View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 74 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2464697071727374757677787984 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 1750
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    Just have to vent....this is a trick to get working. I've not been successful yet. I've installed the server on my home pc, and can get to the login page using the 'local....' address. that's fine.

I have a Linksys Router and am using Norton 360. I've yet been able to figure out how to do the Port Forward thing, or to decide if I even need to. I believe my ISP, Cox, blocks port 80.

I'm studying right now for my Network+ Certification and feel this project is a great way to get me to understand all this.

I just had to vent a little. Wish me luck!!

Great app by the way!
    You'll have to forward to any unused port other than port 80. This can be done by telling your router to forward to port 1600 (for example) and then you'll need to tell you server to listen for Port 1600. I can't remember if that is in PHP.INI in XAMPP (or whatever stack your using) on in Ampache.cfg.php. Maybe someone else may remember where that is at, I remember seeing instructions for that somewhere, but not sure.
  2.    #1462  
    Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    You'll have to forward to any unused port other than port 80. This can be done by telling your router to forward to port 1600 (for example) and then you'll need to tell you server to listen for Port 1600. I can't remember if that is in PHP.INI in XAMPP (or whatever stack your using) on in Ampache.cfg.php. Maybe someone else may remember where that is at, I remember seeing instructions for that somewhere, but not sure.
    Port config is in the apache config file httpd.conf
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    This is the most useful app on my phone hands down at this point (besides Mode Switcher maybe).

The only thing it is missing is bookmark support. AmpachPre has it but I don't like not being able to drag-to-seek like you can in AMobile. Are there any plans to include this in an update? I listen to a couple radio shows that come in hour long segments of a 6 hour show, so it's easy to lose my place. :-(
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Ok i have been working on this for a long time and i cant figure this out. i can log onto ampache from my computer through http://localhost/ampache-3.5.4
    when i try to enter the ip adress in place of local host on my pre and it doesnt connect. (http://173.53.xx.xxx/ampache-3.5.4) i turned off my firewall and everything but still i have no idea whats wrong....
  5.    #1465  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigunesq View Post
    Ok i have been working on this for a long time and i cant figure this out. i can log onto ampache from my computer through http://localhost/ampache-3.5.4
    when i try to enter the ip adress in place of local host on my pre and it doesnt connect. (http://173.53.xx.xxx/ampache-3.5.4) i turned off my firewall and everything but still i have no idea whats wrong....
    Do you have a router if so you will need to setup port forwarding.

See this step by step guide.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  6.    #1466  
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    This is the most useful app on my phone hands down at this point (besides Mode Switcher maybe).

The only thing it is missing is bookmark support. AmpachPre has it but I don't like not being able to drag-to-seek like you can in AMobile. Are there any plans to include this in an update? I listen to a couple radio shows that come in hour long segments of a 6 hour show, so it's easy to lose my place. :-(
    I may do it if I can figure out a way which makes sense. There are a few technical challenges also. The application is written in a way as to never run in the background. In order to be able to save a bookmark when you close the app the entire application would need to be redone, to enable background operation.

Does your radio show have an RSS feed? I use dr podder for all my radio media as that's what its designed for.

Another problem I see is consistency between the app and the server. What would I do with the bookmark if you removed the file from your server? I'm not sure how AmpachPre handles that.

Well, I wouldn't expect anything like auto-bookmarking, I'm sure that would be a big deal to code.

I was thinking something similar to the AmpachePre implementation where it's up to the user to create the bookmark by selecting 'create bookmark' from the app menu.

As far as a missing file, an error message and the ability to swipe away a bookmark to delete it would easily suffice.

I've looked into turning the radio shows into podcasts (they're basically my own recordings off of Sirius Satellite Radio using Replay A/V) but I haven't found a good solution to monitor the folder the files are in and constantly update an RSS feed. Doing it manually ruins the whole point of my automated setup. :-) Honestly either way would work for me in the end, but I honestly much prefer the streaming method over the podcasting method, and I'm also a minimalist who will always try to find 1 app that can handle most of my needs rather than 2 for separate things.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I look forward to maybe seeing this in a future update. :-)
    bjgeiser is there any reason why I can't setup up ampache mobile to be accessed via my local wifi. I can set it up for evdo but everytime i try to setup another account via the http://localhost/ampache I get the error empty response popup. Any suggestions?

I can access ampache via my http://mjcom***.home.net/ampache with no problems.

I can access http://localhost/ampache from my desktop or laptop.

Typing http://localhost/ampache via the browser on the pre give me an unable to load page message. Is there a setting i need to turn on in ampache. I think with local wifi when I am at home would help with any issues and just really want to try it with different profiles

Nevermind I figured it out. Simple mistake on my part! Localhost is my server machine so since the pre isn't the server it couldn't go to that address. I typed
    http://192.168.1.88/ampache and it works fine. Thanks again.
    Last edited by mamouton; 07/10/2010 at 09:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Hmm is there a way to have Ampache Mobile keep an updated view while minimised? It's an extra tap and swipe to say, check the buffer status or which song is playing, then go back to what I was doing.
    I know some fullscreen apps like aniweather keep scrolling their visuals and info while in card view. That'd be nice.
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
  10.    #1470  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    Hmm is there a way to have Ampache Mobile keep an updated view while minimised? It's an extra tap and swipe to say, check the buffer status or which song is playing, then go back to what I was doing.
    I know some fullscreen apps like aniweather keep scrolling their visuals and info while in card view. That'd be nice.
    To do what you are describing the dashboard would need to be turned off. Basically I update either the dashboard or the main screen. If you disable the dashboard then the main screen is always updated.

This was by choice because it was easier to code and is far less processor intensive when the app is in the background.

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    To do what you are describing the dashboard would need to be turned off. Basically I update either the dashboard or the main screen. If you disable the dashboard then the main screen is always updated.

This was by choice because it was easier to code and is far less processor intensive when the app is in the background.
    Thanks, I didn't know about that!
    I kind of prefer it without the dashboard anyway... makes my screen jump and resize too much.
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
    Ampache Mobile has been so awesome. Recently my wife and i put a new car radio in her car, it is set to connect to phones via bluetooth with a little mic on the Radio in the dash for handsfree phone calls.
    First thing i tested was Ampache Mobil via this blue tooth connection. I'm able to Stream the music from my home computer and play it over the car radio via the blue tooth connection in my pixi. It's allowed me to keep a much larger choice of music on long car rides, instead of being limited to cd, sd cards or USB drives with small capacities to play in the radio.
    Thanks for allt he hard work!
    Hello Bjgeiser, with Ampache Mobile, what I/O Scheduler & TCP congestion algorithm do you think would minimize the potential of Ampache Mobile for sending duplicate callback requests for the stream URL of a song? The I/O scheduler I'm testing is NoOP out of the kernel selections of CFQ, Anticipatory, and NoOP as well as TCP Congestion algorithm Westwood(+?) out of the choices for Westwood, YeAH, Illinois, Reno, and Vegas. From my understanding NoOP would be the most optimal for the Pre as it is a flash based DD system, and I'm using Westwood, but I've read that it's not as efficient with data duplexing for callbacks... but Nothing stands out real well. I thought Illinois may work better to prevent multiple requests from Ampache Mobile/AmpachePre, but it didn't prevent this. I'm using some of the new bleading edge kernels were these settings can be specifies and I wanted to hear your input on this.
  14.    #1474  
    Hello Bjgeiser, with Ampache Mobile, what I/O Scheduler & TCP congestion algorithm do you think would minimize the potential of Ampache Mobile for sending duplicate callback requests for the stream URL of a song? The I/O scheduler I'm testing is NoOP out of the kernel selections of CFQ, Anticipatory, and NoOP as well as TCP Congestion algorithm Westwood(+?) out of the choices for Westwood, YeAH, Illinois, Reno, and Vegas. From my understanding NoOP would be the most optimal for the Pre as it is a flash based DD system, and I'm using Westwood, but I've read that it's not as efficient with data duplexing for callbacks... but Nothing stands out real well. I thought Illinois may work better to prevent multiple requests from Ampache Mobile/AmpachePre, but it didn't prevent this. I'm using some of the new bleading edge kernels were these settings can be specifies and I wanted to hear your input on this.
    Not sure what you mean by sending duplicate requests. Also I wouldn't expect changes at the level you are discussing to have much impact on audio streaming.

All SDK apps are essentially a web site, they run in a web-kit window which is really no different than the actual browser in WebOS. That web-kit window provides an audio interface which gives the application basic audio controls (start a stream, play, pause, skip). On the operating system side of things these web-kit windows interface to gstreamer, a standalone linux application which handles the buffering and audio playback. So the flow looks like this.

Ampache Mobile -> WebKit -> gstreamer -> OS

In truth gstreamer does all the heavy lifting, I would expect most bugs related to audio streaming to be contained there, which would mean changing parameters of the operating system would have little affect.

Thanks for an explaination of how those systems work, then it must be gstreamer that is resubmitting the stream URL request to Ampache. The problem is that if there is a problem with the command line transcoding process and gstreamer doesn't get the file in a timely manner, then ampache receives another request for the song. In task manager I can see this playing out where if everything works fine then I'll only have one process for each program used (command prompt, mp3splt, lame, and aacpluenc) with the CPU being used on my server in burst until the file is transcoded. When it strats to fail I'll see multiple executions of each program in Task Manager, some times over 10 additional copies of each program, between 3 encoders and the command prompt thats 40 programs running at once each utilizing 0-5% of mty CPU, none executing a final product. What the end result is is a Media Decode Error, then I have to quit accessing my server, give my computer several minutes to clear out the processes, and try again.

I've found that chaning the I/O Scheduler to "Anticipatory" and TCP Congestion avoidance algorithm to "YeAH" helps possible because it adjusts how data read/write requests for buffering is handled as well as packet management is handled, allowing for a more efficient process to take place, thus preventing gstreamer from spamming my server with requests for the same song URL. This is my hypothesis, however, and I'm not really sure how I could qualify this with any kind of evidence, only observations.
    Hey Bjgeiser, I see that the Hot Apps contest closed, I hope you won some money on that.

I finally got Ampache setup on Linux... I found that my problem was that I kept trying to compile everything from scratch using source code and that when I just used the stacks in the repositories, everything worked. So, that was an FYI to a Linux noob from my CS friends who didn't understand why I just wasn't doing "apt-get" for all that stuff. I had to explain that in Windows you have to find install programs and install them and stuff, and sometimes even pay for software... they had some mighty lulZ at that
    ok, first off great app , i was able to get it setup and working within a couple of hrs. everything works fine on my palm pre. i can stream both music and video using both wifi and evdo. problem is when i access the site via a web browser I am only able to stream music inside and outside my local network. when ever i try to stream a video using the .m3u file , ive tried quicktime, vlc, real media player, windows media player and winamp , nothing happens. funny thing is i copy and paste the same url , that all of the media players are using , into a browser and the video file starts to download. Ive looked all over precentral , ampache wiki forums and google with no luck.

any help will be appreciated
  18.    #1478  
    Hey Bjgeiser, I see that the Hot Apps contest closed, I hope you won some money on that.
    Unfortunately an app that requires you to install a web server doesn't get you many downloads, didn't win a thing.

19.    #1479  
    Quote Originally Posted by crownanddrpepper View Post
    ok, first off great app , i was able to get it setup and working within a couple of hrs. everything works fine on my palm pre. i can stream both music and video using both wifi and evdo. problem is when i access the site via a web browser I am only able to stream music inside and outside my local network. when ever i try to stream a video using the .m3u file , ive tried quicktime, vlc, real media player, windows media player and winamp , nothing happens. funny thing is i copy and paste the same url , that all of the media players are using , into a browser and the video file starts to download. Ive looked all over precentral , ampache wiki forums and google with no luck.

any help will be appreciated
    The video part of Ampache is rather hackish currently. I believe work is underway to remedy this in 3.6.

Sounds like your issue is related to Ampache more so than this app. Try posting on their forum and see if you can get any pointers. Personally I dont really use the video functionality in Ampache.

Ampache and Ampache Mobile are pretty slick! Setting up the server on the PC end takes a bit of effort, but the Ampache Mobile interface and music streaming works very well. The only glitch I had with Am Mobile is that when streaming music using EVDO the song would stop playing prematurely after it finished downloading the data and started downloading the next song in the album list. I had to set the Preferences in Am Mobile to "# of Buffers" = 1 to prevent this. Otherwise, it works great.

One nice thing would be to stream video also (which it should be able to do according to the docs). I haven't been able to get it identify my video files on my PC as of yet, so I'm still working on this.

Definitely better than trying to use ZumoDrive, DropBoxify, or Orb for this type of streaming.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist