVE. TO. PAY. BECAUSE. IT'S. AVAILABLE. FOR. FREE.

Should I draw a picture?
    I believe it's assumed that once this is out of beta the app will have to be purchased. Marco was simply stating that based on the app's current functionality he wouldn't be inclined to purchase it. Be chill man
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    I believe it's assumed that once this is out of beta the app will have to be purchased. Marco was simply stating that based on the app's current functionality he wouldn't be inclined to purchase it. Be chill man
    Nah, I said (at least 5 times) that I will always keep one free version here on Precentral. He's just trolling.
    mapara, I am NOT trolling. Thank you. The fact that someone questions the usefulness of something in a paid-app context doesn't automatically mean he's a troll. I've made 370 posts on this forum so far so I'm pretty sure most people know this.

Also, you can't have a paid version in the app store and also have it for free on here. It would need to be some crippled demo version.

I'm sorry my opinion pisses you off but it doesn't give you the right to call me a troll.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grantroot View Post
    Decent points. But really, this app is really *meant* to be a home screen, and it probably won't get a ton of traction unless / until that is possible. A regular app is just not as convenient.

The old PalmOS has several alternative launchers available (I use one on my Treo) and they add a lot of utility by just "being there" all the time. (It's a completely different technical problem, of course.)
    Not actually true. The old PalmOS did NOT let you replace their launcher. What was out there were apps.

The difference is that PalmOS wasn't "multitasking" (I use the term lightly) like WebOS. You didn't realize that the original launcher was still there.

The difference is that, in PalmOS, there was a "home" button that could be programmed to run any app (including a replacement "launcher"). And when you weren't in another program, the replacement launcher was still running.

The equivalent for WebOS would be to have the up-arrow button (right side of launcher bar) bring up AHS instead of the launcher. Maybe it should do that, but really... what's the benefit? You can simulate this by putting AHS on your launcher bar.

Now, it would be nice if there was a way for AHS to prompt you "are you sure?" if you try to close its card.

Now... as someone pointed out in the private beta thread, it'd be nice if there was an app that would display weather, calendar, e-mails, etc. while the Pre was locked (there are iPhone apps that do this).
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I agree that this app has very little value when you can't use it as an actual 'shell replacement'. Running this on a regular card kind of reduces it to 'a very cool tech demo' in my opinion.

So, as impressive as this may be, I don't see myself paying for this in its current state.
    Curious, what specifically do you see being the difference between this and a "shell replacement." What are the usage scenarios that would differ? How would the user experience differ?

I don't know... I've been using this as-is in the private beta for a bit now. It takes over my entire screen. When I launch an app, it disappears. When I close another app, there's the card for AHS, which I tap and it returns to take over my full screen.

Except for having to tap to bring it full screen, what's different about what I described and what you'd like?

I see many people complaining that AHS is close-to-worthless (heck, you've said it's nothing more than a "cool tech demo") because it's not a "homescreen replacement" or a "launcher replacement." And yet, having been a user for several weeks, I just don't see the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Curious, what specifically do you see being the difference between this and a "shell replacement."
    Current shell: launchbar at the bottom, desktop background, slider with all your apps when hitting the black button on the right.

AHS would need to completely replace this in order to be useful to me. Now it's running on a card like every other app.

I see many people complaining that AHS is close-to-worthless (heck, you've said it's nothing more than a "cool tech demo") because it's not a "homescreen replacement" or a "launcher replacement." And yet, having been a user for several weeks, I just don't see the difference.
    This isn't exact science. It's opinions and the way different people define certain things. If it works for you: great! It just doesn't for me in it's current state.

But it seems that saying anything else but ooooh! and aaaaah! results in the author calling posters a troll.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD