1.    #1  
    Unit Wizard - Unit and Number Converter

This is a conversion program for units and some numeric conversions. Initially the unit conversions supported is a short list of common ones, which I plan to grow over time.

Features of the program include:
    - swapping between from and to fields: units, values or both,
    - dark and light color themes,
    - preferences saved for color theme
    - last unit selections and input value saved on exit and restored on start
    - input field checked for proper unit format. Displays an inline error when invalid.
    - range checks on values. Displays an inline error message if a value is out of range for the unit, ex. negative values for Kelvin.

Supported conversions:

Area: Acres, Hectares, Square Centimeters, Square Feet, Square Feet(US Survey), Square Inches, Square Kilometers, Square Meters, Square Miles, Square Millimeters, Square Rods, Square Yards, Townships

Distance/Length: Angstroms, Astronomical Units, Centimeters, Chains, Fathoms, Feet, Feet (US Survey), Furlongs, Hands, Inches, Kilometers, Leagues, Light Years, Links, Meters, Miles (US Statute), Miles (International), Miles (Nautical), Miles (US Survey), Parsecs, Rods, Yards, Yards (US Survey)

Mass: Carats (metric), Grains, Grams, Hundredweight, Kilograms, Milligrams, Ounces, Pounds, Stones, Tons, Tonnes

Numeral Systems: Western Arabic, Roman Numerals

Speed: Centimetres/Minute, Centimetres/Second, Feet/Hour, Feet/Minute, Feet/Second, Inches/Minute, Inches/Second, Kilometres/Hour,
    Kilometres/Second, Knots, Mach, Meters/Hour, Meters/Minute,
    Meters/Second, Miles/Hour, Miles/Minute, Miles/Second, Yards/Hour,
    Yards/Minute, Yards/Second

Temperature: Celsius, Fahrenheit, Kelvin, Rankine, Reaumur

Torque: Dyne Centimeters, Gram Centimeters, Kilogram Centimeters, Newton Centimeters, Newton Meters, Ounce Inches, Pound Feet, Pound Inches

Volume: Barrels (Crude Oil), Bushels, Cubic Inches, Cubic Feet, Cubic Yards,
    Cubic Centimeters, Cubic Decimeters, Cubic Meters, Cups, Drams (Fluid), Gallons (US), Gallons (UK), Gills, Liters, Ounces (Fluid), Pecks, Pints (Dry), Pints (Fluid), Quarts (Dry), Quarts (Fluid), Milliliters, Tablespoons, Teaspoons

Note: Consider results of conversions to be beta. Perform a simple conversion check before using results for important tasks.

Changelog:
    0.0.2 - 31 Aug 2009. Initial release.
    0.0.3 - 5 Sep 2009. Add Mass, Torque. Add numlock(orange key). Remove keypress filter so all key hits are visible.

Todo:

More units to be added:
    - Coordinates (Cartesian, Geographic, Cylindrical)
    - date -> doy
    - kitchen units (separate category, easier to access)
    - pressure, density, angle, fuel consumption, energy, power, etc
    - ascii
    - numerals: Eastern Arabic (Arabic-Indic)
    - file and memory storage space (KB MB GB TB to bytes)
    - IEEE-754 Floating-Point Conversion to hex
    - decimal to fractions
    - suggestions??

Functionality to be added:
    -reset prefs
    - save last used units for each category
    -save conversions to a list
    -add reference pages
    -add multiconvert scene: show all conversion results simultaneously for
    units in a category
    -international number formatting (comma vs period in Europe)
    -fractional digits setting
    -suggestions??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rgordon; 09/05/2009 at 02:53 AM. Reason: add 0.0.3 release changes.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Like the app. So far just one suggestion, I'd like the input field to automatically input #'s instead of having to use the orange key to lock the #'s. Keep up the good work!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Like the app. So far just one suggestion, I'd like the input field to automatically input #'s instead of having to use the orange key to lock the #'s. Keep up the good work!
    Doh. Thats what I miss when I don't have a real phone yet

Thanks for the feedback. I hope that is the major issue with the below average ratings (anybody?).

Is that what happens when, for example, you make a phone call: the keys are automagically converted to numbers without the num-lock(orange?) key being used? I will have to dig through the reference code to see what Palm did.

Thanks again for the feedback. I will need someone to help me test this again when I put together a patch.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    you asked for a suggestion, I would love to see a conversion for inches to fractions and vice-versa. I am a carpenter and need this all the time.

Thanks!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by donjski View Post
    you asked for a suggestion, I would love to see a conversion for inches to fractions and vice-versa. I am a carpenter and need this all the time.

Thanks!
    Ah, interesting idea. I'm looking for things like this that would make the app unique and more useful than the generic converter.

So how would this work, convert a decimal value to the nearest 1/16" (adjustable 1/8, 1/32)?

Examples:
    5.52 = 5 1/2" (5.50 exactly)
    12.76 = 12 3/4" (12.75 exactly)
    6.2 = 6 3/16" (6.1875 exactly)

Any other examples to clarify?
    Once again, you want suggestions so here ya go.
    Cooking related measurements. Tablespoons, Teaspoons (1/4, 1/3 1/2), 1/4 Cup, 1/3 Cup, 1/2 Cup, 1 Cup, Tablespoon per Gallon, etc. Dry and wet please.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Unit conversions that I do frequuently dealing with motors
    Horsepower, W, KW, PS.
    Torque, lbf*ft, N*m..
    and over in R/C world I more often am looking to
    convert back and forth between tiny units of torque like
    lbf*in, N*cm, or most likely oz*in and kg*cm and such for servos

ian
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgordon View Post
    Ah, interesting idea. I'm looking for things like this that would make the app unique and more useful than the generic converter.

So how would this work, convert a decimal value to the nearest 1/16" (adjustable 1/8, 1/32)?

Examples:
    5.52 = 5 1/2" (5.50 exactly)
    12.76 = 12 3/4" (12.75 exactly)
    6.2 = 6 3/16" (6.1875 exactly)

Any other examples to clarify?
    convert a decimal value to the nearest 1/16 would be awesome. But would also be nice to see what fraction it may be close to.
    First off great app!

For a few suggestions:

I would like to see a Base converter. Decimal-to-Hex, Hex-to-Bininary, Binary-to-Decimal, that sort of thing.

Also I would really love to see the IEEE standard for converting decimal float-to-hex and hex-to-decimal float.
    IEEE-754 Floating-Point Conversion from Floating-Point to Hexadecimal
    IEEE-754 Floating-Point Conversion from 32-bit Hexadecimal to Floating-Point
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I love your app. I work with document storage and have to calculate required storage space. Would love a convertor for KB MB GB TB to bytes.

Thanks!!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    I think the numlock issue is fixed now. I just posted release 0.0.3 with a numlock preset for number fields. It should be published shortly. Still need to figure out capslock for the Roman Numerals.

Thanks everyone for the conversion suggestions. They are all good ideas and I have added them to my todo list. Will try to give them priority in the update queue!

With the 0.0.3 update, I have also removed the keypress filter which blocked characters which didn't match the field format. In hindsight, I think it was a bad idea to do this filtering. Now any character typed will show up in the input field, and a validation warning will be shown under the input field if something is wrong. This makes it more obvious when numlock or capslock has been changed. Let me know if that works better.

One of the next feature changes I want to implement is a save list. So tapping a save button will save the conversion to a new scene list. This would be useful for example where you make some measurements and then do conversions and want to reference them later such as when shopping for materials.

I also want to add a scene which has the input field, and multiple output conversions shown in a list. Anyone consider this more useful?

Cheers.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by aliki007 View Post
    snip...
    Also I would really love to see the IEEE standard for converting decimal float-to-hex and hex-to-decimal float.
    IEEE-754 Floating-Point Conversion from Floating-Point to Hexadecimal
    IEEE-754 Floating-Point Conversion from 32-bit Hexadecimal to Floating-Point
    Nice idea. I actually had a use for this at work yesterday. Its on the list now.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Thanks for adding the torque conversions. Very handy.

ian
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Thanks for the numlock. Much easier to start using the app. Nice work!
    I just ran into some conversions it doesn't have that I would like to see added. For length milimeters. Computer bytes, KB, MB, GB, TB, bits, kb, mb, gb. I haven't run into any other units I've needed that aren't in it. But for reference check out Freeware Palm: Converter v2.2. The author Matt Marsh made the most comprehensive converter I have ever seen. It did everything I needed or wanted and then some. I was looking for a way to contact the author but the domain name appears to no longer belong to him. I was going to find out if he would make one for webOS but since I seen unit wizard some time back I figured it could become the ultimate converter for webOS like the other one was for palmOS.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I'd like to see a converter program that converts (kilograms or grams, etc) to pounds and ounces, instead of just decimal pounds. The reverse would be more complicated, I guess...