Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    A simple application that allows you to check the availability of any domain, as well as the WHOIS information for a domain, provided it is registered.

I needed a simple app to check for domain availability because I do it often, so this solved just that problem!

It also shows the WHOIS information provided by the domain registrar including DNS information and domain ownership info.

Let me know if you see any bugs

Credit and thanks goes to remix2000 for the icon!

Download the latest version in the Homebrew Apps Gallery: WHOIS Mobile
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/29/2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: add link to Homebrew apps
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Nice, simple, yet useful application. Good job!

I haven't found any bugs yet but here are some (hopefully) simple improvement suggestions:

1. Allow me to use the Return key on my keypad in addition to the Go! button.

2. When entering the domain, disable to auto-cap of the first character.

3. When scrolling down keep the top section with the name of the domain locked.

4. Once I click on the Go! button move the focus back to the domain text field. It saves me an extra step when I want to check for domains with different extensions (i.e. .com, .org, .net, etc.)
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Hey Don, thanks for the list of suggestions! Those are all great. I'll get to it real soon and try to get an update out in the next few days.
    I added a note in the opening post:

Download the latest version in the Homebrew Apps Gallery: WHOIS Mobile

- Craig
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Thanks Craig! :-)
    Fantastic app, as a web developer I'm constantly checking the availability of domains. I could have used this last week in fact, I was with a client and there was no internet connection.
    nice, also a web developer (or i try to be at least lol).. so will come in handy! will be cool when talking to a potential new client.. on yeah give me 1 sec and i can tell you that your domain is actually available.. get them excited about it and lock in the deal!!!!

thx
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Would the ability to save or email yourself a domain name be handy? Any suggestions here? I'm a web developer too, so I'm wonder what features could make this better... Maybe the ability to see what extensions are available for a given name?
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    Maybe the ability to see what extensions are available for a given name?
    Yeah, I mean if it could tell you .com is taken, but not .net, that would be really neat. Most sites do that.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Simple, but potentially useful...thanks!
  11. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    great tool, how about adding function for IP lookup?

I would love to have other dos like tools for ping, tracert and ipconfig (especially when connecting over wifi).
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    mk3- great suggestion. I'll add that to the list! I'm working on updating this as we speak so hopefully I can roll it out soon. Just trying to balance a social life and work and school. Haha! Glad people are using it though!
  13. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Cool, let us know when it's ready!
  14. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    BUMP.

Any updates yet?
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I'm redoing this from scratch to make it more stable, and so that I can hopefully get it into the official app catalog.

I don't want to make any promises on time, but I am actively working on it, and am hoping to get there soon. Just trying to tackle 30 different things in my life at one time, I know many of you can relate to that!
  16. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Got it! Thanks for the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    ......It'd be nice if EuroDNS had an API so you could do a worldwide scan, but I don't think they do.
    We have an API for our domain name resellers: https://agent.api-eurodns.com/docume...http/index.php

If this applies to you, pls contact us at sales@eurodns.com
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    The new version of this app will support over 400 global and international domain extensions.