View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 9 of 88 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    I can't go to http://localhost/ampache. I've downloaded ampache but I feel really stupid when I look at the installation instructions. I guess I'm giving up.
    If you've forwarded the port to 8888 and changed the httpd.conf file to reflect that, then you need to use the port in all your addresses, even localhost

http://localhost:8888/ampache
    on xampp, I can't even tell how to tell what the default port settings are. At least I knew that on mamp.

Really lost. Really frustrated.

Again, here's where I am:

I've downloaded, and installed, ampache.
    I'm running xampp on my mac.

http://localhost/ampache works.
    BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com works.

I can't figure out how to get to it via my pre, at all.

I've got ampache mobile installed.
    I've used http://<my ip>/ampache as the url.
    I've used "root" as my username and no password, as that was the default setup.

I'm getting an "empty response" error.

???????????
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    was supposed to just say "localhost."
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    did you set up a cataloge? can you go to http://<yourip>:<yourport>/ampache on your computer? If its running your should get to a login. If you can, then the problem is with ampache moblie.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    now what? I still can't connect to the server via my phone.
    Now you have to configure apache, and then set it up so that it works with your ip, and then you should at least have it working on wifi.

to configure apache, go to the ampachpre page here: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ampachpre.html

You should be on step 3, ignore sub-steps A and B because it seems like you already have that. work your way to the end of these instructions and it should work on wifi

Edit: you should also probably put your ports back to 80. you probably don't even have to change it to 8888
    For those of you on vista32, (and probably other windows versions) I quickly threw together a guide for AmpachPre showing you step by step how to get ampache and xampp setup.

you can find it here

http://nucleardecay.net/pre/Ampache-...vista32bit.pdf

You can put this on the op if you like bj

Nice work on this app btw
    officially: I give up.

Thanks anyway.
    I'm pretty much a beginner at all of this, but I've managed to get Ampache installed on my computer. (Mac, running OSX 10.4.11). But when I try to add a catalog, it says that the path is not readable or does not exist. The path that I'm using is /Users/Marcus/Music/iTunes. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks. :-)
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgmarcus View Post
    I'm pretty much a beginner at all of this, but I've managed to get Ampache installed on my computer. (Mac, running OSX 10.4.11). But when I try to add a catalog, it says that the path is not readable or does not exist. The path that I'm using is /Users/Marcus/Music/iTunes. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks. :-)
    I had this problem too, I think it's because you have to change the permissions of the folder, right click on the "music" and "Itunes" folders and select "get info" on both. go into "ownership and permissions" and under "details" in the drop down menu, put "read only" for "group" and "others"
    That worked, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tredftw View Post
    I had this problem too, I think it's because you have to change the permissions of the folder, right click on the "music" and "Itunes" folders and select "get info" on both. go into "ownership and permissions" and under "details" in the drop down menu, put "read only" for "group" and "others"
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Set everything up a few minutes ago and it's working perfectly on the pre, this is a really great app! Awesome work!
    I'm assuming ampache is superior to daap in that it can serve up video as well? I just glanced at the manpage. I use firefly for all my media server needs. Do you think it would be similar in setting a daap client in the same way this ampache client works?

Do you use avahi? Does the pre even have multicast dns? Or Rendezvous? I know Apple screwed third party apps that used to connect to iTunes daap servers, but it would certainly help those still running other media server's using the open daap. Maybe I should switch to amarok and ampache...?
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but would this app connect to Squeezecenter or does it only communicate with a server running Ampache?
  14.    #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by wturnerharris View Post
    I'm assuming ampache is superior to daap in that it can serve up video as well? I just glanced at the manpage. I use firefly for all my media server needs. Do you think it would be similar in setting a daap client in the same way this ampache client works?
    I haven't looked at the daap protocol at all but it has to do the same thing. So operation might be similar. One thing that ampache is vastly superiour on is security. They have the ability to restrict access down to a single ip for various features and support for multiple users.

I've used just about everything. I have a open daap server running along side ampache. So i can stream to itunes. I ended up going with Ampache for my internet streaming needs because I liked the WebUI and one thing that always bugged me about daap servers is that they tend to be slow, ampache is much more snappy.

A daap client would be pretty cool. Someone listening take my code and add that .

Do you use avahi? Does the pre even have multicast dns? Or Rendezvous?
    Usually just resort to bonjour. On the pre i haven't the slightest

I know Apple screwed third party apps that used to connect to iTunes daap servers, but it would certainly help those still running other media server's using the open daap. Maybe I should switch to amarok and ampache...?
    How cool would it have been if apple made it so that iphones could connect to daap servers, it is their protocol after all!
  15.    #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but would this app connect to Squeezecenter or does it only communicate with a server running Ampache?
    I think the answer is in the name. No just Ampache.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    For those of you on vista32, (and probably other windows versions) I quickly threw together a guide for AmpachPre showing you step by step how to get ampache and xampp setup.

you can find it here

http://nucleardecay.net/pre/Ampache-...vista32bit.pdf

You can put this on the op if you like bj

Nice work on this app btw
    This needs to be added to the OP.

I went from nothing to totally up and running in less than 30 minutes!

I'm behind a router so just had to take a couple extra steps, besides that, this guide covers it.

I'm on Windows 7 btw and it worked great.

Thanks!!!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    So, I've used it for the past couple of hours. On a walk and just around the house to fiddle with it.

First thing I see, and something you already mention as coming, is the need for queuing of some sort. Even if it's just 15 or 30 seconds of the next track. That would be a big leap forward imho. Still, it's quite functional as is.

Second thing, I would really love to see the tap to play/pause and flick left/right for next/prev gestures added. It's an intuitive way to work and I can see myself fat fingering a lot when using it in my car. Or if you don't want to do that you might spread the current button set out a little so there's a little more space to work when hitting a control.

But really, bang up job on this. I really dig it!
  18.    #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by logos View Post
    So, I've used it for the past couple of hours. On a walk and just around the house to fiddle with it.

First thing I see, and something you already mention as coming, is the need for queuing of some sort. Even if it's just 15 or 30 seconds of the next track. That would be a big leap forward imho. Still, it's quite functional as is.

Second thing, I would really love to see the tap to play/pause and flick left/right for next/prev gestures added. It's an intuitive way to work and I can see myself fat fingering a lot when using it in my car.

But really, bang up job on this. I really dig it!
    There is actually code in the in the app for pre-buffering the next song and I tried using it for a couple days, it just needs a lot more work. So I disabled it for now, I wanted to release something solid to start with. Personally I hate buggy software. But the cool part is that i've proven that it is technically possible, just have to get the kinks worked out. It's about 2x more complicated than the current music controller code.

I'll look into some gesture support and careful in the car.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Had to tempt fate and try using the video streaming.

No luck so far, my Pre tries to open mp4 video stream in the music streaming app instead of the video app.

Not sure if there is any way to work around that though.
    ok so I deleted xampp, because I'd given up.

Reinstalled it and started from scratch this morning. Installed xampp, and hxxp://localhost works. But when I launch xampp, it tells me another webserver and another mysql server are already using the ports it needs.

This is a totally new problem.