View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 8 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Real quick what version are you running? Whats your cover art situation? Sounds like another XML processing bug.
    I'm currently running Ampache 3.5.1 and I have run the utility to download album art from Amazon before while some of my mp3s have existing embedded art as well.

If you need any more information just let me know.

EDIT: Sorry i'm running Ampache Mobile 0.0.3.
    Quote Originally Posted by fekauffman View Post
    but the fact that Ampache, et al is a pain in the **** to get working for people that are used to Windows installers for everything (myself included) is not even remotely the fault of the developer.
    Nobody in their right mind is saying it's the fault of the developer. in fact most people have thank him/her for the herculean effort.

What you're really saying is that this application requires a disclaimer at the front-- even better, before you download the package-- that says: "YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO UNDERSTAND HOW TO CONFIGURE YOUR OWN AMPACHE SERVER, AS WELL AS HOW THE INTERNET WORKS IN GENERAL." I think that's a reasonable thing to ask for.
    No. Not what i'm saying. There in fact was a very clear disclaimer already. Surely, most people read it. What I'm saying is more from a business perspective and it's this: if you want lots more people to use a product it has to be much easier to use. And disclaimers deter use they don't solve the main issue. It's an issue when half the people in the poll can't get the server working. The problem isn't the app it's the server program.

That's the last i'll mention it. I was not in any way intending to attack bjgeiser, or his efforts. I was merely, identifying a common problem i see when people develop technology based consumer products.
  3.    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by oneEIGHTkevin View Post
    I'm currently running Ampache 3.5.1 and I have run the utility to download album art from Amazon before while some of my mp3s have existing embedded art as well.

If you need any more information just let me know.
    What version of Ampache Mobile?
  4.    #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    That's the last i'll mention it. I was not in any way intending to attack bjgeiser, or his efforts. I was merely, identifying a common problem i see when people develop technology based consumer products.
    Now we just need someone to make a slick boom installer for Ampache on windows.
    What version of Ampache Mobile?
    Oh sorry, 0.0.3
  6.    #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by oneEIGHTkevin View Post
    Oh sorry, 0.0.3
    I'm all about fixing bugs. If you are willing PM me your server url and make me an account.
    Does anyone know how to setup a reverse proxy with apache? For use of reaching a dns hostname for ampache?
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
    Now we just need someone to make a slick boom installer for Ampache on windows.
    That, and a bit of automation and streamlining in the setup.
  9.    #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    That, and a bit of automation and streamlining in the setup.
    Thats actually something that would greatly increase the adoption rate for ampache.
  10.    #150  
    Anyone have some sweet photoshop skills. I kinda am not in love with the icon. Only thing i ask is that its not ripped off from something copyrighted.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Anyone have some sweet photoshop skills. I kinda am not in love with the icon. Only thing i ask is that its not ripped off from something copyrighted.
    I was thinking the same thing. I can whip something up if someone can tell me the dimensions of a Pre icon.
  12.    #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by tredftw View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I can whip something up if someone can tell me the dimensions of a Pre icon.
    60px x 60px 32bit color depth 96 dpi PNG (w/transparency)
    Finally got this to work with EVDO today. I must retract my vote and re-vote to say "It works."

Now the only problem is, I have nearly 4,000 songs so if I load my entire playlist, my Pre runs out of memory.

Otherwise, the majority of my mp3s are not properly ID3 tagged and thus, its not the easiest to search for songs.

Plus, I have a few songs that come up as "Unknown (orphaned)" and the player will not play these for some reason. The location of all my files has not changed. Any ideas?
    DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR FIREWALL AT THE MODEM UNLESS THERE'S ANOTHER FIREWALL RIGHT BEHIND IT.

AT&T is my DSL provider, too. I needed to login in to the modem and configure the firewall to allow HTTP and HTTPS (HTTP was in its catalog of applications, but I had to create HTTPS custom), and THEN assign them to the internal machine I have hosting Ampache.

To get to it from my Pre, I have to use the external IP address of my router.

My two soft spots in this configuration are that my server is DHCP, so it's possible that the port forwarding could become invalidated, and that my external IP address could change, which is what dyn-dns would be useful for. At this point, though, both addresses are stable enough for my purposes.

The additional wrinkle you may have in your network is if you have a router that's separate from your modem. If that second router is performing NAT (and it's likely that it is if you're using 192.168 addresses-- my AT&T router provides 172.16 addresses internally), then you will want to turn off routing/NAT in the router separately so it just acts like a switch, and let the modem handle DHCP internally. This is what I had to do in my configuration, so your mileage will definitely vary.

Once BJ got that bug worked out with the album art, the thing kicked off like a champ. Even just in the house, this is a great solution to get music where I want it-- I can hook my Pre up to any set of speakers lying around the house and put on a great big oul' shuffle. It's superfantastic.

Now, I wonder if there's a way to play Ampache through a Chumby.
    so how would i got about doin this
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Here are some Icons I made:

I'm quite partial to the Black one myself
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Help.

I need more help.

When I load the "localhost" link, my browser tells me I have it installed properly on my mac. So that's good.

I managed to find the port forwarding setup on my airport extreme, and forwarded port 80 to port 8888 (using the local ip, 10.0.x.x, of my mac). Is that right?

I downloaded ampache mobile, set up the "url" as http://<my external ip>/ampache and my username and pw (just "root" right now because I don't know how to change it). Is that also right? If so, why the errors still?

Thanks. I feel like I'm getting close.
    I deleted MAMP and am trying Xampp instead. I've downloaded ampache to my mac, but can't figure out how to install it?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    Help.

I need more help.

When I load the "localhost" link, my browser tells me I have it installed properly on my mac. So that's good.

I managed to find the port forwarding setup on my airport extreme, and forwarded port 80 to port 8888 (using the local ip, 10.0.x.x, of my mac). Is that right?

I downloaded ampache mobile, set up the "url" as external ip>/ampache and my username and pw (just "root" right now because I don't know how to change it). Is that also right? If so, why the errors still?

Thanks. I feel like I'm getting close.
    Okay so just to be sure, you not only have xxamp set up, but you can also go into http://localhost/ampache as well right? If not be sure to install ampache as well using the windows xp instructions I gave you. Then it should be easier. And I don't know too much about port forwarding I have it set up on port 80 however you might have something already on that port.

Edit:
    I deleted MAMP and am trying Xampp instead. I've downloaded ampache to my mac, but can't figure out how to install it?
    use this link: install:windows [Ampache :: Wiki] you should have installed xampp into your applications folder and there should be many other files besides the "xampp control" application. these folders are for setting up your apache server. it isn't like a normal install where you have an installer or a disk image. I'll show you a portion of the installation process for ampache that is on that instructions page to get you started. I'll replace some of the words in order to fit the mac so you can see how to sort of translate some of the windows lingo to fit your mac (changes are bold):

At this point install XAMPP it should install to the Applications/xampp folder.

Now the next thing I did was to unpack Ampache (stable.tar.gz)...unpack it on the desktop...this will result in a file named ampache-3.3.1.7. Rename ampache-3.3.1.7 to be ampache and place ampache in the Applications/xampp/htdocs folder.
    Last edited by tredftw; 08/30/2009 at 09:09 PM.
    I can't go to http://localhost/ampache. I've downloaded ampache but I feel really stupid when I look at the installation instructions. I guess I'm giving up.
    ok...I was able to follow your instructions and get ampache installed...I can go to http://localhost/ampache...

now what? I still can't connect to the server via my phone.
Page 8 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast